Consumer Reviews of Trane heat pumps

Read more about Trane heat pumps

<< Previous1234567891011121314151617181920Next >>

Date created: 2015-11-02 Location: Woodland, Wa

"Thumbs up on our Trane Heat Pump"
We have had our Trane heat pump for about 8 years now. I wasn't sure what a heat pump was when we first looked into getting one. After 8 years though, I love it and can't image going back to any other heating and cooling source. It does a great job of heating and cooling, and we have never had to get it repaired. We do, however, keep up on annual maintenance, and that is a must to keep your heat pump functioning properly. The only thing I do not like about ours is that it is all electric. Other than that, it is going strong, heats and cools well, and requires minimal care. I would happily recommend this brand to anyone, and buy a heat pump from Trane again.

Date created: 2015-10-15 Location: Jesup, GA

"Trane Heat Pump"
I have owned my Trane heat pumps for 4 1/2 years. I actually have two units as I live in a two story house. It was in the home we purchased, so the units are actually 16 years old. In the four years I have lived here, we have had a transistor go out on one of the units twice which meant a call to the AC repair guy. Overall, it does pretty good. I'm not going to say my home is weather proof and we have single pane windows. We keep the thermostat set at 76 in the summer and 68 in the winter. To me, the upstairs, even with the thermostat at 76, is only comfortable. But I think with double pane windows and some more installation in the roof, it would be quite nice. The downstairs stays really cool in the summer even when it's 100 outside. During the winter, the house is really warm, no problems there. I can't really say I dislike anything about the Trane units. They are not really noisy and they do the job. The transistor only cost $100 including labor to repair, which is not too bad taking into account that the units are 16 years old. I would definitely buy this brand again and most certainly recommend Trane to other people. However, I will note that the AC service company we used to repair our unit said that they are going to quit selling Trane units as the parts are getting hard to get, so that may be something to keep in mind. I would ask around and make sure if something goes wrong with it that there is a service company that deals with Trane and can get the parts. Other than that, it's a great heat pump.

Date created: 2015-08-12 Name: KCS
Location: Evans, GA

"Another coil leak"
We replaced our heat pump 9 years ago with a Trane system. The first two years were fine and since then we have had problem after problem. The main issue is the coils. The coils are made from aluminum. This means when they leak they must replace the whole coil, not patch it like you would in a copper system. Right after the first warranty ran out there was a leak and we had to replace the condenser coils. I found out then that Trane had several problems with those coils and were now using a different type. So bad batch. Now we have another leak, another set of coils to replace (of course not the same ones under warranty). I do not blame the company that sold and maintain the unit as they tried very hard to work in our favor and greatly discounted the last replacement we had to do. I am disappointed that a company that advertises heavily about long lasting units should be having such problems and have to wonder if there is any recourse possible due to the amount of complaints they seem to be getting. Because we have a new warranty on the other set of coils that were replaced we have decided to give Trane one more chance but should it fail again, probably in 5 years when the warranty expires then we will have to consider just getting a whole new system from another company.

Date created: 2015-06-30 Name: Brenda L
Location: Morganton, NC

"Please don't waste your $$"
I had this Trane unit installed 8 months ago when my old unit that came with my mobile home when it was made in 1992 started giving me minor problems. I just wish I could get my old system back! Today is June 30 and it's 98 degrees in here, since the unit quit working today. I called the company which installed it, Century Systems in Lenoir, North Carolina, and was told it would be over a week before someone could come out!! I asked if they didn't do emergency calls and was told that if I wanted someone sent out as an emergency call, my warranty would not cover the call! I'm just getting started with putting Trane and Century Services names and their shoddy service before the public...reviews, then social media, then our local consumer investigative TV reporter, then the Better Business Bureau, whatever it takes. Trane is not making units like they did 20 or 30 years ago. They must now be made in China or else they are using plastic Chinese parts! After reading hundreds of reviews, I now know that this is just the beginning of nothing but trouble from this heat pump. Not to mention that my electric bills have gone up! From $50 to $70 more per month! And this is supposed to be a very energy efficient system. Do yourself a favor and buy anything other than Trane.

Date created: 2015-05-15 Name: Mike
Location: Columbus, OH

"Trane makes garbage"
I bought a heat pump and furnace 10 years ago. I had warranty repairs during the warranty period and many costly repairs after the warranty. Today, I get the news that the second compressor is bad along with other parts with a recommendation to replace the system. This has been the costliest HVAC system I've owned. Terrible.

Date created: 2015-05-01 Location: Phoenix, AZ

"Small, Quiet and Lower Operating Costs"
I have two air conditioning systems and live in a neighborhood where the only heating choice is electric. One of my systems failed two years ago and I replaced it with the Trane heat pump. In years past, I had investigated units made by Trane. They had an excellent reputation with a low repair rate, but had such a high initial cost that I had chosen other brands. This was in the face of recommendations by my brother who does HVAC installation and repair in another state 1000 miles away. However, I learned that in recent years Trane had become more competitive and the first cost of units with similar SEERs were pretty close to other competitors. This unit is much smaller than the 2.5 ton unit that it replaced. I could not walk around the old unit because it was too close to my house and the wall(a Phoenix term for our stucco over block fence). I can easily walk around the new unit. The units sits outside one bedroom and close to the window of a bathroom. The old unit was noticeably noisy when it operated. This unit is much quieter which is very nice. Finally, the old unit was an SEER of 10 and the law now requires a minimum of a 13 SEER. But I learned that an old unit declines in efficiency and may have been operating more like an SEER of 6 or 7. In any event, my electric bill declined $220 for the year following the installation even though our electric company had a slight rate increase. I am pleased with the purchase and have recommended the model to my son for his home.

Date created: 2015-01-29 Name: Joyce Shepperd
Location: Fernandina Beach, FL

"Never buy a Trane unit"
I purchased a Trane unit in 2011. Thankfully, I also purchased a 10-year extended warranty. It's had numerous problems since installing. The compressor went out in December 2014 and had to be replaced. Every time the weather changes, the unit goes out. The company who installed my unit has been wonderful about taking care of all the issues. They are just as perplexed as I am over the issues with this unit. I contacted Trane directly but there was no resolution from them. I will never purchase another Trane unit. Lots of money spent on a useless piece of equipment.

Date created: 2015-01-19 Name: Charles Gaskins
Location: Ayden, NC

"Five years and the Trane stopped"
After just 5 years of service, I lost the cooling system on a Saturday in July after spending over $900.00 on a repair; it was a factory defect that caused the failure. Three months later the heat would not start. This came from the moisture in the line from the first failure, another $850.00. I called the company and voiced my concern; after numerous calls, they helped with $150.00.

Date created: 2015-01-12 Name: Wayne Roberts
Location: Campbell River, BC

"Worst service ever"
Our first Trane ran off the rails 3 years early. It took 9 months to finally get something done. We had to replace the heat pump to find out they would only warranty it for 5 years, not the advertised 12. They told us that it was because new R-22 wasn't put in by the Trane rep. If I was told that before installing it, which I wasn't, I would have had them install new R-22! I highly recommend staying away from Trane products because of poor service and a total lack of communication between Trane and their local reps. The guys in charge are obviously too full of themselves to care about their customers!

Date created: 2014-12-20 Name: Joe
Location: Lynchburg, VA

"Trane disappoints"
Installed in 2011. The air handler in the basement produces a hum even when off (transformer?) and leaks large amounts of air through the panels. You can feel the air leaking when you stand next to it. The service company has come out several times. This makes it noisy as the air leaks out. In the end they taped the panels up. This was somewhat effective but it looks like crap. It's still noisy. I expected more from Trane. Other than that, I have had no other problems. Would likely not buy Trane again.

<< Previous1234567891011121314151617181920Next >>