Consumer Reviews of TRANE heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2014?

Read more about TRANE heat pumps

<< Previous910111213141516171819202122232425262728Next >>

Date created: 2010-02-25 Name: B. Crowley

"Consultant"
This unit, Trane 14Ti heat pump, was supposd to be the most efficient unit available. Installed in 2/03 and lasted until 12/05, when the whole heat pump had a catastrophic anurism and died a fast death while I was on vacation. Obviously, during the week I was gone, the 15Kw strip heater was heating my home. Serious electric bill this time. The unit was restored and lasted for a couple of years. Then, there was more of the same problem. The unit freezes up when the weather and temp. is below about 36 degrees F. It will not defrost properly. In summary, I have had this unit for 7 years and my electric bills have never been higher in the winter. The old, 17 and 15 year old Rheem and Ruud units were more efficent and I had much lower electric bills with these units. The Trane rep has been here twice and the unit was rebuilt and still does not work correctly. This unit cannot effectively defrost when the weather is cold and humid.

Date created: 2010-02-25 Name: Brant

"Purchased two Trane 16seer heat pumps"
Thinking we would save time and money, I reluctantly decided to update our 18 year old ac/furnace units with two 16 seer heat pumps by Trane. I thought, this would prevent us from needing to worry about those cold winters and hot summers. Huge mistake! Each year since they were installed, they have broken down, each time with something different. First, it was a coil (which is never suppose to go bad), especially the first year!, Second, some switch on the unit outside, third the same switch, forth the ignitor switch! Trane- Start investing in your technology, not your commercials!!!

Date created: 2010-02-22 Name: Julie U.

"Trane heatpump problems"
I bought a Trane heat pump and furnace in August 2006. In February 2009 after only 2 1/2 years, the bearings in the heatpump condenser fan motor locked up. I had the motor replaced. The part was covered under warranty, labor cost $99 plus tax since I had an annual agreement. I also had regular annual maintenance done on the unit every year. Now a year later, it is starting to make the same squealing noise. Am I going to have to replace this every year?! I have not had any problems with the furnace but I am very disappointed in the heat pump.

Date created: 2010-02-22 Name: Joan Morton

"Joan Morton"
Our home is 10 1/2 years old. The first heat pumps compressor went out at 5 1/2 yrs old. We were advised to replace the whole unit. That was installed 4/25/2005. About 12 months later, a defrost circuit went out. Part under warranty, $125 labor. Today, the compressor is being replaced. Part under warranty, $700 labor. I assumed this type of equipment would last a little longer. Next problem, we go to another brand!

Date created: 2010-02-19 Name: T. M. M.

"Trane XL15i Heat Pump"
My heat pump has worked perfectly since day one. Highly recommended.

Date created: 2010-02-17 Name: Tom Hutchisson

"Multiple Trane 13i failures"
We own two Trane 13I Heat Pumps. Collectively, we have replaced 2 fan motors, 2 coils, reversing valves, ambient temp sensors, coil sensors, a compressor, refrigerant too many times to admit, contactors, and all to boot. The units freeze up time and time again. They bang the fan blades against the coils as they will not defrost. We have over 3000 dollars in repair costs on what is a fairly new and high end unit. I fly large commercial airplanes for a living. I know systems and these units are junk, plain and simple. The factory trained rep cannot keep them running. They even admit that Trane now has intense quality issues. I went 11 days without heat in this winter due to Trane not supporting their product. To the HVAC contributor in this forum who thought everyone else was crazy, you are as deaf as the regional Trane rep I have tried repeatedly to discuss this with. If Trane had any sense of consumer care, they would either replace their lemons or offer prorated cash buyouts. Junk is junk and Trane has made my life miserable because of it. Do yourself a favor, buy a Carrier or similar. Never had an issue with a Carrier.

Date created: 2010-02-05 Name: M. Taylor

"TRANE Heat Pump"
We replaced our old system with the new Trane and had problems with it for the first 3 years. Now that all of the moving components have been replaced, it is doing fine. We replaced our second system with a Trane last year and we had a problem with it within the first few months. The fan failed due to a design flaw, it was replaced. If I were given a choice to buy another Trane product, I would look else where first.

Date created: 2010-02-04 Name: J. Barens
Location: GA

"Trane 16I comfort link"
Very quiet, smooth running system. Have 3 ton on main and 2 ton upstairs. Heating 2700 sq. ft. with just the 3 ton main floor unit. Cold December in Ga this year. Bill was $200.00 in a well-insulated house. Not bad but had hoped for better savings. I hope the cooling turns out to be better than the heating. Very hot summers here in Ga.

Date created: 2010-02-01 Name: C. Goodwin

"No more Trane heat pumps"
Replaced our seven year old Trane heat pump as the starting capacitor and a small valve went bad on the compressor. Dealer said it was not worth fixing as the cost would be over a thousand dollars. They installed a new unit, 4twr5 outside and a new air handler with 10,000 Kw heatstrips model 4tee3f40b1000. Very nice installation job with no complaints. Problem is when the temperature gets to 30 degrees the unit runs 24 hours a day and can't heat the house to 68 degrees and the house is only 1600 sq. ft. So far when the temperature is down to about 35 we turn the heat pump off and heat the house with the fireplace and it keeps the house at 78 degrees. When summer comes were going to have another brand installed. This was $6,000 down the drain.

Date created: 2010-02-01 Name: Really Mad

"Peeved"
This unit was installed when our house was built 8 years ago. The outside unit lasted one year, the compressor failed, the entire unit was replaced. In the past 5 years, we have had to replace the compressor twice, the condensor motor, contactor, defrost sensor, expansion valve, ambient temperature sensor and have had to have the unit recharged several times due to the freon leaking somewhere they can't find the leak. The lines running from the inside unit to the outside were replaced, they also added a hard start kit. We had the unit inspected twice year to maintain a warranty. Today, I am performing an activity that has become nearly routine for me, waiting for a repair since it is not working again. I contacted Trane and outlined the problems we've had. Never heard any reply from them. It's only been one month since it broke last time, and since our warranty has now expired we have to pay for these repairs. Never never never buy a Trane!!! This is the 5th heat pump I've had in my life, but the only Trane. It's also the only one I've ever had trouble with.

<< Previous910111213141516171819202122232425262728Next >>