Consumer Reviews of Trane heat pumps

Read more about Trane heat pumps

<< Previous89101112131415161718192021222324252627Next >>

Date created: 2010-04-10 Name: S. Blythe

"Unhappty with Trane"
We replaced our functional but old heat pump with what we thought would be a much more efficient unit. This unit never cooled the house down. We had the installers out numerous times during the first year, and they kept telling us there was nothing wrong, even though it was running 22 hours a day, and at ten o'clock at night it would be cooler outdoors than in the house. After sending a certified letter demanding a new unit, an older and apparently more experienced technician showed up, looked at the unit, and said "they had the internal switches in the wrong position". It worked ok for the next year, and then after our next service call it went back to not working so well. We were told the coil was bad, and replaced that - under warranty but about $450 labor. That didn't help it much. We now have a unit that doesn't work at all - we were told that it has a coolant leak, but they can't find the leak, so they should replace the coil again. We had another company come out, and they said the compressor is not working - and that in fact this unit has two compressors, and it appears that one has never run at all. We could, of course, replace the compressor (under warranty) for $900 labor, but we are going to replace the whole unit - and it will definitely not be a Trane!

Date created: 2010-04-09 Name: J. Cortese

"Unsatisified homeowner"
I replaced my heating and air conditioning system four years ago by a so-called certified Trane company. What a piece of junk! I've had to call the service guys three times and the unit is still leaking gas. Do I have to have my unit serviced every year? If I would have known that this was happening, I would have bought some other kind of system.

Date created: 2010-04-07 Name: C. Pope

"Trane heat pump"
I have had a Trane xe12 3-ton heat pump for 17 years. Last year, it needed a new contractor. The first and only service call since it was new. I have neglected it by not having yearly checkups. If it works leave it alone, I say. Today, I am having a new XL15i with 2spd air handler installed, only because of the govt and utility rebates being offered. I'm hoping for lower electric bills with this new unit. I can recommend Trane with confidence.

Date created: 2010-04-06 Name: Rick Morrow

"Satisfied Homeowner"
We have a Trane Heatpump Model bwd 730a. It's a 2.5 ton Weathertron. It has never let us down in 22 years. I can't imagine how many thousands of dollars it has saved us over the gas furnaces many of our neighbors have. I'm worried that when the time comes, will I be able to buy a unit of equal quality. I know the new units have seer ratings in the teens and from what I read ours is a 7.5 seer and a 6.05 hspf. Maybe the older units just weren't pushed to their limits?

Date created: 2010-04-02 Name: Robert B. Martin Jr.

"Robert Martin"
Compressor went bad after 8 years. I had another identical heat pump. That compressor went bad after 9 years.

Date created: 2010-04-01 Name: J. Smith

"Its hard to get a NEW TRANE to run correctly"
I have a new Trane xl high efficiency heat pump. It was installed at our new home. We have had the unit for just over 2 years and it has cost us thousands of dollars to keep it running. The dealer has swapped hands and Trane allows dealers to swap between family members, thus allowing the customer to fend for themselves. I have had freon put in my unit at least 5 times in 2 years. Had to finally have the entire freon line completely replaced. My dealer came out and the freon leak was much worse after he did the work. It would hold freon for weeks instead of months after he finished his "work". I refused to pay and he sued for $500. I paid him and hired another Trane dealer to come in and fix his "crap". It is cheaper to pay the sorry work of my dealer than to hire a lawyer and fight the battle in court. Trane corp offices were informed and given detailed records and invoices. They gave me lots of lip service and said that they are not responsible for the folks that installed their units. A bunch of bunk for the mfg to have no concerns for poor quality work by installers of their equipment.

Date created: 2010-03-30 Name: Becky Murray

"Distributor problems"
We bought the Trane heat pump as a replacement for a Janitrol unit which was a total waste of money. We have been pretty happy with the Trane's performance and did notice an immediate reduction in cost after it was installed. Our unit is still under warranty and recently the defrost panel went out on it. This has resulted in our having to use the unit on emergency heat rather than heat pump setting in order not to further damage the unit. This has been going on since the end of February and we are now at the end of March and it seems that the part we need to fix the heat pump is no longer made in this country so it is currently unavailable. We were told that the part might be in at the end of March and then again it might not, so I contacted Trane customer service and was told that "they" had no control over parts for their units and all of that was handled by their distributors who decided what parts to stock. I pointed out that it was Trane's reputation that would be damaged with this kind of poor service, not the distributors, and asked to speak to a supervisor about the situation. I was sent to a voice mail and left a message but have not been contacted by anyone at Trane. So much for it being "hard to stop a Trane" - apparently sending jobs overseas will stop them!!

Date created: 2010-03-30 Name: C. Cleveland

"Carol"
Unit is quiet and efficient. Keeps the house on the temperature we set on thermostat. Have had no repairs.

Date created: 2010-03-27 Name: Moir

"25 YHEARS AND STILL GOING"
I am in a home with an 1884 heat pump. Stilll running with no problems since I owned my home. I will replace it soon with the same.

Date created: 2010-03-25 Name: Glenn

"GLENN, WATKINSVILLE, GA"
I have owned a Trane lx1200 & xe1200 for the past 15 years. Other than yearly routine maint. issues, I have not had any problems whatsoever. Trane heat pumps are an excellent product. They are built to last and the company that installed them are very honest and reliable. Those people who have had bad problems with a Trane have either not taken care of the unit, or it was installed by some fly by night installer.

<< Previous89101112131415161718192021222324252627Next >>