Consumer Reviews of Trane heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2017?

Read more about Trane heat pumps

<< Previous89101112131415161718192021222324252627Next >>

Date created: 2010-06-11 Name: Hbaran
Location: South

"We Love It"
We own one of the Trane Dual Fuel heat pumps/gas packs. This unit lowered my monthly natural gas bills from around $250 to $50. In doing this, it raised my electric bill by only about $10 per month. Have had no problems with the unit and it handles our "Southern Heat" with ease. I am getting ready to replace out upstairs HVAC equipment and it will be a Trane once again.

Date created: 2010-06-10 Name: S. Porter

"Defect Trane Heat Pumps"
Trane is shipping heat pump units with a crimped 1/2 copper tubing. The crimped tube is located in the exterior unit, can only be seen with the cover taken off and is located on the wrong side of the charging valves. (I have photos if anyone needs them). It appears that the tube has to be bent after it is installed into the main copper tube line in order for the exterior cover to fit. For less than a dollar, Trane could purchase a machine turned 90 degree piece of 1/2" tubing than is not bent by hand and crimped. I just spent $900 for two freon charges and the labor cost to repair the copper tubing. I know enough about the Trane policies to understand that they will say the warranty will not cover this, however, in Small Claims court I can prove that it is a defective unit! I have been involved in the retail and wholesale hardware industry for 30 years, and have expert witnesses that will provide documentation that the strength of copper under pressure is greatly reduced when intentionally bent without the proper equipment. I have more time on my hands than I need, and Small Claims court will be much more costly for them than me. I am also sending the documentation to my buddies from my previous corporate life at the CPSC in Washington.

Date created: 2010-06-01 Name: Erin Sheffield

"Trane XL 1200"
It worked ok up until the warranty was up then everything just stopped working. Every time the temperature goes outside the 50-70 degree range, it doesn't work properly. At the first cold snap or heat wave every year, we have to call for service on it and then it will work ok for about 3 months before it starts having issues again. I have replaced so many parts on this dratted thing I could have bought a new unit from a better manufacturer. "Can't stop a Trane" ha! More like "can't start a Trane". Terrible unit, if you are looking for a new unit, don't get a Trane.

Date created: 2010-05-14 Name: R. Kmak

"Beware"
Replaced old heat pump with new Trane Xe 100 in 1995. Over the years, there was always repair needed - from new fans, capacitors, recharging-averaged over $500 per year in service. Every time I had an annual maintenance-there was always a problem ranging from $200-$700. Now early 2010 - the compressor has gone out and it should be known that they no longer make replacement compressors due to the r-22 issue. Therefore, no choice but to get a new unit - further - the indoor unit is not compatible with the new refrigerant and if I want to heat pump - have to replace both units - the quote for new unit is $17,000!!! and they have to tear up walls and plasterboard to run a new line from outside to inside. The $17,000 quote does not include the repairs required to fix walls and ceilings. In the end, my experience has been the operating costs of a heat pump are cheaper but the required and costly maintenance costs are ridiculous. Now looking to convert to natural gas and go with a gas furnace. It seems that heat pumps keep the HVAC guys making a lot of money.

Date created: 2010-05-05 Name: Patricia Waltz
Location: Florida

"We know what can stop a Trane LOL"
We've been extremely happy with our Trane AC unit since 1988. However, recently over the past few years we have had the experience of learning what can stop a Trane-ANTS. Every time we've had a severe rain storm ants have gotten into the side of the unit and shorted out the contact. Luckily, it's only a $14.00 part, but living here in Florida, this is becoming more and more frequent. Finally the other night, we had a real rain storm again and I think this time it's dead. I could not ask more from this Trane. It's had a good life!

Date created: 2010-05-02 Name: C. Frank

"Trane Wreck"
We have owned our new home for less than two years. The coil in our Trane heat pump is bad and we have to pay $500 in labor to have it replaced. I have read this is a common problem and I am very disappointed. I will never recommend Trane. I understand why The Villages, Fl. (one place in U.S. building hundreds of homes per month at the time) has discontinued using Trane units.

Date created: 2010-04-21 Name: J. Norris

"Owner"
After reading some of your reviews, I have come to the conclusion that the problems some of the consumers are having have nothing to do with the products. Most products, if installed correctly do not have issues. Do your research on the installing company instead of the product.

Date created: 2010-04-10 Name: S. Blythe

"Unhappty with Trane"
We replaced our functional but old heat pump with what we thought would be a much more efficient unit. This unit never cooled the house down. We had the installers out numerous times during the first year, and they kept telling us there was nothing wrong, even though it was running 22 hours a day, and at ten o'clock at night it would be cooler outdoors than in the house. After sending a certified letter demanding a new unit, an older and apparently more experienced technician showed up, looked at the unit, and said "they had the internal switches in the wrong position". It worked ok for the next year, and then after our next service call it went back to not working so well. We were told the coil was bad, and replaced that - under warranty but about $450 labor. That didn't help it much. We now have a unit that doesn't work at all - we were told that it has a coolant leak, but they can't find the leak, so they should replace the coil again. We had another company come out, and they said the compressor is not working - and that in fact this unit has two compressors, and it appears that one has never run at all. We could, of course, replace the compressor (under warranty) for $900 labor, but we are going to replace the whole unit - and it will definitely not be a Trane!

Date created: 2010-04-09 Name: J. Cortese

"Unsatisified homeowner"
I replaced my heating and air conditioning system four years ago by a so-called certified Trane company. What a piece of junk! I've had to call the service guys three times and the unit is still leaking gas. Do I have to have my unit serviced every year? If I would have known that this was happening, I would have bought some other kind of system.

Date created: 2010-04-07 Name: C. Pope

"Trane heat pump"
I have had a Trane xe12 3-ton heat pump for 17 years. Last year, it needed a new contractor. The first and only service call since it was new. I have neglected it by not having yearly checkups. If it works leave it alone, I say. Today, I am having a new XL15i with 2spd air handler installed, only because of the govt and utility rebates being offered. I'm hoping for lower electric bills with this new unit. I can recommend Trane with confidence.

<< Previous89101112131415161718192021222324252627Next >>