Consumer Reviews of Trane heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2017?

Read more about Trane heat pumps

<< Previous4567891011121314151617181920212223Next >>

Date created: 2010-11-17 Name: L. Staylor
Location: Portsmouth, VA

"Unsatisfactory Performance"
We had a Trane heat pump installed in late 2009 and have been very dissatisfied. It smells like old socks when the defrost cycle runs and that makes the entire house smell. Now, in November, the unit is only 14 months old, and the blower fan motor has died and we are completely without heat. My installer tells me that there are no blower fans in the area and they have to get one from the 'home office' in Memphis, Tenn. That is a 3-5 day shipping delay. Guess Trane never heard of overnight shipping. Would NEVER purchase another Trane. This is my second Trane in 11 years and both were disappointing

Date created: 2010-11-14 Name: Michael Cole

"Freon loss"
Purchest Xl19i heat pump and airhandler system. After two years lost freon due to wear thru of bundled freon tubes. Fault like hell to get repaired. Found that Trane did not insullate tubing lines. Units produced after mine did have lines insullated and not touching. This was Tranes manufactoring problem all along but took three months before they would even cover the parts. Would not cover the labor or freon. Dealer would not due anything if not paid by Trane. Now my company owns Trane but I will never buy another one.

Date created: 2010-11-13 Name: Kathleen Wheeler
Location: Medway Ohio

"Trane Heatpump Serious Problems"
I purchased a trane heat pump August 2009 and we have had many problems with it. We kept our propane furnace and added a heat pump however for 3 weeks in Oct 2010 we had no heat. We are seniors and the outside temp was above 40 degrees however no heat. Imagine that. I say it is in the thermostat I think they should change it because when the young men installed it they had problems. Why would a reputable installer like Deer in Fairborn Ohio have a problem getting one. As of now we are now your best or pleased customers. Please reply and give us some answers WE NEED HELP

Date created: 2010-11-07 Name: S.J.Zaloga,Sr
Location: Sun Lakes,Az

"XE 1000"
This unit was installed by builder in 1994. Only repairs done to it was a contactor and hard start relay.No freon was ever added.No yearly maintenance was ever done,only inside air filter changes. This unit still works well.Will change it only when it eventually fails.

Date created: 2010-10-19 Name: j.wise
Location: bernville, pa

"Installer must be key"
Bought Trane heatpump in Nov. 2003. Originally bought 4 ton but salesman didnt measure ceiling height. So we have a 4ton exterior and 3 ton interior? Numerous problems. Asked to buy Extended warranty, paid $8900, for what. After 1st year and multiple visits from TECH, we were told we didnt have extended warranty?(although its on the purchase agreement) 1st pressures were wrong causing panel to burn which now we are told is what caused the compressor to over heat,unravel and leak. refrigerant leak 3X's due to shrader valves that were stripped upon initial installation. Now contaminants in system, could cause future additional refrigerant leaks. Is it worth $3000+ for new compressor or just buy entire new unit for $5000+ with tax credit and specials? Wont be a TRANE Local Installers are unqualified to admit mistakes which caused initial problems! TRANE Corp, has not been of any help regarding Certified Trained Installer's faults.

Date created: 2010-10-18 Name: A Power
Location: St. John's NL

"Good Installation"
We have a 5-ton Trane heat pump installed by local contractor Hot Frost Heat and have had no problems. Had zoning issue, contractor was excellent and came back and fixed it without any hassle. Trane and reputable contractor is the way to go.

Date created: 2010-10-16 Name: g brown
Location: new york, ny

"Understand your warranty"
Stop!! bashing equipment and read before you agree. If you do not buy the extended warranty and your unit breaks down, that s your mistake. The unit has a standard 5 years part 5 or 10 compressor warranty and key words 1 year labor warranty. Extended warranty covers 10 years parts and key word 10 years labor. Heat pumps like everything are no long built to last like your 20 plus year old units, wake up, tires, cars, lights nothing is built to last like it use too. Read people Read and understand what you are getting

Date created: 2010-10-13 Name: B. Tucker
Location: Charlotte, NC

"It's hard to stop a Trane...from draining your wallet"
Bought a Trane XE1000 heat pump in late 1997 for $5600. After 5 years, reversing valve failed requiring replacement of outside unit for $1500. After another 7 years, compressor in the new unit failed and the quote is for another $1500 to replace the outside unit again. In my experience, Trane is nothing but a high-priced brand name that does not measure up to what it used to be. I will not be replacing this unit again.

Date created: 2010-10-12 Name: John L
Location: Northeastern Pennsylvania

"Existing Trane XL1200 Heat Pump"
I had a G.E. Weatherton heat pump installed in my home in 1978. G.E. later sold the Weathertron unit to Trane. It worked beautifully and never a problem. A good installer does make a difference and yes it cost more but was worth every penny. In 1992 I had the outdoor compressor replaced as a precaution and not because it broke down. Here it is 2010 (18 years later) and it is still working beautifully. I plan to replace this with a newer system as the entire unit is over 30 years old with the exception of the outdoor compressor. I live in the colder climate of northeastern Pennsylvania and plan to replace my Trane heat pump unit with another more energy efficient Trane hybrid unit. The dealer is expensive but also excellent and the unit has provided me over 30 years of trouble-free service. Trane is a great product but the installing dealer is what makes it a better than great product.

Date created: 2010-10-08 Name: Mike
Location: Atlanta, GA

"STRAIGHT UP TRUTH"
This is the deal. I sell HVAC systems for a living. I purchased a Trane unit for my home, but currently sell Carrier, Kenmore and Payne. Bottom Line: There are way too many variables to point the blame at any manufacturer. From design to install, the margin for error is high. To do it right, means you have a good company and a good warranty. PERIOD. No jack leg installers... and no cheap quotes without warranty. You have to protect yourself. You can spend $5000 on a new system and risk it or you can spend $7000 and know you will not have to pay any out of pocket expenses or replace units for 20-30 years. Do the math. People that get screwed or end up with crappy installation or products put themselves in that position. If you buy the cheapest product from bob's hvac. Then risk is high. If you buy a quality product, from a reputable, established company then risk is low. It's more about risk management than best price. Just a thought.

<< Previous4567891011121314151617181920212223Next >>