Consumer Reviews of Trane heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2018?

Read more about Trane heat pumps

When it comes to choosing one brand of heat pump over another brand we don’t have a dog in the race. Brands can’t pay us to promote their equipment or slant our coverage. Since 2002 our job has simply been to provide unbiased information, reviews and commentaries on equipment, not to tell you to buy one brand over another. With that in mind, here is what you should know about Trane heat pumps.

Trane Heat Pump Series

Trane heat pumps come in three series. The top of the line is the XV series, followed by the middle-tier XL series. The bottom tier is labeled the XR series. All three XV units come with a ClimaTuff® variable speed compressor. The top XV series reaches up to 20 SEER and 10 HSPF. All XV series come with Trane TruComfort ™ and two are compatible with ComfortLink ™ II communicating technology, both of which we will discuss more below.

There are ClimaTuff single stage and two stage compressors, on the two XL units. The XL units reach 18 and 17 SEER, with HSPF ratings of 9.5 and 9.6, respectively.

All five XR units are equipped with ClimaTuff single stage compressors. The top end units of this series reach 17.25 and 17 SEER, and HSPF of 9.6 and 10, respectively.

Where are Trane Heat Pumps Made?

Trane is owned by American Standard, which operates six plants within the United States. Trane and American Standard are owned by parent company, Ingersoll-Rand, which is headquartered in Dublin, Ireland.

Trane-Specific Features

ClimaTuff is the only compressor used by Trane in their heat pumps. It comes in single stage, two stage and variable options. The compressors work to meet the cooling requirements of the heat pumps.

TruComfort is the name for Trane’s temperature control system. Trane claims the variable speed motors run at the exact speed needed to cool your home to the specified temperature. The company also claims the system will maintain temperatures within ½ degree of the set temperature.

ComfortLink II is Trane’s smart thermostat and communicating system. It is a zoning system, which enables the user to set different temperatures to different zones, at different times. It is compatible with Nexia ™ , which allows the user to control the thermostat from anywhere.

Trane’s DuraTuff ™ base pan is what they use on all heat pumps. The company claims it will not rust, crack or corrode.

WeatherGuard ™ is how Trane markets the top protection design on their units. They claim it is attractive and durable.

SpineFin ™ coils are aluminum coils used on Trane heat pumps. Companies either use copper or aluminum. With aluminum, Trane claims it has a higher heat exchange capability and efficiency. The company also says aluminum coils are less corrosive than the copper alternative and are less likely to leak.

What do Heating Contractors Say?

Pros

• When asked to compare Rheem to Trane for reliability and longevity, a few contractors agreed both are solid choices. “I would put either in my house,” one said. Another agreed, lumping in Carrier and Lennox, saying, “They are all good products, they are all built with good components, they all have good quality control in their manufacturing process... and every company 'can' have a bad unit go out the door (nobody has zero issues).”
  • One contractor chose Trane for his house, saying, “With all of the brands to choose from, I chose Trane for my home.” Another agreed it was his brand of choice, stating, “I'm an American Standard/Trane fan.” A third, comparing it to York, said, “I would install a Trane in my own house I wouldn't install a York in my house even if it was given to me.”
  • The ComfortLink received good reviews when asked about how user-friendly the system is, one said, “We've sold ~12 of them and had zero problems as of yet. Everyone who has purchased one has been pleased. The 900 series thermostat has some features that are not available in the Honeywell IAQ stat.” Another added, “With the communicating system there is some fine tuning of the airflow for each stage of cooling, dehumidification and continuous fan that is not available in the standard system using the IAQ thermostat.”
  • The SpineFin coils are easier to clean, some agreed. A contractor said, “Trane and Carrier spine fin coils are generally a lot easier to clean than a lot of people make them out to be. If you don't mind getting a little wet from water splashing back, you can do a good job of cleaning them without removing but one panel on the Trane units.” Another said, “Ever see many double row spine fin coils??? When you do, they are AlWAYS easier to clean than their conventional counterparts, and apparently have better heat transfer than conventional condenser coils do.”

Cons

• One contractor said Trane is not always helpful to technicians, stating, “I've been to training on it, easy to work on and since the Rheem is communicating (Trane is not) lots of error messages available to guide the tech in the event of an issue.”
  • While some were in agreement over the SpinefFin aluminum coils, others were not as impressed. One contractor said, “spine fin coils are worst design in hvac history! Once they plug up you cannot clean them without flattening them. Carrier used to use them too and now they dont hmmmm! they are also aluminum and when they spring a leak forget about repairing it.” And another said, “Every spine-fin coil belongs on the wall of shame they are JUNK !!!”

1234567891011121314151617181920Next >>

Date created: 2018-09-14 Name: Hate trane

"Customer service"
Tranes customer service is absolutely pitiful. Sent my compressor to wrong distributor, then when my air guy got it. They sent the wrong compressor. Nothing like sitting in outside temps of 90's for 3 weeks.

Date created: 2018-05-13 Name: William Ealy
Location: Ohio

"A Trane can be stopped with a marsh mellow"
Bought this in it in March of 2017. At first we were pleased. We leave our area to go south in the winter. In December our heating bills started going through the roof. Noticed that the emergency heat seemed to be always on Same issue thought the winter and into April. Now in May the unit will not cool. I cannot believe that a unit like this only works for less than a year. It seems that a Trane is not that hard to stop.you just need a marshmallow. I will keep updating this as we try to get it fixed.
Date created: 2018-01-13 Name: Liz

"I hate my Trane Heat pump"
We purchased a Trane heat pump / ac unitl at the end of winter 2017. The ac worked fine over the summer. The heat is useless. It’s never even really warm. We paid $8500 for this supposedly “wonderful & best on the market” system. It’s noisy & is always running. We have the t stat set at 68 and always leave it there. I am never really warm. I wear long sleeves, long pants, socks & slippers. When I am sitting on the sofa I am covered with a blanket. We had new windows installed a few months prior to the hear pump installation. Why can’t my heat pump warm the house higher than 61 degrees? Expensive to buy, expensive to run & I’m not warm.
Date created: 2017-09-08 Name: G. Michaels
Location: Broad Run, VA

"Exceeded Expectations"
After much research, had a Trane xl1800 Heat Pump & matched Air Handler installed (about 1998/1999). It's now Sept. 2017 and for 18+ years it has exceeded our expectations. It's never needed repair or service of any kind and has never had a problem keeping the set temperature on the hottest or coldest days over the years. It's been on 24/7 since installation (to circulate & filter air) and is still running with no problems. Also, it still competes well with the newest models in efficiency. When the time does come to replace it, even if tomorrow, I will have received great value in the purchase of this great product. I wish Trane still made this model as I would easily buy it again, but since they don't, I will definitely be buying a Trane product when the time comes.
Date created: 2017-07-17 Name: Janet Anderson
Location: Lathrop, MO

"Don't do it"
We built our house 4 years ago and on the recommendation of our builder we invested in a Tran heat pump. Big mistake. We have had a repairman out every year for either the air or heat. Some years more than once. If I could afford a new unit this one would be in the dump tomorrow.
Date created: 2017-04-22 Name: J. Cantrell
Location: Elkhorn City, KY

"Trane review"
I have a 3 year old heat pump. At 2 years old a coil had to be replaced and now the compressor has to be replaced. Even though the parts are on the warranty, I have to pay for labor, a service call and the coolant which is very expensive. We bought this for my son who has cerebral palsy and he is the one suffering.
Date created: 2017-04-08 Name: Tom
Location: Valdosta, GA

"Fake Warranty"
Trane refuses to give warranty for a compressor failure. Unit is only four years old. The owners manual clearly states this unit has the standard five year compressor. After many calls to the local distribution company and many more calls to trane. I have made no progress. Trane offered no help to resolve the problem. Many times the phone just disconnected because I had no code to enter to speak with a person. I have been in business since 1985 and have always promoted trane. When I started working on then GE who was bought by trane this equipment was the toughest equipment around Operating in the most extreme conditions. Now they are less quality than the cheapest units. And have multiple leaks. I regret I sold this garbage to many really good and loyal customers. This most recent customer since 1987....
Date created: 2017-03-12 Name: D Holsapple
Location: Louisville, KY

"Never Again"
Unit installed February 2011 first problem fall 2011 smelly air. Coils cleaned, no change. Coils replaced spring 2012 problem solved. February 2013 blower motor replaced. August 2015 fan relay replaced. February 2016 defrost relay replaced and 3 lbs Freon installed. Now March 2017 no defrost cycle and aux heat on at 30 degrees. Contacted customer service and was told basically not our problem. Local dealer trying to help.
Date created: 2017-02-02 Name: Linda
Location: Corvallis, OR

"This should be better"
We purchased a house a little over two years ago in which a Trane heat pump had already been installed. I must say, if this is how good it gets get another system. There is only one of me residing within the house. This past month's electrical bill was $790, and when questioned the electrical company said a heat pump is not effective in temperatures below 50 degrees. Now, that is most of the winter here. So, I turned off the zones (there is 3) thinking that would inhibit the amp usage. Wrong, it increased threefold.......which does not seem right when a system is off. With all the other reviews posted on this site, my recommendation would be to look at other systems than a Trane. It does not seem to work as advertised (or promised....).
Date created: 2017-01-01 Name: jon sab
Location: Kermit, WV

"Save on electric bill & good quality"
My Trane Weathertron unit has been in use since March 2003. This fall is the first time I've had to call a local Trane dealer for service. Cond coils are freezing in 20 degree weather. It has been very inexpensive to operate. Cooling in hottest summer has been great. So the past 2 winters we had below zero temps and it operated fine. Every year I remove side cover & use a garden sprayer with dawn dish detergent to clean the evap coils & hose clean cond coils also. When the local dealer installed it he put in metal ducts & insulated them all. I would recomend Trane to anyone to replace an old unit.
1234567891011121314151617181920Next >>