Consumer Reviews of Trane heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2014?

Read more about Trane heat pumps

1234567891011121314151617181920Next >>

Date created: 2015-08-12 Name: KCS
Location: Evans, GA

"Another coil leak"
We replaced our heat pump 9 years ago with a Trane system. The first two years were fine and since then we have had problem after problem. The main issue is the coils. The coils are made from aluminum. This means when they leak they must replace the whole coil, not patch it like you would in a copper system. Right after the first warranty ran out there was a leak and we had to replace the condenser coils. I found out then that Trane had several problems with those coils and were now using a different type. So bad batch. Now we have another leak, another set of coils to replace (of course not the same ones under warranty). I do not blame the company that sold and maintain the unit as they tried very hard to work in our favor and greatly discounted the last replacement we had to do. I am disappointed that a company that advertises heavily about long lasting units should be having such problems and have to wonder if there is any recourse possible due to the amount of complaints they seem to be getting. Because we have a new warranty on the other set of coils that were replaced we have decided to give Trane one more chance but should it fail again, probably in 5 years when the warranty expires then we will have to consider just getting a whole new system from another company.

Date created: 2015-06-30 Name: Brenda L
Location: Morganton, NC

"Please don't waste your $$"
I had this Trane unit installed 8 months ago when my old unit that came with my mobile home when it was made in 1992 started giving me minor problems. I just wish I could get my old system back! Today is June 30 and it's 98 degrees in here, since the unit quit working today. I called the company which installed it, Century Systems in Lenoir, North Carolina, and was told it would be over a week before someone could come out!! I asked if they didn't do emergency calls and was told that if I wanted someone sent out as an emergency call, my warranty would not cover the call! I'm just getting started with putting Trane and Century Services names and their shoddy service before the public...reviews, then social media, then our local consumer investigative TV reporter, then the Better Business Bureau, whatever it takes. Trane is not making units like they did 20 or 30 years ago. They must now be made in China or else they are using plastic Chinese parts! After reading hundreds of reviews, I now know that this is just the beginning of nothing but trouble from this heat pump. Not to mention that my electric bills have gone up! From $50 to $70 more per month! And this is supposed to be a very energy efficient system. Do yourself a favor and buy anything other than Trane.

Date created: 2015-06-26 Name: R. Gibbs
Location: Warrenton, VA

"Do not have installed near living space requiring low noise!"
In October 2014, I bought a Trane XV18 outdoor unit model #4TWV8036 from a popular installer in Northern Virginia. This unit was to replace a Ruud single stage 11 SEER unit located just outside of my master bedroom wall. The installer led me to believe that decibel level output by this new variable speed unit would be considerably less than what we were used to. Trane advertises the unit to run at 72 decibels (47 degree ambient temperature). As soon as winter hit and we cranked on the heat, I knew a mistake had been made, and I was in for a ride. Long story short, the unit was running at just under 90 decibels and the variable speed compressor put out a searing noise that would not let me sleep at night. The installer agreed to decibel test the unit and found the same outcome. An insulation blanket was placed over the compressor to decrease the noise by 5 decibels. The installer and a representative from Trane came to my home to tell me that my unit was running according to specs. I was told that other customers were having similar issues with XV18 noise output and that Trane was putting out a software "patch" that might help. It did not. The installer also offered to change my unit's compressor settings to decrease noise output, but I told the installer that I paid to have the unit run at maximum efficiency. At this point, many emails had gone back and forth between me, the installer, and the Trane rep over the course of 5 months. Since the high speed compressor was the real issue, I even asked to have my XV traded out for a two stage XL. However, Trane would refuse to reimburse me the difference between the two units. So, I was stuck with a noisy, variable speed unit. Finally, the installer agreed to move the unit to a farther point away from our bedroom at no additional cost. We are now in the AC season, and I must say that the unit is true to form during the summer months. Noise levels are as advertised when the unit is in AC mode. In conclusion, my advice to-date is to avoid placing the XV18 anywhere close to living space that requires low levels of noise. This unit offers high levels of noise output at high pitch when in heat mode at 50% or more compressor speed.

Date created: 2015-05-15 Name: Mike
Location: Columbus, OH

"Trane makes garbage"
I bought a heat pump and furnace 10 years ago. I had warranty repairs during the warranty period and many costly repairs after the warranty. Today, I get the news that the second compressor is bad along with other parts with a recommendation to replace the system. This has been the costliest HVAC system I've owned. Terrible.

Date created: 2015-05-01 Location: Phoenix, AZ

"Small, Quiet and Lower Operating Costs"
I have two air conditioning systems and live in a neighborhood where the only heating choice is electric. One of my systems failed two years ago and I replaced it with the Trane heat pump. In years past, I had investigated units made by Trane. They had an excellent reputation with a low repair rate, but had such a high initial cost that I had chosen other brands. This was in the face of recommendations by my brother who does HVAC installation and repair in another state 1000 miles away. However, I learned that in recent years Trane had become more competitive and the first cost of units with similar SEERs were pretty close to other competitors. This unit is much smaller than the 2.5 ton unit that it replaced. I could not walk around the old unit because it was too close to my house and the wall(a Phoenix term for our stucco over block fence). I can easily walk around the new unit. The units sits outside one bedroom and close to the window of a bathroom. The old unit was noticeably noisy when it operated. This unit is much quieter which is very nice. Finally, the old unit was an SEER of 10 and the law now requires a minimum of a 13 SEER. But I learned that an old unit declines in efficiency and may have been operating more like an SEER of 6 or 7. In any event, my electric bill declined $220 for the year following the installation even though our electric company had a slight rate increase. I am pleased with the purchase and have recommended the model to my son for his home.

Date created: 2015-04-10 Location: Morristown, NJ

"Great Heat Pump"
I have owned my heat pump for over 20 years and have never had a problem. I have never had to repair or replace the pump and would absolutely recommend the pump to friends and family. I am a homeowner and this pump has worked to heat the entire home for many years.

Date created: 2015-03-27 Location: San Angelo, TX

"Very Satisfied Owner"
I enjoy this heat pump very, very much. I have never had a problem with my Trane XV20i. I like the variable speeds and the TruComfort systems. However, it can be noisy sometimes, as I can hear it while I am laying in bed. Yes, I would indeed recommend this to a friend, and would buy from Trane again in the future.

Date created: 2015-01-29 Name: Joyce Shepperd
Location: Fernandina Beach, FL

"Never buy a Trane unit"
I purchased a Trane unit in 2011. Thankfully, I also purchased a 10-year extended warranty. It's had numerous problems since installing. The compressor went out in December 2014 and had to be replaced. Every time the weather changes, the unit goes out. The company who installed my unit has been wonderful about taking care of all the issues. They are just as perplexed as I am over the issues with this unit. I contacted Trane directly but there was no resolution from them. I will never purchase another Trane unit. Lots of money spent on a useless piece of equipment.

Date created: 2015-01-19 Name: Charles Gaskins
Location: Ayden, NC

"Five years and the Trane stopped"
After just 5 years of service, I lost the cooling system on a Saturday in July after spending over $900.00 on a repair; it was a factory defect that caused the failure. Three months later the heat would not start. This came from the moisture in the line from the first failure, another $850.00. I called the company and voiced my concern; after numerous calls, they helped with $150.00.

Date created: 2015-01-12 Name: Wayne Roberts
Location: Campbell River, BC

"Worst service ever"
Our first Trane ran off the rails 3 years early. It took 9 months to finally get something done. We had to replace the heat pump to find out they would only warranty it for 5 years, not the advertised 12. They told us that it was because new R-22 wasn't put in by the Trane rep. If I was told that before installing it, which I wasn't, I would have had them install new R-22! I highly recommend staying away from Trane products because of poor service and a total lack of communication between Trane and their local reps. The guys in charge are obviously too full of themselves to care about their customers!

1234567891011121314151617181920Next >>