Consumer Reviews of Trane heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2018?

Read more about Trane heat pumps

1234567891011121314151617181920Next >>

Date created: 2018-05-13 Name: William Ealy
Location: Ohio

"A Trane can be stopped with a marsh mellow"
Bought this in it in March of 2017. At first we were pleased. We leave our area to go south in the winter. In December our heating bills started going through the roof. Noticed that the emergency heat seemed to be always on Same issue thought the winter and into April. Now in May the unit will not cool. I cannot believe that a unit like this only works for less than a year. It seems that a Trane is not that hard to stop.you just need a marshmallow. I will keep updating this as we try to get it fixed.

Date created: 2018-01-13 Name: Liz

"I hate my Trane Heat pump"
We purchased a Trane heat pump / ac unitl at the end of winter 2017. The ac worked fine over the summer. The heat is useless. It’s never even really warm. We paid $8500 for this supposedly “wonderful & best on the market” system. It’s noisy & is always running. We have the t stat set at 68 and always leave it there. I am never really warm. I wear long sleeves, long pants, socks & slippers. When I am sitting on the sofa I am covered with a blanket. We had new windows installed a few months prior to the hear pump installation. Why can’t my heat pump warm the house higher than 61 degrees? Expensive to buy, expensive to run & I’m not warm.
Date created: 2017-09-08 Name: G. Michaels
Location: Broad Run, VA

"Exceeded Expectations"
After much research, had a Trane xl1800 Heat Pump & matched Air Handler installed (about 1998/1999). It's now Sept. 2017 and for 18+ years it has exceeded our expectations. It's never needed repair or service of any kind and has never had a problem keeping the set temperature on the hottest or coldest days over the years. It's been on 24/7 since installation (to circulate & filter air) and is still running with no problems. Also, it still competes well with the newest models in efficiency. When the time does come to replace it, even if tomorrow, I will have received great value in the purchase of this great product. I wish Trane still made this model as I would easily buy it again, but since they don't, I will definitely be buying a Trane product when the time comes.
Date created: 2017-07-17 Name: Janet Anderson
Location: Lathrop, MO

"Don't do it"
We built our house 4 years ago and on the recommendation of our builder we invested in a Tran heat pump. Big mistake. We have had a repairman out every year for either the air or heat. Some years more than once. If I could afford a new unit this one would be in the dump tomorrow.
Date created: 2017-04-22 Name: J. Cantrell
Location: Elkhorn City, KY

"Trane review"
I have a 3 year old heat pump. At 2 years old a coil had to be replaced and now the compressor has to be replaced. Even though the parts are on the warranty, I have to pay for labor, a service call and the coolant which is very expensive. We bought this for my son who has cerebral palsy and he is the one suffering.
Date created: 2017-04-08 Name: Tom
Location: Valdosta, GA

"Fake Warranty"
Trane refuses to give warranty for a compressor failure. Unit is only four years old. The owners manual clearly states this unit has the standard five year compressor. After many calls to the local distribution company and many more calls to trane. I have made no progress. Trane offered no help to resolve the problem. Many times the phone just disconnected because I had no code to enter to speak with a person. I have been in business since 1985 and have always promoted trane. When I started working on then GE who was bought by trane this equipment was the toughest equipment around Operating in the most extreme conditions. Now they are less quality than the cheapest units. And have multiple leaks. I regret I sold this garbage to many really good and loyal customers. This most recent customer since 1987....
Date created: 2017-03-12 Name: D Holsapple
Location: Louisville, KY

"Never Again"
Unit installed February 2011 first problem fall 2011 smelly air. Coils cleaned, no change. Coils replaced spring 2012 problem solved. February 2013 blower motor replaced. August 2015 fan relay replaced. February 2016 defrost relay replaced and 3 lbs Freon installed. Now March 2017 no defrost cycle and aux heat on at 30 degrees. Contacted customer service and was told basically not our problem. Local dealer trying to help.
Date created: 2017-02-02 Name: Linda
Location: Corvallis, OR

"This should be better"
We purchased a house a little over two years ago in which a Trane heat pump had already been installed. I must say, if this is how good it gets get another system. There is only one of me residing within the house. This past month's electrical bill was $790, and when questioned the electrical company said a heat pump is not effective in temperatures below 50 degrees. Now, that is most of the winter here. So, I turned off the zones (there is 3) thinking that would inhibit the amp usage. Wrong, it increased threefold.......which does not seem right when a system is off. With all the other reviews posted on this site, my recommendation would be to look at other systems than a Trane. It does not seem to work as advertised (or promised....).
Date created: 2017-01-01 Name: jon sab
Location: Kermit, WV

"Save on electric bill & good quality"
My Trane Weathertron unit has been in use since March 2003. This fall is the first time I've had to call a local Trane dealer for service. Cond coils are freezing in 20 degree weather. It has been very inexpensive to operate. Cooling in hottest summer has been great. So the past 2 winters we had below zero temps and it operated fine. Every year I remove side cover & use a garden sprayer with dawn dish detergent to clean the evap coils & hose clean cond coils also. When the local dealer installed it he put in metal ducts & insulated them all. I would recomend Trane to anyone to replace an old unit.
Date created: 2016-10-16 Name: S. Mallinger
Location: Garner, NC

"2 identical coils leaking in 2 years"
I moved into a new house in Raleigh in September 2014, just about 2 years ago. Heat pump units were already installed when we purchased the house. Last month (September) I saw a buildup of ice on the expansion valve housing and the tubing around the compressor. Called the installer and the rep said it was low on Freon. He added a pound to the system. Several weeks later a different company rep came here for a maintenance agreement inspection and informed me that the coil had a leak and needed to be replaced. Yesterday, I talked to my neighbor next door and he said that he had to have his leaking coil replaced. Sounds fishy. Two new houses side by side with the same units and the same major problem.
1234567891011121314151617181920Next >>