Consumer Reviews of TEMPSTAR heat pumps

Read more about TEMPSTAR heat pumps

Date created: 2009-05-25 Name: Kalani Silva

"Runs Great"
I had this unit installed by the leading heating company in our area. He did a complete manual j and sized the Heat Pump. The new unit was almost 1/2 half the size of the Heat pump they took out. It has been trouble free and very quiet.

Date created: 2009-05-22 Name: M. Davies

"Tempstar modle #PHM330KT0A1"
My old cental unit was replaced with a tempstar, cental unit, Heat Pump. It's a piece of garbage!! My heat had gone out on my old unit, but the a/c worked! I have had at least 15 service calls. I'm a single mother, so I get told the craziest reasons! This unit dosen't keep my place cool when it's really hot out, I live in Florida. It can't even keep my place warm in the winter. I was told it's not suppost to. So, what do I need it for if thats the case!! My very old unit worked fine in the heat of the summer!! If you get one, your throwing away your money. Your warranty? The maker tells you it's up to the guy that put it in!! They do not stand behind their own product! That should tell you all you need to know!

Date created: 2009-05-22 Name: C Engineer

"JUNK JUNK JUNK"
Junk, plain and simple. Blower design is junk, needs to be retightened every 2 months at most every 2 weeks at best. Now the unit will only come on heat pump mode (heating) even with thermostat set to cooling. This unit was professionally installed 3 years ago when house was built and nothing but problems. junk! Buy Carrier or Trane stay hell away from junk names like Tempstar. I am a system engineer and know exactly what I am talking about, these are designed as throw away units. (ie. last as long as warranty then fail and need replacement.) Stay away from tempstar they should stick with paper airplanes.

Date created: 2009-05-17 Name: K H

"Mr.K"
I purchased a track home 7 1/2 years ago. The two heat pumps are the low end (builder model) units. I have replaced compressors,defrost control boards in both systems and the reversing valve in one unit. I have just been told the reversing valve is out in the other unit. I will not being replacing the valve and will be replacing the unit with another brand. I would not recommend this brand to my worst enemy, it is pure sh*T.

Date created: 2009-05-07 Name: Chuck Simpson
Location: Northern Seattle

"Quality and Comfort"
Have had a Carrier furnace in three homes. I have never, ever had a lick of trouble with any. In 1985, I installed a Tempstar furnace in my home in Tacoma, wa. I had a Tempstar furnace installed in my home in Bothell and I just installed 2 Tempstar Hybrid Heat systems in my 5500 sq foot Northern Seattle home. All have been extremely good products (although not cheap). In any case, I cannot say enough positively about the Tempstar line of furnaces and Heat pumps. They seem to be at the apex of the industry in quality and comfort.

Date created: 2009-05-05 Name: C. Fletch

"Very Quiet"
I have had a tempstar heat pump for over 6 years and I love how quiet it is. The problem is that next door, their heat pump is so loud that it drowns out mine, and it is over 30 ft away.

Date created: 2009-05-03 Name: R. Allen

"Love it"
I have a tempstar heat pump,and in 12 years I have had no problems. It has always ran great.

Date created: 2009-05-01 Name: d. hageman

"Oldavey"
We had our Tempstar heatpump installed 20 yrs ago when the house was built. It is a dual fuel unit (heatpump and 15kw electric resistance). I have a 2,000 sq ft. house and this 2.5 ton outfit has always been enough. Other than needing a new defrost timer at 5 yrs and a couple of capaciters, we haven't had any trouble. It does need a little freon every other year now. The outside unit looks terrible and sounds worse, but it just keeps on going... It's been hailed on, knocked off its legs by my tractor, and moved 3 times. I may replace it with another Tempstar, but I'm wondering if United Technologies (the current owner, and also mfr of Carrier and Bryant) is still using the same top of the line compressors, coils, and other components that Inter City did when they owned the brand. An independent service rep told me my unit was built with the same internals as other brands costing thousands more. btw, my neighbor has a standard Tempstar electric furnace and a/C. He's had his for 18 yrs and never has had it serviced.

Date created: 2009-04-21 Name: TEMPSTAR

"14.5 SEER Heat Pump System"
Installed a 14.5 seer temstar Heat Pump System 2004 after I purchased a house with a 23 year old Trane system in it. The outside unit has a 2 stage compressor (which was replaced within the first year) and the inside has a 3 speed dc fan with electric backup heat. Just after the 5 year warranty expired I had the system inspected for the fifth time. The outcome was the outside unit coils were corroding to the point the fins were falling off. The fan was only working in 1 speed (the motor was bad) and only 1 of 3 heating elements was working (which is why the house was cooling during recycle or de-thaw mode in the winter). The service company, the regional distributor, and I all contacted the corporate office to see if we could get some relief on the repair and were shut down cold. The system cost about $1000.00 a year plus electrical to own. I'm replacing the system with a 19.6 seer, 2 pump, variable speed fan unit from trane which caries a 10 year warranty on all parts / 2 year labor. I expect the system to last for at least 20 years which will make the annual cost about $500 per year + electrical. Don't waste you money. Go for the systems that have a good track record like trane, lynnix, carier.

Date created: 2009-03-14 Name: M Brannan
Location: Stonewall, MS

"Home owner"
In eleven years, we have had our unit worked on five or six times for a total of about $3000.00. I'm not sure if this is normal for heat pumps, but I'm very frustrated with Tempstar performance.