Consumer Reviews of TEMPSTAR heat pumps

Read more about TEMPSTAR heat pumps

Date created: 2009-12-08 Name: B. Gibson

"Tempstar is basically junk"
We've had our Tempstar for 6 years. We had our home built and the contractor installed the Tempstar. Every winter, we have to call the repair man out to fix it - new boards, new fan, new motor. Defrost cycle will not work most of the time. These problems have been since the very beginning. It usually quits working on the coldest days of the year. I am just sick about the costs of the repairs. Have just about replaced everything and still having problems. Replacing the unit today.

Date created: 2009-11-03 Name: G. Silva

"Great System"
I had a gas furnace and I needed a new furnace and heat pump system. I chose a tempstar heat pump and gas furnace. I like the Tempstar system because of the high HSPF(Heating Season Proformance Factor) and it can operate at lower temps then most other brands. After having it installed, I love how quiet the system is and how hot the air is in our house.

Date created: 2009-10-29 Name: Nate M.

"Happy!"
I had a Tempstar tx5400 heat pump installed in my home last year, along with a Tempstar vs90 furnace. Both have worked great so far. They replaced an old Thermopride oil furnace and Bryant 10 seer a/c, and the new system saved me big money last winter in heating costs. I got estimates on a Lennox 2 stage variable speed furnace and 14 seer heat pump, as well as a Carrier Infinity system, the Tempstar system was much more affordable. In this case going with the lowest bid wasn't a bad thing. If the contractor checks out ok, don't be afraid to buy a Tempstar product.

Date created: 2009-10-19 Name: SPC Crawford

"Great Heat Pump"
I had a Tempstar heat pump installed over 7 years ago, it runs great with no problems at all. Very quiet.

Date created: 2009-08-24 Name: Rene Hales

"Turned 5 Out of Warrant - Died"
Had to completely replace the outside unit. Had to replace the condensor coil or something on the part of this unit in the attic. I would say it is costly junk.

Date created: 2009-08-18 Name: J L A K

"TROUBLE!!!!"
We did a major renovation on out home in 2001, in which the contractor installed a New Tempstar Heat pump. We have had nothing buth trouble with it since day one, costing us a small fortune!!!! For some reason, not one thing was conver under the so called warranty, Fan motor's, capaciter, computer boards, etc.......and these items have been replaced more than once. we even had a Tempstar Tech. come to look at it and yet nothing. We have had to have it repaired twice in the past 3 months...AGAIN. This last time, the man that came to work on it went directly to Temptar for the part, was told they did not have the part, but he got a different part that would work. The man working on our unit asked Tempstar some questions and their reply was "yeah, we've had alot of trouble with that unit since he came out on the production line, it is junk. We recalled them, but not the people's that you are wokring on" What the hell!!! Sounds like a lawsuit to me!!! They are junk!!!!

Date created: 2009-08-10 Name: FRANK USERAS

"FRANK 21 YEARS"
I had this unit for 21 years, replace two capacitor' one fan motor, replace the main compressor relay,no problem at all with air handler, I done all work so no service call in 21. the heat pump still works but replacing with a lennox 4 ton.to any reading always check your relay elect connection , change the filter, lubricate moter if needed. clean the the heat pump with 409.tamstar heat pump

Date created: 2009-07-12 Name: Invader
Location: AZ

"The worst mistake of my life"
Replaced original Rudd unit with a 12 seer 4 Ton Tempstar, it worked great for the first 2 years. Had to replace the coil and of course pay for labor. had to replace it again and pay for labor and freon, had to replace it a third time along with the drain pan, the freon and labor charges add up quickly. Leaking caps, bad fan motor. had over 10 service calls in the first 4 years. plus there is the mystery of why the unit decides not to work in the summer 3-4 times. I have to reset the unit from the breaker and wait a few days and it comes back to life. replaced contactors and defrost board. even the Tempstar emblem fell off. I finely had emough and am replacing it with a Carrier. I live in az and it is too hot for this crap. even the install company told me they are crap and stopped selling them a year after they put mine in. What the F--K. Tempstar you s--K.

Date created: 2009-06-30 Name: B. Marchetto

"TEMPSTAR IS A POS"
I renovated an old Victorian mansion and had central heating and air conditioning put in. One of my office worker's son in law was an HVAC guy so I utilized him. He put in 3 Tempstar heat pump units, a 5 ton, a 3.5 ton and a 2.5 ton. I have never had so much trouble with heat pump units than I have had with these. Numerous problems kept arising and leaving my family without heat in winter and without a/c in summer. The compressors have been replaced at least once on each unit and twice on the 5 ton. An additional problem which my HVAC guy couldn't figure out for several years caused the machine to trip off its cycle somehow and I would have to reboot the whole system from the breakers. It was a nightmare. I have since fired the HVAC guy and I will never purchase these inferior systems again.

Date created: 2009-05-27 Name: CHUCK P.

"CHUCK P."
Installed tempstar furnace and heat pump on 4/1/03. tempstar 3 ton heat pump, 20kw air handler. 5yr parts and labor warranty from installer who has since gone out of business. 2004-defrost board replaced 06/2006-1 BOARD, 1 TRANSFORMER, 1 TXV ALL WARRANTIED BUT $338.00 TAX AND LABOR. 12/2006-MERRY XMAS-BLOWN CAPACITOR $45.00 LABOR FEB/2007-3 HEAT RELAYS $75.00 LABOR. DEC/2008-MERRY XMAS-ADDED REFRIGERANT-$65.00 FEB/2008-RELAYS-$75.00 MAY/2009-COMPRESSOR DEAD-WARRANTIED BUT ABOUT $600.00 LABOR AND REFRIG. MY TEMPSTAR UNIT IS NOTHING BUT TROUBLE. ALSO, HERE'S A NEAT TWIST, MANUFACTURER WARRANTY ON COMPRESSOR-10 YRS, HAD UNIT 6 YRS, NEW COMPRESSOR WARRANTY 1 YR SO WHAT WAS 10 YR WARR. TURNS OUT TO BE ONLY 7. WHAT A COMPANY. SAVE YOURSELF SOME POTENTIAL HEADACHES AND PURCHASE A RELIABLE BRAND.