Consumer Reviews of TEMPSTAR heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2014?

Read more about TEMPSTAR heat pumps

Date created: 2009-08-18 Name: J L A K

"TROUBLE!!!!"
We did a major renovation on out home in 2001, in which the contractor installed a New Tempstar Heat pump. We have had nothing buth trouble with it since day one, costing us a small fortune!!!! For some reason, not one thing was conver under the so called warranty, Fan motor's, capaciter, computer boards, etc.......and these items have been replaced more than once. we even had a Tempstar Tech. come to look at it and yet nothing. We have had to have it repaired twice in the past 3 months...AGAIN. This last time, the man that came to work on it went directly to Temptar for the part, was told they did not have the part, but he got a different part that would work. The man working on our unit asked Tempstar some questions and their reply was "yeah, we've had alot of trouble with that unit since he came out on the production line, it is junk. We recalled them, but not the people's that you are wokring on" What the hell!!! Sounds like a lawsuit to me!!! They are junk!!!!

Date created: 2009-08-10 Name: FRANK USERAS

"FRANK 21 YEARS"
I had this unit for 21 years, replace two capacitor' one fan motor, replace the main compressor relay,no problem at all with air handler, I done all work so no service call in 21. the heat pump still works but replacing with a lennox 4 ton.to any reading always check your relay elect connection , change the filter, lubricate moter if needed. clean the the heat pump with 409.tamstar heat pump

Date created: 2009-07-12 Name: Invader
Location: AZ

"The worst mistake of my life"
Replaced original Rudd unit with a 12 seer 4 Ton Tempstar, it worked great for the first 2 years. Had to replace the coil and of course pay for labor. had to replace it again and pay for labor and freon, had to replace it a third time along with the drain pan, the freon and labor charges add up quickly. Leaking caps, bad fan motor. had over 10 service calls in the first 4 years. plus there is the mystery of why the unit decides not to work in the summer 3-4 times. I have to reset the unit from the breaker and wait a few days and it comes back to life. replaced contactors and defrost board. even the Tempstar emblem fell off. I finely had emough and am replacing it with a Carrier. I live in az and it is too hot for this crap. even the install company told me they are crap and stopped selling them a year after they put mine in. What the F--K. Tempstar you s--K.

Date created: 2009-06-30 Name: B. Marchetto

"TEMPSTAR IS A POS"
I renovated an old Victorian mansion and had central heating and air conditioning put in. One of my office worker's son in law was an HVAC guy so I utilized him. He put in 3 Tempstar heat pump units, a 5 ton, a 3.5 ton and a 2.5 ton. I have never had so much trouble with heat pump units than I have had with these. Numerous problems kept arising and leaving my family without heat in winter and without a/c in summer. The compressors have been replaced at least once on each unit and twice on the 5 ton. An additional problem which my HVAC guy couldn't figure out for several years caused the machine to trip off its cycle somehow and I would have to reboot the whole system from the breakers. It was a nightmare. I have since fired the HVAC guy and I will never purchase these inferior systems again.

Date created: 2009-05-27 Name: CHUCK P.

"CHUCK P."
Installed tempstar furnace and heat pump on 4/1/03. tempstar 3 ton heat pump, 20kw air handler. 5yr parts and labor warranty from installer who has since gone out of business. 2004-defrost board replaced 06/2006-1 BOARD, 1 TRANSFORMER, 1 TXV ALL WARRANTIED BUT $338.00 TAX AND LABOR. 12/2006-MERRY XMAS-BLOWN CAPACITOR $45.00 LABOR FEB/2007-3 HEAT RELAYS $75.00 LABOR. DEC/2008-MERRY XMAS-ADDED REFRIGERANT-$65.00 FEB/2008-RELAYS-$75.00 MAY/2009-COMPRESSOR DEAD-WARRANTIED BUT ABOUT $600.00 LABOR AND REFRIG. MY TEMPSTAR UNIT IS NOTHING BUT TROUBLE. ALSO, HERE'S A NEAT TWIST, MANUFACTURER WARRANTY ON COMPRESSOR-10 YRS, HAD UNIT 6 YRS, NEW COMPRESSOR WARRANTY 1 YR SO WHAT WAS 10 YR WARR. TURNS OUT TO BE ONLY 7. WHAT A COMPANY. SAVE YOURSELF SOME POTENTIAL HEADACHES AND PURCHASE A RELIABLE BRAND.

Date created: 2009-05-25 Name: Kalani Silva

"Runs Great"
I had this unit installed by the leading heating company in our area. He did a complete manual j and sized the Heat Pump. The new unit was almost 1/2 half the size of the Heat pump they took out. It has been trouble free and very quiet.

Date created: 2009-05-22 Name: M. Davies

"Tempstar modle #PHM330KT0A1"
My old cental unit was replaced with a tempstar, cental unit, Heat Pump. It's a piece of garbage!! My heat had gone out on my old unit, but the a/c worked! I have had at least 15 service calls. I'm a single mother, so I get told the craziest reasons! This unit dosen't keep my place cool when it's really hot out, I live in Florida. It can't even keep my place warm in the winter. I was told it's not suppost to. So, what do I need it for if thats the case!! My very old unit worked fine in the heat of the summer!! If you get one, your throwing away your money. Your warranty? The maker tells you it's up to the guy that put it in!! They do not stand behind their own product! That should tell you all you need to know!

Date created: 2009-05-22 Name: C Engineer

"JUNK JUNK JUNK"
Junk, plain and simple. Blower design is junk, needs to be retightened every 2 months at most every 2 weeks at best. Now the unit will only come on heat pump mode (heating) even with thermostat set to cooling. This unit was professionally installed 3 years ago when house was built and nothing but problems. junk! Buy Carrier or Trane stay hell away from junk names like Tempstar. I am a system engineer and know exactly what I am talking about, these are designed as throw away units. (ie. last as long as warranty then fail and need replacement.) Stay away from tempstar they should stick with paper airplanes.

Date created: 2009-05-17 Name: K H

"Mr.K"
I purchased a track home 7 1/2 years ago. The two heat pumps are the low end (builder model) units. I have replaced compressors,defrost control boards in both systems and the reversing valve in one unit. I have just been told the reversing valve is out in the other unit. I will not being replacing the valve and will be replacing the unit with another brand. I would not recommend this brand to my worst enemy, it is pure sh*T.

Date created: 2009-05-07 Name: Chuck Simpson
Location: Northern Seattle

"Quality and Comfort"
Have had a Carrier furnace in three homes. I have never, ever had a lick of trouble with any. In 1985, I installed a Tempstar furnace in my home in Tacoma, wa. I had a Tempstar furnace installed in my home in Bothell and I just installed 2 Tempstar Hybrid Heat systems in my 5500 sq foot Northern Seattle home. All have been extremely good products (although not cheap). In any case, I cannot say enough positively about the Tempstar line of furnaces and Heat pumps. They seem to be at the apex of the industry in quality and comfort.