Consumer Reviews of TEMPSTAR heat pumps

Read more about TEMPSTAR heat pumps

Date created: 2010-07-28 Name: D. Brooks

"Never a tempstar"
Built house in mid 2002. Installed a 4 ton package unit for downstairs and a 3 ton for upstairs. Within 3 years, blades fell off, compressor stopped, valves leaked, motherboard needed replacing on the 4 ton. Local company, who was great, actually worked on my behalf to have replaced by manufacturing (but it took 2 years of fighting). New 4 ton installed and less than a year later - out of refrigerant - a leak somewhere. 3 ton system - coils are now leaking. Customer service manager and field inspector for Tempstar were both rude and incaring (should see the written response I received from manufacturer where they said that I should be appreciative that the local company didn't charge me a service call fee during the problems). Never ever purchase a Tempstar.

Date created: 2010-07-08 Name: Bryan J.

"Don't Purchase"
I have an upstairs Tempstar heat pump that was installed by my contractor. Bottom line, it is a piece of garbage. Very unreliable. Have had service techs repair it every year since owned, costing me between $600-$800 dollars and that was on top of normal maintenance. More importantly, Tempstar doesn't stay behind their product and customer service is very poor. Do not buy!!!!

Date created: 2010-06-25 Name: JE

"Tempstar heat pump CHP236AKC3"
Just quit shortly after the warranty period. When it worked, it made loud whistle noises starting up. Neighbours complained. It is rusting badly in the tray and it sits on a pedestal a few feet off the ground? Sears recommended this one. I had originally asked for a Carrier. When I replace this piece of junk, it won't be a Tempstar or Sears model of any kind!

Date created: 2010-06-12 Name: S. Tracy

"Terror"
5 ton commercial. The worst ever. Outside unit replaced afer a couple of months. Inside coil leaks every year (winter and summer), not to mention everything in the furnace replaced. Never will I have another Tempstar installed at work. It has not been repaired this summer (yet).

Date created: 2010-06-12 Name: S. Tracy

"Tracy"
1.5 Ton 10 seer upstairs has run great. Service check by Electric Co. said everything is within specs. 3.5 ton 12 seer for main floor and finished basement. It, too is within specs. I have had no service calls on either unit. I am very happy with both units. Neighbors have had a lot of problems starting last year with leaks in the furnace -- coils which must be replaced at owner expense.

Date created: 2010-06-09 Name: S. Parsons

"Failed coils"
We have 7 units for our building, from 2004. All of them have had coil leaks, which they admitted came from a bad batch of Chinese-made coils. They replaced one. It failed again this year. ICP & the local distributor have done nothing to rectify the problem. The HVAC installer quit helping after the first year. This has been a real nightmare. I'm looking into a class action lawsuit if others have experienced this same problem.

Date created: 2010-05-04 Name: L. Brad

"2- Tempstar Units, Junk"
Had 2 new units installed, a 1.5 ton upstairs and a 3 ton downstairs. Had 1 of the best Co. in town do the install and add duct where needed (to push the right CFM's). Had at least 2-3 service calls per year. Plus I had them serviced every year. Filters changed monthly. Nothing but problems. The first 2 years was install problem (leak). The rest was just valves, boards, motors, compressors, txv, ect... I'm going to replace the 3 ton now and the 1.5 later. I hear someone bought Tempstar. I will not purchase another one. My opinion is to purchase something else. Of course, installer is the key plus service.

Date created: 2010-04-14 Name: Ralph

"Tempstar"
Had Tempstar total system installed in my house and Tempstar compressor in rental. Had to replace the compressor twice in my rental within the 1st year and replace the blade of the compressor in my house at about one year. They should have called this compressor a "Train" because it is as loud as a train. The installer placed the unit right beside my bedroom and I have not had a good night's sleep since. I'll have to admit though that have worked since the repairs.

Date created: 2010-03-09 Name: Gary

"Heat Pump Good Tempstar"
I am surprised at some of the reviews. 1800 square foot, 3 ton Tempstar 15 seer works great. It's near the patio, bushes between and it's pretty quiet too. They check and clean it each year. Drain was plugged once. Would get another Tempstar. They have 10-year parts warranty now. So far, happy and warm and cool.

Date created: 2010-02-05 Name: J. Henry

"I do not want another Tempstar"
I have read 38 reviews of various Tempstar units. It appears anyone having an older unit has had a better unit than us customers having a heat pump 10 or less years old. I had no trouble for about the first 5 years. Since then, it has stopped defrosting twice. Now, the coil has a leak and had it charged with 3 lbs. of refrigerant so unless I want to pay over $800 for a new coil, I will have to add freon on a yearly basis until that doesn't work any more. The compressor has now gone bad just under the 10 year warranty time. That will cost $350 in labor, plus replacing all the freon for a "warranted" new coil. Here's the kicker: even on the new coil, it is only warranted until the original warranty runs out: a whole year! I am thinking of replacing part of my unit with a Goodman or Payne.