Consumer Reviews of TEMPSTAR heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2018?

Read more about TEMPSTAR heat pumps

Date created: 2011-04-08 Name: Tony Franzen
Location: montgomery IL

"Owner of havoc company"
I have a hybrid system 95% gas furnace and heat pump Trane system If you install the equipment properly it will run problem free for many years. I don't just mean hook it all up so it runs. It needs to be properly charged with refrigerant and designed to fit home. also wired to t-stat correctly and all timers set properly. If its freezing up the filter is most likely plugged or its not set up correctly to defrost properly. heat pumps are slightly more complicated please find a qualified technician to install you system and maintain it. Another thing is no heat pump will work below 30 degree f. outside...There is not enough heat in the outside air....the system should be set up to run on what we call emergency heat at 30-40 deg f. Emergency heat just means it will be running with furnace until it warms up a little outside. Everyone relax please I have only read a handful the actually sound like its a equipment problem. Im a service tech full time and believe me they all have problems. especially when not installed correctly

Date created: 2011-04-05 Name: S. Johnson
Location: Kansas City, MO

"PIECE OF CRAP!!!"
My home was newly built and a tempstar heat pump was installed because it wasn't as expensive as some of the other brands. BIG MISTAKE!!! I've had it serviced too many times to count. It's very loud and vibrates to the point of shaking the bedroom its closest to. Would not recommend this to anyone. Im no expert but I know what it shouldn't be doing! Taking the less expensive route in the beginning is now greatly costing me. Im in search for a new brand and this time I'm doing my homework.
Date created: 2011-02-07 Name: Teresa Niemeyer
Location: Hannibal, MO

"Very unsatified with product and service"
Very unsatisfied, bought heat pump on recommendation of contractor 6 yrs. ago, have had trouble every since. Heat quit working Sat. Feb. 5, 2011 again, we are running on emergency heat, "can't wait to get this electric bill." We have had it serviced more that we care to count, from different furnace reps. We've had no luck with the company either. The rep. in our area doesn't answer the phone, and doesn't return calls. PIECE OF CRAP!!!!!!! I have 4 kids at home and 3 grandchildren living with me, and we do not have the money to replace right now. I do not recommend this brand to anyone in any area.
Date created: 2011-01-18 Name: R. Fedro
Location: Waco, Tx.

"Hvac tech"
Built new home in 2003. I have been selling and installing tempstar equipment for the past 20 years. I havent had any problems with my own system. To be honest, i havent touched it since i installed it. To touch on icing issues. There could be several problems. A H/P is designed to go into defrost every 30/60/90 minutes of runtime. Defrost times are adjustible due to different conditions. Doesnt help when their is no gutter to keep freezing rain from running in to unit. Blowing cold air below at cold temperatures: Could be caused by low refrigerant, Improper wiring for strip heaters to suplement during defrost and several other reasons. My own opinion of tempstar: Certainly not any worse than your major brands.
Date created: 2011-01-17 Name: Allen
Location: Georgia

"Blowing COLD air in winter!"
When weather drops below 40 degree outside, the unit will NOT heat. Only blows cold air, (really cold, same as A/C) until outside temp warms back up to over 40 degrees. I keep the filter changed and have had service techs out every year to repair leaks, add freeon, etc. but still yearly problems. If you buy a TempStar...also buy a good kitchen stove that you can turn on to heat your house, for that is how I have stayed warm during the past week while ice has been on the ground in Georgia!
Date created: 2010-12-30 Name: Rick Sanders
Location: Merrill,Ia

"R Sanders"
I had a new Tempstar heat pump installed last March 2010. This heat pump has been working perfect even thru all the snow and cold. This is my second Tempstar heat pump. the first one froze up like a block of ice and bent the coils. I think Tempstar has got the problem solved on the new heat pumps. Some things take time and now I highly recommend the Tempstar heat pump.
Date created: 2010-12-28 Name: Joseph Lafond (owner)
Location: Sparr Florida 32192 (North of Ocala Fl)

"4 ton tempstar heat pump unit"
We live in Mid Florida (ocala) and have owned this heat pump unit for 5 years and had trouble from the start with heating.It seems that the unit is thouroughly useless under 40% of outside temperature,The outside coils freeze solid and the incoming air is ice cold (almost li8ke the ac is on) and it remains that way until the outside temperature gets up above 45 or so and then starts getting tepid warm air until it reaches 50 or so.THIS unit is absolutely useless and I am forced to use space heaters to try to stay warm.Would never recommend a heat pump to anyone and will never own one again, the only reason i dont buy another type unit is I am on limited SS income and cannot afford it.People should be warned against this type of heat in any state if its too cold to work in Florida then it wont work anywhere,its a shame they should make such a unit and scam the people until they freeze in their own homes.
Date created: 2010-12-27 Name: richard
Location: Sheffield Al.

"Hvac contractor"
I have been reading all these unsatisfied reports. I have some questions for them. How many times do you clean the condensor? How often do you change filters? How often do you clean your condensate trap? When was the last time you oiled your condensor fan motor? You have to take care of basic stuff. When you buy a car you change the oil dont you?
Date created: 2010-12-06 Name: C. DRAKE
Location: CARROLLTON,KY.

"TEMPSTAR 1.5 TON UNIT JUNK HAD TWO COMPRESSORS REPLASED SO THIS UNIT HAS HAD 3 COMPRESSOR IN ABOUT 6 YEARS NOW THEY SAY THAT TH"
TEMP-STAR 1.5 TON UNIT JUNK HAD TWO COMPRESSORS REPLACED SO THIS UNIT HAS HAD 3 COMPRESSOR IN ABOUT 6 YEARS NOW THEY SAY THAT THE WORINTY IS UP HOW COULD IT THE LAST COMPRESSOR IS 1YR OLD WISH I COULD AFFORD TO TAKE THEM TO CORT AND CLOSE THEM DOWN.
Date created: 2010-11-02 Name: r stephens
Location: central, sc

"Works fine."
I have a 2_ton Heil/Tempsatr going on twenty years. I have a 3 ton Tempstar going on 10 years. The 2-ton had installation issues in first few years. Fired the installer (Davids, Seneca, SC) and hired another contractor. No problems for 18 years. The 3 ton did loose its inside coils after 5 years but again an installer problem (did not change the tube connection service pack after a 15 year unit failed). New coil has 5 years no problem.