Consumer Reviews of TEMPSTAR heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2014?

Read more about TEMPSTAR heat pumps

Date created: 2010-12-06 Name: C. DRAKE
Location: CARROLLTON,KY.

"TEMPSTAR 1.5 TON UNIT JUNK HAD TWO COMPRESSORS REPLASED SO THIS UNIT HAS HAD 3 COMPRESSOR IN ABOUT 6 YEARS NOW THEY SAY THAT TH"
TEMP-STAR 1.5 TON UNIT JUNK HAD TWO COMPRESSORS REPLACED SO THIS UNIT HAS HAD 3 COMPRESSOR IN ABOUT 6 YEARS NOW THEY SAY THAT THE WORINTY IS UP HOW COULD IT THE LAST COMPRESSOR IS 1YR OLD WISH I COULD AFFORD TO TAKE THEM TO CORT AND CLOSE THEM DOWN.

Date created: 2010-11-02 Name: r stephens
Location: central, sc

"Works fine."
I have a 2_ton Heil/Tempsatr going on twenty years. I have a 3 ton Tempstar going on 10 years. The 2-ton had installation issues in first few years. Fired the installer (Davids, Seneca, SC) and hired another contractor. No problems for 18 years. The 3 ton did loose its inside coils after 5 years but again an installer problem (did not change the tube connection service pack after a 15 year unit failed). New coil has 5 years no problem.

Date created: 2010-09-30 Name: John
Location: Georgia

"John"
I agree that TempStar is junk. Have had mine 3 years and it has never worked properly. Doesnt heat in the winter, we ave t run the heat strips. This summer two capacitors and a fan motor. To those considering Carrier units I have been told TempStar is a Carrier product.

Date created: 2010-09-23 Name: b. Lee
Location: Darlington, Co. SC

"Business Manager"
Unit just over six years old and now having to research new unit. Coil on old unit starting leaking last year just after five year warrenty expired. Local AC company found out coil was leaking and offered to repair for about $1K, advised me to contact orginal company I bought from and see if they could do a better price because they were the ones to install it; guess what for more than $1.5k. If a unit only last 5 to six years; I can't give a positive review.

Date created: 2010-08-10 Name: Joy

"Tempstar heatpump 14 years plus"
We bought a new construction home in March 1996 with two Tempstar heatpumps. Did nothing except change the inside filters and have some refrigerant added one time. Now 14 years later just starting to have a problem with the compressor. I can't imagine any other brand would have been better. We must be lucky.

Date created: 2010-07-28 Name: D. Brooks

"Never a tempstar"
Built house in mid 2002. Installed a 4 ton package unit for downstairs and a 3 ton for upstairs. Within 3 years, blades fell off, compressor stopped, valves leaked, motherboard needed replacing on the 4 ton. Local company, who was great, actually worked on my behalf to have replaced by manufacturing (but it took 2 years of fighting). New 4 ton installed and less than a year later - out of refrigerant - a leak somewhere. 3 ton system - coils are now leaking. Customer service manager and field inspector for Tempstar were both rude and incaring (should see the written response I received from manufacturer where they said that I should be appreciative that the local company didn't charge me a service call fee during the problems). Never ever purchase a Tempstar.

Date created: 2010-07-08 Name: Bryan J.

"Don't Purchase"
I have an upstairs Tempstar heat pump that was installed by my contractor. Bottom line, it is a piece of garbage. Very unreliable. Have had service techs repair it every year since owned, costing me between $600-$800 dollars and that was on top of normal maintenance. More importantly, Tempstar doesn't stay behind their product and customer service is very poor. Do not buy!!!!

Date created: 2010-06-25 Name: JE

"Tempstar heat pump CHP236AKC3"
Just quit shortly after the warranty period. When it worked, it made loud whistle noises starting up. Neighbours complained. It is rusting badly in the tray and it sits on a pedestal a few feet off the ground? Sears recommended this one. I had originally asked for a Carrier. When I replace this piece of junk, it won't be a Tempstar or Sears model of any kind!

Date created: 2010-06-12 Name: S. Tracy

"Terror"
5 ton commercial. The worst ever. Outside unit replaced afer a couple of months. Inside coil leaks every year (winter and summer), not to mention everything in the furnace replaced. Never will I have another Tempstar installed at work. It has not been repaired this summer (yet).

Date created: 2010-06-12 Name: S. Tracy

"Tracy"
1.5 Ton 10 seer upstairs has run great. Service check by Electric Co. said everything is within specs. 3.5 ton 12 seer for main floor and finished basement. It, too is within specs. I have had no service calls on either unit. I am very happy with both units. Neighbors have had a lot of problems starting last year with leaks in the furnace -- coils which must be replaced at owner expense.