Consumer Reviews of TEMPSTAR heat pumps

Read more about TEMPSTAR heat pumps

Date created: 2011-02-07 Name: Teresa Niemeyer
Location: Hannibal, MO

"Very unsatified with product and service"
Very unsatisfied, bought heat pump on recommendation of contractor 6 yrs. ago, have had trouble every since. Heat quit working Sat. Feb. 5, 2011 again, we are running on emergency heat, "can't wait to get this electric bill." We have had it serviced more that we care to count, from different furnace reps. We've had no luck with the company either. The rep. in our area doesn't answer the phone, and doesn't return calls. PIECE OF CRAP!!!!!!! I have 4 kids at home and 3 grandchildren living with me, and we do not have the money to replace right now. I do not recommend this brand to anyone in any area.

Date created: 2011-01-18 Name: R. Fedro
Location: Waco, Tx.

"Hvac tech"
Built new home in 2003. I have been selling and installing tempstar equipment for the past 20 years. I havent had any problems with my own system. To be honest, i havent touched it since i installed it. To touch on icing issues. There could be several problems. A H/P is designed to go into defrost every 30/60/90 minutes of runtime. Defrost times are adjustible due to different conditions. Doesnt help when their is no gutter to keep freezing rain from running in to unit. Blowing cold air below at cold temperatures: Could be caused by low refrigerant, Improper wiring for strip heaters to suplement during defrost and several other reasons. My own opinion of tempstar: Certainly not any worse than your major brands.

Date created: 2011-01-17 Name: Allen
Location: Georgia

"Blowing COLD air in winter!"
When weather drops below 40 degree outside, the unit will NOT heat. Only blows cold air, (really cold, same as A/C) until outside temp warms back up to over 40 degrees. I keep the filter changed and have had service techs out every year to repair leaks, add freeon, etc. but still yearly problems. If you buy a TempStar...also buy a good kitchen stove that you can turn on to heat your house, for that is how I have stayed warm during the past week while ice has been on the ground in Georgia!

Date created: 2010-12-30 Name: Rick Sanders
Location: Merrill,Ia

"R Sanders"
I had a new Tempstar heat pump installed last March 2010. This heat pump has been working perfect even thru all the snow and cold. This is my second Tempstar heat pump. the first one froze up like a block of ice and bent the coils. I think Tempstar has got the problem solved on the new heat pumps. Some things take time and now I highly recommend the Tempstar heat pump.

Date created: 2010-12-28 Name: Joseph Lafond (owner)
Location: Sparr Florida 32192 (North of Ocala Fl)

"4 ton tempstar heat pump unit"
We live in Mid Florida (ocala) and have owned this heat pump unit for 5 years and had trouble from the start with heating.It seems that the unit is thouroughly useless under 40% of outside temperature,The outside coils freeze solid and the incoming air is ice cold (almost li8ke the ac is on) and it remains that way until the outside temperature gets up above 45 or so and then starts getting tepid warm air until it reaches 50 or so.THIS unit is absolutely useless and I am forced to use space heaters to try to stay warm.Would never recommend a heat pump to anyone and will never own one again, the only reason i dont buy another type unit is I am on limited SS income and cannot afford it.People should be warned against this type of heat in any state if its too cold to work in Florida then it wont work anywhere,its a shame they should make such a unit and scam the people until they freeze in their own homes.

Date created: 2010-12-27 Name: richard
Location: Sheffield Al.

"Hvac contractor"
I have been reading all these unsatisfied reports. I have some questions for them. How many times do you clean the condensor? How often do you change filters? How often do you clean your condensate trap? When was the last time you oiled your condensor fan motor? You have to take care of basic stuff. When you buy a car you change the oil dont you?

Date created: 2010-12-06 Name: C. DRAKE
Location: CARROLLTON,KY.

"TEMPSTAR 1.5 TON UNIT JUNK HAD TWO COMPRESSORS REPLASED SO THIS UNIT HAS HAD 3 COMPRESSOR IN ABOUT 6 YEARS NOW THEY SAY THAT TH"
TEMP-STAR 1.5 TON UNIT JUNK HAD TWO COMPRESSORS REPLACED SO THIS UNIT HAS HAD 3 COMPRESSOR IN ABOUT 6 YEARS NOW THEY SAY THAT THE WORINTY IS UP HOW COULD IT THE LAST COMPRESSOR IS 1YR OLD WISH I COULD AFFORD TO TAKE THEM TO CORT AND CLOSE THEM DOWN.

Date created: 2010-11-02 Name: r stephens
Location: central, sc

"Works fine."
I have a 2_ton Heil/Tempsatr going on twenty years. I have a 3 ton Tempstar going on 10 years. The 2-ton had installation issues in first few years. Fired the installer (Davids, Seneca, SC) and hired another contractor. No problems for 18 years. The 3 ton did loose its inside coils after 5 years but again an installer problem (did not change the tube connection service pack after a 15 year unit failed). New coil has 5 years no problem.

Date created: 2010-09-30 Name: John
Location: Georgia

"John"
I agree that TempStar is junk. Have had mine 3 years and it has never worked properly. Doesnt heat in the winter, we ave t run the heat strips. This summer two capacitors and a fan motor. To those considering Carrier units I have been told TempStar is a Carrier product.

Date created: 2010-09-23 Name: b. Lee
Location: Darlington, Co. SC

"Business Manager"
Unit just over six years old and now having to research new unit. Coil on old unit starting leaking last year just after five year warrenty expired. Local AC company found out coil was leaking and offered to repair for about $1K, advised me to contact orginal company I bought from and see if they could do a better price because they were the ones to install it; guess what for more than $1.5k. If a unit only last 5 to six years; I can't give a positive review.