Consumer Reviews of TEMPSTAR heat pumps

Read more about TEMPSTAR heat pumps

Date created: 2010-12-30 Name: Rick Sanders
Location: Merrill,Ia

"R Sanders"
I had a new Tempstar heat pump installed last March 2010. This heat pump has been working perfect even thru all the snow and cold. This is my second Tempstar heat pump. the first one froze up like a block of ice and bent the coils. I think Tempstar has got the problem solved on the new heat pumps. Some things take time and now I highly recommend the Tempstar heat pump.

Date created: 2010-12-28 Name: Joseph Lafond (owner)
Location: Sparr Florida 32192 (North of Ocala Fl)

"4 ton tempstar heat pump unit"
We live in Mid Florida (ocala) and have owned this heat pump unit for 5 years and had trouble from the start with heating.It seems that the unit is thouroughly useless under 40% of outside temperature,The outside coils freeze solid and the incoming air is ice cold (almost li8ke the ac is on) and it remains that way until the outside temperature gets up above 45 or so and then starts getting tepid warm air until it reaches 50 or so.THIS unit is absolutely useless and I am forced to use space heaters to try to stay warm.Would never recommend a heat pump to anyone and will never own one again, the only reason i dont buy another type unit is I am on limited SS income and cannot afford it.People should be warned against this type of heat in any state if its too cold to work in Florida then it wont work anywhere,its a shame they should make such a unit and scam the people until they freeze in their own homes.

Date created: 2010-12-27 Name: richard
Location: Sheffield Al.

"Hvac contractor"
I have been reading all these unsatisfied reports. I have some questions for them. How many times do you clean the condensor? How often do you change filters? How often do you clean your condensate trap? When was the last time you oiled your condensor fan motor? You have to take care of basic stuff. When you buy a car you change the oil dont you?

Date created: 2010-12-06 Name: C. DRAKE
Location: CARROLLTON,KY.

"TEMPSTAR 1.5 TON UNIT JUNK HAD TWO COMPRESSORS REPLASED SO THIS UNIT HAS HAD 3 COMPRESSOR IN ABOUT 6 YEARS NOW THEY SAY THAT TH"
TEMP-STAR 1.5 TON UNIT JUNK HAD TWO COMPRESSORS REPLACED SO THIS UNIT HAS HAD 3 COMPRESSOR IN ABOUT 6 YEARS NOW THEY SAY THAT THE WORINTY IS UP HOW COULD IT THE LAST COMPRESSOR IS 1YR OLD WISH I COULD AFFORD TO TAKE THEM TO CORT AND CLOSE THEM DOWN.

Date created: 2010-11-02 Name: r stephens
Location: central, sc

"Works fine."
I have a 2_ton Heil/Tempsatr going on twenty years. I have a 3 ton Tempstar going on 10 years. The 2-ton had installation issues in first few years. Fired the installer (Davids, Seneca, SC) and hired another contractor. No problems for 18 years. The 3 ton did loose its inside coils after 5 years but again an installer problem (did not change the tube connection service pack after a 15 year unit failed). New coil has 5 years no problem.

Date created: 2010-09-30 Name: John
Location: Georgia

"John"
I agree that TempStar is junk. Have had mine 3 years and it has never worked properly. Doesnt heat in the winter, we ave t run the heat strips. This summer two capacitors and a fan motor. To those considering Carrier units I have been told TempStar is a Carrier product.

Date created: 2010-09-23 Name: b. Lee
Location: Darlington, Co. SC

"Business Manager"
Unit just over six years old and now having to research new unit. Coil on old unit starting leaking last year just after five year warrenty expired. Local AC company found out coil was leaking and offered to repair for about $1K, advised me to contact orginal company I bought from and see if they could do a better price because they were the ones to install it; guess what for more than $1.5k. If a unit only last 5 to six years; I can't give a positive review.

Date created: 2010-08-10 Name: Joy

"Tempstar heatpump 14 years plus"
We bought a new construction home in March 1996 with two Tempstar heatpumps. Did nothing except change the inside filters and have some refrigerant added one time. Now 14 years later just starting to have a problem with the compressor. I can't imagine any other brand would have been better. We must be lucky.

Date created: 2010-07-28 Name: D. Brooks

"Never a tempstar"
Built house in mid 2002. Installed a 4 ton package unit for downstairs and a 3 ton for upstairs. Within 3 years, blades fell off, compressor stopped, valves leaked, motherboard needed replacing on the 4 ton. Local company, who was great, actually worked on my behalf to have replaced by manufacturing (but it took 2 years of fighting). New 4 ton installed and less than a year later - out of refrigerant - a leak somewhere. 3 ton system - coils are now leaking. Customer service manager and field inspector for Tempstar were both rude and incaring (should see the written response I received from manufacturer where they said that I should be appreciative that the local company didn't charge me a service call fee during the problems). Never ever purchase a Tempstar.

Date created: 2010-07-08 Name: Bryan J.

"Don't Purchase"
I have an upstairs Tempstar heat pump that was installed by my contractor. Bottom line, it is a piece of garbage. Very unreliable. Have had service techs repair it every year since owned, costing me between $600-$800 dollars and that was on top of normal maintenance. More importantly, Tempstar doesn't stay behind their product and customer service is very poor. Do not buy!!!!