Consumer Reviews of TEMPSTAR heat pumps

Read more about TEMPSTAR heat pumps

Date created: 2011-05-20 Name: Larry M.
Location: Palm Bay, FL

"3 Ton Heath Pump"
A heat pump unit should last much longer then 5 years. I paid $624 for a repair due to a leak. Then 2 weeks later the unit blows up in two areas and sprays oil all over the unit. I won't risk another expensive repair just for the unit to break again. I'm getting a new heat pump and informing co-workers and family to not buy a tempstar unit ever. And stop blaming possible bad installs. The units themselves don't last past 5 years.

Date created: 2011-04-25 Name: kent steeves
Location: Moncton N.B. Canada

"HVAC Technical service advisor"
Please be careful when reading reviews like these ones as typically they are unjust. The Tempstar heatpump system is built to the highest quality and backed by the best warranty in the business. The biggest challenge in the industry is a proper installation and ductwork design. Ductwork is the single largest problem in the industry causing any heatpump to run poorly and even fail prematurely. Many untrained home owners blame the comfort level on the heatpump when the problem was caused by improper ductwork design. With 25 years experience in the industry working with all the top heatpump manufacturers I can assure you that the Tempstar heatpump is of the highest quality and when properly installed will give you many years of comfort and savings.

Date created: 2011-04-18 Name: john
Location: HOT,HOT, GA.

"Who does the install"
I have worked 20+ years in field. An HVAC system is only as good as the guy that put it in. PERIOD...I now work for a carrier dealer and there is almost no differance in the two products.If you take the nameplate off, you would have to look at the model number to tell.It all comes down to the installer..I don't care who makes the equipment,If it's not done properly the life of the unit will be reduced,parts will fail,and it just won't work right..And PLEASE CHANGE YOUR FILTERS....Thanx

Date created: 2011-04-13 Name: Camryn
Location: Jacksonville, Florida

"LOVE my TEMPSTAR"
I own a Tempstar and live in Jax, Fl where it gets HOT!! I love the Tempstar that Abaco sold to me. I had to replace a capacitor. But so have my neighbors who own other brand units. We have lots of lighting and due to that, it can cause the capacitors to go out quicker. My neighbor has a Tempstar also & does not do any up keep on his. Of course, due to this lack of attention his fails more often. But I have regular tune ups every year and change my filters monthly. I LOVE my TEMPSTAR and it was well worth my money for my family of 4. Like a car, if you keep up with regular maintenance you should be very happy with this unit. You can't buy a car,never change the oil or have regular maintenance and expect it to last. Which is my neighbors result due to his lack of attention. I highly recommend Tempstar & Abaco Air who installed it 11 years ago. You have kept my family comfortable in the SUNSHINE state of Florida!

Date created: 2011-04-08 Name: Tony Franzen
Location: montgomery IL

"Owner of havoc company"
I have a hybrid system 95% gas furnace and heat pump Trane system If you install the equipment properly it will run problem free for many years. I don't just mean hook it all up so it runs. It needs to be properly charged with refrigerant and designed to fit home. also wired to t-stat correctly and all timers set properly. If its freezing up the filter is most likely plugged or its not set up correctly to defrost properly. heat pumps are slightly more complicated please find a qualified technician to install you system and maintain it. Another thing is no heat pump will work below 30 degree f. outside...There is not enough heat in the outside air....the system should be set up to run on what we call emergency heat at 30-40 deg f. Emergency heat just means it will be running with furnace until it warms up a little outside. Everyone relax please I have only read a handful the actually sound like its a equipment problem. Im a service tech full time and believe me they all have problems. especially when not installed correctly

Date created: 2011-04-05 Name: S. Johnson
Location: Kansas City, MO

"PIECE OF CRAP!!!"
My home was newly built and a tempstar heat pump was installed because it wasn't as expensive as some of the other brands. BIG MISTAKE!!! I've had it serviced too many times to count. It's very loud and vibrates to the point of shaking the bedroom its closest to. Would not recommend this to anyone. Im no expert but I know what it shouldn't be doing! Taking the less expensive route in the beginning is now greatly costing me. Im in search for a new brand and this time I'm doing my homework.

Date created: 2011-02-07 Name: Teresa Niemeyer
Location: Hannibal, MO

"Very unsatified with product and service"
Very unsatisfied, bought heat pump on recommendation of contractor 6 yrs. ago, have had trouble every since. Heat quit working Sat. Feb. 5, 2011 again, we are running on emergency heat, "can't wait to get this electric bill." We have had it serviced more that we care to count, from different furnace reps. We've had no luck with the company either. The rep. in our area doesn't answer the phone, and doesn't return calls. PIECE OF CRAP!!!!!!! I have 4 kids at home and 3 grandchildren living with me, and we do not have the money to replace right now. I do not recommend this brand to anyone in any area.

Date created: 2011-01-18 Name: R. Fedro
Location: Waco, Tx.

"Hvac tech"
Built new home in 2003. I have been selling and installing tempstar equipment for the past 20 years. I havent had any problems with my own system. To be honest, i havent touched it since i installed it. To touch on icing issues. There could be several problems. A H/P is designed to go into defrost every 30/60/90 minutes of runtime. Defrost times are adjustible due to different conditions. Doesnt help when their is no gutter to keep freezing rain from running in to unit. Blowing cold air below at cold temperatures: Could be caused by low refrigerant, Improper wiring for strip heaters to suplement during defrost and several other reasons. My own opinion of tempstar: Certainly not any worse than your major brands.

Date created: 2011-01-17 Name: Allen
Location: Georgia

"Blowing COLD air in winter!"
When weather drops below 40 degree outside, the unit will NOT heat. Only blows cold air, (really cold, same as A/C) until outside temp warms back up to over 40 degrees. I keep the filter changed and have had service techs out every year to repair leaks, add freeon, etc. but still yearly problems. If you buy a TempStar...also buy a good kitchen stove that you can turn on to heat your house, for that is how I have stayed warm during the past week while ice has been on the ground in Georgia!

Date created: 2010-12-30 Name: Rick Sanders
Location: Merrill,Ia

"R Sanders"
I had a new Tempstar heat pump installed last March 2010. This heat pump has been working perfect even thru all the snow and cold. This is my second Tempstar heat pump. the first one froze up like a block of ice and bent the coils. I think Tempstar has got the problem solved on the new heat pumps. Some things take time and now I highly recommend the Tempstar heat pump.