Consumer Reviews of TEMPSTAR heat pumps

Read more about TEMPSTAR heat pumps

Date created: 2012-07-13 Name: cecil fielders
Location: Grants Lick, Ky.

"Good products"
Very good service, am buying another newer model.

Date created: 2012-03-18 Name: m.belliveau

"Mini-split"
Going on six month and still waiting for my main board from moncton new- brunswick.

Date created: 2012-03-14 Name: Tom Donaldson
Location: Peach Bottom, Pa

"Very Satisfied"
I guess the old saying there are good ones and bad ones of everything! I have owned my second one now and updated due to energy usage. And it depends on the grade of the equipment as there are contractor grades which in any brand are very low on the scale and high eff ones which are good and efficient so again your depending on your contractor to size and install the equipment properly also service it properly as to many contractors will blame it on the equipment. So your back to the question was the equipment installed properly? Sized properly and is the equipment efficient? I know that Tempstar has one of the best warranty's I have found and my contractor has made a big improvement in my homes comfort. My Model is txh536gka00a1 heat pump and is very quiet and efficient with no problems. This is the second one on my home and the only reason I replaced it was the tax credit to upgrade my system.

Date created: 2012-03-11 Name: Joseph Simon
Location: Statham, Georgia

"HEAT PUMP"
Had a new heat pump installed in 10/2010. Notice this winter that my power bill kept rising from the mid-hundreds to $300 in January 2012. Called the hvac service man who found a defective coil. Tempstar covered the part but not the $450 labor. I never had a coil replaced in 50 plus years using air conditioning in my houses, cars, trucks or refrigerated trailers. The coil was surely a substandard part. Tempstar should have at least paid me back 50% of the $450 labor.

Date created: 2012-02-23 Name: scotparsons
Location: dover,de

"DON'T BUY"
We have 7 of these units with various model numbers. nhp048aka2 was one of them. After the first year or two, most all the coils went bad, with other issues as well. Tempstar replaced some coils & some boards, then gave up. The installer gave up as well. There was never any mention by multiple parties of faulty installation. It was new construction as well. Tempstar would not replace these entire units with something that worked. The builder had two of these in his personal house, and told the hvac contractor to take the pieces of crap out. Years later after threatening lawsuits I bumped in to the hvac installer & he said he lost his ass on the Tempstar units. He said the coils from China were mostly all bad. I had spent over $20,000 in repairs over 4 years, but could not afford the $50,000 or so full replacement cost. Every year the units must be recharged at over $100 a piece, some units need it twice a year. I would file a class action lawsuit against Tempstar if there were many others with the same issues.

Date created: 2012-02-20 Name: M.Belliveau
Location: Moncton N-B

"Mini-split Heat Pump"
Piece of junk. It broke down in October 2011 and here we are Febuary 2012 and still not fixed. You get what you pay for. Still waiting for the main board from Thornes in Moncton New-Brunswick.

Date created: 2012-01-25 Name: D Barnhill

"Best Investment Yet"
I saw this site while I was researching heating units. My Tempstar is 23 years old and has had only a couple of minor calls in those 23 years. My electric bills are lower than most of my neighbors. I just expect to have to replace it in the next couple of years because of age, not because of problems with it now. I would highly recommend Tempstar if they are still as good as they used to be.

Date created: 2012-01-09 Name: phil
Location: al

"Compressor is still going strong"
I pulled my tempstar out of a customers home who wanted to take advantage of the 1500 tax credit. It's twenty years old and sure its broken down three times in a year but it lowered my light bill to its lowest point ever and each time only took ten minutes to fix. Compressor is still going strong. I clean it every two months needed or not. It has original coils and no rust or leaks. If it breaks down way too much get more than one company to inspect the installation for piss poor design. More importantly ask to see the installers certification and a 36 point punch list of the completed job that has his signature.

Date created: 2011-12-15 Name: Dissatisfied Customer
Location: Las Vegas, NV

"5 ton Tempstar"
We installed a brand new 5 ton unit in 2001 and it has broken down at least twice a year ever since. I bought the 10 year parts and labor on this thing thank god I did! I now have it covered by the home warranty and it continues to break down like clockwork. I wish they would just replace the thing and be done with it.

Date created: 2011-12-07 Name: Art
Location: cincinnati

"What a piece of crap"
Built a house -- had a heat pump installed. Within 18 months the copper turns on the coil collapsed and leaked freon. This was in the dead of summer. Took 1 whole week to get a new coil. Then the reversing valve leaked, another 3 days. Four years into this heat pump and I received a very high electric bill. Seems rodents(mice), can work their way into the enclosure that houses the defrost board -- it was fried. When this piece of crap goes it will not be replaced with a Tempstar!