Consumer Reviews of TEMPSTAR heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2014?

Read more about TEMPSTAR heat pumps

Date created: 2012-02-20 Name: M.Belliveau
Location: Moncton N-B

"Mini-split Heat Pump"
Piece of junk. It broke down in October 2011 and here we are Febuary 2012 and still not fixed. You get what you pay for. Still waiting for the main board from Thornes in Moncton New-Brunswick.

Date created: 2012-01-25 Name: D Barnhill

"Best Investment Yet"
I saw this site while I was researching heating units. My Tempstar is 23 years old and has had only a couple of minor calls in those 23 years. My electric bills are lower than most of my neighbors. I just expect to have to replace it in the next couple of years because of age, not because of problems with it now. I would highly recommend Tempstar if they are still as good as they used to be.

Date created: 2012-01-09 Name: phil
Location: al

"Compressor is still going strong"
I pulled my tempstar out of a customers home who wanted to take advantage of the 1500 tax credit. It's twenty years old and sure its broken down three times in a year but it lowered my light bill to its lowest point ever and each time only took ten minutes to fix. Compressor is still going strong. I clean it every two months needed or not. It has original coils and no rust or leaks. If it breaks down way too much get more than one company to inspect the installation for piss poor design. More importantly ask to see the installers certification and a 36 point punch list of the completed job that has his signature.

Date created: 2011-12-15 Name: Dissatisfied Customer
Location: Las Vegas, NV

"5 ton Tempstar"
We installed a brand new 5 ton unit in 2001 and it has broken down at least twice a year ever since. I bought the 10 year parts and labor on this thing thank god I did! I now have it covered by the home warranty and it continues to break down like clockwork. I wish they would just replace the thing and be done with it.

Date created: 2011-12-07 Name: Art
Location: cincinnati

"What a piece of crap"
Built a house -- had a heat pump installed. Within 18 months the copper turns on the coil collapsed and leaked freon. This was in the dead of summer. Took 1 whole week to get a new coil. Then the reversing valve leaked, another 3 days. Four years into this heat pump and I received a very high electric bill. Seems rodents(mice), can work their way into the enclosure that houses the defrost board -- it was fried. When this piece of crap goes it will not be replaced with a Tempstar!

Date created: 2011-10-31 Name: Phillip Simmons
Location: Palm Coast Florida

"4 Ton Tempstar leaks"
We bought a new house by Mercedes Homes in Palm Coast Florida in 2003 and have had nothing but problems. Some were sloppy installation craftsmanship but 3 evaporator coil leaks and replacements are unacceptable. 12 seer high efficiency at the time. Then 1 month after the last evaporator coil was replaced the expansion valve was clogged up and had to be replaced. Just garbage. Our last house was built in 1985 and had a Trane 9 seer Heat Pump as original. That Trane unit lasted 26 years and was still running just fine when we sold the house. The only repair done in that time frame was 1 compressor contractor switch, 1 compressor run capacitor, and 1 condenser fan motor. I would have requested a Trane unit installed but the house was already build but we never expected this kind of problems. Florida is 90+ degrees 7 months out of the year with 80-90% humidity. Never will buy a Tempstar, they are "Contractor Grade" junk.

Date created: 2011-05-20 Name: Larry M.
Location: Palm Bay, FL

"3 Ton Heath Pump"
A heat pump unit should last much longer then 5 years. I paid $624 for a repair due to a leak. Then 2 weeks later the unit blows up in two areas and sprays oil all over the unit. I won't risk another expensive repair just for the unit to break again. I'm getting a new heat pump and informing co-workers and family to not buy a tempstar unit ever. And stop blaming possible bad installs. The units themselves don't last past 5 years.

Date created: 2011-04-25 Name: kent steeves
Location: Moncton N.B. Canada

"HVAC Technical service advisor"
Please be careful when reading reviews like these ones as typically they are unjust. The Tempstar heatpump system is built to the highest quality and backed by the best warranty in the business. The biggest challenge in the industry is a proper installation and ductwork design. Ductwork is the single largest problem in the industry causing any heatpump to run poorly and even fail prematurely. Many untrained home owners blame the comfort level on the heatpump when the problem was caused by improper ductwork design. With 25 years experience in the industry working with all the top heatpump manufacturers I can assure you that the Tempstar heatpump is of the highest quality and when properly installed will give you many years of comfort and savings.

Date created: 2011-04-18 Name: john
Location: HOT,HOT, GA.

"Who does the install"
I have worked 20+ years in field. An HVAC system is only as good as the guy that put it in. PERIOD...I now work for a carrier dealer and there is almost no differance in the two products.If you take the nameplate off, you would have to look at the model number to tell.It all comes down to the installer..I don't care who makes the equipment,If it's not done properly the life of the unit will be reduced,parts will fail,and it just won't work right..And PLEASE CHANGE YOUR FILTERS....Thanx

Date created: 2011-04-13 Name: Camryn
Location: Jacksonville, Florida

"LOVE my TEMPSTAR"
I own a Tempstar and live in Jax, Fl where it gets HOT!! I love the Tempstar that Abaco sold to me. I had to replace a capacitor. But so have my neighbors who own other brand units. We have lots of lighting and due to that, it can cause the capacitors to go out quicker. My neighbor has a Tempstar also & does not do any up keep on his. Of course, due to this lack of attention his fails more often. But I have regular tune ups every year and change my filters monthly. I LOVE my TEMPSTAR and it was well worth my money for my family of 4. Like a car, if you keep up with regular maintenance you should be very happy with this unit. You can't buy a car,never change the oil or have regular maintenance and expect it to last. Which is my neighbors result due to his lack of attention. I highly recommend Tempstar & Abaco Air who installed it 11 years ago. You have kept my family comfortable in the SUNSHINE state of Florida!