Consumer Reviews of TEMPSTAR heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2014?

Read more about TEMPSTAR heat pumps

Date created: 2013-01-25 Name: C. Stewart
Location: KY

"Unit is Less Than 6 Months Old"
I purchased this unit in June 2012, ac worked fine. The problems began when I had to turn on the heat. This unit was very noisy, to the point I could hear it kick on and shift modes in several rooms of my home, was sometimes awaken by the noise at night, and my neighbor also complained of the noise. The installer explained the shift into defrost mode but his explanation didn't fit the noises the unit was making. Sometimes the unit would make a very loud noise when trying to start, decrease in noise level, and start again. This could happen 3 times within one cycle. The noise sounded like a motor straining. The installer made numerous trips out to try to catch the noise without any luck. Finally, they installed a sound blanket which reduced the noise somewhat but did not address the problem with the straining motor. I have also noticed the unit has moved 4-6 inches so I am guessing there is significant vibration probably associated with the straining motor. On the installer's last trip out, they also informed me the unit would not function properly below 30 degrees and that I should manually switch the unit to "emergency heat". This part of the country often sees temperatures in the teens and below during the coldest months. If that had been disclosed prior to purchase I would have asked of a different model. To date the problems remain unresolved. I think I just have to write this experience off and buy another unit - too bad since I'm on a fixed income. Would I buy another tempstar? No!!!

Date created: 2012-09-02 Name: Joe Cyr
Location: Ooltewah, TN

"Unreliable, poor quality and a money pit"
In the four and a half years we had this unit, we experienced almost every failure described in this section about Tempstar. Just this year, we are $1100 in repairs just months apart. In the time we owned this unit, our repair costs exceeded the price of a top of the line heat pump. Yesterday, while inspecting the unit after another emergency weekend service call, we noticed the frame on the inner cooling coils is extremely corroded to the point that I expect a coolant leak within the year. My advice to anyone reading this, do not put any repairs into this unit. Cut your losses and buy a new heat pump.

Date created: 2012-08-03 Name: Stephen L Gibson
Location: Hendersonville, TN

"This thing is JUNK"
After only 2 years in service the blower motor is out. I have been without ac for over a month and they cannot provide the replacement part. According to the distributors, Carrier (ICP's partent company) is having serious issues with this motor. They have debated a recall but since they only provide parts and no labor, it is better for them to just send more reject motors and sell them to the consumer later. If you are debating purchasing an hvac unit, or any climate control unit, see if it is made by Carrier or any of their affiliates. If so, run!!!!!!!! If you already have one and have issues, contact the bbb, I am sure they want to hear from you.

Date created: 2012-07-15 Name: Art Mittendorf
Location: Cincinnati

"What a piece of crap"
The coil leaked in 18 months of moving in a new house. The factory (a vp), told me they could not ship a whole new unit because of EPA regs. Took a week to get the coil. Have lost pc boards on board the unit because it is built so shitty that mice can get into sensitive components. Have also lost the rev. valve. When it dies, anyone else's system but not this crap unit.

Date created: 2012-07-13 Name: cecil fielders
Location: Grants Lick, Ky.

"Good products"
Very good service, am buying another newer model.

Date created: 2012-06-27 Name: Stephen L Gibson
Location: Hendersonville, TN

"RUN AWAY FIND SOMETHING ELSE"
The Warranty is a joke!!! I have had my unit for 2 yars and was fairly satisfied. Then last night the blower stops working. I called my cousin who installed the units and discovered it is either the blower motor or a capacitor. I call TempStar this morning only to discover they will not honor the warranty. Yes, that is correct, will not honor their own warranty. After several calls to their corporate office, they agreed to honor it if I used one of their service guys. I called when the quote reached $500 I stopped them considering the parts were only $300 from the highest priced dealer on the internet. plus< the guy wanted me to fron the cost of the parts "...just until I get my money back from TempStar. You know how they are." DO NOT BUY THIS UNIT OR CARRIER OR ANY OTHER ICP UNITS!!! Go get a Train or a Rheem or ANYTHING ELSE. THIS COMPANY WILL STEAL YOUR MONEY!!!!

Date created: 2012-03-18 Name: m.belliveau

"Mini-split"
Going on six month and still waiting for my main board from moncton new- brunswick.

Date created: 2012-03-14 Name: Tom Donaldson
Location: Peach Bottom, Pa

"Very Satisfied"
I guess the old saying there are good ones and bad ones of everything! I have owned my second one now and updated due to energy usage. And it depends on the grade of the equipment as there are contractor grades which in any brand are very low on the scale and high eff ones which are good and efficient so again your depending on your contractor to size and install the equipment properly also service it properly as to many contractors will blame it on the equipment. So your back to the question was the equipment installed properly? Sized properly and is the equipment efficient? I know that Tempstar has one of the best warranty's I have found and my contractor has made a big improvement in my homes comfort. My Model is txh536gka00a1 heat pump and is very quiet and efficient with no problems. This is the second one on my home and the only reason I replaced it was the tax credit to upgrade my system.

Date created: 2012-03-11 Name: Joseph Simon
Location: Statham, Georgia

"HEAT PUMP"
Had a new heat pump installed in 10/2010. Notice this winter that my power bill kept rising from the mid-hundreds to $300 in January 2012. Called the hvac service man who found a defective coil. Tempstar covered the part but not the $450 labor. I never had a coil replaced in 50 plus years using air conditioning in my houses, cars, trucks or refrigerated trailers. The coil was surely a substandard part. Tempstar should have at least paid me back 50% of the $450 labor.

Date created: 2012-02-23 Name: scotparsons
Location: dover,de

"DON'T BUY"
We have 7 of these units with various model numbers. nhp048aka2 was one of them. After the first year or two, most all the coils went bad, with other issues as well. Tempstar replaced some coils & some boards, then gave up. The installer gave up as well. There was never any mention by multiple parties of faulty installation. It was new construction as well. Tempstar would not replace these entire units with something that worked. The builder had two of these in his personal house, and told the hvac contractor to take the pieces of crap out. Years later after threatening lawsuits I bumped in to the hvac installer & he said he lost his ass on the Tempstar units. He said the coils from China were mostly all bad. I had spent over $20,000 in repairs over 4 years, but could not afford the $50,000 or so full replacement cost. Every year the units must be recharged at over $100 a piece, some units need it twice a year. I would file a class action lawsuit against Tempstar if there were many others with the same issues.