Consumer Reviews of TEMPSTAR heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2014?

Read more about TEMPSTAR heat pumps

Date created: 2013-09-27 Name: J. Greek
Location: Bridgewater, NS

"3 Ton 2 Stage: 17.5 SEER"
I work for a company that installs Tempstar heat pumps. I replaced my existing oil furnace with a 3 ton, 2 stage unit in the spring of 2012. It worked well throughout the summer, but didn't seem to be heating well once the temperature started to drop. I found that the air from the registers never felt warm at all, and it was cutting into emergency heat very frequently. When I got a $1100 power bill, I knew for certain that something was wrong! I had by this time gained significant experience installing these units and I checked the sizing of the ductwork to find that I was sorely undersized. I also determined that the unit was undercharged and needed additional refrigerant added to the system. After properly weighing the charge and increasing the size of my ductwork, I have noticed greatly improved performance and lower operating costs. I strongly suggest to anyone looking to have a system installed to ensure that you have a reputable contractor that understands the requirements of these systems. I have since installed many of these units myself and am proud to say that in the three years our company has been installing them, we have had very little issues with the equipment. All of which have been honoured by the warranty with no problems. I would recommend Tempstar to anyone who asks, as they are a well-made product with a strong warranty program. Installation makes all the difference.

Date created: 2013-07-03 Name: Harry Morgan

"VERY DISSATISFIED"
I have owned Tempstars for approximately 12 years. The first one was a 4 ton gas pack. Within 8 yrs I replaced 2 fans and the heating coil. I now own a heat pump. It is 4 1/2 yrs old and I need to replace the fan. It is under warranty however, I have had to go approximately 4 days with limited air.

Date created: 2013-05-24 Name: Todd s.
Location: Lexington, s.c.

"Run Far and Fast"
We built a new home in 2009, the builder had the Tempstar installed. In 15 months, just 3 months after the warranty ran out the coil went bad. We had to eat that $750 bill. Then in 10 months that coil went bad again, Tempstar did replace that coil but we still had to come out of pocket $80 for freon. Now 3.5 years into this, the compressor is hard starting Tempstar is only giving us $650 credit on a new one. I will tell you this my next unit will not be a Tempstar!!

Date created: 2013-04-27 Name: J. Gilbert
Location: Ocala, FL

"NOT REALLY IMPRESSED!"
I bought my Tempstar unit Sept. 2010 after my Trane unit finally died after 20 yrs of very good service and never had any trouble. When looking for a new a/c unit I didn't find Trane to be as well made now as it was years ago, so after looking on the internet I saw Tempstar looked pretty good as it seemed well manufactured and it had a good warranty. I was happy with this new unit and it worked well for almost 2 years when suddenly the blower motor died. The worst part is- I do not run my unit very much. So I contacted the guy who installed the unit and explained to him that the blower motor wasn't working- what he told me was itís a common problem with that brand (nice to know, now) and all he had to do was pick up a new blower motor and bring it out to my house. He got the new blower motor installed in about an hour and then gave me a bill of $110. I didn't understand the cost because this unit was still under warranty! I guess he expected me to just pay him and shut up- well I don't work that way. When I questioned him about the cost, he didn't like that and from that I could tell he probably wouldn't be coming back if I had any other problems. I didn't even give him a hard time! Just asked about the price? People with his attitude shouldn't be in business as far as I am concerned. I really like this unit but just hope I don't have any other problems as any more repair costs may force me to look at just putting the money into a new a/c unit made by someone else. That would be a shame.

Date created: 2012-09-02 Name: Joe Cyr
Location: Ooltewah, TN

"Unreliable, poor quality and a money pit"
In the four and a half years we had this unit, we experienced almost every failure described in this section about Tempstar. Just this year, we are $1100 in repairs just months apart. In the time we owned this unit, our repair costs exceeded the price of a top of the line heat pump. Yesterday, while inspecting the unit after another emergency weekend service call, we noticed the frame on the inner cooling coils is extremely corroded to the point that I expect a coolant leak within the year. My advice to anyone reading this, do not put any repairs into this unit. Cut your losses and buy a new heat pump.

Date created: 2012-08-03 Name: Stephen L Gibson
Location: Hendersonville, TN

"This thing is JUNK"
After only 2 years in service the blower motor is out. I have been without ac for over a month and they cannot provide the replacement part. According to the distributors, Carrier (ICP's partent company) is having serious issues with this motor. They have debated a recall but since they only provide parts and no labor, it is better for them to just send more reject motors and sell them to the consumer later. If you are debating purchasing an hvac unit, or any climate control unit, see if it is made by Carrier or any of their affiliates. If so, run!!!!!!!! If you already have one and have issues, contact the bbb, I am sure they want to hear from you.

Date created: 2012-07-15 Name: Art Mittendorf
Location: Cincinnati

"What a piece of crap"
The coil leaked in 18 months of moving in a new house. The factory (a vp), told me they could not ship a whole new unit because of EPA regs. Took a week to get the coil. Have lost pc boards on board the unit because it is built so shitty that mice can get into sensitive components. Have also lost the rev. valve. When it dies, anyone else's system but not this crap unit.

Date created: 2012-07-13 Name: cecil fielders
Location: Grants Lick, Ky.

"Good products"
Very good service, am buying another newer model.

Date created: 2012-03-18 Name: m.belliveau

"Mini-split"
Going on six month and still waiting for my main board from moncton new- brunswick.

Date created: 2012-03-14 Name: Tom Donaldson
Location: Peach Bottom, Pa

"Very Satisfied"
I guess the old saying there are good ones and bad ones of everything! I have owned my second one now and updated due to energy usage. And it depends on the grade of the equipment as there are contractor grades which in any brand are very low on the scale and high eff ones which are good and efficient so again your depending on your contractor to size and install the equipment properly also service it properly as to many contractors will blame it on the equipment. So your back to the question was the equipment installed properly? Sized properly and is the equipment efficient? I know that Tempstar has one of the best warranty's I have found and my contractor has made a big improvement in my homes comfort. My Model is txh536gka00a1 heat pump and is very quiet and efficient with no problems. This is the second one on my home and the only reason I replaced it was the tax credit to upgrade my system.