Consumer Reviews of TEMPSTAR heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2018?

Read more about TEMPSTAR heat pumps

Date created: 2015-11-25 Name: B.Chandler
Location: Greensboro, NC

"Nightmare! Do not buy!"
Bought 2 Tempstar units in 2013. Both are royal pieces of crap. Installers/service company does nothing but listen to us complain about the horrible vibrating noise at start-up and defrost cycle. For a 15 SEER rating, we have only seen our energy bill go up! The main unit (2.5 ton) replaced an 18 year old Trane. Sure wish we had it back! I'm online researching a new unit now. The noise is keeping us awake at night, and I'm sick of the energy costs. Thousands of $$$ down the drain after only 2 years. Do not buy Tempstar!

Date created: 2015-10-29 Name: miller
Location: Indiana

"A piece of crap"
Unit is less than 3 years old. I purchased this unit in June 2012, AC worked fine. The problems began when I had to turn on the heat. This unit was very noisy, to the point I could hear it kick on and shift modes in several rooms of my home. I was sometimes awakened by the noise at night, and my neighbor also complained of the noise. The installer explained the shift into defrost mode but his explanation didn't fit the noises the unit was making. Sometimes the unit would make a very loud noise when trying to start, decrease in noise level, and start again. This could happen 3 times within one cycle. The noise sounded like a motor straining. The installer made numerous trips out to try to catch the noise without any luck. Finally, they installed a sound blanket which reduced the noise somewhat but did not address the problem with the straining motor. I have also noticed the unit has moved 4-6 inches so I am guessing there is significant vibration probably associated with the straining motor. On the installer's last trip out, they also informed me the unit would not function properly below 30 degrees and that I should manually switch the unit to "emergency heat". This part of the country often sees temperatures in the teens and below during the coldest months. If that had been disclosed prior to purchase I would have asked for a different model. To date the problems remain unresolved. I think I just have to write this experience off and buy another unit - too bad since I'm on a fixed income. Would I buy another Tempstar? No! From day one this problem continues.

Date created: 2014-11-15 Name: Craig Bellile
Location: Jacksonville, NC

"Piece of crap! Do not buy! Stay away!"
This is the biggest waste of money I have ever spent. Save yourself the hassle and stay away from any Tempstar unit. If I had a way to go back in time and buy something else, I would have looked at the reviews of this piece of shit unit of a thing. I spent over $7,000.00 for this unit. I thought it was great with a 10-year warranty, but I feel sorry for the company that installed it who, every year, has to come out and fix the same problems over and over again. Every year so far it has had to be repaired, for something or another. In the last 6 years we have had to replace the condenser 4 times, and at over $1200.00 a year that is not a great thing. We always know when something is about to go wrong because our electric bill for the month will sky rocket from about $250.00 to about $700. One month was $786.00. So now I have to pay to have it fixed, and I have to figure out how to pay my electric bill or have the electricity shut off. I have asked the owner of the company who installed it, " What can be done about this and is there a way the manufacturer would take this back because of all the problems we are having, and give us a new unit that works." I get the same song and dance, "No, they won't do anything about it." The sad part about it is, I'm a 100% disabled Marine veteran, which means I'm on a fixed income and cannot work. So here it is again, the cold season, and once again I dread making that phone call and wondering how much is it going to cost and what will the electric bill look like. Woke up at 1:00 am this morning to the house being 67 degrees. I set the temperature for 69 degrees and woke again at 4:30 am to it being 61 degrees in the house. The heat is on and again, there is no heat in the house. I know people out there that have had other heat pumps in their house for over 20 years and have the yearly $150 - $250.00 maintenance done and have no problems, where every year for the past 13 years since we have had this unit put in it has been nothing but problems. I remind you that it is not just a simple fuse or low on Freon type of thing. I'm talking about panel circuit boards being replaced, condensers, things that cost $1000.00 -$1200.00 a year, not to forget the electrical bills that come from it. All I can say is these are the biggest pieces of shit anyone could ever buy, and how someone or some company in America gets away with it or sleeps at night knowing they are building crap is beyond me. You know the saying fool me once shame on you, fool me twice I'm the idiot? Well, that won't happen here.

Date created: 2014-07-14 Name: c mood
Location: spencer in

"The "A" Coils Leak"
A coils leak -- the model is 2 years old. Cost $315.00 to fix. How about Junkstar?

Date created: 2014-07-02 Name: C.Hodson
Location: Columbia, SC

"STAY AWAY from Tempstar"
We built a new home in 2011. We have 2 units, one is gas heat pump the other is electric. Well, within 90 days of moving in they had to add freon to our units on our 90 day walk through with the builder. Should have known that was a very bad sign, but we didn't think anything of it. Well within the 1st year the motor on one of the units went out. Then the next year there was a freon leak on one unit and the coil on the other unit had to be replaced. Now the unit with coil replacement is not working again. I am fed up with Tempstar and have tried contacting them several times in different ways. I have even contacted Carrier which is supposedly the parent company and they were just as rude as the tempstar customer service. We have already put over $1000 into the units in 3 years. That is with the warranty because the warranty does not cover freon or labor or shipping and handling of the parts. We were even charged a processing fee on the coil that was under warranty!!! So they may say warranty, but they will get your money some how. Stay away from Tempstar or any company related to them.

Date created: 2014-06-06 Name: Mark Garrett
Location: Coldwater, Ms

"Leak in evaporator coil only 5 years old"
I am hearing of alot of people that are having to replace evaporators only after a few years of operation...This is not a fun thing to do and Tempstar is not making it easy for r-22 users....I Went to get a new 5 Ton coil and it was priced at $1,200 just for the coil...I Told the parts guy I can buy a whole new assembly for that price and sure enough when he looked it up the blower and evaportator all together was alittle over $700....The bad thing is they are not stocking 22 untis anymore and wanted me to change out to a r410a entire system...I Said no thanks but bought the $700 r410a indoor blower assembly and am going to change the expanasion valve to r22: which to make matters worst, they did not have the 5 Ton expansion valve in stock and will be almost a week before they can get one....Very dissatisfied with Tempstar.

Date created: 2013-11-28 Name: backwheelbandit

"Dirty Sock Syndrome"
What I did 2 days ago is move my auxiliary heat strip on the return side of the unit, so that the temperature would get high enough to kill the bacteria that builds up in the coils and so far it has worked. Took me about 2 hours. I have a 2-year old Tempstar package unit 3-ton. I could not believe the smell of a brand new unit had put off and the many cases that are out there. It is only in the units that are more efficient and the aluminum strips are closer together. So I guess try it. Whoever has manufactured this problem of a more efficient coil should be responsible I believe. 3rd day, found out that it definitely helps but not perfected. I have to bump the temp up so that the heat strip will come on with the evaporator coils to reach a killing temp again. It is 21 degrees outside this morning.

Date created: 2013-10-24 Name: C. Purser
Location: NC

"Outdoor Package Heat Pump"
We had our package heat pump replaced with a Tempstar 2-ton 14.5 seer unit in May of 2010. The other unit was 24 years old and for the 16 years we lived in our home, it gave us one problem. The blower motor had to be replaced, cost $250 for part and installation. Much to our dismay, our new Tempstar unit failed to circulate air on September 30, 2013. I called the installation company and they come out to see what happened, and lo and behold, the blower motor is shot. This appears to be an ongoing theme with people who own these units. But the real shocker was the bill for warranty WORK. $385, just for labor. This company should be ashamed with the number of people that have had this issue. Clearly, they use cheap Chinese crap to circulate air. I would not advise anyone to buy Tempstar. If you do, then do not be surprised with the repair bills to keep it running.

Date created: 2013-09-27 Name: J. Greek
Location: Bridgewater, NS

"3 Ton 2 Stage: 17.5 SEER"
I work for a company that installs Tempstar heat pumps. I replaced my existing oil furnace with a 3 ton, 2 stage unit in the spring of 2012. It worked well throughout the summer, but didn't seem to be heating well once the temperature started to drop. I found that the air from the registers never felt warm at all, and it was cutting into emergency heat very frequently. When I got a $1100 power bill, I knew for certain that something was wrong! I had by this time gained significant experience installing these units and I checked the sizing of the ductwork to find that I was sorely undersized. I also determined that the unit was undercharged and needed additional refrigerant added to the system. After properly weighing the charge and increasing the size of my ductwork, I have noticed greatly improved performance and lower operating costs. I strongly suggest to anyone looking to have a system installed to ensure that you have a reputable contractor that understands the requirements of these systems. I have since installed many of these units myself and am proud to say that in the three years our company has been installing them, we have had very little issues with the equipment. All of which have been honoured by the warranty with no problems. I would recommend Tempstar to anyone who asks, as they are a well-made product with a strong warranty program. Installation makes all the difference.

Date created: 2013-07-03 Name: Harry Morgan

"VERY DISSATISFIED"
I have owned Tempstars for approximately 12 years. The first one was a 4 ton gas pack. Within 8 yrs I replaced 2 fans and the heating coil. I now own a heat pump. It is 4 1/2 yrs old and I need to replace the fan. It is under warranty however, I have had to go approximately 4 days with limited air.