Consumer Reviews of TEMPSTAR heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2017?

Read more about TEMPSTAR heat pumps

Date created: 2017-09-11 Name: Joe H
Location: New Brunswick, CA

"Completely iced up..no heat"
The warranty is no good. I called the warranty company as the installer refused to do anything, and they basically threw it back at the installer. This unit stayed frozen from the day after it was installed until spring. Not a good unit at all. I do not recommend.

Date created: 2017-04-29 Name: Stacey Morgan
Location: Lula, GA

"Over 27 years of awesome service so far"
We have two 2.5 ton units on a two story house we built in 1990. Maybe 10 service calls with very few parts relaxed. I'm sure we will have to replace them in the near future, but I also know things just aren't made to last like they were years ago! We couldn't have asked for a better product!

Date created: 2017-03-03 Name: Jane Doe
Location: Melbourne, FL

"BRAND"
Has anyone ever thought..its not the equipment but the installers! Its not like a window unit you plug in and out. Its a system that has to be properly installed to function for years. I have had mine for over 5yrs and no issues. I have my annual maintenance done and change my filter every other month. If you dont keep up with it (any brand) of course it can fail....its man made!!

Date created: 2016-12-23 Name: Gary Branch
Location: Rayville, La.

"Love it"
I've looked at reviews on Tempstar and other brands, seems to me there is as many bad reviews on other brands also. I'm enjoying my second Tempstar heat pump. All the bad reviews kinda lead me to believe the units are being installed by installers that want to get the unit in as fast as they can, get your money and run hoping your unit fails so they can and hit you with a repair bill later. My dealer/installer is one that I can count on making me feel he has done his best. Have a unit in my daughter's house that runs flawlessly (13 years) also! There are too many unqualified installers and repairmen out there, people that have very little experience that want to call themselves professionals! Do your homework, your problems could be your installer/serviceman not the unit.

Date created: 2016-09-17 Name: ellen guy
Location: Fernandina Beach, FL

"POS"
Bought a brand new 5 ton unit. It only lasted one year and 12 days before the compressor went out. Cost me $323 to have it put in because the labor warranty is only good for 1 year and an additional $50 for shipping because the installer doesn't carry the parts to repair. The other reviews are on target. These units only last a little bit longer than their warranties.

Date created: 2016-07-15 Name: JC
Location: Coastal North Carolina

"From a dealer's point of view"
We offered a well-known brand for over 12 years. They were bought out and now it is not even close to the same company. We switched to Tempstar. Here are the reasons why: Tempstar backs the warranty and does not make the dealer jump through hoops for a warranty credit (if you sell a house that has a Trane or American standard system that is still under warranty, as the buyer you have 60 days and need to pay a fee to transfer the warranty or you will forever lose any remaining warranty coverage). Trane & American Standard are now owned by Ingersoll Rand. Tempstar offer a coastal coil as an option in the outdoor unit. I get fast service and support from my distributor. If a heating contractor is worth their salt they should be able to fix a Tempstar system. Some brands are overly complicated today. Some systems have 3 module boards. If something should ever happen to us our Tempstar customers should be able to find another service man. It usually fits back where the other unit was located. Some brands will not fit back. The X-13 motors had some problems but this wasn't only a Tempstar problem it was in other company's systems too. This was a motor manufacture issue that showed up in the air handlers.and has long been resolved. Some of the bad rap comes from the fact that Tempstar systems are being sold to most any company that would like to sell one. We have on the side of our trucks "what really matters" - the guys in the truck and the company that is behind them. If you can find a company that will measure the house, do a heat loss heat gain to properly size your system you are getting. Ask them, did they look at the duct system to make sure it is sized properly? Ask them if they use nitrogen while brazing the Freon lines, and if they use a micron gauge when pulling a vacuum. If they don't do any of this, I don't care how cheap they are, find yourself another guy because it is not them. 99% of getting a good quality job is choosing the right guys. FYI I will not respond to any comments as most likely you would not be in my market place.

Date created: 2016-03-02 Name: steve
Location: Protem, MO

"A coil nightmare"
Needing a 3rd coil & Tempstar is refusing any responsibility. Local installer/repair man told me with the 1st replacement they were having issues with a coils but since unit was already installed I had little choice except to see what happens. Replaced & repaired, leaking in a spot not reachable to weld/repair. My local installer says the rep for the area is hard to reach & unresponsive -- go someplace other than Tempstar for your heating & cooling needs. The company in Protem is **** ***** Heating & Cooling - he is now unresponsive as well!

Date created: 2015-12-15 Name: Jason
Location: Arizona

"Crap!"
Thirteen calls in six years, I'm tearing it off the wall and changing brands.

Date created: 2015-11-30 Name: Dave Rich
Location: Vail, AZ

"Beware! Piece of crap!"
When it works, it does what I expect, heating and cooling the house fairly efficiently but it has had 3 services calls in 3 years. The first occurred less than a week after installation and should have alerted me we were in for it. A minor problem of the blower fan cage coming loose and hitting the housing but one that should never happen. A bit over two and a half years later the blower motor failed. After replacing that, it still didn't work quite right and the start capacitors needed replacing. Sure the parts were warrantied but I still paid several hundred in labor costs. Then not 5 months later, the evaporator coil failed in numerous places! Like all at once in 10 different spots! We were without heat over Thanksgiving (2+ weeks) and outdoor temperatures have repeatedly dipped to freezing. House temperature this morning was 61 in the center core and the bedrooms far colder. They "fixed" it today but after watching the "technicians" rip out the old one, damaging the insulation and pry and batter the new one into the cabinet, bending many fins in the process, I'll be amazed if it doesn't lose its charge by tomorrow morning. The regional rep for Carrier and Tempstar is rude and doesn't return calls he committed to. Calling and leaving a message for to him call me resulted in nothing more than being angry when he again didn't call. These companies are owned by United Technologies which makes jet engines. You'd think making a quality air conditioner would be fall out of bed easy for them. I can only surmise they are making and selling junk to the unsuspecting on purpose.

Date created: 2015-11-25 Name: B.Chandler
Location: Greensboro, NC

"Nightmare! Do not buy!"
Bought 2 Tempstar units in 2013. Both are royal pieces of crap. Installers/service company does nothing but listen to us complain about the horrible vibrating noise at start-up and defrost cycle. For a 15 SEER rating, we have only seen our energy bill go up! The main unit (2.5 ton) replaced an 18 year old Trane. Sure wish we had it back! I'm online researching a new unit now. The noise is keeping us awake at night, and I'm sick of the energy costs. Thousands of $$$ down the drain after only 2 years. Do not buy Tempstar!