Consumer Reviews of TEMPSTAR heat pumps

Read more about TEMPSTAR heat pumps

Date created: 2016-07-15 Name: JC
Location: Coastal North Carolina

"From a dealer's point of view"
We offered a well-known brand for over 12 years. They were bought out and now it is not even close to the same company. We switched to Tempstar. Here are the reasons why: Tempstar backs the warranty and does not make the dealer jump through hoops for a warranty credit (if you sell a house that has a Trane or American standard system that is still under warranty, as the buyer you have 60 days and need to pay a fee to transfer the warranty or you will forever lose any remaining warranty coverage). Trane & American Standard are now owned by Ingersoll Rand. Tempstar offer a coastal coil as an option in the outdoor unit. I get fast service and support from my distributor. If a heating contractor is worth their salt they should be able to fix a Tempstar system. Some brands are overly complicated today. Some systems have 3 module boards. If something should ever happen to us our Tempstar customers should be able to find another service man. It usually fits back where the other unit was located. Some brands will not fit back. The X-13 motors had some problems but this wasn't only a Tempstar problem it was in other company's systems too. This was a motor manufacture issue that showed up in the air handlers.and has long been resolved. Some of the bad rap comes from the fact that Tempstar systems are being sold to most any company that would like to sell one. We have on the side of our trucks "what really matters" - the guys in the truck and the company that is behind them. If you can find a company that will measure the house, do a heat loss heat gain to properly size your system you are getting. Ask them, did they look at the duct system to make sure it is sized properly? Ask them if they use nitrogen while brazing the Freon lines, and if they use a micron gauge when pulling a vacuum. If they don't do any of this, I don't care how cheap they are, find yourself another guy because it is not them. 99% of getting a good quality job is choosing the right guys. FYI I will not respond to any comments as most likely you would not be in my market place.

Date created: 2016-03-02 Name: steve
Location: Protem, MO

"A coil nightmare"
Needing a 3rd coil & Tempstar is refusing any responsibility. Local installer/repair man told me with the 1st replacement they were having issues with a coils but since unit was already installed I had little choice except to see what happens. Replaced & repaired, leaking in a spot not reachable to weld/repair. My local installer says the rep for the area is hard to reach & unresponsive -- go someplace other than Tempstar for your heating & cooling needs. The company in Protem is **** ***** Heating & Cooling - he is now unresponsive as well!

Date created: 2015-12-15 Name: Jason
Location: Arizona

"Crap!"
Thirteen calls in six years, I'm tearing it off the wall and changing brands.

Date created: 2015-11-30 Name: Dave Rich
Location: Vail, AZ

"Beware! Piece of crap!"
When it works, it does what I expect, heating and cooling the house fairly efficiently but it has had 3 services calls in 3 years. The first occurred less than a week after installation and should have alerted me we were in for it. A minor problem of the blower fan cage coming loose and hitting the housing but one that should never happen. A bit over two and a half years later the blower motor failed. After replacing that, it still didn't work quite right and the start capacitors needed replacing. Sure the parts were warrantied but I still paid several hundred in labor costs. Then not 5 months later, the evaporator coil failed in numerous places! Like all at once in 10 different spots! We were without heat over Thanksgiving (2+ weeks) and outdoor temperatures have repeatedly dipped to freezing. House temperature this morning was 61 in the center core and the bedrooms far colder. They "fixed" it today but after watching the "technicians" rip out the old one, damaging the insulation and pry and batter the new one into the cabinet, bending many fins in the process, I'll be amazed if it doesn't lose its charge by tomorrow morning. The regional rep for Carrier and Tempstar is rude and doesn't return calls he committed to. Calling and leaving a message for to him call me resulted in nothing more than being angry when he again didn't call. These companies are owned by United Technologies which makes jet engines. You'd think making a quality air conditioner would be fall out of bed easy for them. I can only surmise they are making and selling junk to the unsuspecting on purpose.

Date created: 2015-11-25 Name: B.Chandler
Location: Greensboro, NC

"Nightmare! Do not buy!"
Bought 2 Tempstar units in 2013. Both are royal pieces of crap. Installers/service company does nothing but listen to us complain about the horrible vibrating noise at start-up and defrost cycle. For a 15 SEER rating, we have only seen our energy bill go up! The main unit (2.5 ton) replaced an 18 year old Trane. Sure wish we had it back! I'm online researching a new unit now. The noise is keeping us awake at night, and I'm sick of the energy costs. Thousands of $$$ down the drain after only 2 years. Do not buy Tempstar!

Date created: 2015-10-29 Name: miller
Location: Indiana

"A piece of crap"
Unit is less than 3 years old. I purchased this unit in June 2012, AC worked fine. The problems began when I had to turn on the heat. This unit was very noisy, to the point I could hear it kick on and shift modes in several rooms of my home. I was sometimes awakened by the noise at night, and my neighbor also complained of the noise. The installer explained the shift into defrost mode but his explanation didn't fit the noises the unit was making. Sometimes the unit would make a very loud noise when trying to start, decrease in noise level, and start again. This could happen 3 times within one cycle. The noise sounded like a motor straining. The installer made numerous trips out to try to catch the noise without any luck. Finally, they installed a sound blanket which reduced the noise somewhat but did not address the problem with the straining motor. I have also noticed the unit has moved 4-6 inches so I am guessing there is significant vibration probably associated with the straining motor. On the installer's last trip out, they also informed me the unit would not function properly below 30 degrees and that I should manually switch the unit to "emergency heat". This part of the country often sees temperatures in the teens and below during the coldest months. If that had been disclosed prior to purchase I would have asked for a different model. To date the problems remain unresolved. I think I just have to write this experience off and buy another unit - too bad since I'm on a fixed income. Would I buy another Tempstar? No! From day one this problem continues.

Date created: 2014-11-15 Name: Craig Bellile
Location: Jacksonville, NC

"Piece of crap! Do not buy! Stay away!"
This is the biggest waste of money I have ever spent. Save yourself the hassle and stay away from any Tempstar unit. If I had a way to go back in time and buy something else, I would have looked at the reviews of this piece of shit unit of a thing. I spent over $7,000.00 for this unit. I thought it was great with a 10-year warranty, but I feel sorry for the company that installed it who, every year, has to come out and fix the same problems over and over again. Every year so far it has had to be repaired, for something or another. In the last 6 years we have had to replace the condenser 4 times, and at over $1200.00 a year that is not a great thing. We always know when something is about to go wrong because our electric bill for the month will sky rocket from about $250.00 to about $700. One month was $786.00. So now I have to pay to have it fixed, and I have to figure out how to pay my electric bill or have the electricity shut off. I have asked the owner of the company who installed it, " What can be done about this and is there a way the manufacturer would take this back because of all the problems we are having, and give us a new unit that works." I get the same song and dance, "No, they won't do anything about it." The sad part about it is, I'm a 100% disabled Marine veteran, which means I'm on a fixed income and cannot work. So here it is again, the cold season, and once again I dread making that phone call and wondering how much is it going to cost and what will the electric bill look like. Woke up at 1:00 am this morning to the house being 67 degrees. I set the temperature for 69 degrees and woke again at 4:30 am to it being 61 degrees in the house. The heat is on and again, there is no heat in the house. I know people out there that have had other heat pumps in their house for over 20 years and have the yearly $150 - $250.00 maintenance done and have no problems, where every year for the past 13 years since we have had this unit put in it has been nothing but problems. I remind you that it is not just a simple fuse or low on Freon type of thing. I'm talking about panel circuit boards being replaced, condensers, things that cost $1000.00 -$1200.00 a year, not to forget the electrical bills that come from it. All I can say is these are the biggest pieces of shit anyone could ever buy, and how someone or some company in America gets away with it or sleeps at night knowing they are building crap is beyond me. You know the saying fool me once shame on you, fool me twice I'm the idiot? Well, that won't happen here.

Date created: 2014-07-14 Name: c mood
Location: spencer in

"The "A" Coils Leak"
A coils leak -- the model is 2 years old. Cost $315.00 to fix. How about Junkstar?

Date created: 2014-07-02 Name: C.Hodson
Location: Columbia, SC

"STAY AWAY from Tempstar"
We built a new home in 2011. We have 2 units, one is gas heat pump the other is electric. Well, within 90 days of moving in they had to add freon to our units on our 90 day walk through with the builder. Should have known that was a very bad sign, but we didn't think anything of it. Well within the 1st year the motor on one of the units went out. Then the next year there was a freon leak on one unit and the coil on the other unit had to be replaced. Now the unit with coil replacement is not working again. I am fed up with Tempstar and have tried contacting them several times in different ways. I have even contacted Carrier which is supposedly the parent company and they were just as rude as the tempstar customer service. We have already put over $1000 into the units in 3 years. That is with the warranty because the warranty does not cover freon or labor or shipping and handling of the parts. We were even charged a processing fee on the coil that was under warranty!!! So they may say warranty, but they will get your money some how. Stay away from Tempstar or any company related to them.

Date created: 2014-06-06 Name: Mark Garrett
Location: Coldwater, Ms

"Leak in evaporator coil only 5 years old"
I am hearing of alot of people that are having to replace evaporators only after a few years of operation...This is not a fun thing to do and Tempstar is not making it easy for r-22 users....I Went to get a new 5 Ton coil and it was priced at $1,200 just for the coil...I Told the parts guy I can buy a whole new assembly for that price and sure enough when he looked it up the blower and evaportator all together was alittle over $700....The bad thing is they are not stocking 22 untis anymore and wanted me to change out to a r410a entire system...I Said no thanks but bought the $700 r410a indoor blower assembly and am going to change the expanasion valve to r22: which to make matters worst, they did not have the 5 Ton expansion valve in stock and will be almost a week before they can get one....Very dissatisfied with Tempstar.