Consumer Reviews of TAPPAN heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2014?

Read more about TAPPAN heat pumps

Date created: 2015-05-27 Name: A Weber
Location: South Carolina

"Defective parts, is it time for legal action"
Purchased a Tappan unit in 2009. The thermostat was faulty in 2012. In 2014 the blower motor needed replacement. In 2015 there was a refrigerant leak. In all instances we have had to absorb the labor and refrigerant costs, plus the huge spike in electricity bills. Nordyne is happy to hide behind their limited warranty while we have had to spend at least half the cost of the unit's $4800 installation. It is well documented in the industry that their copper coils were not of good quality. I Am considering filing suit against them. If anyone else wishes to share their stories and dissatisfaction with Tappan/Nordyne/Nortek email me: soundestate@gmail.com

Date created: 2014-10-15 Name: Landon
Location: Phoenix, AZ

"Waste of money"
I had a custom home built in 2008. My A/C guy put in two 4-ton Tappan heat pumps. Not only can you not find parts for them when things go bad, but they both needed the coils in the air handler replaced within 6 years of having them. Looking at other websites, this is a known problem that they seem to be avoiding. I have now paid $5000 dollars in repairs. Never again would I buy such a crappy product!

Date created: 2014-10-01 Name: Tim Kavanaugh
Location: Carmel, IN

"Tappan comfort system"
We have two Tappan heat pump systems in our home; they were installed in 2005 & 2006. Maintenance has involved changing filters in the air handlers. The heat pumps have performed flawlessly. As the distributor for Tappan in central Indiana, my own experience allows me to sell Tappan to my dealers (and, in turn, to their customers) with confidence. The 10-year warranty, along with the Tappan Quality Pledge, is a terrific program and offers peace of mind. You will be pleased with your Tappan HVAC system. Remember, the dealer is the key to a good installation.

Date created: 2014-09-29 Name: Joe Knust
Location: Omaha, NE

"Heat Pump Review"
The unit looks very nice. It isn't an eye sore on the side of my house. It is very quiet, which I like, as the unit is near our back patio.

Date created: 2014-08-16 Name: M. Hummell
Location: Warren, Ohio

"Awful"
I bought a brand new house in 2008 and the coil is leaking badly enough that it can't be fixed. Very much the same problem as the other reviewer (luckily it is nice weather). Estimate cost of new coil and copper tubing $2,175! I contacted Tappen and they will replace the coil only. That will only drop it about $600. I am to still to pay for the remainder. Six of my Tappan Heat pump neighbors are probably going to be in the same boat soon since they were all built at the same time.

Date created: 2014-05-23 Name: J tobery
Location: Middletown, Md

"Peddling Junk"
I bought my unit in 2011. In the middle of the winter the heat pump quit and I had to use my back up oil furnace. I tried to use the air conditioning that is part of the heat pump / ac, it would not cool. I had the contractor come that installed it -- they said my "a" coil is defective. Tappan will supply a new coil but the contractor said that it will cost $1,200 for new copper lines and labor. From what I have heard most hp/ac units go 15 to 20 years before they start having problems. I feel that the contractor sold me junk. I'd like to mention name but I can't. Pissed off in Maryland

Date created: 2013-06-07 Name: G. Ackerman
Location: Sun City AZ

"Unreliable"
I have had this 5 ton Tappan for 7 years. First the fan blade broke loose after 2 years of use. Two years later the compressor blew, throwing oil over about 50 sq ft of roof. Today, 7 years after installation and 3 years after the compressor replacement, it is shot again. It's still under warranty and they would replace the compressor but not labor or freon. The older freon and labor would cost over $1500.00. I am giving up on that piece of crap and putting in a new Trane.

Date created: 2012-06-22 Name: E Romero
Location: Clovis, NM

"NEVER AGAIN"
Ok. So we decided to upgrade our old central heating unit, and purchased a brand new, latest model heat/air conditioning unit, replacing the indoor unit and getting a new outdoor one. Its three years old. I am currently sitting in a house that is 91 degrees. I have a six year old and three cats who have to suffer through this heat. In three years, this will be the third major repair! This unit has been nothing but trouble, is incredibly noisy, and was not worth the 6k we paid! Beware! This is truly unbelievable!

Date created: 2011-09-21 Name: carol shaffer
Location: flower mound, texas

"Service is trouble"
I will never own a Tappan ET4BD-018K again. The service is trouble and no one can find parts.