Consumer Reviews of RUUD heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2014?

Read more about RUUD heat pumps

Date created: 2008-12-01 Name: Joe Olmstead
Location: Southside, Montgomery Co., TN

"Light commercial RQPL 3 ton unit."
This unit replaced a 30 year old Rheem (the only reason I considered it). In less than one year I have had a line worn into by the indoor coil (manufacturing defect) warranty not honored, a major leak develop at a factory charge line again warranty not honored, and now I am icing up due to a faulty defrost board which the warranty will also probably not be honored on. So, I am out $800 for service calls and have an ice maker that I paid over $2000 for less than a year ago, and no heat.

Date created: 2008-06-12 Name: A Robinson
Location: Maryland

"Can't Complain"
The heat pump which came with my new townhouse was a Rudd. It served me well for 22 years! A few years ago it developed a little freon leak so, with freon getting more expensive and concern for energy savings, I replaced it today. I got a Trane and like it a lot but I'll be real surprised if it lasts as long as my Rudd did. Seems like everything you buy now is built to break.

Date created: 2008-05-03 Name: Mike Cruz
Location: Lilburn, GA

Breaks down every year and I had to replace the compressor and now the entire unit has to be replace and is only 5 yr old. Piece of junk never buy a Rudd

Date created: 2008-03-26 Name: s. james

Have a ruud 11 seer super achiever unit, no problem other than recharging unit this past year with ref.

Date created: 2008-03-24 Name: RJ Smith
Location: Edgewater, Maryland

I had a 13-seer Ruud heat pump system. It was the best system I have had. Over a 14 year period I had it peaked with refrigerant twice. That's it! This year (2008), to the month, the reversing valve went out & I decided to replace the entire unit due to the 14 year age & $1000.00 cost to replace the valve. I replaced it with an Amana 18 seer heat pump system. What a piece of junk!!!!! Previously had a carrier heat pump from 1977 to 1984...it was ok, took a lot of abuse. The dog kept pissing on it and the unit finally died. So did the dog, prematurely.

Date created: 2008-03-18 Name: C Smith
Location: Pasco, WA

Failed and had to be replaced after 13 years. Had several problems with inside and outside unit.

Date created: 2008-02-27 Name: K Oaks
Location: Coeur d'Alene, ID

An old Ruud 9 SEER was added onto an existing electric furnace and has only recently developed leaks in the outdoor coils. Prior to this the only thing that needed to be replaced was the fan on the compressor (original lasted about 12 years). It's now time to replace it and I'm having a difficult determining what to buy with all the negative reviews....

Date created: 2008-02-17 Name: Mr. Michael Davis
Location: Fairfield, AL

Never had any problem.

Date created: 2007-12-14 Name: W. Miller
Location: Arnold, Md.

The 4 ton 9 SEER Ruud unit lasted 16 years before it began having major problems. It was well maintained and only failed ( quit working )twice due to minor problems up until lately. Not the best, but I'm certain there are worse units out there.