Consumer Reviews of RUUD heat pumps

Read more about RUUD heat pumps

Date created: 2010-01-04 Name: Chad Gibbs

"AVOID RUUD Heat Pumps!"
I have four of these units (one ton unit on main level, upstairs and basement; half ton unit for bonus room above garage). I have spent more than I care to add on replacing coils, switches, etc. The parts have been under warranty but the labor isn't. Warranty expires this year and I'm starting to worry. People say that heat pumps are more efficient and will save on your electric bill, but I have spent 10 times on repair labor than I would have ever spent on heating and cooling bills. Please, for the love of God, avoid Ruud heat pumps. You can thank me later or you can think, "I should have listened to that guy..."

Date created: 2009-11-07 Name: B. Mullins
Location: Florida

"Excellent Ruud Heat pump"
We had our 3 ton Ruud heat pump installed in 1985 and it has been a great unit. It works hard, as our 1883 wood frame home is anything but airtight, and we live in Florida, but we haven't had to do anything in all of these years other than replace a capacitor. The case is getting rusty (due no doubt to soakings in salt water during hurricanes), so I think we'll be replacing it soon. I suppose I should be smart and replace it with another Ruud.

Date created: 2009-07-05 Name: Bryan D.
Location: Eastern Kentucky

"Ruud rips off disabled veteran on a fixed income."
I'm posting this for my father-in law who is a great guy, but not computer savvy. His 20 year old heat pump went out last year, and even though he is on a fixed income, he went into debt to get a new system. It runs constantly, and despite being 73* outside and overcast this weekend, it never got cool enough for the thermostat to kick off at 71*. It freezes up weekly. (Before anyone suggests it, the filter is new, the coils are clean and there are no blockages in the air ducts) Worst of all their electric bill has gone up $200 a month since the same time last year. The installer has been out nearly 20 times. They have swapped out the thermostat, and have alternately topped off the freon (or whatever the proper name for it is these days) and vented some freon to lower the pressure. Other than that, they claim that there is nothing wrong with the system. I am a service tech myself, albeit in a different industry. When a factory authorized rep can stand there looking at a unit that is frozen solid for the third time in as many days, and claim that it's all in the home owner's head, something is very wrong. The worst of it is, they will be paying for this piece of trash for 2 or three more years. Ruud, what happened to you? You used to make good products with good warranties. Stay away from Ruud at all costs, especially if you happen to live in eastern Kentucky.

Date created: 2008-12-01 Name: Joe Olmstead
Location: Southside, Montgomery Co., TN

"Light commercial RQPL 3 ton unit."
This unit replaced a 30 year old Rheem (the only reason I considered it). In less than one year I have had a line worn into by the indoor coil (manufacturing defect) warranty not honored, a major leak develop at a factory charge line again warranty not honored, and now I am icing up due to a faulty defrost board which the warranty will also probably not be honored on. So, I am out $800 for service calls and have an ice maker that I paid over $2000 for less than a year ago, and no heat.

Date created: 2008-06-12 Name: A Robinson
Location: Maryland

"Can't Complain"
The heat pump which came with my new townhouse was a Rudd. It served me well for 22 years! A few years ago it developed a little freon leak so, with freon getting more expensive and concern for energy savings, I replaced it today. I got a Trane and like it a lot but I'll be real surprised if it lasts as long as my Rudd did. Seems like everything you buy now is built to break.

Date created: 2008-05-03 Name: Mike Cruz
Location: Lilburn, GA

Breaks down every year and I had to replace the compressor and now the entire unit has to be replace and is only 5 yr old. Piece of junk never buy a Rudd

Date created: 2008-03-26 Name: s. james

Have a ruud 11 seer super achiever unit, no problem other than recharging unit this past year with ref.

Date created: 2008-03-24 Name: RJ Smith
Location: Edgewater, Maryland

I had a 13-seer Ruud heat pump system. It was the best system I have had. Over a 14 year period I had it peaked with refrigerant twice. That's it! This year (2008), to the month, the reversing valve went out & I decided to replace the entire unit due to the 14 year age & $1000.00 cost to replace the valve. I replaced it with an Amana 18 seer heat pump system. What a piece of junk!!!!! Previously had a carrier heat pump from 1977 to 1984...it was ok, took a lot of abuse. The dog kept pissing on it and the unit finally died. So did the dog, prematurely.

Date created: 2008-03-18 Name: C Smith
Location: Pasco, WA

Failed and had to be replaced after 13 years. Had several problems with inside and outside unit.

Date created: 2008-02-27 Name: K Oaks
Location: Coeur d'Alene, ID

An old Ruud 9 SEER was added onto an existing electric furnace and has only recently developed leaks in the outdoor coils. Prior to this the only thing that needed to be replaced was the fan on the compressor (original lasted about 12 years). It's now time to replace it and I'm having a difficult determining what to buy with all the negative reviews....