Consumer Reviews of RUUD heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2014?

Read more about RUUD heat pumps

Date created: 2010-10-07 Name: N. Neiman
Location: Tampa, Fl.

"14 year old heat pump vey little problems"
My Rudd has been running for 14 years and has had very few problems over the years. It had a time delay problem and needed gas added 1 time . I want to replace it and hope to get a scroll compressor with my new heat pump. Hope they are built as well as there old ones!

Date created: 2010-09-13 Name: C .Corn
Location: Des Moines, Ia

"I have two ruuds"
Ones a furnace with minimal problems. The other is a heat pump that has cost me almost $2000 in repairs and they now tell me to scrap it an buy something else....nice

Date created: 2010-06-28 Name: Mike G.

"Has Quality Really Gone Down ?"
Our current Ruud heat pump has served us well for over 20 years with minimal service. A contact switch and fan motor were the only repairs that I could begin to label as serious. Last winter, the defroster went out so we had to use the heat strips. Not the most economical but it kept us going. It is now time to replace it and as I research on what to replace it with I find the more I look, the more confused I get. I see numerous negative reviews here. However, even with them, Ruud still has a higher rating than Carrier & Trane. Satisfied customers are typically less likely to post a review than an unsatisfied one. If you have the best equipment installed by the worst installer, is it still the best? I like my Ruud.

Date created: 2010-06-28 Name: G. Banks

"Great Rudd unit"
I have a 26 year old Ruud 2 ton heat pump system that's still going strong! What a great unit! I'm thinking of updating to a new Trane or Carrier but not sure I'll ever get one as good as this ole Ruud.

Date created: 2010-06-17 Name: L. Palmer
Location: South Texas

"Don't buy a Ruud"
It seems to me from the reviews, that the older Ruud units functioned well. This is not the case for the new Ruud units. Run, don't walk - don't even entertain the thought about buying a Ruud!!! My parents are 81 and 86 years old and are suffering through south Texas heat because their a/c will not work. It has had problems from day 1. Their house is only 3 years old!! They have had it serviced over and over and over. As I write, the inside temp is 81 degrees and climbing. I cannot say it enough...DON'T Buy a Ruud.

Date created: 2010-06-14 Name: S. Babin

"Mrs"
Cruud - Oops, I meant Ruud heat pump 13 seer 5 ton. What a piece of junk!!!! My Ruud heat pump is 2 years old this month 6-2010 and already had to have the compressor replaced 3, yes 3 times. Not to mention the problems with the inside unit freezing up and defrosting filling the drip pan with water to the top rim. Installer had no idea of what the problem is and I have contacted the manufacturer only to be told to contact the Field service rep. I contacted the service rep for Ruud and still to no avail have gotten any help only excuses of what could be the problem and him wanting to send the installer out. At this point, the installer has no clue as to what the problem is. After approximately $6.605.00 dollars out of pocket, all I ended up with is a unit that produces more water than cold air considering buying a Ruud 13 seer 5 ton unit - Don't! It is truly a piece of junk!!!!!!

Date created: 2010-06-11 Name: Dave McWilliams

"Rudd Heat Pump"
I have a new home built in 2005 which has a Ruud heat pump. Because of the square footage of our home, we have two units. The bigger unit is supposed to cool and heat all the rooms in the house except for the bedrooms. The larger unit has not worked properly in the last five years. This unit has cost me $1800 in repairs and has not cooled the portion of the house for two years and has run on emergency heat the past two winters which resulted in higher utility costs. I have had just about every part in this unit replaced and now a switching valve and coil that controls or switches the unit from heat to air has to be replaced. The distributor says it's too far out of warranty (don't forget it's has not worked for two years when it was in warranty) and he would lose money on it. How about the money I have spent and lost? This latest repair is going to cost me $400+. Apparently, the customer doesn't count.

Date created: 2010-06-08 Name: M. Marti

"Home owner"
This 2.5ton unit was installed in 1985 by a local contractor, and the only problem that we had with it has been in my opinion due to poor installation, mainly electrical and drain system. Fortunately, I've been able to correct the problems myself. Now I've been told that the new units are so much more efficient that if I have a new one installed it will pay for itself, specially with the fpl rebates, factory incentives and tax breaks. After reading some reviews of newer units, I wonder?!

Date created: 2010-06-03 Name: Terry Gilbird

"Do not buy a rudd"
Bought a Ruud heat pump in 2005 had nothing but trouble since day one. Have spent nearly two thousand dollars to try and keep this still warranty piece of junk working! Do not buy a Ruud!

Date created: 2010-05-12 Name: C. Tyer

"Sure don't make 'em like they used to"
My house was built in 1995, and while I wanted Carrier heat pumps, I was told that ruud would be better and less expensive. In August 2005, the downstairs 3 ton unit went out. I spent $2000 to have a 12 seer 3 ton condenser and coil installed. Essentially the complete unit! Now, not even 5 years later, the same unit isn't working. I'm trusting that God has things under control and that this aggravation for me is just because He wants the problem to occur while still (barely) under warranty. We'll see. I don't anticipate ever buying another ruud, however if it needs replacing.