Consumer Reviews of RUUD heat pumps

Read more about RUUD heat pumps

Date created: 2011-01-13 Name: david ashby

"Power consuming non-heating heat pump"
On cold nights my RUUD heat pump cycles on at 72 degrees (thermostat setting),it then blows cold air for hours while it cools the entire house down to 70F, this is the setting that the auxiliary heat cycles on. The auxiliary heat heats the house to 72 degrees and then shuts off. The heat pump remains on at this temp (this is the temp that the unit cycled on at)and continues to run cooling the house once again in a never ending cycle until the outside air heats up to above enough that it can gain some heat from the outside air (mid-morning the next day)if it warms up enough outside, or it just continues to run. completely inefficient and power hungry. No way to contact RUUD on this.

Date created: 2010-12-29 Name: dave
Location: duck, nc

"Achiever Series"
The units don't cool well in our beach house in the summer. We just returned this Dec...both units were a block of ice...this has happened in the past, defrost boards replaced a month ago. The repair man is coming back tomorrow to check the unit that was defrosted (water over the unit from the hot water tank.) The other unit is still a block of ice.

Date created: 2010-12-19 Name: Buddy and Dianne Mann
Location: 132 CleggsFerryRdGreebvilleGa30222

"Bad Ruud unit"
We built a new home in 2008, we purchased a Ruud Heat Pump it was installed 11/2008 then 11/2010 the coil went out. We were told that an electrical wire touched the coil causing it to ark and burned a hole in the coil.What we are upset about is the cost to fix this. We do not agree that we should have had to pay for the refrigerant at a total of $240.00 the labor was also $240.00 plus tax of $16.00 total $496.00. That is a lot to pay after only 2 years. The labor we understood and we feel that the refrigerant should have been warranted in this case.Please advise us if these charges were resonable.

Date created: 2010-12-06 Name: C. McElveen

"Never a Ruud again"
I bought my home new in 12/08. Ruud heat pump already installed. In 09/09 lt leaked freon and was under warranty so repair was free. 11/10 the same thing has happened. Warranty on parts but not labor. Tech told me that pieces of metal have broken off from compressor and gotten into the rest of the system. Repair will be $1500 or more labor with no gaurantee that I want have additional problems the very next day. I am purchasing new unit after there is no contact info to Ruud. DO NOT BUY A RUUD

Date created: 2010-10-07 Name: N. Neiman
Location: Tampa, Fl.

"14 year old heat pump vey little problems"
My Rudd has been running for 14 years and has had very few problems over the years. It had a time delay problem and needed gas added 1 time . I want to replace it and hope to get a scroll compressor with my new heat pump. Hope they are built as well as there old ones!

Date created: 2010-09-13 Name: C .Corn
Location: Des Moines, Ia

"I have two ruuds"
Ones a furnace with minimal problems. The other is a heat pump that has cost me almost $2000 in repairs and they now tell me to scrap it an buy something else....nice

Date created: 2010-06-28 Name: Mike G.

"Has Quality Really Gone Down ?"
Our current Ruud heat pump has served us well for over 20 years with minimal service. A contact switch and fan motor were the only repairs that I could begin to label as serious. Last winter, the defroster went out so we had to use the heat strips. Not the most economical but it kept us going. It is now time to replace it and as I research on what to replace it with I find the more I look, the more confused I get. I see numerous negative reviews here. However, even with them, Ruud still has a higher rating than Carrier & Trane. Satisfied customers are typically less likely to post a review than an unsatisfied one. If you have the best equipment installed by the worst installer, is it still the best? I like my Ruud.

Date created: 2010-06-28 Name: G. Banks

"Great Rudd unit"
I have a 26 year old Ruud 2 ton heat pump system that's still going strong! What a great unit! I'm thinking of updating to a new Trane or Carrier but not sure I'll ever get one as good as this ole Ruud.

Date created: 2010-06-17 Name: L. Palmer
Location: South Texas

"Don't buy a Ruud"
It seems to me from the reviews, that the older Ruud units functioned well. This is not the case for the new Ruud units. Run, don't walk - don't even entertain the thought about buying a Ruud!!! My parents are 81 and 86 years old and are suffering through south Texas heat because their a/c will not work. It has had problems from day 1. Their house is only 3 years old!! They have had it serviced over and over and over. As I write, the inside temp is 81 degrees and climbing. I cannot say it enough...DON'T Buy a Ruud.

Date created: 2010-06-14 Name: S. Babin

"Mrs"
Cruud - Oops, I meant Ruud heat pump 13 seer 5 ton. What a piece of junk!!!! My Ruud heat pump is 2 years old this month 6-2010 and already had to have the compressor replaced 3, yes 3 times. Not to mention the problems with the inside unit freezing up and defrosting filling the drip pan with water to the top rim. Installer had no idea of what the problem is and I have contacted the manufacturer only to be told to contact the Field service rep. I contacted the service rep for Ruud and still to no avail have gotten any help only excuses of what could be the problem and him wanting to send the installer out. At this point, the installer has no clue as to what the problem is. After approximately $6.605.00 dollars out of pocket, all I ended up with is a unit that produces more water than cold air considering buying a Ruud 13 seer 5 ton unit - Don't! It is truly a piece of junk!!!!!!