Consumer Reviews of RUUD heat pumps

Read more about RUUD heat pumps

Date created: 2011-05-06 Name: R.B
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

"Nuts"
The people on here writing these reviews obviosly didnt get a good install, I have put in a few RUUD units in friends places, furnaces, and heat pumps alike, never had an issue....you get what you pay for and I'm refering to the install, not the equipment. Brand bashing is a total waste of time, 95% of the units out there share the same basic components. The compressors are ALL the same except for TRANE, they all come from COPELAND except the 1% that are BRISTOL. Sorry for your issues, but inproper install techniques are the BIGGEST killer of units out there. Compressors dont just fail in 2 years, its almost impossible. There is a 2% factory Dead on arrival and factory defective units out there. Compressors should last 10 years easy, but like I said, if your install methods suck, and you dont do a proper quality job (quality costs money) then expect ANY unit out there to function and FAIL the exact same way as this unit, be it a Carrier, TRANE, York, Amana or RUUD.

Date created: 2011-04-01 Name: Mike
Location: Quebec, Canada

"RUUD no more"
The heat pump came with the house when I bought it about 11 years ago. Three years ago my problems started with a fan motor replacement, then a freon leak and now the compresore and the fan motor again. time to get a new one. I have to say that compared to my neighbour's coleman mine was alot more quiet.

Date created: 2011-02-24 Name: MICHAEL BOOK

"NEVER WOULD HAVE ANOTHER"
I HAVE HAD 2 UNITS 7.5 YEARS. ONE UNIT WAS REPLACED WITHIN THE FIRST YEAR AND THE SECOND UNIT IS IN NEED OF BEING REPLACED NOW. THE REPAIR COST TO THIS POINT WOULD REPLACE ONE UNIT

Date created: 2011-02-23 Name: david ross
Location: bullhead city, AZ

"NOT A HAPPY CUSTOMER"
Nothing but issues harmonic sound very dunning daily cycling into "defrost mode" (frost in Arizona???) sounds like a truck in defrost mode unit leaked internaly into the air handler thermostat reqired replacing (related???) ruud just shined us on. said to call a different contractor. (they only have one authorized local contractor) local contractor seems to be between a rock and a hard place since im not happy and ruud doesnt seem to want to help this made in the USA unit is not a good product. i guess the imports know something that we dont care about any more.....QUALITY.....sad....

Date created: 2011-02-10 Name: T.Wiersma
Location: Glendale,AZ

"RUUD AWAKENING !"
I bought my Ruud Heat Pump just 4 years ago. Nothing but a headache since day installed. When first installed sounded like a Helicopter flying overhead, so loud my neighbors comlained. Really! Goettl came out and fixed it the first week it was installed. Goettl has been out at $79.00 trip charges each visit (Goettl is the one who installed it new) they call it an evaluation charge before the warranty coverage paying for the repairs. Not even 5 years old yet and this thing is being over hauled already piece by piece over 4 years. 8 repair trip visits in 4 years! It never did blow really cool air in the summer and in winter it runs all the time since the air it blows out will not even get to a 12 degree split. Goettl says this is normal? Unreal. By standards here in Arizona, if a unit does not provide at least a 18 degree split, the unit is considered not operating properly. Ruud also I found out has the worst warranty in the business on parts and labor. Should have done my research better, so that is my fault. I learned my lesson, just wanting to make sure the money I threw away does not happen to you.

Date created: 2011-01-13 Name: david ashby

"Power consuming non-heating heat pump"
On cold nights my RUUD heat pump cycles on at 72 degrees (thermostat setting),it then blows cold air for hours while it cools the entire house down to 70F, this is the setting that the auxiliary heat cycles on. The auxiliary heat heats the house to 72 degrees and then shuts off. The heat pump remains on at this temp (this is the temp that the unit cycled on at)and continues to run cooling the house once again in a never ending cycle until the outside air heats up to above enough that it can gain some heat from the outside air (mid-morning the next day)if it warms up enough outside, or it just continues to run. completely inefficient and power hungry. No way to contact RUUD on this.

Date created: 2010-12-29 Name: dave
Location: duck, nc

"Achiever Series"
The units don't cool well in our beach house in the summer. We just returned this Dec...both units were a block of ice...this has happened in the past, defrost boards replaced a month ago. The repair man is coming back tomorrow to check the unit that was defrosted (water over the unit from the hot water tank.) The other unit is still a block of ice.

Date created: 2010-12-19 Name: Buddy and Dianne Mann
Location: 132 CleggsFerryRdGreebvilleGa30222

"Bad Ruud unit"
We built a new home in 2008, we purchased a Ruud Heat Pump it was installed 11/2008 then 11/2010 the coil went out. We were told that an electrical wire touched the coil causing it to ark and burned a hole in the coil.What we are upset about is the cost to fix this. We do not agree that we should have had to pay for the refrigerant at a total of $240.00 the labor was also $240.00 plus tax of $16.00 total $496.00. That is a lot to pay after only 2 years. The labor we understood and we feel that the refrigerant should have been warranted in this case.Please advise us if these charges were resonable.

Date created: 2010-12-06 Name: C. McElveen

"Never a Ruud again"
I bought my home new in 12/08. Ruud heat pump already installed. In 09/09 lt leaked freon and was under warranty so repair was free. 11/10 the same thing has happened. Warranty on parts but not labor. Tech told me that pieces of metal have broken off from compressor and gotten into the rest of the system. Repair will be $1500 or more labor with no gaurantee that I want have additional problems the very next day. I am purchasing new unit after there is no contact info to Ruud. DO NOT BUY A RUUD

Date created: 2010-10-07 Name: N. Neiman
Location: Tampa, Fl.

"14 year old heat pump vey little problems"
My Rudd has been running for 14 years and has had very few problems over the years. It had a time delay problem and needed gas added 1 time . I want to replace it and hope to get a scroll compressor with my new heat pump. Hope they are built as well as there old ones!