Consumer Reviews of RUUD heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2017?

Read more about RUUD heat pumps

Date created: 2011-11-21 Location: Charleston SC

"Ruud Heat Pump Review"
This heat pump system was manufactured in February of 1998. It was the original system in my sister's house. I do hvac work, so when I upgraded them to a new unit, I kept this one and installed it in my house. I have had this unit since 2006. I like the fact that it has been reliable and only required one major repair and several minor ones. The major repair was replacing the coil in the air handler section, which is no reflection on the actual outside heat pump condenser unit. As I am in the hvac industry, I used to sell similar models of Ruud units, which I recommended. However, Ruud no longer makes this exact style of unit, and based on what I know of newer Ruud units, I would not recommend them nowadays.

Date created: 2011-09-19 Name: Ronnie L. Wheat
Location: TOMPKINSVILLE KY>

"I feel sorry for any one owning a reem or ruud heat pump"
Here it's fall, getting colder, I'm stuck with a ruud heat pump UPNK-024JAZ that's been worked on from day one. It has a sticking reversing valve. Been replaced three times this winter. When unit goes into defrost cycle, it won't change back to heat. Had to pull cover and tap with wooden object. Reem and Ruud will not do anything about it. Now for the bad part, I have a 10 year warranty. Installer quit in the fifth year or owner ship. Reem-Ruud is telling me the installer wasn't qualified to write that warranty. I guess I was supposed to know all this. Now for every one's information, I ordered a reem, got a ruud, same unit with a different name, reem owns ruud if I had got what I ordered (reem) I would have a 10 year warranty. But since I ended up with a ruud they only offer a 5 year warranty. Even though I have a 10 year in hand. reem-ruud refuses to help in any way. please tell all you know, if considering buying a heat pump, don't think about reem-ruud they don't give a damn about you after they have your money. You may be getting tired of reading all my gripes, but I want the whole world to know how this big company will do you, I e-mail the big boys at reem ever week with no answer and no satfiction. Wouldn't take another ruud heat pump if they give it to me. Never buy a reem or ruud. I wish this site had a category that is even worse than very unsatisfied I'm in that category.

Date created: 2011-09-03 Name: Ronnie L. Wheat
Location: tompkinsville ky.

"Ruud make this right"
You would think ruud would apparate what few costumers they have, but they don't. They will blame the installer for bad insulation, writing 10 year warranty with out approval. But when it's all said and done, the ruud heat pump, reem that owns ruud, is the sorriest, junkiest, piece of crap on the market. And the reem @ ruud name is being dragged through the mud. I have been in conflict with them for 6 months. All I hear is I'm sorry we will not help you. Telling me that I will have to sue the installer, which wrote me a 10 year warranty, which they say he didn't have the right to write the warranty. How in the hell was I supposed to know that. Installer quit after 5 yrs. Now I'm stuck with this piece of junk, needing 1800.00 in parts. 10 year warranty in hand, RUUD says I'm sorry, WELL THAT'S not good enough. REEM @ Ruud.

Date created: 2011-08-23 Name: b tatom
Location: lake city fl.

"The unit doesn't cycle correctly"
Less than 5 months we're already having issues. The unit doesn't cycle correctly 4,500.00 for a piece of junk! We'll make sure all of our neighbors and friends are aware of the non-quality of these systems.

Date created: 2011-06-22 Name: ronnie wheat

"Warranty"
I understand reem bought rudd,and there is no difference in the two units.why does reem have a 10 year warranty, and ruud only has a 5 year warranty. i ordered a reem, when installer brought out and opened box it was a ruud.i told the installer that was wrong.he advised they come down same line, every thing the same, and had same warranty. who am i to know the difference.i have a 10 year warranty in hand, a piece of junk setting out side.you go after the installer and make this right. i don't see this is my fight,i have a tottaly comanited system, that will never be right,had 5 years and 6 months.need 1800.00 in parts.a co. as big as reem should take care of some one that got scammed on unit and warranty.no i will not take installer to court and be out 3000.00. i demand reem to take care of this. not my fault, didn't get what i ordered,and was wrote a 10 year warranty, that is no good.got e-mail from reem dealer stating if it was a reem i would have a 10 year warranty.(now)how in the hell can this be my fault. and you tottaly refuse to do anything about it, would it do any good to say please.

Date created: 2011-06-21 Name: ronnie wheat

"Ruud will let any one install a central unit and write their own warranties"
Ruud, do you screen any dealers you sell units to,do they know that they cannot write a 10 wear warranty. i believe if i was a big orgi.like you are i would have a training session,and a rule book to go by.i,ve had my unit for 5 years and 6 months, and your telling me it's not worth the paper it,s written on. i have the warranty in hand 10 year on compressor 5 years on parts 1 year on labor. how can a co. do the little, dumb costumer that way and stay in buisness. wouldn't have another ruud, and telling the whole world not to buy. sick of the whole mess.

Date created: 2011-05-17 Name: B. Bloedel
Location: Purlear, NC

"Achiever 14? doesn't achieve!"
Thinking we were getting a very energy efficient heat pump when we built our new home in 2005, we were very disappointed. In June of 2007, it cost $550 to put in freon, because of a leak. It has been down hill ever since. The unit blows cold air while we sleep & our electric bill was sky high. Now they say we need a new one!?

Date created: 2011-05-06 Name: R.B
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

"Nuts"
The people on here writing these reviews obviosly didnt get a good install, I have put in a few RUUD units in friends places, furnaces, and heat pumps alike, never had an issue....you get what you pay for and I'm refering to the install, not the equipment. Brand bashing is a total waste of time, 95% of the units out there share the same basic components. The compressors are ALL the same except for TRANE, they all come from COPELAND except the 1% that are BRISTOL. Sorry for your issues, but inproper install techniques are the BIGGEST killer of units out there. Compressors dont just fail in 2 years, its almost impossible. There is a 2% factory Dead on arrival and factory defective units out there. Compressors should last 10 years easy, but like I said, if your install methods suck, and you dont do a proper quality job (quality costs money) then expect ANY unit out there to function and FAIL the exact same way as this unit, be it a Carrier, TRANE, York, Amana or RUUD.

Date created: 2011-04-01 Name: Mike
Location: Quebec, Canada

"RUUD no more"
The heat pump came with the house when I bought it about 11 years ago. Three years ago my problems started with a fan motor replacement, then a freon leak and now the compresore and the fan motor again. time to get a new one. I have to say that compared to my neighbour's coleman mine was alot more quiet.

Date created: 2011-02-24 Name: MICHAEL BOOK

"NEVER WOULD HAVE ANOTHER"
I HAVE HAD 2 UNITS 7.5 YEARS. ONE UNIT WAS REPLACED WITHIN THE FIRST YEAR AND THE SECOND UNIT IS IN NEED OF BEING REPLACED NOW. THE REPAIR COST TO THIS POINT WOULD REPLACE ONE UNIT