Consumer Reviews of RUUD heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2017?

Read more about RUUD heat pumps

Date created: 2015-11-20 Name: C. Kingery
Location: Sun City West, AZ

"Sorely disappointed"
Bought/installed the Ruud heat pump, 14 SEER, 4 ton, in July 2014. Shortly after, a rep from APS (our electric service) came to inspect in order for us to get our rebate. He took pictures and said the unit was not properly installed and the work was sloppy. We called the installer back (a company we had used for a few years) to do the job right. They did what they needed to do (should have been done right the first time) and we received our rebate. Five months later, we had a coil that leaked and a TXV valve replaced. Only five months old! Now (November 2015) we turned on the heat and it took four hours to move the thermostat 4 degrees. Called the installer again and again, the TXV valve needs replacing. But the manufacturer told the installer not to replace, rather put in an additive to lubricate the valve before they replace it. I'm not only done with the Ruud heat pump (runs very loud and has a cycling noise that drives me nuts), but I'm done with *** **** ********** as well. The serviceman told me I'd get service the next day but when the office called, they said their first opening is 6 days away. Get your stories straight. Now, less than 1 1/2 years later, I am interviewing and researching for a new system. Very important to have whatever unit you have installed properly. That is the key.

Date created: 2015-02-23 Name: Dub Paden
Location: Canyon Lake, TX

"5 bad coils in 7 years"
Very disappointed and angry with Ruud. This is my 5th coil to be replaced in 7 years. I think there is an engineering problem with these heat pumps and Ruud should give us all our money back or replace our entire units with new ones at no cost. Yeah, right! Never buy a Ruud. If a class action suit gets started, count me in.

Date created: 2015-02-10 Name: Ann mcgrath
Location: Williamsburg, VA

"Dissatisfied"
The unit is 5 years and 7 months old! Compressor is not functioning. I'm not a happy customer!

Date created: 2015-01-09 Name: Jan Couch
Location: Boerne, TX

"Did not last 3 years"
The coil on my unit is leaking badly just under 3 years after installation (cost of $8,980). There is no automatic shut off to stop the until from running if it is not heating. I kept reducing the temperature so that the unit would shut off; no dice, it just ran and ran. The coil is covered under warranty, but the labor is $1460 plus refrigerant. The repairman I spoke to said I am lucky it can be fixed at all and the general philosophy is HVAC products are made cheaply (even though they cost a lot) and they are meant to be replaced and not repaired. This is the same company who installed it and they would like to sell me another one, I am sure. I will never buy another Ruud (which I understand is made by Rheem) product again and I will tell everyone I know not to purchase a Ruud or Rheem. This is ridiculous.

Date created: 2014-12-17 Name: K Crews
Location: Manchester, GA

"Piece of crap"
We built our house in 2008. I really thought Ruud was a good name brand. Well, we have replaced the evaporator coil 3 times and it needs it again. That's 4 times in 6 years. Before it goes completely out we get this sour rag smell coming from the air vents every time the heat or air comes on. It is terrible, makes the whole house stink. I have never been so disappointed in a product in my life, and I have never written a bad review before. Please save yourself some money and do not buy a Ruud!

Date created: 2014-11-23 Name: Brandon keith
Location: Raleigh, NC

"Disappointed"
I purchased this unit a month after the manufacture date. I installed the unit right away and it worked great for 7 months. Then I found out the indoor coil was leaking Freon. Very disappointing. I understand not every unit is bad. I recommend Ruud to customers because they rarely have issues. Unfortunately, I will not be recommending any more. I feel Ruud needs to do better quality work when assembling at the factory.

Date created: 2013-12-02 Name: Mr.T
Location: Oregon

"10 Years and Happy With It"
It's 10 years old and running like new. I've actually checked the efficiency (cop) with instrumentation a few times and it's been close to specs. It's a split-level 3600 Sq Ft home, but it's only a 3.5 ton unit. The actual balance point (the lowest temp that the heat pump can maintain setpoint without aux heat) is 20 deg f -- which is pretty good. Our home is fairly energy efficient. However, there have been a couple of issues. Machines rarely go 10 years without any problems. At about the 3 year point, there was a refrigerant leak caused by vibration wear from a small copper line being assembled too close to some metal. It's likely a rare problem and thankfully, it was in a location that was easy to silver solder. There's also been a couple failed motor capacitors, but that's normal after several years and they're cheap to replace. Repairs were by me, but I'm not in the HVAC business. Needless to say, these are not the average DIY repairs. Changing filters is important for air flow and a clean heat exchanger. This system has the large 5" thick box filters with a differential gauge to indicate when it's getting clogged. Bottom line is that, despite the odd leak repair and a couple worn out capacitors, it's been a very efficient system for 10 years and counting.

Date created: 2013-11-09 Name: George Johnson
Location: Ca.

"Very Nice"
It has been working great for 9 years.

Date created: 2013-09-13 Name: T. East

"Never Worked"
I contacted Southern Comfort Heating & Air Co. for a unit as I was remodeling and it was required for the loan. This house never had central heat or air before. So therefore, I relied totally on this company to guide me, wrong wrong. This system has never cooled or kept the house warm from day one. I have had problems with it every time I've turned it on. Cannot get the company to come back and check it anymore. Just went out of warranty and was told today it was scrap, and it's only 5 years old. I thought I'd get around 20 years out of it. If Ruud is #1, I think I'll just go with the window units and stick with the wall mount heating. I had to put in to help the Ruud out. At least with window unit cooling, I'm not sweating while cleaning the house. It's terrible when your VAC puts out more heat than your heat pump.

Date created: 2013-09-02 Name: J.Washington
Location: MI.

"Nicely Done"
Not worried about this winter. It does the job. Cools great too! Stayed a summer in Arizona 3 years ago and our Ruud did the job there. Quiet. Our last one of another brand was too noisy and blew hot air for 20 feet. You could hear it inside the house.