Consumer Reviews of RUUD heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2017?

Read more about RUUD heat pumps

Date created: 2016-07-28 Name: R Matthews
Location: North Carolina

"Junk Ruud"
Have had a Ruud for 6 years, it has broken down every other year. Buy another brand.

Date created: 2016-06-21 Name: M B Burden
Location: Fulton County, KY

"Heat pump heating and cooling disaster"
Installed complete, new Ruud central unit including new duct work in February 2011 to the tune of several thousand dollars. Had nothing but service calls for warranty work with bills for labor. Plus the faulty unit creating extreme electric bills and still the inability to be warm or cool depending on the season. Finally it was declared a lemon and replaced in June 2014. Same story with the new unit. Have had two different experienced installers do work and they explain the same problems. I believe they know what they are doing but it seems I have another lemon. I am totally disgusted with this brand and will never buy it again! I have repeatedly called the service man. Obviously he is a busy man repairing Ruud units and I am not his only client. Have also called the wholesale distributor. My next call may well be to an attorney!

Date created: 2016-06-15 Name: Michael Styers
Location: Raleigh, NC

"Just for the record"
I'm a contractor with 30 years experience. All these complains with coils and compressors are killing me. I have to explain to 80% of customers that the problems come from the installer. Poor installation is the majority of compressor and coil failures. Wow, if you're going to get that guy that pulls up in a station wagon you get what you deserve. A lot of other problems I see are with new construction, the installers are untrained and are low-pay employees, most of them can't even speak English. Get a 2nd opinion after a failed system from omega a 5 stars company. I've had 1 out of a hundred coil and compressor failures. Why do the systems I install last? Next time hire someone else besides Joe Blow. I've had 2 Ruud heat pumps on my house for 14 years now with no problems. Why? Because a professional installed them and they are cleaned and checked ever year.

Date created: 2015-11-20 Name: C. Kingery
Location: Sun City West, AZ

"Sorely disappointed"
Bought/installed the Ruud heat pump, 14 SEER, 4 ton, in July 2014. Shortly after, a rep from APS (our electric service) came to inspect in order for us to get our rebate. He took pictures and said the unit was not properly installed and the work was sloppy. We called the installer back (a company we had used for a few years) to do the job right. They did what they needed to do (should have been done right the first time) and we received our rebate. Five months later, we had a coil that leaked and a TXV valve replaced. Only five months old! Now (November 2015) we turned on the heat and it took four hours to move the thermostat 4 degrees. Called the installer again and again, the TXV valve needs replacing. But the manufacturer told the installer not to replace, rather put in an additive to lubricate the valve before they replace it. I'm not only done with the Ruud heat pump (runs very loud and has a cycling noise that drives me nuts), but I'm done with *** **** ********** as well. The serviceman told me I'd get service the next day but when the office called, they said their first opening is 6 days away. Get your stories straight. Now, less than 1 1/2 years later, I am interviewing and researching for a new system. Very important to have whatever unit you have installed properly. That is the key.

Date created: 2015-02-23 Name: Dub Paden
Location: Canyon Lake, TX

"5 bad coils in 7 years"
Very disappointed and angry with Ruud. This is my 5th coil to be replaced in 7 years. I think there is an engineering problem with these heat pumps and Ruud should give us all our money back or replace our entire units with new ones at no cost. Yeah, right! Never buy a Ruud. If a class action suit gets started, count me in.

Date created: 2015-02-10 Name: Ann mcgrath
Location: Williamsburg, VA

"Dissatisfied"
The unit is 5 years and 7 months old! Compressor is not functioning. I'm not a happy customer!

Date created: 2015-01-09 Name: Jan Couch
Location: Boerne, TX

"Did not last 3 years"
The coil on my unit is leaking badly just under 3 years after installation (cost of $8,980). There is no automatic shut off to stop the until from running if it is not heating. I kept reducing the temperature so that the unit would shut off; no dice, it just ran and ran. The coil is covered under warranty, but the labor is $1460 plus refrigerant. The repairman I spoke to said I am lucky it can be fixed at all and the general philosophy is HVAC products are made cheaply (even though they cost a lot) and they are meant to be replaced and not repaired. This is the same company who installed it and they would like to sell me another one, I am sure. I will never buy another Ruud (which I understand is made by Rheem) product again and I will tell everyone I know not to purchase a Ruud or Rheem. This is ridiculous.

Date created: 2014-12-17 Name: K Crews
Location: Manchester, GA

"Piece of crap"
We built our house in 2008. I really thought Ruud was a good name brand. Well, we have replaced the evaporator coil 3 times and it needs it again. That's 4 times in 6 years. Before it goes completely out we get this sour rag smell coming from the air vents every time the heat or air comes on. It is terrible, makes the whole house stink. I have never been so disappointed in a product in my life, and I have never written a bad review before. Please save yourself some money and do not buy a Ruud!

Date created: 2014-11-23 Name: Brandon keith
Location: Raleigh, NC

"Disappointed"
I purchased this unit a month after the manufacture date. I installed the unit right away and it worked great for 7 months. Then I found out the indoor coil was leaking Freon. Very disappointing. I understand not every unit is bad. I recommend Ruud to customers because they rarely have issues. Unfortunately, I will not be recommending any more. I feel Ruud needs to do better quality work when assembling at the factory.

Date created: 2013-12-02 Name: Mr.T
Location: Oregon

"10 Years and Happy With It"
It's 10 years old and running like new. I've actually checked the efficiency (cop) with instrumentation a few times and it's been close to specs. It's a split-level 3600 Sq Ft home, but it's only a 3.5 ton unit. The actual balance point (the lowest temp that the heat pump can maintain setpoint without aux heat) is 20 deg f -- which is pretty good. Our home is fairly energy efficient. However, there have been a couple of issues. Machines rarely go 10 years without any problems. At about the 3 year point, there was a refrigerant leak caused by vibration wear from a small copper line being assembled too close to some metal. It's likely a rare problem and thankfully, it was in a location that was easy to silver solder. There's also been a couple failed motor capacitors, but that's normal after several years and they're cheap to replace. Repairs were by me, but I'm not in the HVAC business. Needless to say, these are not the average DIY repairs. Changing filters is important for air flow and a clean heat exchanger. This system has the large 5" thick box filters with a differential gauge to indicate when it's getting clogged. Bottom line is that, despite the odd leak repair and a couple worn out capacitors, it's been a very efficient system for 10 years and counting.