Consumer Reviews of RUUD heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2014?

Read more about RUUD heat pumps

Date created: 2015-04-16 Name: M. Schwalen
Location: Montgomery, AL

"New AC unit review"
Continuous problems due to the age of my Rheem system. The technician/salesman said, "Your old system is not energy efficient and will break down often in the future because any repairs will essentially be a patch. He sold me on the Ruud (15 SEER series). He indicated it was a great system and I could not go wrong with it. It will give many years of uneventful use. I was told it will save me money down the road because I will not have to pay for constant service calls. None of this was true! The second day after the new system was installed, the service calls began. The system is always having problems (daily). I will never buy Ruud or Rheem products again as long as I live.

Date created: 2015-02-23 Name: Dub Paden
Location: Canyon Lake, TX

"5 bad coils in 7 years"
Very disappointed and angry with Ruud. This is my 5th coil to be replaced in 7 years. I think there is an engineering problem with these heat pumps and Ruud should give us all our money back or replace our entire units with new ones at no cost. Yeah, right! Never buy a Ruud. If a class action suit gets started, count me in.

Date created: 2015-02-10 Name: Ann mcgrath
Location: Williamsburg, VA

"Dissatisfied"
The unit is 5 years and 7 months old! Compressor is not functioning. I'm not a happy customer!

Date created: 2015-02-09 Name: Jerrol Weidner
Location: United States

"Unsatisfied"
I purchased the unit 2 1/2 years ago. I have had the coil go out of service 2 times. Both times the part was under warranty but I had to pay for the labor and Freon. I would never buy another Ruud unit. The old unit I had lasted 15 years but it wasn't a Ruud.

Date created: 2015-01-09 Name: Jan Couch
Location: Boerne, TX

"Did not last 3 years"
The coil on my unit is leaking badly just under 3 years after installation (cost of $8,980). There is no automatic shut off to stop the until from running if it is not heating. I kept reducing the temperature so that the unit would shut off; no dice, it just ran and ran. The coil is covered under warranty, but the labor is $1460 plus refrigerant. The repairman I spoke to said I am lucky it can be fixed at all and the general philosophy is HVAC products are made cheaply (even though they cost a lot) and they are meant to be replaced and not repaired. This is the same company who installed it and they would like to sell me another one, I am sure. I will never buy another Ruud (which I understand is made by Rheem) product again and I will tell everyone I know not to purchase a Ruud or Rheem. This is ridiculous.

Date created: 2014-12-17 Name: K Crews
Location: Manchester, GA

"Piece of crap"
We built our house in 2008. I really thought Ruud was a good name brand. Well, we have replaced the evaporator coil 3 times and it needs it again. That's 4 times in 6 years. Before it goes completely out we get this sour rag smell coming from the air vents every time the heat or air comes on. It is terrible, makes the whole house stink. I have never been so disappointed in a product in my life, and I have never written a bad review before. Please save yourself some money and do not buy a Ruud!

Date created: 2014-11-23 Name: Brandon keith
Location: Raleigh, NC

"Disappointed"
I purchased this unit a month after the manufacture date. I installed the unit right away and it worked great for 7 months. Then I found out the indoor coil was leaking Freon. Very disappointing. I understand not every unit is bad. I recommend Ruud to customers because they rarely have issues. Unfortunately, I will not be recommending any more. I feel Ruud needs to do better quality work when assembling at the factory.

Date created: 2014-06-19 Name: Terry
Location: Georgia

"Total Junk"
Well, first it started knocking a big boom every time it would start up. (Under warranty) Then the reversing valve went bad ($600.00 plus) and now it's not cooling and is leaking refrigerant another ($400.00 plus) the unit is only 5 and a half years old. It's total junk !

Date created: 2014-01-30 Name: Jeff Branch
Location: Richmond, Va

"Ruud still makes them like they used to!"
I have sold and installed Ruud 1.5 ton systems up to 25 ton rooftops. Their durability is second to none. Do they go up to 21 Seer? No. Heat Pump is 17 and a/c is 19. Good enough for me, after 15 your treading water anyway. I've sold and installed Carrier, Bryant, Rheem, Ruud, Comfortmaker, Payne, Trane, Lennox, and York. Ruud is by far the top of the line. Durability is as good or better than anyone'S. They are quiet, very affordable compared to the other brands mentioned, and literally will last forever. I changed out 42 systems last year, one was a 30 year old Ruud, three were Goodman, one was a Bryant, the rest were Carrier. Carrier is just a name. If you want to know that when you get home from work you will have heat or a/c, go Ruud. You cannot go wrong. As with the others, it's like playing the lottery.

Date created: 2014-01-20 Name: John Winfield
Location: Richmond, Va

"Most reliable system I have ever owned"
I used to be in the HVAC field, and have had American Standard, Carrier, Payne, Ducayne, and York. The worst were the Carrier and the York, although it is a toss up. The most reliable system I have ever owned is the Ruud Value series, thats right, value series. I would put it up against any of the above any day. It is durable, quiet, and a workhorse. I have friends that had Carriers installed recently, and have had techs out to their house 3-5 times within 7 months! Junk. Buy Ruud, you can't go wrong