Consumer Reviews of RUUD heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2017?

Read more about RUUD heat pumps

Date created: 2017-06-07 Name: R. L. Hails Sr. P. E. (Ret.)
Location: Maryland

"Simple Design Errors"
I am a retired PE with 45 years of design experience. I have just replaced my Rudd heat Pump's main circuit board for the 4th time and refurbished the entire unit. It has bad design which is susceptible to mediocre installation which can tear itself apart. Examples: The compressor (outside) double unit has a central contactor, main power switch which needs a simple steel lid. Bugs crawl into the contactor, short the terminals, which can run the unit with the thermostat turned off. Without rejecting heat inside, the expensive compressor will tear itself apart. A sheet metal bug lid would prevent massive loss. The circuit board is located under water sources. Condensate drips can short out expensive components. Repeatedly. The RUUD equipment has a rectangular shaped gutter beneath the air handler coils to catch condensate (think an ice tea glass in a hot humid summer day). It has a low point drain but the installer carelessly installed the drain at the high point. The painted steel gutter rusted hundreds of holes above the blower motor and circuit board. I added a humidifier above the unit and learned the hard way that a cheap solenoid valve can leak and short major equipment. RUUD should put their power and controls away from dripping water, use gutters that do not rust out, and put drains on both sides. One will be low, the other needs a cap. Their circuit board puts a lot of components on a very expensive board. A cheap device which "wears out" should not cause a big repair bill. You do not rebuilt your house when a light bulb burns out. Their major components are well designed with good materials. The little construction details kill them.

Date created: 2017-05-30 Name: keith cienkowski
Location: Egg Harbor Township, NJ

"RUUD units are great"
To all unsatisfied people that wrote bad reviews it was a bad install job not the equipment you should have found a better contractor they should have checked their reference's Ruud are a great company!!!

Date created: 2017-03-13 Name: STEVE COBB
Location: Darlington, SC

"Model RQNM leaks freon"
When it works it's most efficient. At 6 months the expansion valve froze up & was changed. My electric bill was over $300 for my small house. Now the installer has been back several times to add Freon & for a month or two the bill drops 50% then it runs on & on when the Freon has leaked out. My installer says he can't find the leak & now refuses to come back at all & refuses to return my calls for the last year (just when the one year warranty runs out). It's two years old & the $4600 I paid was a waste. Avoid Rudd at all cost. Just my opinion.

Date created: 2017-03-06 Name: J GEARHART
Location: Camp Verde, AZ

"DEFROST BOARD STUCK AND KEPT RUNNING PANIC"
Only had unit 5 years already needs new board unit kept running if I would not have been outside and noticed the fan blades weren't moving it would have burned up. Had to call repairman and he diagnosed it as being stuck in the defrost mode. Scary to have a unit like this. Would never purchase another .

Date created: 2017-03-01 Name: M B Burden
Location: Fulton County, KY

"Heat Pump Heating and Cooling Disaster"
Installed complete new RUUD central unit including new duct work in February 2011 to the tune of several thousand dollars. Had nothing but service calls for warranty work with bills for labor. Plus the faulty unit creating extreme electricity bills and still the inability to be warm or cool depending on the season. Finally it was declared a lemon and replaced in June 2014. Same story with the new unit. Have had two different experienced installers do work and they explain the same problems. I believe they know what they are doing but seems I have another lemon. I am totally disgusted with this brand and will Never buy it again! I have repeatedly called the service man. Obviously he is a busy man repairing RUUD units and I am not his only client. Have also called the wholesale distributor. My next call may well be to an attorney!!

Date created: 2016-09-16 Name: Mike H.
Location: Oklahoma City, OK

"Great unit"
We have had 2 Rudd heat pumps. The first lasted 13 years and the one we have now is 21 1/2 years old. It just started giving us problems. I would not hesitate to buy another one. The last couple of years we had to have Freon added and that is it.

Date created: 2016-08-14 Name: Barney K Lundy
Location: York, SC

"Lemon"
After four years of regret about purchasing a Rudd from **** **** Heating and Air, I'm ready to snatch this crap out of my house and put something else in. No one from Rudd wants to help, let alone other Rudd dealers. I got the message, get the money and I don't never have to purchase another Rudd product from **** **** Heat and Air. I hope the best for them as they go through life screwing folks over.

Date created: 2016-07-28 Name: R Matthews
Location: North Carolina

"Junk Ruud"
Have had a Ruud for 6 years, it has broken down every other year. Buy another brand.

Date created: 2016-06-21 Name: M B Burden
Location: Fulton County, KY

"Heat pump heating and cooling disaster"
Installed complete, new Ruud central unit including new duct work in February 2011 to the tune of several thousand dollars. Had nothing but service calls for warranty work with bills for labor. Plus the faulty unit creating extreme electric bills and still the inability to be warm or cool depending on the season. Finally it was declared a lemon and replaced in June 2014. Same story with the new unit. Have had two different experienced installers do work and they explain the same problems. I believe they know what they are doing but it seems I have another lemon. I am totally disgusted with this brand and will never buy it again! I have repeatedly called the service man. Obviously he is a busy man repairing Ruud units and I am not his only client. Have also called the wholesale distributor. My next call may well be to an attorney!

Date created: 2016-06-15 Name: Michael Styers
Location: Raleigh, NC

"Just for the record"
I'm a contractor with 30 years experience. All these complains with coils and compressors are killing me. I have to explain to 80% of customers that the problems come from the installer. Poor installation is the majority of compressor and coil failures. Wow, if you're going to get that guy that pulls up in a station wagon you get what you deserve. A lot of other problems I see are with new construction, the installers are untrained and are low-pay employees, most of them can't even speak English. Get a 2nd opinion after a failed system from omega a 5 stars company. I've had 1 out of a hundred coil and compressor failures. Why do the systems I install last? Next time hire someone else besides Joe Blow. I've had 2 Ruud heat pumps on my house for 14 years now with no problems. Why? Because a professional installed them and they are cleaned and checked ever year.