Consumer Reviews of RUUD heat pumps

Read more about RUUD heat pumps

Date created: 2016-09-16 Name: Mike H.
Location: Oklahoma City, OK

"Great unit"
We have had 2 Rudd heat pumps. The first lasted 13 years and the one we have now is 21 1/2 years old. It just started giving us problems. I would not hesitate to buy another one. The last couple of years we had to have Freon added and that is it.

Date created: 2016-08-14 Name: Barney K Lundy
Location: York, SC

"Lemon"
After four years of regret about purchasing a Rudd from **** **** Heating and Air, I'm ready to snatch this crap out of my house and put something else in. No one from Rudd wants to help, let alone other Rudd dealers. I got the message, get the money and I don't never have to purchase another Rudd product from **** **** Heat and Air. I hope the best for them as they go through life screwing folks over.

Date created: 2016-07-28 Name: R Matthews
Location: North Carolina

"Junk Ruud"
Have had a Ruud for 6 years, it has broken down every other year. Buy another brand.

Date created: 2016-06-21 Name: M B Burden
Location: Fulton County, KY

"Heat pump heating and cooling disaster"
Installed complete, new Ruud central unit including new duct work in February 2011 to the tune of several thousand dollars. Had nothing but service calls for warranty work with bills for labor. Plus the faulty unit creating extreme electric bills and still the inability to be warm or cool depending on the season. Finally it was declared a lemon and replaced in June 2014. Same story with the new unit. Have had two different experienced installers do work and they explain the same problems. I believe they know what they are doing but it seems I have another lemon. I am totally disgusted with this brand and will never buy it again! I have repeatedly called the service man. Obviously he is a busy man repairing Ruud units and I am not his only client. Have also called the wholesale distributor. My next call may well be to an attorney!

Date created: 2016-06-15 Name: Michael Styers
Location: Raleigh, NC

"Just for the record"
I'm a contractor with 30 years experience. All these complains with coils and compressors are killing me. I have to explain to 80% of customers that the problems come from the installer. Poor installation is the majority of compressor and coil failures. Wow, if you're going to get that guy that pulls up in a station wagon you get what you deserve. A lot of other problems I see are with new construction, the installers are untrained and are low-pay employees, most of them can't even speak English. Get a 2nd opinion after a failed system from omega a 5 stars company. I've had 1 out of a hundred coil and compressor failures. Why do the systems I install last? Next time hire someone else besides Joe Blow. I've had 2 Ruud heat pumps on my house for 14 years now with no problems. Why? Because a professional installed them and they are cleaned and checked ever year.

Date created: 2015-11-20 Name: C. Kingery
Location: Sun City West, AZ

"Sorely disappointed"
Bought/installed the Ruud heat pump, 14 SEER, 4 ton, in July 2014. Shortly after, a rep from APS (our electric service) came to inspect in order for us to get our rebate. He took pictures and said the unit was not properly installed and the work was sloppy. We called the installer back (a company we had used for a few years) to do the job right. They did what they needed to do (should have been done right the first time) and we received our rebate. Five months later, we had a coil that leaked and a TXV valve replaced. Only five months old! Now (November 2015) we turned on the heat and it took four hours to move the thermostat 4 degrees. Called the installer again and again, the TXV valve needs replacing. But the manufacturer told the installer not to replace, rather put in an additive to lubricate the valve before they replace it. I'm not only done with the Ruud heat pump (runs very loud and has a cycling noise that drives me nuts), but I'm done with *** **** ********** as well. The serviceman told me I'd get service the next day but when the office called, they said their first opening is 6 days away. Get your stories straight. Now, less than 1 1/2 years later, I am interviewing and researching for a new system. Very important to have whatever unit you have installed properly. That is the key.

Date created: 2015-02-23 Name: Dub Paden
Location: Canyon Lake, TX

"5 bad coils in 7 years"
Very disappointed and angry with Ruud. This is my 5th coil to be replaced in 7 years. I think there is an engineering problem with these heat pumps and Ruud should give us all our money back or replace our entire units with new ones at no cost. Yeah, right! Never buy a Ruud. If a class action suit gets started, count me in.

Date created: 2015-02-10 Name: Ann mcgrath
Location: Williamsburg, VA

"Dissatisfied"
The unit is 5 years and 7 months old! Compressor is not functioning. I'm not a happy customer!

Date created: 2015-01-09 Name: Jan Couch
Location: Boerne, TX

"Did not last 3 years"
The coil on my unit is leaking badly just under 3 years after installation (cost of $8,980). There is no automatic shut off to stop the until from running if it is not heating. I kept reducing the temperature so that the unit would shut off; no dice, it just ran and ran. The coil is covered under warranty, but the labor is $1460 plus refrigerant. The repairman I spoke to said I am lucky it can be fixed at all and the general philosophy is HVAC products are made cheaply (even though they cost a lot) and they are meant to be replaced and not repaired. This is the same company who installed it and they would like to sell me another one, I am sure. I will never buy another Ruud (which I understand is made by Rheem) product again and I will tell everyone I know not to purchase a Ruud or Rheem. This is ridiculous.

Date created: 2014-12-17 Name: K Crews
Location: Manchester, GA

"Piece of crap"
We built our house in 2008. I really thought Ruud was a good name brand. Well, we have replaced the evaporator coil 3 times and it needs it again. That's 4 times in 6 years. Before it goes completely out we get this sour rag smell coming from the air vents every time the heat or air comes on. It is terrible, makes the whole house stink. I have never been so disappointed in a product in my life, and I have never written a bad review before. Please save yourself some money and do not buy a Ruud!