Consumer Reviews of Rheem heat pumps

Read more about Rheem heat pumps

Date created: 2009-11-14 Name: W. Wells

"Weatherking"
Less than one year and the compressor is not running, still waiting to hear from the contractor.

Date created: 2009-08-03 Name: TJ O'BRIEN

"DEFROST CONTROL BOARD"
The tech told me to replace defrost control board since the o/a fan was always running. board # 47 102684-83 replaced with no change. I suspect a foreign voltage getting into the board when the o/a main fuses are pulled. any answers? Where can I get a drawing of the unit?

Date created: 2009-07-21 Name: Tbone
Location: Las Vegas

"MY 4 YR OLD RHEEM HEAT PUMP HAS BEEN FABULOUS"
Wow! I have to say I am somewhat perplexed with the rheem negative reviews. I bought a brand new 3 ton heat pump unit (12 seer) for one of my rental properties. I've owned it for 5 yrs and have not had one problem. Not one service call! Unit blows ice cold in the 115 degree Las Vegas summers and keeps the house toasty warm in the winter. I was told and have read, that rheem and rudd are rated as requiring the least repairs by consumer reports. My unit was installed by a reputable, highly recommended authorized rheem dealer and contractor/installer. That same contractor is coming over to my primary residence to give me a rheem quote for one of my failing heat pump units that is over 2 yrs old. I'll stick with the rheem.

Date created: 2009-07-21 Name: J. E.

"Control Unit is the weak spot on my unit"
We have been experiencing "glitches" with out Rheem heat pump for years. Our problems have been with the control unit. Over the past 5 years, we have had technicians replace or rewire pieces of the control unit. Typical service call runs between 200 and 500 dollars.

Date created: 2009-05-11 Name: William Good

"Rheem or not to rheem"
Bought our condo new an our rheem has given very little trouble, compressor just gave out this weekend, so looking for another unit.hope I can find one as good as this one but every contractor tells me something different so im confused an going to have to go with my gut on chooseing a new one

Date created: 2009-03-12 Name: Tom Hurley
Location: Alden, IA

"Tom hurley"
Bought this unit in June 2008 and was told that it would run very economically! During Feburary 2009 the furnace was set at 56 degrees while no one was at home. when we returned we had the highest bill ever! The highest bill before was $333.33. this bill was $730.00. your dealer only said" try it a little longer" did not even check it! I checked with the power co. but no answers to why. I am very seriously thinking I will remove your one year old heat pump

Date created: 2009-03-09 Name: The Websters
Location: Walkertown, NC

"Rheem we will miss you!!"
Great unit!!! Served 22 years faithfully. For the first ten years we never even had to touch it! Always kept us warm in winter and cold in summer. We will miss our Rheem unit, our compresser went bad. No complaints at all!! We will miss its dependable service.

Date created: 2009-02-26 Name: R. Boney
Location: Ohio

"No complaints"
Installed this unit when we built the house. Have never had to have it worked on. After 19 years, the compressor finally gave out. Talked to several servicemen and they all said average life in this area for a heat pump is 10 years, so can't complain.

Date created: 2009-02-18 Name: J. Stalnaker
Location: Southwest Virginia

"Homeone"
Installed brand new Rheem heat pump in August 2007. December 2007 had to call rheem rep. Needed anti-freeze he said. Jan. 2008. Heat pump froze up. Too much anit-freeze. Nov. 2008. On emergency heat. Were informed by rep that Rheem knew it had this problem. Parts replaced. Good as new! Wrong. Today 18 Feb. called repairman. Informed us that Rheem knew these products were faulty and that he (rep) was waiting to hear from Rheem as regards to recalls. In the meantime, I'm boiling, and it's not from the heat Rheem produces.

Date created: 2009-02-17 Name: C Williams
Location: Asheboro, NC

"Loud Start Up"
I just had a Rheem Heat Pump installed. The install was a bit messy (my fault, trying to help a guy starting his own business)The unit seems to be working fine, but the start ups are the loudest I've heard. It takes between 10 and 30 seconds for the compressor to quiet down after start up. I had an experience tech take a look and he said Rheems were notorious for loud compressor starts. Not sure why, but it's very annoying. It looks like technology would be getting better to eliminate the obvious. My last unit was 20 years old and much more quiet.