Consumer Reviews of Rheem heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2014?

Read more about Rheem heat pumps

Date created: 2010-05-08 Name: P. Del Monte
Location: Central Florida

"Mr."
My Rheem is outstanding. It was still running.... but was stolen. This A/C system needed 1 dryer and 2 capacitors since it was installed. I live in central Florida so in its stay it had quite a work out. Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you for a long time.

Date created: 2010-03-27 Name: Artie

"DON'T BUY!!!!!!!!!!"
We had this unit put in by a contractor that gave me a great price on both the condensor and air handler. He changed the duct work around in my attic at my request and was very fast with the installation. The problems started almost immediately when something called a relief valve kept making a sound like a thumping in my wall. I called the contractor several times. He came out and looked at the unit several times unable to fix the problem. Finally, a small adjustment in freon level fixed the problem. 1 1/2 years later, the same noise started up again. He now charges for his service calls because it is not covered under warranty which adds up to a lot of money. My unit almost runs continuously now and my electric bill has been over $500 a month for the past two months! I will call the contractor again and expect the same bs line he always gives me while "fixing" my unit. I will never buy another Rheem product again and anyone reading this please tell your friends and neighbors that Rheem is a piece of ****. Do not waste your money on the metal pile of crap.

Date created: 2010-03-17 Name: Joe C. Liu

"Rheem SUCKS!"
I contacted Rheem's customer service and they are not willing to help at all with my problem. One of their distributors, Gensco, sold a Rheem system to a contractor, Haas Heating, who then installed the unit in my home. This is a contractor who was supposed to go through a class in order to install a Rheem mod 90 plus a heat pump. This unit was installed in May, 2009. To this date, I am still not able to get my system operating properly and the contractor has dropped off the face of the earth. I have called him numerous times and also have called Gensco and asked them to help me over four months ago and no one is willing to help. When I hired Haas Heating to install this Mod90 and heat pump in my house, he told me he was certified by Rheem and can install this system. It has never worked properly since he installed it. He then asked one of Rheem's sales rep to come and take a look. They got the unit working and hurried out of my house. The heat pump worked for 3 minutes then shut down again! I am very surprised that a company like Rheem would authorize/allow someone this inexperienced who cannot and does not know how to set up a system to have any contact with consumers! I have already paid over $12,000 to have this Rheem system installed and basically have a metal heap outside my house that does not do what it is suppose to do and Rheem just hides behind their big name. Completely unwilling to help their customer!!!!! DON'T BUY THIS PRODUCT!

Date created: 2010-02-22 Name: Roger Longworth

"Piece of crap"
We had our house built 11 years ago and this has been our worst nightmare. I would not take another Rheem if they offered it for free. We have had freon added every year and countless number of parts replaced.

Date created: 2010-02-12 Name: Pamela Woods

"Lot32AEtownKY"
I have had an affordable heat & cooling contractor out to fix this 3 and one half year old heat pump twice and now I'm waiting on them to come back for the same problem. The outside unit runs off and on for the past several weeks. I have had to pay the contractor both times he came out without fixing the problem. This is supposed to still be under warranty but for whatever reason, the contractor refuses to order and replace my defective heat pump. There is no way a heat pump of this age should be giving its owners this type of problems. Thumbs down for the product and especially the contractor peddling and installing the product.

Date created: 2010-02-05 Name: S. Bush

"Rheem/Weatherking is Crap!"
I have lived in this house for less than three years. The house itself is less than five years old. The heat/air have never worked properly. I have had a total of seven service calls and they have all told me something different is wrong with it, but they all agree that Weatherking is crap! All I know it that it doesn't work but my electric bill is still $250 every month. I have contacted Rheem via email because there is no phone number for them listed anywhere that I have been able to find twice but I think they are BSing around until the warranty finally expires so they won't have to do anything about it. I am at my wits end!

Date created: 2010-01-31 Name: W. McKee
Location: Texas Hill

"Good A/C - Poor Heat Pump"
1st summer, compressor died. Once replaced (great 10 year warranty), it cooled great in sweltering high humidity Texas Hill Country heat. Bad news come winter, when temp goes below 42 degrees it won't heat unless you turn on strips! Those strips cost $25 to $40 per hour to run (220 volts at 60amps). Uses area 110v oil heaters to supplement (2) and get daily cost dow to $9-10. Thank goodness for pec which provides ability to monitor use on 24 hour basis.

Date created: 2010-01-31 Name: Taylors HVACR

"Owner"
I'm a HVACR contractor. Most of the complaints I've read here have to do with poor install/design. I do a manual j calculation on all new/replacement jobs. I have found many over sized units as well as very bad duct design. I have down sized replacement equip. and customers were extremely satisfied. Condo/trac home construction has a high infiltration/poor duct work that are responsible for most equip. complaints. I have installed Rheem products for 15+ years. I have had very little problems in all those years. They are of very good quality.

Date created: 2010-01-02 Name: J. Zima

"Jena1234"
Tooo noisy! Terrible response to even look at the problem. Asked to have the quietest heat pump installed, as it is next my bedroom. Now they, the installer and rep, can't understand why I'm not satisfied. Sounds like a lawnmower, defrosts like an airplane landing and stops running like the trash compactor. Since I no longer sleep, its affecting my health.

Date created: 2009-12-12 Name: Debbie Armstrong

"Very unsatisfied"
I got talked into putting a heat pump in my shop. Since then, my bills have gone up an extra $300 every 3 months and had to replace the wiring on the unit. I'm going to replace it with gas instance hot water.