Consumer Reviews of Rheem heat pumps

Read more about Rheem heat pumps

Date created: 2010-02-22 Name: Roger Longworth

"Piece of crap"
We had our house built 11 years ago and this has been our worst nightmare. I would not take another Rheem if they offered it for free. We have had freon added every year and countless number of parts replaced.

Date created: 2010-02-12 Name: Pamela Woods

"Lot32AEtownKY"
I have had an affordable heat & cooling contractor out to fix this 3 and one half year old heat pump twice and now I'm waiting on them to come back for the same problem. The outside unit runs off and on for the past several weeks. I have had to pay the contractor both times he came out without fixing the problem. This is supposed to still be under warranty but for whatever reason, the contractor refuses to order and replace my defective heat pump. There is no way a heat pump of this age should be giving its owners this type of problems. Thumbs down for the product and especially the contractor peddling and installing the product.

Date created: 2010-02-05 Name: S. Bush

"Rheem/Weatherking is Crap!"
I have lived in this house for less than three years. The house itself is less than five years old. The heat/air have never worked properly. I have had a total of seven service calls and they have all told me something different is wrong with it, but they all agree that Weatherking is crap! All I know it that it doesn't work but my electric bill is still $250 every month. I have contacted Rheem via email because there is no phone number for them listed anywhere that I have been able to find twice but I think they are BSing around until the warranty finally expires so they won't have to do anything about it. I am at my wits end!

Date created: 2010-01-31 Name: W. McKee
Location: Texas Hill

"Good A/C - Poor Heat Pump"
1st summer, compressor died. Once replaced (great 10 year warranty), it cooled great in sweltering high humidity Texas Hill Country heat. Bad news come winter, when temp goes below 42 degrees it won't heat unless you turn on strips! Those strips cost $25 to $40 per hour to run (220 volts at 60amps). Uses area 110v oil heaters to supplement (2) and get daily cost dow to $9-10. Thank goodness for pec which provides ability to monitor use on 24 hour basis.

Date created: 2010-01-31 Name: Taylors HVACR

"Owner"
I'm a HVACR contractor. Most of the complaints I've read here have to do with poor install/design. I do a manual j calculation on all new/replacement jobs. I have found many over sized units as well as very bad duct design. I have down sized replacement equip. and customers were extremely satisfied. Condo/trac home construction has a high infiltration/poor duct work that are responsible for most equip. complaints. I have installed Rheem products for 15+ years. I have had very little problems in all those years. They are of very good quality.

Date created: 2010-01-02 Name: J. Zima

"Jena1234"
Tooo noisy! Terrible response to even look at the problem. Asked to have the quietest heat pump installed, as it is next my bedroom. Now they, the installer and rep, can't understand why I'm not satisfied. Sounds like a lawnmower, defrosts like an airplane landing and stops running like the trash compactor. Since I no longer sleep, its affecting my health.

Date created: 2009-12-12 Name: Debbie Armstrong

"Very unsatisfied"
I got talked into putting a heat pump in my shop. Since then, my bills have gone up an extra $300 every 3 months and had to replace the wiring on the unit. I'm going to replace it with gas instance hot water.

Date created: 2009-11-14 Name: W. Wells

"Weatherking"
Less than one year and the compressor is not running, still waiting to hear from the contractor.

Date created: 2009-08-03 Name: TJ O'BRIEN

"DEFROST CONTROL BOARD"
The tech told me to replace defrost control board since the o/a fan was always running. board # 47 102684-83 replaced with no change. I suspect a foreign voltage getting into the board when the o/a main fuses are pulled. any answers? Where can I get a drawing of the unit?

Date created: 2009-07-21 Name: Tbone
Location: Las Vegas

"MY 4 YR OLD RHEEM HEAT PUMP HAS BEEN FABULOUS"
Wow! I have to say I am somewhat perplexed with the rheem negative reviews. I bought a brand new 3 ton heat pump unit (12 seer) for one of my rental properties. I've owned it for 5 yrs and have not had one problem. Not one service call! Unit blows ice cold in the 115 degree Las Vegas summers and keeps the house toasty warm in the winter. I was told and have read, that rheem and rudd are rated as requiring the least repairs by consumer reports. My unit was installed by a reputable, highly recommended authorized rheem dealer and contractor/installer. That same contractor is coming over to my primary residence to give me a rheem quote for one of my failing heat pump units that is over 2 yrs old. I'll stick with the rheem.