Consumer Reviews of Rheem heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2018?

Read more about Rheem heat pumps

Date created: 2010-10-08 Name: John Sheppard
Location: Dallas, TX

"Noise and replace A-Coils"
I have two Rheem heat pumps. The A-coil on one was replaced very soon after the original installation because of excessive "hammering" noise when it shutoff. The A-Coil was replaced again a few years later because of a leak. Now, this system is making a gurgling, running water kind of noise that two different techs say is caused by the A-coil. The 2d unit in my house has worked fine except it also had a leaking A-coil that had to be replaced. Also, the water coming out the drain is always rusty which indicates there is some rusting of the drip pan which should not be happening.

Date created: 2010-08-30 Name: SHARRIE ROST
Location: AR

"MRS fROST"
I WILL NEVR OWN ANOTHER RHEEM NOTHING BT A MONEY PIT.

Date created: 2010-07-19 Name: Pam

"Bad decision"
I am completely unhappy with my heat pump in every aspect. I have terrible hot spots in my home during the summer and the temperature in the house is normally 8-11 degrees higher than what I have the thermostat on in the afternoons. It's so hot in here between 2 and 6 in the afternoon, it almost makes me feel sick. I have double paned windows and good insulation so I don't understand what the problem is. Also since the unit was installed, I often have a bad odor inside the house when the unit is running. In the winter, it blows cool air. After the unit has reached the temperature, the thermostat is set on because the fan continues to blow. I truly feel this was the worst decision I have made.

Date created: 2010-06-27 Name: Tim B.

"Nothing but Rheem, however......."
Typically, you don't replace your heater/ac unit that often. Mine went in the blizzard of 2003. I plodded through to Spring (early arrival that year!) with electric back-up and a set down thermostat. During that time, I heavily researched heat pump mfg's but more importantly I researched local installers. I agree with one other comment here that the installation is critical. Anyway, for me, Rheem is the only way to go. I clean the indoor/outdoor coils myself and clean the filter monthly (or more; 2 cats). This year (2010), we had 3 major snowfalls and my electric bill was within $1 of the same month a year ago. That's a lot of defrosting and of course, brooming away the snow as much as possible. Rheem, baby, Rheem!!!

Date created: 2010-06-17 Name: Harrisburg

"Rheem is great"
I purchased a home with a Rheem 12 seer heat pump. This unit has operated flawlessly for this time period. The utility bills are very reasonable even after our 30% in utility costs. I would install this product again without a doubt.

Date created: 2010-06-09 Name: J. Simpson

"Rheem 4 ton, 10 seer, 17 years old"
17 years old and had our first problem with it. Never had it serviced, just kept coils clean ourselves. Great product.

Date created: 2010-05-24 Name: Debbie

"Two Rheem heat pump systems."
We had two Rheem heat pumps installed when our home was built 12 years ago. We had never experience any problems with them until this spring 2010. The unit for the upstairs will not cool. When it runs, it makes a very odd noise. We called the company that installed the units. First, it took two weeks for them to return call and they were supposed to have been here last week, so far no show. I think the problem with heat pumps is not the equipment, but instead the contractors that do the installation.

Date created: 2010-05-23 Name: Richard Lormand

"Never again"
We built a new house 6 years ago and starting the second year we have had leaks. I will never own another Rheem system because we have had nothing but one leak after another! We have spent soooooo much money already, and now we have another leak that will cost over $400.00 to fix! Whoever the company uses to make these units should be fired!!! They are worthless.

Date created: 2010-05-08 Name: P. Del Monte
Location: Central Florida

"Mr."
My Rheem is outstanding. It was still running.... but was stolen. This A/C system needed 1 dryer and 2 capacitors since it was installed. I live in central Florida so in its stay it had quite a work out. Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you for a long time.

Date created: 2010-03-27 Name: Artie

"DON'T BUY!!!!!!!!!!"
We had this unit put in by a contractor that gave me a great price on both the condensor and air handler. He changed the duct work around in my attic at my request and was very fast with the installation. The problems started almost immediately when something called a relief valve kept making a sound like a thumping in my wall. I called the contractor several times. He came out and looked at the unit several times unable to fix the problem. Finally, a small adjustment in freon level fixed the problem. 1 1/2 years later, the same noise started up again. He now charges for his service calls because it is not covered under warranty which adds up to a lot of money. My unit almost runs continuously now and my electric bill has been over $500 a month for the past two months! I will call the contractor again and expect the same bs line he always gives me while "fixing" my unit. I will never buy another Rheem product again and anyone reading this please tell your friends and neighbors that Rheem is a piece of ****. Do not waste your money on the metal pile of crap.