Consumer Reviews of Rheem heat pumps

Read more about Rheem heat pumps

Date created: 2010-11-19 Name: Johnny Wonny
Location: LV, NV

"Beat it"
My two year old Rheem heat pump started having problem. I called two technicians and one paid advice. One tech said bad air compressor and txv and the other said txv. Paid internet advice indicated reversing valve. While I'm waiting the warranty parts I studied heat pump mechanism on internet and fought for 5 days testing and checking. Finally it dawned on me that it quit running with icing on capillary tube attached to txv. The returning liquid should vaporize at the coil not capillary tube. There must be restrction at the txv. So I beat the txv with hammer heck out of it. Wow, now it runs like a champion. You go any web site, you will hear theory of heat pump like rocket science from all the experts. It seems they want to show off their knowledge than get to the point. AC and heat pump is high school level thermo-dynamics. Don't need to be a engineer. All you need is common sense and a hammer which solves any kind of problem including whinning spouse and barking dogs. Rheem's heat pump are not rated positively. They must manufacture the parts in factory in China.

Date created: 2010-11-07 Name: Denise
Location: Lancaster

"Classic outdoor unit"
WE had a new Rheem heatpump installed about 5 years ago. We have had to have something replaced or serviced every year since. I agree it may be the service technicians having NO clue as to how to service these units. We would not recommend nor will we purchase another Rheem in the future.

Date created: 2010-10-08 Name: John Sheppard
Location: Dallas, TX

"Noise and replace A-Coils"
I have two Rheem heat pumps. The A-coil on one was replaced very soon after the original installation because of excessive "hammering" noise when it shutoff. The A-Coil was replaced again a few years later because of a leak. Now, this system is making a gurgling, running water kind of noise that two different techs say is caused by the A-coil. The 2d unit in my house has worked fine except it also had a leaking A-coil that had to be replaced. Also, the water coming out the drain is always rusty which indicates there is some rusting of the drip pan which should not be happening.

Date created: 2010-08-30 Name: SHARRIE ROST
Location: AR

"MRS fROST"
I WILL NEVR OWN ANOTHER RHEEM NOTHING BT A MONEY PIT.

Date created: 2010-07-19 Name: Pam

"Bad decision"
I am completely unhappy with my heat pump in every aspect. I have terrible hot spots in my home during the summer and the temperature in the house is normally 8-11 degrees higher than what I have the thermostat on in the afternoons. It's so hot in here between 2 and 6 in the afternoon, it almost makes me feel sick. I have double paned windows and good insulation so I don't understand what the problem is. Also since the unit was installed, I often have a bad odor inside the house when the unit is running. In the winter, it blows cool air. After the unit has reached the temperature, the thermostat is set on because the fan continues to blow. I truly feel this was the worst decision I have made.

Date created: 2010-06-27 Name: Tim B.

"Nothing but Rheem, however......."
Typically, you don't replace your heater/ac unit that often. Mine went in the blizzard of 2003. I plodded through to Spring (early arrival that year!) with electric back-up and a set down thermostat. During that time, I heavily researched heat pump mfg's but more importantly I researched local installers. I agree with one other comment here that the installation is critical. Anyway, for me, Rheem is the only way to go. I clean the indoor/outdoor coils myself and clean the filter monthly (or more; 2 cats). This year (2010), we had 3 major snowfalls and my electric bill was within $1 of the same month a year ago. That's a lot of defrosting and of course, brooming away the snow as much as possible. Rheem, baby, Rheem!!!

Date created: 2010-06-17 Name: Harrisburg

"Rheem is great"
I purchased a home with a Rheem 12 seer heat pump. This unit has operated flawlessly for this time period. The utility bills are very reasonable even after our 30% in utility costs. I would install this product again without a doubt.

Date created: 2010-06-09 Name: J. Simpson

"Rheem 4 ton, 10 seer, 17 years old"
17 years old and had our first problem with it. Never had it serviced, just kept coils clean ourselves. Great product.

Date created: 2010-05-24 Name: Debbie

"Two Rheem heat pump systems."
We had two Rheem heat pumps installed when our home was built 12 years ago. We had never experience any problems with them until this spring 2010. The unit for the upstairs will not cool. When it runs, it makes a very odd noise. We called the company that installed the units. First, it took two weeks for them to return call and they were supposed to have been here last week, so far no show. I think the problem with heat pumps is not the equipment, but instead the contractors that do the installation.

Date created: 2010-05-23 Name: Richard Lormand

"Never again"
We built a new house 6 years ago and starting the second year we have had leaks. I will never own another Rheem system because we have had nothing but one leak after another! We have spent soooooo much money already, and now we have another leak that will cost over $400.00 to fix! Whoever the company uses to make these units should be fired!!! They are worthless.