Consumer Reviews of Rheem heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2017?

Read more about Rheem heat pumps

Date created: 2011-02-11 Name: R. Bye
Location: Harvest, Al

"Warmer off, cold and expensive on"
We have had our heat pump for about 6 years. One problem after another. This Winter was the worse with a 660 bill while the house was cold (2250 SQFT. Connected my propane logs and found the heat pump still ran and the house would not get over .5 below the temp set and therefore it would continually run. I turned the heat pump off and the house warmed up. No matter what the heat pump was set on it prevents the house from getting to that temp unless I turn it off. Wish I had figured it out sooner, I could have saved a lot of money.

Date created: 2011-01-31 Name: B. Miller
Location: Colorado City Tx.

"Wouldn't trade it"
I closly read the "very unsat" reviews and have sumized that 90% have to be boggus. Interesting that there are no middle-of-the-road. My Rheem has been totally problem free keeping me most comfortable year round even on 14 degree nights. My power bill was cut to one third when installed with no signifacant change year round. I recently have been very impressed with their superb support teams quick responce and patients answering my questions. In the reviews there were two contractors who highly rated Rheem and I completely agree with them. You can find many other experts who have a high regard for Rheem. I highly recomend Rheem but I also highly reconend choosing a dealer from their site.

Date created: 2011-01-21 Name: JIM
Location: ROGERSVILLE, AL

"BAD ODOR AND COOL AIR IN WINTER"
WE JUST HAD A NEW RHEEM 3 1/2 TON HEAT PUMP AND ALL NEW DUCT WORK INSTALLED THIS PAST SPRING. THE UNIT OPERATED FINE DURING THE SPRING AND SUMMER MONTHS, HOWEVER WHEN WE TURNED IT OVER TO THE HEAT SIDE IT HAS OPERATED VERY UNSATISFACTORY. THE UNIT BLOWS COOL AIR ALL THE TIME WHEN IT IS RUNNING AND THAT IS MOST OF THE TIME WITH THE TEMPERATURE SET A 70 DEGREES. WHEN WE FIRST TURNED THE UNIT TO HEAT IT SMELLED LIKE OUR OLD UNIT DID LIKE BURNING DUST OFF BUT IT HAS NOT QUIT SMELLING THIS WAY ESPECIALLY WHEN IT GOES INTO THE DEFROSIT CYCLE. IT GIVES US A HEADACHE.

Date created: 2010-12-27 Name: J. DeMay

"Ultra dissatified"
I moved into my home in Florida in 2007. New home with new Rheem Heat Pump. This unit has never operated properly in the Heating mode. It intermitently, but often, blows cold air and sometimes will not go off for hours, cycling between heat mode and defrost, but never stopping. This is Florida and we're only asking it to maintain 72 degrees. It sometimes blows very hot air, at other times only luke warm. I have had numerous technicians here to fix it and they are unable to find a problem. From my personal experience, and from the extremely poor comments I see listed here and elsewhere, Rheem is a very poor quality company.

Date created: 2010-12-21 Name: Michael
Location: Eastern TN

"Buy a Wood Stove first"
We replaced an old gas furnace / AC unit with a Rheem heat pump. We had all duct work replaced due to the age of the house and leaks. New wiring, new ducts, new heat pump. When the outside temperature drops below 20 degrees, as it does in the wintertime the heat pump blows cold air. Even on Emergency heat, the heat pump will not keep our house above 60 degrees. The unit was right sized, and has been checked for proper installation and function. Buy a wood stove, or get gas heat.

Date created: 2010-12-08 Name: ADDIE TAYLOR
Location: 4200 TANGERINE AVE SANFORD FL

"UNSATISFIED"
I HAVE HAD MY HEAT PUMP FOR 6 YEARS NOW AND I HAVE HAD NOTHING BUT TROUBLE WITHIT SENCE I GOT IT I WLL NOT RECOMEND IT TO ANY ONE I JUST HAD THE SERVICE MAN OUT AGAIN TODAY AND HE SAID IT WOULD COST OVER 900 TO FIX IT.

Date created: 2010-12-07 Name: L. Gray
Location: Manassas, VA

"Just won't die"
My Rheem 10 seer heat pump is 16 years old and still running strong despite the bent coils in the air handling unit. I have been more than satisified with my Rheem unit.

Date created: 2010-11-19 Name: Johnny Wonny
Location: LV, NV

"Beat it"
My two year old Rheem heat pump started having problem. I called two technicians and one paid advice. One tech said bad air compressor and txv and the other said txv. Paid internet advice indicated reversing valve. While I'm waiting the warranty parts I studied heat pump mechanism on internet and fought for 5 days testing and checking. Finally it dawned on me that it quit running with icing on capillary tube attached to txv. The returning liquid should vaporize at the coil not capillary tube. There must be restrction at the txv. So I beat the txv with hammer heck out of it. Wow, now it runs like a champion. You go any web site, you will hear theory of heat pump like rocket science from all the experts. It seems they want to show off their knowledge than get to the point. AC and heat pump is high school level thermo-dynamics. Don't need to be a engineer. All you need is common sense and a hammer which solves any kind of problem including whinning spouse and barking dogs. Rheem's heat pump are not rated positively. They must manufacture the parts in factory in China.

Date created: 2010-11-07 Name: Denise
Location: Lancaster

"Classic outdoor unit"
WE had a new Rheem heatpump installed about 5 years ago. We have had to have something replaced or serviced every year since. I agree it may be the service technicians having NO clue as to how to service these units. We would not recommend nor will we purchase another Rheem in the future.

Date created: 2010-10-08 Name: John Sheppard
Location: Dallas, TX

"Noise and replace A-Coils"
I have two Rheem heat pumps. The A-coil on one was replaced very soon after the original installation because of excessive "hammering" noise when it shutoff. The A-Coil was replaced again a few years later because of a leak. Now, this system is making a gurgling, running water kind of noise that two different techs say is caused by the A-coil. The 2d unit in my house has worked fine except it also had a leaking A-coil that had to be replaced. Also, the water coming out the drain is always rusty which indicates there is some rusting of the drip pan which should not be happening.