Consumer Reviews of Rheem heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2014?

Read more about Rheem heat pumps

Date created: 2010-12-27 Name: J. DeMay

"Ultra dissatified"
I moved into my home in Florida in 2007. New home with new Rheem Heat Pump. This unit has never operated properly in the Heating mode. It intermitently, but often, blows cold air and sometimes will not go off for hours, cycling between heat mode and defrost, but never stopping. This is Florida and we're only asking it to maintain 72 degrees. It sometimes blows very hot air, at other times only luke warm. I have had numerous technicians here to fix it and they are unable to find a problem. From my personal experience, and from the extremely poor comments I see listed here and elsewhere, Rheem is a very poor quality company.

Date created: 2010-12-21 Name: Michael
Location: Eastern TN

"Buy a Wood Stove first"
We replaced an old gas furnace / AC unit with a Rheem heat pump. We had all duct work replaced due to the age of the house and leaks. New wiring, new ducts, new heat pump. When the outside temperature drops below 20 degrees, as it does in the wintertime the heat pump blows cold air. Even on Emergency heat, the heat pump will not keep our house above 60 degrees. The unit was right sized, and has been checked for proper installation and function. Buy a wood stove, or get gas heat.

Date created: 2010-12-08 Name: ADDIE TAYLOR
Location: 4200 TANGERINE AVE SANFORD FL

"UNSATISFIED"
I HAVE HAD MY HEAT PUMP FOR 6 YEARS NOW AND I HAVE HAD NOTHING BUT TROUBLE WITHIT SENCE I GOT IT I WLL NOT RECOMEND IT TO ANY ONE I JUST HAD THE SERVICE MAN OUT AGAIN TODAY AND HE SAID IT WOULD COST OVER 900 TO FIX IT.

Date created: 2010-12-07 Name: L. Gray
Location: Manassas, VA

"Just won't die"
My Rheem 10 seer heat pump is 16 years old and still running strong despite the bent coils in the air handling unit. I have been more than satisified with my Rheem unit.

Date created: 2010-11-19 Name: Johnny Wonny
Location: LV, NV

"Beat it"
My two year old Rheem heat pump started having problem. I called two technicians and one paid advice. One tech said bad air compressor and txv and the other said txv. Paid internet advice indicated reversing valve. While I'm waiting the warranty parts I studied heat pump mechanism on internet and fought for 5 days testing and checking. Finally it dawned on me that it quit running with icing on capillary tube attached to txv. The returning liquid should vaporize at the coil not capillary tube. There must be restrction at the txv. So I beat the txv with hammer heck out of it. Wow, now it runs like a champion. You go any web site, you will hear theory of heat pump like rocket science from all the experts. It seems they want to show off their knowledge than get to the point. AC and heat pump is high school level thermo-dynamics. Don't need to be a engineer. All you need is common sense and a hammer which solves any kind of problem including whinning spouse and barking dogs. Rheem's heat pump are not rated positively. They must manufacture the parts in factory in China.

Date created: 2010-11-07 Name: Denise
Location: Lancaster

"Classic outdoor unit"
WE had a new Rheem heatpump installed about 5 years ago. We have had to have something replaced or serviced every year since. I agree it may be the service technicians having NO clue as to how to service these units. We would not recommend nor will we purchase another Rheem in the future.

Date created: 2010-10-08 Name: John Sheppard
Location: Dallas, TX

"Noise and replace A-Coils"
I have two Rheem heat pumps. The A-coil on one was replaced very soon after the original installation because of excessive "hammering" noise when it shutoff. The A-Coil was replaced again a few years later because of a leak. Now, this system is making a gurgling, running water kind of noise that two different techs say is caused by the A-coil. The 2d unit in my house has worked fine except it also had a leaking A-coil that had to be replaced. Also, the water coming out the drain is always rusty which indicates there is some rusting of the drip pan which should not be happening.

Date created: 2010-08-30 Name: SHARRIE ROST
Location: AR

"MRS fROST"
I WILL NEVR OWN ANOTHER RHEEM NOTHING BT A MONEY PIT.

Date created: 2010-07-19 Name: Pam

"Bad decision"
I am completely unhappy with my heat pump in every aspect. I have terrible hot spots in my home during the summer and the temperature in the house is normally 8-11 degrees higher than what I have the thermostat on in the afternoons. It's so hot in here between 2 and 6 in the afternoon, it almost makes me feel sick. I have double paned windows and good insulation so I don't understand what the problem is. Also since the unit was installed, I often have a bad odor inside the house when the unit is running. In the winter, it blows cool air. After the unit has reached the temperature, the thermostat is set on because the fan continues to blow. I truly feel this was the worst decision I have made.

Date created: 2010-06-27 Name: Tim B.

"Nothing but Rheem, however......."
Typically, you don't replace your heater/ac unit that often. Mine went in the blizzard of 2003. I plodded through to Spring (early arrival that year!) with electric back-up and a set down thermostat. During that time, I heavily researched heat pump mfg's but more importantly I researched local installers. I agree with one other comment here that the installation is critical. Anyway, for me, Rheem is the only way to go. I clean the indoor/outdoor coils myself and clean the filter monthly (or more; 2 cats). This year (2010), we had 3 major snowfalls and my electric bill was within $1 of the same month a year ago. That's a lot of defrosting and of course, brooming away the snow as much as possible. Rheem, baby, Rheem!!!