Consumer Reviews of Rheem heat pumps

Read more about Rheem heat pumps

Date created: 2011-04-05 Location: Bethlehem, PA

"My First Heat Pump"
I currently have a Rheem heat pump in my home and since this is my first home away from my parents' house, this is the first heat pump I have had to deal with. I am not sure when the previous owners had it installed, but I have had no problems since moving on one year ago. Having a heat pump is very advantageous in the summer months and even the spring and fall because it cuts down on the electric bill. It keeps keeps the house cool or warm depending on the weather. It even works efficiently during most of the winter months. The only disadvantage to a heat pump is on those cold winters where the temperature drops below freezing. In my area we usually don't have more than a months worth of these days, but this past winter was very bitter. Since we would turn the heat down when we went to work, it would take some time to warm back up once we got home. I would definitely recommend this brand to a friend in this area. It has certainly met my needs and I have had no problems as far as the way it works.

Date created: 2011-02-27 Name: Rick S.
Location: Macon, GA

"Bummed about our Rheem"
Our unit was new about 9 years ago. We typically get 15 to 20 years from a unit. Ours quit heating and ran constantly, making an awful racket. HVAC guy came out and said it sprung a leak in the high pressure side and kept right on running because it lacked a simple pressure switch to shut it off. Now the unit is ruined for lack of a $10 switch, which most units have to prevent this type of damage. Thanks Rheem! You cut corners on the design of this pump. Don't think I'll buy another with your name on it.

Date created: 2011-02-16 Name: Brian Pangburn
Location: Casa Grande, AZ

"Rheemed"
We purchased fifteen (15) Rheem units in 2004 and 2005 for 12 of our apartments and three of our houses. The repairs started the first year replacing 3 outside fan run capacitors and we have averaged replacing 5 run caps every year since. Since July 2010 (units now 5 years old and past the warranty) I have spent over $8,000 on three compressors, run caps, and two other repairs. I thought by buying new units I would avoid having these repair bills. The old units probably would be still running fine and I would not have paid over $3,000 each to buy new units. I got Rheemed HARD.

Date created: 2011-02-11 Name: R. Bye
Location: Harvest, Al

"Warmer off, cold and expensive on"
We have had our heat pump for about 6 years. One problem after another. This Winter was the worse with a 660 bill while the house was cold (2250 SQFT. Connected my propane logs and found the heat pump still ran and the house would not get over .5 below the temp set and therefore it would continually run. I turned the heat pump off and the house warmed up. No matter what the heat pump was set on it prevents the house from getting to that temp unless I turn it off. Wish I had figured it out sooner, I could have saved a lot of money.

Date created: 2011-01-31 Name: B. Miller
Location: Colorado City Tx.

"Wouldn't trade it"
I closly read the "very unsat" reviews and have sumized that 90% have to be boggus. Interesting that there are no middle-of-the-road. My Rheem has been totally problem free keeping me most comfortable year round even on 14 degree nights. My power bill was cut to one third when installed with no signifacant change year round. I recently have been very impressed with their superb support teams quick responce and patients answering my questions. In the reviews there were two contractors who highly rated Rheem and I completely agree with them. You can find many other experts who have a high regard for Rheem. I highly recomend Rheem but I also highly reconend choosing a dealer from their site.

Date created: 2011-01-21 Name: JIM
Location: ROGERSVILLE, AL

"BAD ODOR AND COOL AIR IN WINTER"
WE JUST HAD A NEW RHEEM 3 1/2 TON HEAT PUMP AND ALL NEW DUCT WORK INSTALLED THIS PAST SPRING. THE UNIT OPERATED FINE DURING THE SPRING AND SUMMER MONTHS, HOWEVER WHEN WE TURNED IT OVER TO THE HEAT SIDE IT HAS OPERATED VERY UNSATISFACTORY. THE UNIT BLOWS COOL AIR ALL THE TIME WHEN IT IS RUNNING AND THAT IS MOST OF THE TIME WITH THE TEMPERATURE SET A 70 DEGREES. WHEN WE FIRST TURNED THE UNIT TO HEAT IT SMELLED LIKE OUR OLD UNIT DID LIKE BURNING DUST OFF BUT IT HAS NOT QUIT SMELLING THIS WAY ESPECIALLY WHEN IT GOES INTO THE DEFROSIT CYCLE. IT GIVES US A HEADACHE.

Date created: 2010-12-27 Name: J. DeMay

"Ultra dissatified"
I moved into my home in Florida in 2007. New home with new Rheem Heat Pump. This unit has never operated properly in the Heating mode. It intermitently, but often, blows cold air and sometimes will not go off for hours, cycling between heat mode and defrost, but never stopping. This is Florida and we're only asking it to maintain 72 degrees. It sometimes blows very hot air, at other times only luke warm. I have had numerous technicians here to fix it and they are unable to find a problem. From my personal experience, and from the extremely poor comments I see listed here and elsewhere, Rheem is a very poor quality company.

Date created: 2010-12-21 Name: Michael
Location: Eastern TN

"Buy a Wood Stove first"
We replaced an old gas furnace / AC unit with a Rheem heat pump. We had all duct work replaced due to the age of the house and leaks. New wiring, new ducts, new heat pump. When the outside temperature drops below 20 degrees, as it does in the wintertime the heat pump blows cold air. Even on Emergency heat, the heat pump will not keep our house above 60 degrees. The unit was right sized, and has been checked for proper installation and function. Buy a wood stove, or get gas heat.

Date created: 2010-12-08 Name: ADDIE TAYLOR
Location: 4200 TANGERINE AVE SANFORD FL

"UNSATISFIED"
I HAVE HAD MY HEAT PUMP FOR 6 YEARS NOW AND I HAVE HAD NOTHING BUT TROUBLE WITHIT SENCE I GOT IT I WLL NOT RECOMEND IT TO ANY ONE I JUST HAD THE SERVICE MAN OUT AGAIN TODAY AND HE SAID IT WOULD COST OVER 900 TO FIX IT.

Date created: 2010-12-07 Name: L. Gray
Location: Manassas, VA

"Just won't die"
My Rheem 10 seer heat pump is 16 years old and still running strong despite the bent coils in the air handling unit. I have been more than satisified with my Rheem unit.