Consumer Reviews of Rheem heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2017?

Read more about Rheem heat pumps

Date created: 2011-06-02 Name: C. Herbert
Location: Rogers, Arkansas

"RHQA - 1620J (4 Tons of Expenses and little payoff)"
I bought this 4 Ton unit new, and now it is completely shot. It has leaked out all the coolant and now the inside air handler is covered black mold. I only used it only on temps above 35 degree, because did not heat well without the heat stips it temps where below 35 degrees. I only use it in the summer on hot days above 85 degrees. Thousands of dollars and now it is beyond repair. Not a long life for the original cost, I bought the seer 13, for added electrical savings. I am really saving on my electric now because all I have is a fan for 100 degree temp. Thanks, Rheem....

Date created: 2011-05-29 Name: B Barnard
Location: Godfrey, IL

"Rheem Heat Pump"
Mine is 27 years old and just last year and this year had a leak. Hopefully won't cost much to repair.

Date created: 2011-05-12 Name: J Latham
Location: Alabama

"Still running but for how much longer?"
The heatpump has given me problems over the years but is still working. Had to push the reset button the other day but after that, everything was fine. Had a Rheem repairman come out and basically said it was running fine but a slow leak of freon somewhere. He did say, I would need to replace it in the near future. I guess right now, I hold my breath and praise the Lord for all the good years(well a few problems too).

Date created: 2011-05-12 Location: L.A. CA

"Rheem EcoSense 40 Gal"
I have owned my Rheem EcoSense 40 Gal. 12 Year Hybrid Electric Water Heater for three and a hlaf years. I Love that i can have hot water whenever I want it and it was verry easy to install. there is nothing i disslike about it. never had to replace it in three and a half years. I would buy it again if i had to. Deffinatly recomend this to a friend or family member because its verry verry easy to install and hastle free.

Date created: 2011-04-20 Name: dave cooper
Location: Culpeper, Va.

"Unhappy in va."
Had new system put in less than 5 years ago. New gas furnace with heat pump, gas to be emergency heat. worked fine until this year and the compressor went out. Had 10 year warranty but labor not included. Installer wants $1200.00 dollars to replace. I think I could replace the unit for that. NOT A HAPPY CAMPER.

Date created: 2011-04-12 Name: M Green
Location: Comanche, Texas

"Bad air"
From Day one this unit gave us trouble.. When we switche the unit form heating to cooling we have to have it manually switched over and somettimes during the winter the outside unit would shut off all together and run the inside heat strips running my light bills up into $600-650.00 They have replaced three circut boards and two motors on the outside unit and two motors on the inside unit.. All together I have 16 repair oreders after 2 and 1/2 yrs of this unit being put in I will never buy this brand again or anything made from this company

Date created: 2011-04-05 Location: Bethlehem, PA

"My First Heat Pump"
I currently have a Rheem heat pump in my home and since this is my first home away from my parents' house, this is the first heat pump I have had to deal with. I am not sure when the previous owners had it installed, but I have had no problems since moving on one year ago. Having a heat pump is very advantageous in the summer months and even the spring and fall because it cuts down on the electric bill. It keeps keeps the house cool or warm depending on the weather. It even works efficiently during most of the winter months. The only disadvantage to a heat pump is on those cold winters where the temperature drops below freezing. In my area we usually don't have more than a months worth of these days, but this past winter was very bitter. Since we would turn the heat down when we went to work, it would take some time to warm back up once we got home. I would definitely recommend this brand to a friend in this area. It has certainly met my needs and I have had no problems as far as the way it works.

Date created: 2011-02-27 Name: Rick S.
Location: Macon, GA

"Bummed about our Rheem"
Our unit was new about 9 years ago. We typically get 15 to 20 years from a unit. Ours quit heating and ran constantly, making an awful racket. HVAC guy came out and said it sprung a leak in the high pressure side and kept right on running because it lacked a simple pressure switch to shut it off. Now the unit is ruined for lack of a $10 switch, which most units have to prevent this type of damage. Thanks Rheem! You cut corners on the design of this pump. Don't think I'll buy another with your name on it.

Date created: 2011-02-16 Name: Brian Pangburn
Location: Casa Grande, AZ

"Rheemed"
We purchased fifteen (15) Rheem units in 2004 and 2005 for 12 of our apartments and three of our houses. The repairs started the first year replacing 3 outside fan run capacitors and we have averaged replacing 5 run caps every year since. Since July 2010 (units now 5 years old and past the warranty) I have spent over $8,000 on three compressors, run caps, and two other repairs. I thought by buying new units I would avoid having these repair bills. The old units probably would be still running fine and I would not have paid over $3,000 each to buy new units. I got Rheemed HARD.

Date created: 2011-02-11 Name: R. Bye
Location: Harvest, Al

"Warmer off, cold and expensive on"
We have had our heat pump for about 6 years. One problem after another. This Winter was the worse with a 660 bill while the house was cold (2250 SQFT. Connected my propane logs and found the heat pump still ran and the house would not get over .5 below the temp set and therefore it would continually run. I turned the heat pump off and the house warmed up. No matter what the heat pump was set on it prevents the house from getting to that temp unless I turn it off. Wish I had figured it out sooner, I could have saved a lot of money.