Consumer Reviews of Rheem heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2017?

Read more about Rheem heat pumps

Date created: 2012-05-06 Name: MARGARET MCGOWAN
Location: Martin, TN

"NEVER BUY RHEEM"
Had this unit put in 6-03-05, in 08 had to replace the compressor, liquid lines and replace refrigerant and now 4/05/12 the unit wouldn't run when turned on. All the refrigerant had run out. I had a broken equalizer line broke at braze joint, of course had to have the refrigerant replaced...having this work done isn't cheap, I have learned my lesson and should have done my home work first...so please don't make my mistake...don't buy a Rheem, they are garbage.

Date created: 2012-02-29 Name: Crystal
Location: Virginia

"Terrible Product"
We had out 2 1/2 ton rheem installed (inside and outside unit) in January 2010. We have had nothing but problems since. We live in Virginia and out heat pump has run constantly since installed. Our electric bills never went down even after installation of new unit. The unit is extremely loud and is outside our bedroom. I can hear from end of driveway on some days. The unit is now 2 years and 1 month old and we hired a new contractor to come out last week because our bills are $289 for 31 days. Come to find out the motor has oil all over it which I am told will only last about another year, and today they tell me that either my compressor or compasitor are bad and that the heat is running constantly on emergency heat. I am told that parts are covered but not the labor which could run $1,000! wth. We even got the opinion from separate contractor than one whom installed to be sure it was the product and not installation problem. These products are terrible. Now I am out the $4k I paid exactly 2 years ago, have had bills from $289-$800 for a 1100sq ft home with 2 adults and 1 kid....and now I am not covered for labor on a part that should have lasted 10 years but only last 2years or less..because I have been having this problem since day 1!

Date created: 2012-01-14 Name: scott mullins
Location: Ga

"Not reliable"
I had two of these heat pumps installed and have had problems with both. Most have been due to bad installation (sloppy wiring) not the units themselves. We did have a leak in one unit which the warranty covered the parts but not the refrigerant which was $350.00. They are louder then other heat pumps we have owned and register temp is low (high 70s) at 35 degrees outside. I would try a different brand before purchasing Rheem.

Date created: 2011-12-02 Location: West Chester, PA

"Very pleased! Great heat pump"
Ive owned this heat pump for years now. It's very reliable, and hasn't caused any problems. The only problem is that it makes a little noise when it works. It's not very noticeable though. I would definitely recommend this brand to anyone.

Date created: 2011-11-27 Name: Cindy Reed
Location: Whitwell Tn

"BAD UNIT"
Rheem Heat Pump is only 3 years old, compressor burnt out, their safety breaker didn't work so it burnt out our main breaker which cost us $95. The compressor was under warranty, but the company charged us to ship the part to the installer, also charged us for the freon, filter and labor in all it cost us $435 just because their product didn't hold up. So please if you are in the market for a heat pump don't chose a Rheem, the company doesn't stand behind their product.

Date created: 2011-09-13 Name: Bob Trail
Location: Lake Como FL

"The most credible"
I am Robert Trail, after reading this collection of experiences I feel that there must be many happy folks who don't contribute (once you're all set, you aren't inclined to revisit this forum) so items like quality of service and number of major repairs are the most useful, but unless extreme, should be weighed. The most credible are installer contractors' comments and I wish there were more of them. It is apparent that installation is critical. I really like my 10 year old Rheem. Haven't needed the heat strips at all here in northern Florida.

Date created: 2011-08-30 Name: Mark Hettick
Location: Missoula Montana

"My Rheem Furnace/Heatpump/Ac Unit Is Junk"
Going on three years with my top of the line Rheem. They put it in and replaced in two weeks with a new one. Still want work and the salesman will not do anything about because Rheem will not help with all the labor he has in replace the first one. The heat pump and ac unit still don't work. Pay that much for a heat unit and its junk. Just put a new Armstrong in the house my company built and its works great. Think twice before buying Rheem product. The service from Rheem has been very unsatisfied.

Date created: 2011-08-20 Name: karen barton
Location: Australia

"My 3 years old Rheem heat pump has died"
My 3 years old Rheem heat pump has died, complete rebuild needed, cost of approximately $1,500, apparently due to too much calcium in the water. Why are we not told about how the quality of the water can affect the running of the system? Why is being environmentally friendly so expensive? I am not happy!!

Date created: 2011-06-12 Name: B Barnard
Location: Godfrey, IL

"Rheam heat pump"
My 27 year old heat pump had a leak, the little cap was tightened, charged, and now works fine.

Date created: 2011-06-02 Name: C. Herbert
Location: Rogers, Arkansas

"RHQA - 1620J (4 Tons of Expenses and little payoff)"
I bought this 4 Ton unit new, and now it is completely shot. It has leaked out all the coolant and now the inside air handler is covered black mold. I only used it only on temps above 35 degree, because did not heat well without the heat stips it temps where below 35 degrees. I only use it in the summer on hot days above 85 degrees. Thousands of dollars and now it is beyond repair. Not a long life for the original cost, I bought the seer 13, for added electrical savings. I am really saving on my electric now because all I have is a fan for 100 degree temp. Thanks, Rheem....