Consumer Reviews of Rheem heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2014?

Read more about Rheem heat pumps

Date created: 2012-07-30 Name: sd NC
Location: North Carolina

"Rheem"
We replaced our old ac heat pump with a new Rheem installed 4 years ago- It has quit working 5 times in the 4 years. Today we had the capacitor replaced. Our old unit worked 20 years and only started giving us trouble after it worked 19 years! (Not a Rheem). When this rheem unit is replaced, it will not be with another rheem! I wouldn't have another Rheem if it were free. Costs too much to keep fixing it.

Date created: 2012-07-12 Name: Mike
Location: Louisiana

I built a new house, 3 years ago, placed 4 heat pumps, all have been worked on....AT Least every 4 months!!!! These units...and thus rheem...is a pile of crap. do not buy!! In fact....even if given to for free...do not accept!!

Date created: 2012-06-03 Name: C. Edward
Location: South Carolina

"At this rate, it's gonn'a break me!"
2.5 Year old home/unit. 3.5 ton unit. Thermal expansion valve shot in less than three years. Tech showed me the screen in the valve after he removed it. Full of debris that looked like metal filings. When he took the fan housing off to access the valve, the conduit from the fan to the unit housing was ripped and the wires were chafed (sp?) severly as they entered the control panel area. The conduit had been jammed into the unit at the factory as it entered the housing. 2.5 year old unit and I had to shell out over $200 for labor and gas replacement. The valve was covered under warranty. The thing is practically brand new! It's also extremely noisy. Do not place a new Rheem 3.5 ton unit anywhere near a sleeping area. The reversing valve will keep you awake all night.

Date created: 2012-05-06 Name: MARGARET MCGOWAN
Location: Martin, TN

"NEVER BUY RHEEM"
Had this unit put in 6-03-05, in 08 had to replace the compressor, liquid lines and replace refrigerant and now 4/05/12 the unit wouldn't run when turned on. All the refrigerant had run out. I had a broken equalizer line broke at braze joint, of course had to have the refrigerant replaced...having this work done isn't cheap, I have learned my lesson and should have done my home work first...so please don't make my mistake...don't buy a Rheem, they are garbage.

Date created: 2012-02-29 Name: Crystal
Location: Virginia

"Terrible Product"
We had out 2 1/2 ton rheem installed (inside and outside unit) in January 2010. We have had nothing but problems since. We live in Virginia and out heat pump has run constantly since installed. Our electric bills never went down even after installation of new unit. The unit is extremely loud and is outside our bedroom. I can hear from end of driveway on some days. The unit is now 2 years and 1 month old and we hired a new contractor to come out last week because our bills are $289 for 31 days. Come to find out the motor has oil all over it which I am told will only last about another year, and today they tell me that either my compressor or compasitor are bad and that the heat is running constantly on emergency heat. I am told that parts are covered but not the labor which could run $1,000! wth. We even got the opinion from separate contractor than one whom installed to be sure it was the product and not installation problem. These products are terrible. Now I am out the $4k I paid exactly 2 years ago, have had bills from $289-$800 for a 1100sq ft home with 2 adults and 1 kid....and now I am not covered for labor on a part that should have lasted 10 years but only last 2years or less..because I have been having this problem since day 1!

Date created: 2012-01-14 Name: scott mullins
Location: Ga

"Not reliable"
I had two of these heat pumps installed and have had problems with both. Most have been due to bad installation (sloppy wiring) not the units themselves. We did have a leak in one unit which the warranty covered the parts but not the refrigerant which was $350.00. They are louder then other heat pumps we have owned and register temp is low (high 70s) at 35 degrees outside. I would try a different brand before purchasing Rheem.

Date created: 2011-12-07 Name: Bill Gourley
Location: Paducah, KY

"Problems"
I can't find my model number listed above, but, on the manual it says: "(-)pql-jez model series - 15 seer. This unit was installed in a new condo in June, 2010. I have had to call service about 10-12 times in that period of time. The service guy would come out, add gas and hit the reset button and declare the unit as being fixed. It would run for a few days and quit running again. About December of last year, another repairman came out and installed a new expansion valve and the unit has worked ok since then. Three days ago it quit working again. The repairman came out, added more 410-a, hit the reset button and declared it repaired. That lasted about two hours and it's dead again. Another repairman is supposed to be here this afternoon. I'm sure glad we can use the emergency heat or we'd really be cold, it's 38 degrees outside. The greater problem is we go to Florida in the winter and I'm scared to trust this unit. By the way, it is all electric.

Date created: 2011-12-02 Location: West Chester, PA

"Very pleased! Great heat pump"
Ive owned this heat pump for years now. It's very reliable, and hasn't caused any problems. The only problem is that it makes a little noise when it works. It's not very noticeable though. I would definitely recommend this brand to anyone.

Date created: 2011-11-27 Name: Cindy Reed
Location: Whitwell Tn

"BAD UNIT"
Rheem Heat Pump is only 3 years old, compressor burnt out, their safety breaker didn't work so it burnt out our main breaker which cost us $95. The compressor was under warranty, but the company charged us to ship the part to the installer, also charged us for the freon, filter and labor in all it cost us $435 just because their product didn't hold up. So please if you are in the market for a heat pump don't chose a Rheem, the company doesn't stand behind their product.

Date created: 2011-09-13 Name: Bob Trail
Location: Lake Como FL

"The most credible"
I am Robert Trail, after reading this collection of experiences I feel that there must be many happy folks who don't contribute (once you're all set, you aren't inclined to revisit this forum) so items like quality of service and number of major repairs are the most useful, but unless extreme, should be weighed. The most credible are installer contractors' comments and I wish there were more of them. It is apparent that installation is critical. I really like my 10 year old Rheem. Haven't needed the heat strips at all here in northern Florida.