Consumer Reviews of Rheem heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2017?

Read more about Rheem heat pumps

Date created: 2014-12-04 Name: SCOTT H
Location: WV

"Beware"
We have installed Rheem units since 1987. I mean, we used to install Rheem units. We have experienced around a 35% failure rate on Rheem equipment. We sell and install over 200 units per year. It's quite simple - bad TXV's, defective evaporation coils, and very poor and expensive electronics have forced us change brands. We now sell American Standard. We've had to return on 8 out of 175 this year. Most of the problems were our fault. We backed up and gave everyone that we put in a Rheem unit for a 5-year labor warranty at no cost. The only thing worse than a Rheem unit is the factory and distributors that wholesale it to your local dealer. If you have a problem that you cannot resolve with your local dealer, good luck. Spring 2019 can't come soon enough. If you have to pay for a Rheem replacement coil under warranty, you shouldn't have to pay more than $400- $500. Any more than that and you are getting hosed. Do your homework.

Date created: 2014-11-18 Name: Farrington
Location: Glendale, AZ

"Rheem heat pump - faulty product!"
We purchased this Rheem 5 ton heat/AC unit in October, 2011. On February 23, 2012, we had to call due to unit shutting off. The installers came out and it was the high limit switch tripping. On 3/20/2012, the unit was blowing out cold air. The installers came out and said the unit went into defrost. On 09/12/13 the unit was not blowing out cold air. The installers came out, the issue now is that the system is again low on pressure. On 12/28/13, the unit is going out and blowing cold air. The installers came out, this time the issue is low pressure. On 01/12/2014, the installers found the cap tube going to the suction line was cracked. On 02/05/2014, I made another call due to the unit not functioning. The installers found circuit board issues as well as, again, low pressure. On 11/18/2014, wow, another call on this same unit. The TXV going to the sensing bulb has broken! Okay, there is a real problem when you are spending more on your new unit than you did on your previous unit that was 16 years old! So letís recap: the company we used to purchase and install the unit no longer promotes the sales of Rheem as a result of faults like these. So where do we go from here? What are our options? Based on the pages and pages of bad reviews, it sounds to me as though Rheem needs to back up their product! What do you think? Letís see what they do to back up their bad product.

Date created: 2014-09-06 Name: Charlie
Location: Florida

"Unsatisfied"
Replaced coil last year, leaked Freon out 4 times. Not good service.

Date created: 2014-07-07 Name: E. Hamilton
Location: Midland, Georgia

"Think twice buying this Rheem unit"
This unit was installed by the builder in 2009. Breakdowns are an annual summer event. Now, it's just outside it's 5 year parts warranty, and this is going to start getting expensive. I have two units, one for upstairs, one for down. Both units breakdown annually. This is absolutely insane. A neighbor of mine with the same unit had to already replace it.

Date created: 2013-11-28 Name: Mrs wude
Location: washington dc

"Rheem Heat Pump"
When you purchase Rheem, price is reasonable but totally terrible. Heat pump I got installed 2 years ago and I have to request technician 11 times. Think twice to buy this product. It's totally bogus, I felt my money was totally wasted. Most of the time, I am on my emergency heat. My electric bill is sky rocket. My experience started from the first day and with Honeywell thermostat, both equipment are terrible. I am very disappointed, installed by Michael & Son!!!

Date created: 2013-10-07 Name: a c

"Piece of Junk"
Purchased new, I will have to pay for labor to replace. Used for 11 months and evaporator coil leaking. Buy a different brand.

Date created: 2013-08-19 Name: Terry Bachman
Location: North Richland Hills, TX

"Constant Leak Problems"
We had our heat pump replaced with a 14 seer Rheem heat pump in 2011. This spring during spring checkup, tech found no refrigerant and welded a line in the compressor unit. Cost us $350 for refrigerant. 30 days later, same problem and more welding on same line. The company ate the charges that time. 30 days later, same problem and company got Rheem to replace the entire unit. 60 days later, same problem on new unit and tech welded the line and refilled. Wondering how long this will last.

Date created: 2013-08-05 Name: L.Thomas
Location: Tn

"Really Nice"
This works year-round. The electric bill has gone down since we got a new one.

Date created: 2013-08-04 Name: N.Jones
Location: Og.

"Old Faithful"
My last unit was an '85, replaced it in '98. This does a nice job year around. This is more efficient. The four top contractors recommended Rheem.

Date created: 2013-07-02 Name: G.Ford
Location: Post Falls,ID

"Awesome"
Yep, this works great in the winter. And all brands have good and bad reviews. I'll give $10,000 to anyone that can show me one that doesn't. Got the package so it has A/C in the summer. Above 15 seer go with Trane, very nice unit. Have 2 houses, so we have different models in different states. Same brand.