Consumer Reviews of Rheem heat pumps

Read more about Rheem heat pumps

Date created: 2015-05-18 Name: karen Simpson
Location: United States

"Don't buy Rheem anything. Boycott them."
My heat pump is 2 years old, and still under the Rheem crappy warranty. They knowingly used defective copper in their coil unit and have had numerous complaints, according to my service man. My unit continuously runs out of refrigerant and has to be serviced. Winter, summer, it doesn't matter; it leaks out through the faulty copper coils and you, the consumer, are responsible for labor, refrigerant, everything except the coils. They'll replace the coils, but you have to pay the labor charges, to the tune of $300-500 over what they will cover for their own screw up. So, after paying in the neighborhood of $3,000-$5000 to buy the piece of crap in the first place, just be aware that your costs don't end there. Mine was less than 1 year old when I discovered there was no refrigerant in it and it had to be charged up. Then, this past winter it leaked out again, although I didn't find out until today. I ended up paying over $300 per month for heat bills because of Rheem's faulty copper coils. So, today, even though it's under full warranty, I'm being charged around $200 to, once again, have refrigerant put in it. So, all consumers, beware of any Rheem product! They use faulty pieces in their manufacturing and refuse to accept their own full responsibility. I'm not the idiot that tried to screw the public by knowingly using shitty copper in the unit, I'm just the idiot that bought Rheem. Why should I or you have to pay for Rheem's stupidity? Please post to all social media and get the word out that Rheem screws their customers and doesn't care.

Date created: 2015-03-26 Location: Tampa, FLorida

"My central air conditoner and how i appreciate it"
I have owned my central air conditioner for almost three years. I like it because the outside unit is very quiet even on start up and the efficiency it has provided me has lowered my power bill by almost fifteen per cent on average. I know its trivial but the Rheem green color is not my favorite but other than that nothing is not to like. I have had to have a repair done but it was only a swollen capacitor and was replaced promptly by my dealer. I would definitely recommend this brand over any I have ever owned. The combination of quiet, efficiency and also the fact that my neighbors have also been Rheem customers for years all make this a no brainer. Of course the fact that my dealer seems to have access to parts rapidly is a tribute to the distributor as well . Just like that Rheem has a multi functional efficient team behind it as well.

Date created: 2015-02-24 Name: William D. Vick
Location: Bailey, NC

"Rheem junk"
I got my Rheem unit on 9/07/2011 and already had two TXV valves put on it. I'm going to get the Attorney General to handler my problem. It's time to put a stop to this company that makes these units. I'm going to put the money to good use getting the Attorney General of North Carolina to take care of this.

Date created: 2015-01-11 Name: A. Nicol
Location: Beloeil, Quebec, Canada

"30 years old and still performing well"
This 2.5T Rheem heat pump is a dinosaur that refuses to die. Condemned 4 years ago for a leaking line, it was emptied and vacuumed properly and then an anti leak and proper lubricant was added and it was filled with HC-22a. It heats my house until the outside temperature reaches minus 12C. It takes a basement 19C ambient temperature and raises it to a temperature that suits my expectations. It is actually minus 6C outside and the air coming out of the duct is a comfortable 31C . I keep touching wood for another ten years of loyal and good service.

Date created: 2014-12-04 Name: SCOTT H
Location: WV

"Beware"
We have installed Rheem units since 1987. I mean, we used to install Rheem units. We have experienced around a 35% failure rate on Rheem equipment. We sell and install over 200 units per year. It's quite simple - bad TXV's, defective evaporation coils, and very poor and expensive electronics have forced us change brands. We now sell American Standard. We've had to return on 8 out of 175 this year. Most of the problems were our fault. We backed up and gave everyone that we put in a Rheem unit for a 5-year labor warranty at no cost. The only thing worse than a Rheem unit is the factory and distributors that wholesale it to your local dealer. If you have a problem that you cannot resolve with your local dealer, good luck. Spring 2019 can't come soon enough. If you have to pay for a Rheem replacement coil under warranty, you shouldn't have to pay more than $400- $500. Any more than that and you are getting hosed. Do your homework.

Date created: 2014-11-18 Name: Farrington
Location: Glendale, AZ

"Rheem heat pump - faulty product!"
We purchased this Rheem 5 ton heat/AC unit in October, 2011. On February 23, 2012, we had to call due to unit shutting off. The installers came out and it was the high limit switch tripping. On 3/20/2012, the unit was blowing out cold air. The installers came out and said the unit went into defrost. On 09/12/13 the unit was not blowing out cold air. The installers came out, the issue now is that the system is again low on pressure. On 12/28/13, the unit is going out and blowing cold air. The installers came out, this time the issue is low pressure. On 01/12/2014, the installers found the cap tube going to the suction line was cracked. On 02/05/2014, I made another call due to the unit not functioning. The installers found circuit board issues as well as, again, low pressure. On 11/18/2014, wow, another call on this same unit. The TXV going to the sensing bulb has broken! Okay, there is a real problem when you are spending more on your new unit than you did on your previous unit that was 16 years old! So lets recap: the company we used to purchase and install the unit no longer promotes the sales of Rheem as a result of faults like these. So where do we go from here? What are our options? Based on the pages and pages of bad reviews, it sounds to me as though Rheem needs to back up their product! What do you think? Lets see what they do to back up their bad product.

Date created: 2014-09-06 Name: Charlie
Location: Florida

"Unsatisfied"
Replaced coil last year, leaked Freon out 4 times. Not good service.

Date created: 2014-07-07 Name: E. Hamilton
Location: Midland, Georgia

"Think twice buying this Rheem unit"
This unit was installed by the builder in 2009. Breakdowns are an annual summer event. Now, it's just outside it's 5 year parts warranty, and this is going to start getting expensive. I have two units, one for upstairs, one for down. Both units breakdown annually. This is absolutely insane. A neighbor of mine with the same unit had to already replace it.

Date created: 2013-11-28 Name: Mrs wude
Location: washington dc

"Rheem Heat Pump"
When you purchase Rheem, price is reasonable but totally terrible. Heat pump I got installed 2 years ago and I have to request technician 11 times. Think twice to buy this product. It's totally bogus, I felt my money was totally wasted. Most of the time, I am on my emergency heat. My electric bill is sky rocket. My experience started from the first day and with Honeywell thermostat, both equipment are terrible. I am very disappointed, installed by Michael & Son!!!

Date created: 2013-10-07 Name: a c

"Piece of Junk"
Purchased new, I will have to pay for labor to replace. Used for 11 months and evaporator coil leaking. Buy a different brand.