Consumer Reviews of Rheem heat pumps

Read more about Rheem heat pumps

Date created: 2009-01-30 Name: D. Elswick
Location: Richmond, VA

"Rheem's a hummer"
This Rheem replaced a Rudd (20+ years old). I know its the same company. No problems during the 1st 9 years - then the unit started humming. Located in basement but it will drown out the tv which is upstairs. Then the outside unit started humming even louder. Talked to 2 licensed Rheem repair companies - both said the same thing "You just got a hummer". But how do you shut it UP? ! Hum will get so loud at times, it's very irrating. Just makes you want to scream when it goes on and on for over 30 minutes at a time. It feels like your bones are vibrarting to the beat of the hum. They said you would have the replace the copper tubing that runs from the outside to the inside - and even then - they could not guarantee that this would shut it up. I too have heard from other repair copanies that HP only last about 10 years. But this house, I used to rent to my parents. While I lived in another house - which had a HP that was about 18 years old when it died.

Date created: 2008-12-24 Name: S. Buchsbaum
Location: Stamford, CT

"I got rheemed!"
What a lousy piece of equipment! For the rather short life of this unit, I never felt that my condominium was ever heated properly. Whenever it got below freezing it seems that my Rheem heat pump couldn't keep up with the cold. That's all over now because at the beginning of a month long heat wave in July of 2008, the heat pump's compressor exploded. And I was just out of warranty on that darned compressor. After several estimates, lots of research, and many thousands of dollars, I replaced the entire system with a matched Trane heat pump and air handler and programable thermostat. I am now happy and warm. (See my review of the Trane equipment in the Trane section.)

Date created: 2008-11-15 Name: M.Weinrich
Location: Palm Coast, Florida

"HOMEOWNER"
Rheem is an appropriate name for a company that treats its customers so poorly. My 5 year Rheem unit developed leaks in all the coils, replacement cost approx$500. My warranty expired 11/04, my problems occurred on 11/06, 11/10..Rheem would not honor my warranty at all. I had to replace entire system.

Date created: 2008-10-30 Name: WSG
Location: Tpa. FL

"Dependable,Economical."
Unit (3.5 ton heat pump) has performed reliably for 17 years. Two repairs, Condenser Fan, Compressor Contactor. Utilized heat recovery option to make hot water. Will replace next spring with another Rheem unit. Annual maintenance is key, licensed contractor should always be involved. I've certainly received my monies worth and will with out hesitation purchase another.

Date created: 2008-09-24 Name: Richard Kovach
Location: Malabar, FL

"Homeowner"
Worst I ever owned. In 18 months I had two compressor fan failures, and the circuit breaker in the top of the air handler failed. Professionally installed. NEVER AGAIN

Date created: 2008-08-05 Name: Hal R
Location: Eagle Point, Oregon

"So far, so good"
This 2.5 ton unit was installed new, new house, in 2005. I maintain the both coils myself, and clean the system twice a year. It stays right up with 100 deg+ to 20's and 30's in the winter. Air handler is quite, scroll compressor is nice and quite too. I don't know if I would have picked Rheem if the contractor didn't, but now that I have one, I think it blows the socks off of my former Bryant, and a Carrier (that I will never have again). It has never needed service in the 3 years so far, which is a testament to a well installed and soldered copper system. If you look through all of the reviews on this sight, you will see that most hammer on their equipment, with a 2 out of 5. It sounds like a lot were oversold, with larger systems than they needed, with rapid cycling, freezing up, in all the brands. Upsold? Taken advantage of? I don't know. Sizing is very important for longevity and efficiency. Folks that post here, seem to have an axe to grind. Rheem has been in business since 1927. If all of their systems were horrible, do you think they would still be in business? Today, it was 101. Output was 56deg, with an input of 77 deg. Running pretty darn well. Heat pump side runs on the compressor down to the mid/lower 20's, without needing aux heat. I am pretty happy with it so far.

Date created: 2008-07-19 Name: D. Stone

"EXTREMELY Unsatisfied"
Just had complete unit replaced, including air handler, ductwork (everything from the ground up). Unit worked for two days. Leaking. Tech fixed leak. Worked for one day. Replaced valve?. Worked for three days. Replace same valve again. Didn't make it through one day. Compressor blew. Replaced compressor and valve. Worked three days. This all happened within 3 weeks of initial install. Right now I'm sitting in an 85-degree house awaiting arrival next week of another part. First thing Monday morning I will be calling my contractor to get this piece of **** out and replaced with anything but a RHEEM. ("a piece of ****." is what I overheard the repair tech call it as he worked in 105 degree sun.) I do commend my contractor. They responded to each "break" within 48 hours. So I can't be upset with them. They are doing the best they can with sub-standard equipment a.k.a. RHEEM

Date created: 2008-05-29 Name: John Prudhomme
Location: Montreal, Canada

"Rheem 1992 Weather King"
This has been the only unit I have owned since becoming a homeowner. Had this 2 ton system installed with an oil furnace (Lincoln) in 1992. A relay went the second year (repaired under warranty) Had seasonal servicing done for only 2 years after. Last year had it looked at and topped off with freon, the service guy came back in and told me he wouldn't charge me 'cause the compressor was dead, didn't even charge me for the call! He told me that heat pumps can last between 8 to 12 years depending on usage, etc... I turned it on after he left and it ran all summer long. We'll it was freezing up this last winter...so I bypassed it and finished up with oil...ouch!! I tried to see if there was still some magic left in it this spring when the temperature started to climb,... But "its dead Jim" I plan on buying the same brand since it served me so well.

Date created: 2008-04-15 Name: Sheila
Location: Kingsport, TN

Compressor replaced after one year, under warranty but had to pay 350 service call to replace it. Now fan motor and something else is shot costing us another 290. Service man recommended replacing already. Have to recharge system because of leaks twice a year.

Date created: 2008-03-12 Name: Jason
Location: Washington

Ive installed and servied Rheem Equipment for over ten years. I have intalled hundreds of heat pumps, and a'c systems. They have a outstanding warranty, excellent preformance, and they have the best EER and HSPF numbers on the market. I would recoment Rheem to anyone and everyone.