Consumer Reviews of Rheem heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2018?

Read more about Rheem heat pumps

Date created: 2018-07-13 Name: Tracy
Location: West Grove, PA

"Shady warranty"
The compressor died after 7 years. We had what we thought it was a 10-year warranty, which is in large type on the warranty document. When our contractor came out to fix our unit, he told us it is only a 5-year warranty due to the fact it was not registered. Read the fine print. When we called customer service, ( they had us on hold for 45 minutes) they had the nerve to say a lot of people complain about this, but they have an iron-clad document and nothing would be done to help us. They ended with, we stand by our product. Our contractor did not tell us to register the warranty and I have concluded that Rheem does not want them to.

Date created: 2018-07-09 Name: M. Benson
Location: AL

"Poor quality"
Installed September 2012. Needs a reverseing valve for the fourth time. Rheem rep. offered to replace outside unit, but I would have to replace the air handler in attic at my expense. What I have paid to replace the value, they should make me whole again by replacing the entire system at no cost. Labor would be on me about, $3000. But Rheem is not interested in customer satisfaction, just their bottom line, and that of the retailers. If you do an internet search you will see that in 2014 there was a class action lawsuit against Rheem ac.
Date created: 2018-06-24 Name: Robert Johnson
Location: Florida

"So wrong to do this to people."
Bought in October of 2011, paid 3233.00. First year fan motor went out, fourth year valve went out (375.00), fifth year capacitor went out (85.00). This year April 2018 coil leaks and this will be another (1200.00). All refrigerant lost. It's time to fight back .
Date created: 2018-06-08 Name: Arlene Chiero
Location: Mesa Arizona

" AVOID unit made by satan"
Rheem Model RQRMA060JK000 installed June 27,2012. Had useless warranties 5 yr thermostat,10 yr compressor outdoor coil 10 yr,parts 10 yr. Seven service calls after installation the installer finally got it to cool. This took 31 months from 2012 to January 7, 2014 when it finally began to cool. This is a defective manufacture from the start. I had a rheem installed in June 27.2012 . model RQRMA060JK000. . The company who sold it to us is Magic Touch. The unit would not cool. After 7 service calls finally replacing a solenoid and a reversing valve $1,628.14 and suffering for 2 years and 7 months before the unit could work and cool. THIRTY-ONE MONTHS, no cooling.In the meantime there was a roof pitch correction due to water pouring from roof August 21,2012, high access valve leak on October 12,2012 still no cooling,system tripped from high pressure on ,A 85.50 capacitor on October 2,2013 Too much refrigerant on January 14,2014 Unit finally cools after 31 months on this date since 2012 install.On December 16,2017 95.55 for a fuse and diagnosis and need 1600.00 for a metering device. txv needed. I paid 95.55 for the call. January 4,2018 txv changed out. Magic Touch owner graciously changed 1600.00 charge down to 300.00 AT first before the unit worked I had 31 months sweltering. This last period in December was very cold over the Xmas holidays and New Years. This Rheem heat pump is absolutely nothing but malfunctioning and extreme stress. The very last straw is June 7,2018 now this piece of non working junk needs a very expensive reversing valve again. What does Rheem make that actually works. This thing neither heats OR cools as I was sol when I bought it.. I am waiting to hear from Magic Touch the installer after SHE speaks to Rheem In all of my 84 years this by far the worst product I had to live and suffer with.
Date created: 2018-06-08 Name: Sherry
Location: Mississippi

"Junky rheem unit"
We have had many different units in our life time but this is the worst. Installed the unit in May 2012 and have had nothing but problems. Outside unit doesn't come on half of the time. Makes awful noises. The unit quit in the middle of winter. Had it worked on in October 2017 and now it's quit again June 2018. Never buy a rheem unit.
Date created: 2018-01-20 Name: Nick MacDonald
Location: New Brunswick, Canada

"Rheem JUNK!"
Got a 18000btu unit. It hasn't worked since we got it. We have had to recharge it twice already (only 4 months old) and itnstill isn't working. Runs for 5 and shuts down for 5. It can't produce enough heat to activate the thermostat. Bought it at Home Depot they won't do anything and Rheem won't do anything either. Worse piece of equipment I've ever purchased. Never ever buy one complete waste of money and time.
Date created: 2017-10-25 Name: Gary
Location: Fort Myers Beach, FL

"Rheem doesn't stand by thier product"
I had this Rheem unit installed by Warnky Heating and Cooling in February 2015 to avoid problems while we were away from the property. The installer gave a two year warranty on Labor. After 1 1/2 years, the unit broke down due to a faulty air handler mother board. It took almost two weeks to repair, but we had no cost because of the 2 year labor warranty. Less than year later, we had another major breakdown. The contractor's service man told us that the motherboard need replacing and that we had a leak in the Freon line. He though we had no Freon in the line and we would need 13 pound to charge it. Needless to say we were not happy! Since it was such a new unit and it sounded like it had the same problem in less than a year. We wanted to talk with the owner who sold us the unit. She had made verbal promises and email promises to help us in the future, if we had any problems with the unit or the installation. She was on vacation and never returned our calls or emails. After a week of calling their office everyday, the service manager had a talk with the owner about our situation. In the end, the problem was improperly diagnosed and it took over 6 weeks to repair. The contractor more than once dropped the ball! The problem was caused by the faulty factory installation. The mixing valve in the outside condenser unit was not installed properly and leaked. The unit lost all of the 13 lbs of $50/lb Freon due to this error in manufacturing. Although the contractor and the distributor gave us discounts, our final bill was over $650. We contacted Rheem directly and they would not offer any help, other than supplying the part. Pretty ridiculous for unit less than 2 1/2 years old! We fear further costly breakdowns in the future. We would not advise anyone to purchase this product from Rheem or from this contractor. Based on Rheem responses, it seems that this could be an industry wide warranty problem. We believe it will only change, if the government institutes a better warranty standard in this industry. Three years ago, we researched this unit on this site. The Rheem unit was highly rated and owners had few complaints. Their heat pump ranking was 20 of 65. The Rheem heat pump product has gone down hill drastically since that time.
Date created: 2017-08-14 Name: George Withers
Location: Versailles, KY

"Leak in coils"
I have a 3 year old heat pumping the inside and outside coils have had leaks and had to be replaced is this normal?
Date created: 2017-06-16 Name: DWIGHT BREWER
Location: Emory, TX

"JUNK"
I bought a new house and it had Rheem air I have had nothing but trouble heat pump it came out of Mexico it is a real piece of junk it would blow the soder point and fix them and something else would blow I finally stop throwing money down a black hole Rheem and got a new outside air if I could sue Rheem I would !!!
Date created: 2017-05-28 Name: mf Ball
Location: Jax, FL

"Please stay away from this heat pump"
I purchased this heat pump and blower in 2012 it was a nothing but trouble after the 6th months, just the time the freon leaked out! Called Rhemm to report the problem and got a cold reponce, the unit seemed to shake itself to death on start up and was crazy loud! Come to find out about class action suit about the sames problem all unit have same problems on leaks, I have had dozens of service calls on this unit. Rhemm has been contacted many and many times. Nothing ever back positive! Replace with a Trane last week. If you buy a Rheem that's what you will get rheemed! Please look at all other brands!