Consumer Reviews of Rheem heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2014?

Read more about Rheem heat pumps

Date created: 2015-02-24 Name: William D. Vick
Location: Bailey, NC

"Rheem junk"
I got my Rheem unit on 9/07/2011 and already had two TXV valves put on it. I'm going to get the Attorney General to handler my problem. It's time to put a stop to this company that makes these units. I'm going to put the money to good use getting the Attorney General of North Carolina to take care of this.

Date created: 2015-02-16 Name: S Ross
Location: Tarpon Springs, FL

"Nothing but trouble"
Purchased this heat pump in October, 2010, and it has needed a new coil, new TXV valve, and now an expansion valve. I've been waiting forever for parts and have no heat. I replaced the coolant in the summer, suffered through very hot days and nights. This is a piece of junk! I will never purchase Rheem again. I would like my money back to purchase a unit that is dependable.

Date created: 2015-01-11 Name: A. Nicol
Location: Beloeil, Quebec, Canada

"30 years old and still performing well"
This 2.5T Rheem heat pump is a dinosaur that refuses to die. Condemned 4 years ago for a leaking line, it was emptied and vacuumed properly and then an anti leak and proper lubricant was added and it was filled with HC-22a. It heats my house until the outside temperature reaches minus 12C. It takes a basement 19C ambient temperature and raises it to a temperature that suits my expectations. It is actually minus 6C outside and the air coming out of the duct is a comfortable 31C . I keep touching wood for another ten years of loyal and good service.

Date created: 2014-12-12 Name: F. H. Burns
Location: Piedmont, AL

"So you need a heat pump."
If you want a new heat pump that will run 22 hours of 24, double or triple your electric bill, blow cold air when on heat and hot air when on cooling, buy a Rheem and don't be disappointed. Mine was installed June 20, 2013 and could not be used until a new expansion valve was ordered and installed. Good thing that we had ceiling fans to use. The Rheem replaced a 37-year-old General Electric pump that had refrigerant added 1 time and 1 outside fan motor replaced. The unit was replaced due to the reversing valve sticking. I would not recommend or buy another Rheem. My installer tried for weeks to get a factory rep to come and tell us nothing was wrong with the unit. As far as I am concerned, Rheem is just a piece of junk.

Date created: 2014-12-04 Name: SCOTT H
Location: WV

"Beware"
We have installed Rheem units since 1987. I mean, we used to install Rheem units. We have experienced around a 35% failure rate on Rheem equipment. We sell and install over 200 units per year. It's quite simple - bad TXV's, defective evaporation coils, and very poor and expensive electronics have forced us change brands. We now sell American Standard. We've had to return on 8 out of 175 this year. Most of the problems were our fault. We backed up and gave everyone that we put in a Rheem unit for a 5-year labor warranty at no cost. The only thing worse than a Rheem unit is the factory and distributors that wholesale it to your local dealer. If you have a problem that you cannot resolve with your local dealer, good luck. Spring 2019 can't come soon enough. If you have to pay for a Rheem replacement coil under warranty, you shouldn't have to pay more than $400- $500. Any more than that and you are getting hosed. Do your homework.

Date created: 2014-11-18 Name: Farrington
Location: Glendale, AZ

"Rheem heat pump - faulty product!"
We purchased this Rheem 5 ton heat/AC unit in October, 2011. On February 23, 2012, we had to call due to unit shutting off. The installers came out and it was the high limit switch tripping. On 3/20/2012, the unit was blowing out cold air. The installers came out and said the unit went into defrost. On 09/12/13 the unit was not blowing out cold air. The installers came out, the issue now is that the system is again low on pressure. On 12/28/13, the unit is going out and blowing cold air. The installers came out, this time the issue is low pressure. On 01/12/2014, the installers found the cap tube going to the suction line was cracked. On 02/05/2014, I made another call due to the unit not functioning. The installers found circuit board issues as well as, again, low pressure. On 11/18/2014, wow, another call on this same unit. The TXV going to the sensing bulb has broken! Okay, there is a real problem when you are spending more on your new unit than you did on your previous unit that was 16 years old! So lets recap: the company we used to purchase and install the unit no longer promotes the sales of Rheem as a result of faults like these. So where do we go from here? What are our options? Based on the pages and pages of bad reviews, it sounds to me as though Rheem needs to back up their product! What do you think? Lets see what they do to back up their bad product.

Date created: 2014-11-08 Name: Allan Andre
Location: Vavenby, BC

"Heat pump is expensive"
Heat-pump seems to have a hard time keeping up and the temperature has not even gone below 0 Celsius yet. It has to use auxiliary heat to warm the house up in the morning to recover 1.5 degrees. I believe I spent a bunch of money on something that does not work the way they claim. 0 C is 32 degrees F. I will not recommend anyone install one of these units anywhere.

Date created: 2014-09-06 Name: Charlie
Location: Florida

"Unsatisfied"
Replaced coil last year, leaked Freon out 4 times. Not good service.

Date created: 2014-09-06 Name: Waldo Bernal
Location: Gulfport, MS

"Negative, poor performance"
The unit was installed by Climate Control, Inc. of Gulfport, Mississippi, on 5/1/12 for $5,500. Failed on 7/12/14. Replaced coil, $1,100. Very unsatisfied with local agent (Climate Control, Inc). Seems factory should have the performance under warranty. The local vendor was unresponsive to the warranty complaint. Owned previous Rheem unit that worked well (post-Hurricane Katrina 2005), by different vendor.

Date created: 2014-07-07 Name: E. Hamilton
Location: Midland, Georgia

"Think twice buying this Rheem unit"
This unit was installed by the builder in 2009. Breakdowns are an annual summer event. Now, it's just outside it's 5 year parts warranty, and this is going to start getting expensive. I have two units, one for upstairs, one for down. Both units breakdown annually. This is absolutely insane. A neighbor of mine with the same unit had to already replace it.