Consumer Reviews of Rheem heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2017?

Read more about Rheem heat pumps

Date created: 2017-10-25 Name: Gary
Location: Fort Myers Beach, FL

"Rheem doesn't stand by thier product"
I had this Rheem unit installed by Warnky Heating and Cooling in February 2015 to avoid problems while we were away from the property. The installer gave a two year warranty on Labor. After 1 1/2 years, the unit broke down due to a faulty air handler mother board. It took almost two weeks to repair, but we had no cost because of the 2 year labor warranty. Less than year later, we had another major breakdown. The contractor's service man told us that the motherboard need replacing and that we had a leak in the Freon line. He though we had no Freon in the line and we would need 13 pound to charge it. Needless to say we were not happy! Since it was such a new unit and it sounded like it had the same problem in less than a year. We wanted to talk with the owner who sold us the unit. She had made verbal promises and email promises to help us in the future, if we had any problems with the unit or the installation. She was on vacation and never returned our calls or emails. After a week of calling their office everyday, the service manager had a talk with the owner about our situation. In the end, the problem was improperly diagnosed and it took over 6 weeks to repair. The contractor more than once dropped the ball! The problem was caused by the faulty factory installation. The mixing valve in the outside condenser unit was not installed properly and leaked. The unit lost all of the 13 lbs of $50/lb Freon due to this error in manufacturing. Although the contractor and the distributor gave us discounts, our final bill was over $650. We contacted Rheem directly and they would not offer any help, other than supplying the part. Pretty ridiculous for unit less than 2 1/2 years old! We fear further costly breakdowns in the future. We would not advise anyone to purchase this product from Rheem or from this contractor. Based on Rheem responses, it seems that this could be an industry wide warranty problem. We believe it will only change, if the government institutes a better warranty standard in this industry. Three years ago, we researched this unit on this site. The Rheem unit was highly rated and owners had few complaints. Their heat pump ranking was 20 of 65. The Rheem heat pump product has gone down hill drastically since that time.

Date created: 2017-08-14 Name: George Withers
Location: Versailles, KY

"Leak in coils"
I have a 3 year old heat pumping the inside and outside coils have had leaks and had to be replaced is this normal?

Date created: 2017-06-16 Name: DWIGHT BREWER
Location: Emory, TX

"JUNK"
I bought a new house and it had Rheem air I have had nothing but trouble heat pump it came out of Mexico it is a real piece of junk it would blow the soder point and fix them and something else would blow I finally stop throwing money down a black hole Rheem and got a new outside air if I could sue Rheem I would !!!

Date created: 2017-05-28 Name: mf Ball
Location: Jax, FL

"Please stay away from this heat pump"
I purchased this heat pump and blower in 2012 it was a nothing but trouble after the 6th months, just the time the freon leaked out! Called Rhemm to report the problem and got a cold reponce, the unit seemed to shake itself to death on start up and was crazy loud! Come to find out about class action suit about the sames problem all unit have same problems on leaks, I have had dozens of service calls on this unit. Rhemm has been contacted many and many times. Nothing ever back positive! Replace with a Trane last week. If you buy a Rheem that's what you will get rheemed! Please look at all other brands!

Date created: 2017-05-04 Name: rachel
Location: Cincinnati, OH

"Lost my ass in bills"
Unit installed had leak on factory isolation valve in first six months. Unit stuck in electric heat first winter cost me a fortune. Next spring unit defrost quit working and lumbered along not heating my house. Finally summer 2 came and another line repair and shot of has and it finally went a season without a breakdown. Next winter the auxiliary heat cos were discovered burned out. And replaced My utility costs have doubled since this has been installed and the downtime is intolerable.

Date created: 2017-03-13 Name: Don
Location: Texas

"Rheem is worthless"
Install 2013, its now 2017 and have been out thousands or dollars on repairs. Continued leaks. Both the inside and outside units have been replaced once. The coils on outside just replace again and were leaking when installed. Working on getting outside replaced again. The copper connections continue to leak and have to be soldered continually. I Was told that Rheem uses cheap sub standard copper from China and that some units are assembled in Mexico and are sub standard. Evidently seeing all the complaints, their must be some truth to all this. Rheem should step up and reimburse everyone that has had these same multiple problems. Read the reviews before buying. I should have. My installer no longer installs Rheem because of these problems. Too late for a lot of us.

Date created: 2017-03-11 Name: J. Geis
Location: Montgomery, AL

"Coil Failure due to Corrosion"
There is a class action lawsuit pending for the problem which we experienced. Ours is a 5-ton heat pump which has failed due to corrosion of the evaporator coils and the txv. The result was a loss of Freon, which caused the system to shut off due to a lack of system pressure. The nature of the connections to the copper evaporator coils and their susceptibility to corrosion was apparently known to Rheem at the time of manufacture. The legal documents in the suit indicate Rheem and its sister company RUUD chose to market a defective design, and now I'm one of thousands who will be investing in a new system as a result. Fyi, Consumer Reports lists Rheem, RUUD, and their sister company of Amana as being in a statistical tie for dead last in heat pump quality. My experience suggests that these ratings are warranted.

Date created: 2016-10-28 Name: D. Rivers
Location: Beaufort, SC

"Bad choice"
I purchased unit in 2011. I had to fork out over $700 in labor and Freon over the past 12 months. Unit is a piece of junk. The fan motor went bad, the defrost board went bad as well as other accessories. Got a 10-year warranty with parts but the labor is costly. Never again.

Date created: 2016-09-08 Name: Debbie
Location: Connecticut and Florida

"Poor quality and they know it"
I bought this unit in August of 2014. A month before it turned two it stopped working, The fan was still running but no cooling. The company that put it in did the service call and said that there is a problem with Rheem and other heat pumps because they used two metals that are corrosive to each other, copper and aluminum, in the coil connection. This is deteriorating and leaking refrigerant totally out of the system. At this time, August 2016, Rheem is paying for the new coil, but the owners are paying for the service call, labor and the refill of refrigerant. I am calling state deep and consumer reports, Department of Consumer Protection. I suggest you do too so we can all have a recall on this so it is free to us to fix.

Date created: 2016-08-27 Name: Harold
Location: Virginia

"Circuit board"
This will be the third circuit board put into my unit and the unit is not quite 2 years old. Is there such thing as a lemon law with these units? I bought Rheem because I thought they were good.