Consumer Reviews of Rheem heat pumps

Read more about Rheem heat pumps

Date created: 2016-04-14 Name: Bubba
Location: Kentucky

"Money pit"
Not very old unit and always needing repairs, a few hundred dollars every couple of weeks. Cannot seem to get it repaired. I've contacted the company telling them I think it's a lemon but they don't care. Let this be your warning - if you see the words Rheem on anything, hold onto your wallet and run away as fast as you can. In my opinion these products are junk, I don't even think they're allowed to be sold in Florida. That ought to tell you something .

Date created: 2016-02-25 Name: Tonya
Location: Gwynn Oak, MS

"Win place show"
I am now in the process of replacing my Rheem unit that is 22 years old. I have had the unit checked and maintained at least twice a year. I don't know about any other units but it appears to me that the unit must have been installed properly and the manufacturer parts were durable. I guess if it ain't broke don't fix it so I will replace my old unit with another Rheem unit. Any model suggestions?

Date created: 2016-02-19 Name: Gloria Patterson
Location: 1131 Windmill grove Circle

"Very disappointed"
Since I've had this heat pump I have had nothing but problems. I had to replace the fan expansion valve, they found burnt refrigerant and a burnt contact. I paid $5,000.00 and have put a thousand in it. I have it serviced every year and every time they do they find something else wrong. I was told that my electric bill will go down a lot but it went up by $100.00. I even purchased the Honeywell 8000 w/ humidity thermostat blue tube u-v light. Now I'm being told I need a new unit because I'm losing refrigerant.

Date created: 2016-02-13 Name: Rose knight
Location: Corinth, MS

"Home owner"
All we have had for the past year is trouble! High power bills and no heat. Service guy has been out at least 10 times, still not fixed!

Date created: 2016-02-01 Name: R. Sitton
Location: North Port, FL

"Junk! If you buy you will be sorry."
Condenser copper fitting weld leaked. No warranty on anything but replacement parts. No labor charges ever, even if the unit is new. No warranty on manufacturing defects ever. My unit cost $5000 and is only 4 years old. My cost for repairs was $717.63. After reading all these complaints try another company, but check the warranty very carefully.

Date created: 2015-10-18 Name: joe
Location: Bloomington

"Read this"
Some of these reviews are disturbing. I'd blame a lot of the issues on the installer side. I've sold over 1000 systems in the last two years. In a two year time frame I've seen about 24 warranty claims. 90% from my view were self-induced, poor install. Now on the heat pumps they typically get wired wrong because Rheem energizes on b vs other brands that use o terminal. The installer mess up the wiring and or doesn't hook up the purple wire which is the defrost command sign wire. In addition, the 2009-2013 models all have bad defrost sensors! The manufacturer has not had a recall, nor will they. Which I don't agree with. You'll see lots of complaints about capillary tubes or small copper pipes leaking or cracking. The number 1 cause of this is overcharged systems. The higher pressure in 410/couple that comes with overcharged systems. Something's going to give and the small cap tube blows. That's not the equipment's fault, that's the jack leg who installed it. This also will damage the diaphragm in the TXV, guess what now you need a TXV, and if the compressor was lucky it lives on. Otherwise it's been damaged and will need replacement. Proper voltage reading of amp draw would tell the contract that. In 2012/2013 Copeland changed the addictive package used in the compressor oil. This problem resulted in all equipment and gums up the TXV. You could replace it 100 times and it will not correct the problem. Your contract or will need to Zerol Ice additive to counter act the additive basically a neutralizer. If the heat pump is noisy in heating mode a verify charge is correct and B. 10-2013 models need the defrost board replaced along with the defrost sensor and ambient air sensor. It comes as a kit. I have a 15 SEER Rheem system. The only issue I had was the defrost board, which I replace l replaced under warranty. And to all these people complaining of no labor. That's bs. If the contractor was doing due diligence and through their local distribution center, labor can be applied for to help offset some of the end user costs. Rheem from my stand point had been very good about handling issues when we call or need labor and or parts. We've only replaced 1 unit due to DOA out of the box, a bad compressor. Again, no matter who makes the equipment the key to a healthy service life is the front end installation. Poor installs lead to parts breaking and poor technicians who simply rely on the blinking light should be shot. That's a parts changer who follows the light. Proper brazing, nitrogen flow, and pulling vacuum to 500 microns are key to the system's performance. Along with proper super heat and subcool. There are more R410/systems out there that are wrong because guys in the field charge them like they're a R22 system. The charge is critical! 1/2 ounce off can make or break system performance. I see it all the time. Rheem make a good product, it's the bad installers who give the product a bad rap. Hence, we see all the negative reviews on here. I personally put 42 systems in last year and have not gotten one call back to date, all Rheem. I'm just not buying it's the junk equipment issue it installer created problems. Known as HVAC hacks as we say.

Date created: 2015-05-22 Name: J. Harrell
Location: Bradenton, FL

"Buyers beware. Rheem is terrible!"
Buyers beware. Run away from this company and their horrible Rheem products! Do not fall for their phony “warranty” ploy. It will cost you in the long run. Here is how purchasing a defective poor quality product will cost you - $1000 in warranty repair work when the manufacturer, distributor, and installer will not stand behind their product. I purchased a new Rheem heat pump system from them 16 months ago. I have had nothing but problems from the beginning, and note that this is in sweltering Florida heat. The first night after installation it quit cooling. They sent a repair person out who said it was improperly installed, and supposedly fixed. It quit working again in the middle of the night. The next morning the service manager came out with a refrigerant detector to find the condensing unit was defective and leaking refrigerant. They had to schedule another crew to come out and install another unit, of course with the same date of manufacture as the defective one so I am concerned about quality at this point. Note that I am missing a lot of work during this time. I acknowledge this is reflective on Rheem’s poor quality control and only partially on AC Warehouse with their first poor analysis of the problem up until now, but it gets worse. Finally operational, I noticed that they did not properly accommodate the higher airflow on the new air handler by adding more return air ducting and grille(s). Now the return air is noisy and causing the filters to be ineffective and likely causing coil freezing, which kills efficiency. It is now 16 months later and the condensing unit has once again failed. When I contacted AC Warehouse, they acknowledged my ten-year warranty on the equipment, but a service call will cost $99 to check it out. After the technician showed up, he said the system was very low on refrigerant and probably leaking based on the level. He added 3 lbs of R410-A and charged me $49 per pound; even though it only costs them no more than $5 per pound (look it up online). I asked if he would then use the detector to find the leak like the first time, but the answer was no. He will add a dye pack to find the leak instead; because that is the only way they could be assured to receive their warranty costs for a defective part back from the manufacturer. That is nonsense. Leak detectors are readily available, and will easily find big system leaks. Oh, by the way the dye pack costs $150, and he did not have one so I have to take time off work and meet him at my house the next day so he could inject it into the system. I’m now out $350+ for a “warranty” item, but AC Warehouse sure is not going to absorb any costs! I was told that the dye would have to work through the system in 10-14 days, but assured that the system would still cool during that time. I was also told that I would not be responsible for any more costs as it would be covered under warranty. Well the system quit the next day. I called AC Warehouse and waited 2-1/2 hours to get a return call and they sent the technician out again. He immediately found the leak in the heat pump reversing valve, but could not tell me when another could be replaced, or answer any of my questions. I asked that they simply bring me another condensing unit as this one is practically defective as the first one. Answer no, unless Rheem reimburses them. I asked if he would charge my system so my family did not have to sleep in a 88 degree house. Answer no. I was then told that if the valve were to be replaced, it was covered under warranty, but not the labor to install it. This was completely against what I was originally told. The next day, I am told that the new valve is $600 to install, but the part is free. The distributor (Gemaire) will not accept any responsibility for replacing defective products they sell either. It is all about AC Warehouse making sure they make their money, and who cares about the customer? If Rheem stood behind their products, they would reimburse AC Warehouse for their labor to install this defective part or replace the unit. If AC Warehouse cared about their customers, they would install the defective part free of charge as it is in no way the customer’s fault! And where is the Rheem distributor Gemaire? AC Warehouse is making out like thieves. They do not have to pay for the part, and get to charge the customer exorbitant service fees for warranty repairs. I can only surmise that they like selling substandard defective equipment as they are getting paid well for fixing it, all on the customers’ money. The sad thing is that I actually run an HVAC manufacturing operation and I understand that mechanical things sometimes fail, even under the best of circumstances. However, our business would never survive if I simply told our customers that it is your problem, not mine that my equipment was defective. Sometimes businesses simply need to step up to the plate and accept responsibility, even if it costs them a little money. I guess there are still some companies that think it is okay to avoid that responsibility. My advice is to stay away from these.

Date created: 2015-05-18 Name: karen Simpson
Location: United States

"Don't buy Rheem anything. Boycott them."
My heat pump is 2 years old, and still under the Rheem crappy warranty. They knowingly used defective copper in their coil unit and have had numerous complaints, according to my service man. My unit continuously runs out of refrigerant and has to be serviced. Winter, summer, it doesn't matter; it leaks out through the faulty copper coils and you, the consumer, are responsible for labor, refrigerant, everything except the coils. They'll replace the coils, but you have to pay the labor charges, to the tune of $300-500 over what they will cover for their own screw up. So, after paying in the neighborhood of $3,000-$5000 to buy the piece of crap in the first place, just be aware that your costs don't end there. Mine was less than 1 year old when I discovered there was no refrigerant in it and it had to be charged up. Then, this past winter it leaked out again, although I didn't find out until today. I ended up paying over $300 per month for heat bills because of Rheem's faulty copper coils. So, today, even though it's under full warranty, I'm being charged around $200 to, once again, have refrigerant put in it. So, all consumers, beware of any Rheem product! They use faulty pieces in their manufacturing and refuse to accept their own full responsibility. I'm not the idiot that tried to screw the public by knowingly using shitty copper in the unit, I'm just the idiot that bought Rheem. Why should I or you have to pay for Rheem's stupidity? Please post to all social media and get the word out that Rheem screws their customers and doesn't care.

Date created: 2015-03-26 Location: Tampa, FLorida

"My central air conditoner and how i appreciate it"
I have owned my central air conditioner for almost three years. I like it because the outside unit is very quiet even on start up and the efficiency it has provided me has lowered my power bill by almost fifteen per cent on average. I know its trivial but the Rheem green color is not my favorite but other than that nothing is not to like. I have had to have a repair done but it was only a swollen capacitor and was replaced promptly by my dealer. I would definitely recommend this brand over any I have ever owned. The combination of quiet, efficiency and also the fact that my neighbors have also been Rheem customers for years all make this a no brainer. Of course the fact that my dealer seems to have access to parts rapidly is a tribute to the distributor as well . Just like that Rheem has a multi functional efficient team behind it as well.

Date created: 2015-02-24 Name: William D. Vick
Location: Bailey, NC

"Rheem junk"
I got my Rheem unit on 9/07/2011 and already had two TXV valves put on it. I'm going to get the Attorney General to handler my problem. It's time to put a stop to this company that makes these units. I'm going to put the money to good use getting the Attorney General of North Carolina to take care of this.