Consumer Reviews of Rheem heat pumps

Read more about Rheem heat pumps

Date created: 2017-05-04 Name: rachel
Location: Cincinnati, OH

"Lost my ass in bills"
Unit installed had leak on factory isolation valve in first six months. Unit stuck in electric heat first winter cost me a fortune. Next spring unit defrost quit working and lumbered along not heating my house. Finally summer 2 came and another line repair and shot of has and it finally went a season without a breakdown. Next winter the auxiliary heat cos were discovered burned out. And replaced My utility costs have doubled since this has been installed and the downtime is intolerable.

Date created: 2017-03-13 Name: Don
Location: Texas

"Rheem is worthless"
Install 2013, its now 2017 and have been out thousands or dollars on repairs. Continued leaks. Both the inside and outside units have been replaced once. The coils on outside just replace again and were leaking when installed. Working on getting outside replaced again. The copper connections continue to leak and have to be soldered continually. I Was told that Rheem uses cheap sub standard copper from China and that some units are assembled in Mexico and are sub standard. Evidently seeing all the complaints, their must be some truth to all this. Rheem should step up and reimburse everyone that has had these same multiple problems. Read the reviews before buying. I should have. My installer no longer installs Rheem because of these problems. Too late for a lot of us.

Date created: 2017-03-11 Name: J. Geis
Location: Montgomery, AL

"Coil Failure due to Corrosion"
There is a class action lawsuit pending for the problem which we experienced. Ours is a 5-ton heat pump which has failed due to corrosion of the evaporator coils and the txv. The result was a loss of Freon, which caused the system to shut off due to a lack of system pressure. The nature of the connections to the copper evaporator coils and their susceptibility to corrosion was apparently known to Rheem at the time of manufacture. The legal documents in the suit indicate Rheem and its sister company RUUD chose to market a defective design, and now I'm one of thousands who will be investing in a new system as a result. Fyi, Consumer Reports lists Rheem, RUUD, and their sister company of Amana as being in a statistical tie for dead last in heat pump quality. My experience suggests that these ratings are warranted.

Date created: 2016-10-28 Name: D. Rivers
Location: Beaufort, SC

"Bad choice"
I purchased unit in 2011. I had to fork out over $700 in labor and Freon over the past 12 months. Unit is a piece of junk. The fan motor went bad, the defrost board went bad as well as other accessories. Got a 10-year warranty with parts but the labor is costly. Never again.

Date created: 2016-09-08 Name: Debbie
Location: Connecticut and Florida

"Poor quality and they know it"
I bought this unit in August of 2014. A month before it turned two it stopped working, The fan was still running but no cooling. The company that put it in did the service call and said that there is a problem with Rheem and other heat pumps because they used two metals that are corrosive to each other, copper and aluminum, in the coil connection. This is deteriorating and leaking refrigerant totally out of the system. At this time, August 2016, Rheem is paying for the new coil, but the owners are paying for the service call, labor and the refill of refrigerant. I am calling state deep and consumer reports, Department of Consumer Protection. I suggest you do too so we can all have a recall on this so it is free to us to fix.

Date created: 2016-08-27 Name: Harold
Location: Virginia

"Circuit board"
This will be the third circuit board put into my unit and the unit is not quite 2 years old. Is there such thing as a lemon law with these units? I bought Rheem because I thought they were good.

Date created: 2016-04-14 Name: Bubba
Location: Kentucky

"Money pit"
Not very old unit and always needing repairs, a few hundred dollars every couple of weeks. Cannot seem to get it repaired. I've contacted the company telling them I think it's a lemon but they don't care. Let this be your warning - if you see the words Rheem on anything, hold onto your wallet and run away as fast as you can. In my opinion these products are junk, I don't even think they're allowed to be sold in Florida. That ought to tell you something .

Date created: 2016-02-25 Name: Tonya
Location: Gwynn Oak, MS

"Win place show"
I am now in the process of replacing my Rheem unit that is 22 years old. I have had the unit checked and maintained at least twice a year. I don't know about any other units but it appears to me that the unit must have been installed properly and the manufacturer parts were durable. I guess if it ain't broke don't fix it so I will replace my old unit with another Rheem unit. Any model suggestions?

Date created: 2016-02-19 Name: Gloria Patterson
Location: 1131 Windmill grove Circle

"Very disappointed"
Since I've had this heat pump I have had nothing but problems. I had to replace the fan expansion valve, they found burnt refrigerant and a burnt contact. I paid $5,000.00 and have put a thousand in it. I have it serviced every year and every time they do they find something else wrong. I was told that my electric bill will go down a lot but it went up by $100.00. I even purchased the Honeywell 8000 w/ humidity thermostat blue tube u-v light. Now I'm being told I need a new unit because I'm losing refrigerant.

Date created: 2016-02-13 Name: Rose knight
Location: Corinth, MS

"Home owner"
All we have had for the past year is trouble! High power bills and no heat. Service guy has been out at least 10 times, still not fixed!