Consumer Reviews of Payne heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2018?

Read more about Payne heat pumps

Date created: 2008-09-09 Name: John Watson
Location: KY

"Terrible unit Payne"
Unit went out just after the one year. Of course they will not pay to have it replaced just for the part. Something needs to be done about an industry that only warrants a part for one year. Not Recommended Payne or Carrier, both junk !

Date created: 2008-08-26 Name: Gene G
Location: Langhorne, PA

"Pyne H/P"
I have owned my heat pump for 8 yrs the only problem I had was with the defrost solenoid switch to witch I changed myself. It is a very simple unit to fix. Shop online to find parts and save hundreds of $$$$$
Date created: 2008-08-17 Name: Aryy
Location: Columbus, Ohio

"PAYNE HEAT PUMPS GETTING BAD RAP!"
I have had a Payne heat pump with a gas furnace for over 9 years with only issue this weekend. The pan went out on the heat pump. My heat pump performs stellar in the winter down to 30 degrees then I switch to 90% gas furnace. These units are made by Carrier / Bryant they are getting a bad rap they are just as good as any other one out there. The problem is installers not caring about what they are doing, make sure you get a Nate certified tech or donít do business with the company period.
Date created: 2008-07-05 Name: Mike Stewart
Location: PA

"Mike & Willa - Payne Owner"
I installed a Payne Heat Pump a few years back - running next to a oil hot air furnace - the heat pump cools in the summer and heats in the winter (no electric heat - just air transfer) - this unit runs fine. I am very anal when I braze and evacuate - sounds to me like your issues are with the installation contractor not the product. I run a duel-fuel system - also have a oil fired hot water system for domestic hot water. I use one tank of oil a year - not bad! I'm getting ready to install a 2.5 ton Payne heat pump for another person - Just think if everyone went this route - I've had the rest - buy one of the best!
Date created: 2008-06-04 Name: M. Morgan
Location: North Carolina

"The Worst I've ever Had!!"
Unit is only 3-years old and the fan/coil unit went bad on a hot summer day. Cost to replace the unit, $787.34, I bought a new Goodman for $922.18.
Date created: 2008-05-28 Name: J. Smith
Location: Florida

"Payne in the Butt"
This thing is only 5 years old. Worked fine, then the control board blew up. That was "fixed" and now I have more control board problems. I almost want to replace it, but shouldn't have to yet. I certainly won't buy another Payne. The badge on the outside says "Carrier" but it was really made by Payne. Don't be fooled!!
Date created: 2008-05-23 Name: Dave

"Very Satisfied"
Great heat pump, never had any problems with it, I think no matter what you go with their is going to be different problems with each brand name. Installation is a big factor I think in getting the best efficiency possible
Date created: 2008-05-21 Name: Andrew Grossman
Location: Phoenix, Arizona

My home warranty company replaced my 20 year old Lennox heat pump with a brand new heat pump from Payne. I was very concerned at first because I had heard awful things about Payne, and it was the cheapest brand they could find. However I have not had one problem with my Payne heat pump in the last 3 years, it has kept my house cool in the 120 degree days here in Phoenix AZ, and it keeps the house warm in the winter. I have to admit my first impression of the unit was wrong, this Payne heat pump has been flawless!
Date created: 2008-05-03 Name: G. Gambino
Location: Langhorne, PA

With the exception of a defrost solenoid it performs great.
Date created: 2008-04-17 Name: Wayne and Alicia
Location: Spartanburg, SC

Had a Payne system installed 6 years ago. Worked great the first year, and after that, we had to leave our unit running constantly in the summer to keep the house cool. Had to keep the heat on 60 degrees, and all upstairs vents closed, to keep from sweating. Now in its 6th year, its gone. It leaked all freon out, circuit board went out and compressor is gone. Technician said $1700-$1800 to fix it. We found a Goodman for $2000. All new unit. I think we'll throw out the "payne" and go with something that's not a "payne"