Consumer Reviews of Payne heat pumps

Read more about Payne heat pumps

Date created: 2008-05-28 Name: J. Smith
Location: Florida

"Payne in the Butt"
This thing is only 5 years old. Worked fine, then the control board blew up. That was "fixed" and now I have more control board problems. I almost want to replace it, but shouldn't have to yet. I certainly won't buy another Payne. The badge on the outside says "Carrier" but it was really made by Payne. Don't be fooled!!

Date created: 2008-05-23 Name: Dave

"Very Satisfied"
Great heat pump, never had any problems with it, I think no matter what you go with their is going to be different problems with each brand name. Installation is a big factor I think in getting the best efficiency possible

Date created: 2008-05-21 Name: Andrew Grossman
Location: Phoenix, Arizona

My home warranty company replaced my 20 year old Lennox heat pump with a brand new heat pump from Payne. I was very concerned at first because I had heard awful things about Payne, and it was the cheapest brand they could find. However I have not had one problem with my Payne heat pump in the last 3 years, it has kept my house cool in the 120 degree days here in Phoenix AZ, and it keeps the house warm in the winter. I have to admit my first impression of the unit was wrong, this Payne heat pump has been flawless!

Date created: 2008-05-03 Name: G. Gambino
Location: Langhorne, PA

With the exception of a defrost solenoid it performs great.

Date created: 2008-04-17 Name: Wayne and Alicia
Location: Spartanburg, SC

Had a Payne system installed 6 years ago. Worked great the first year, and after that, we had to leave our unit running constantly in the summer to keep the house cool. Had to keep the heat on 60 degrees, and all upstairs vents closed, to keep from sweating. Now in its 6th year, its gone. It leaked all freon out, circuit board went out and compressor is gone. Technician said $1700-$1800 to fix it. We found a Goodman for $2000. All new unit. I think we'll throw out the "payne" and go with something that's not a "payne"

Date created: 2008-04-06 Name: Jack Donohew
Location: Gaithersburg, Maryland

The home warranty company purchased a Payne unit when my previous heat pump stopped working and could not be repaired. They bought the cheapest heat pump on the market. Since installation, the the outside fan/coil unit, the inside air handler, the inside coils, and the outside defroster have had to be replaced. Each year is something else. And the electric bills keeps going up especially in this last year.

Date created: 2008-03-06 Name: Peter Carriere
Location: Massachusetts

I have read the comments from people who were not satisfied with there heat pumps. It appears to me that it's not the equipment that failed it is the work of the technicians that installed them. In all fairness to Payne I post this as an experienced contractor.

Date created: 2008-01-24 Name: J Henderson
Location: TR, SC

We've had our heat pump for 4 years and 3 months and it has been broken 6 times as of today!

Date created: 2007-05-15 Name: R. Musick
Location: Whitesburg, GA.

Replaced a Lennox unit with a Payne. Two weeks into service compressor froze up. Waiting on compressor. 90 Degrees in house. This is after all freon leaked out after installation.

Date created: 2007-01-02 Name: Stephanie Fulmer
Location: Pilot Point, Texas

Frosted up in 51 degree weather. Runs constantly and is making funny noised. Defroster is bad and low on freon. Second service in less than 4 month. Hate it and hate the company that installed it - A/C Clinic. They have 52 excuses why it does these weird things and a profeesional that has serviced every other brand I have owned says I have huge problems and is coming to work on it since the installers and my builder cannot get it right. Probably buying a new unit. Yay. Cannot BELIEVE the cost of my utility bills with this new unit - my installers act like I have lived under a rock for 40 years and never had a home this size much less a heat pump.....