Consumer Reviews of Payne heat pumps

Read more about Payne heat pumps

Date created: 2010-02-06 Name: D. Reed

"Only minor repair ($25) in six years"
Entire system installed Dec 2003. Only problems have been with the contractor - which is inexpensive and easily serviced by any competent diy person. The first failure was caused by a bug that crawled into its contacts and got fried (this was my first shot at "debugging" a heat pump, this time quite literally), and the second time its low voltage coil shorted out and blew the fuse on the control board. Aside from that, my unit seems to have the same pluses and minuses of previous heat pumps I've lived with. Sounds like a lot of the problems reported here are due to the installers, not the product.

Date created: 2010-01-26 Name: Matthew R Borden
Location: Pennsylvania

"Payne systems"
I am a heating - cooling contractor in Pennsylvania. We offer our customers Payne as a second "economy option". When the budget does not allow for Trane/American Standard - our premium brand. That being said, we have had very, very few problems with the product. It has proven to be reliable & efficient at a very reasonable cost and is certainly a much better product than most if not all of the budget brands. Unfortunately, shoddy workmanship runs rampant in the business and this is most likely the cause of majority of the complaints that you read on this site. Your newly installed equipment will be doomed right from the start if proper procedures & workmanship are not strictly applied. Choose your contractor wisely! The lowest price is not the best value! Hope this helps.

Date created: 2010-01-06 Name: Dummy for trusting

"Bait and switch"
Bought a Carrier and got a Payne. I paid for the Carrier and got the Payne. Was told they are the same. The parts are more expensive and it's broken. He forgot to tell me the Payne had a 1 year warranty instead of the 5 year with the Payne.

Date created: 2009-12-22 Name: Michael Nichols

"Avoid the Payne"
Outside heat pump is a Payne. Has not heated well since installation. Old unit worked better. High electric bills. Too many technicians to count. Have had freon or r22 added and removed by different techs. No parts ever replaced yet (We'll see with today's visit). Tech feels the heat strip heat coming from the vents and declares unit is working nicely to him. (Had that happen several times) It does seem to cool okay in summer so I don't have them come out until it's winter each year.

Date created: 2009-11-18 Name: B. Batleman

"My Payne works great !!"
Wow....it's all about the installation! I have a payne that was installed in 1999 and have not had one issue at all. That bad smeel when the heat comes on is typical for new units, but seasonally your burning off the dust on the coils....when was the last time you had your ductwork cleaned? Pets? They are Carriers essentailly and are what we call a builders model. Otherwise the value beat the heck out of Carrier which this unit replaced...after it died, but we did get 13 years out of that unit. If you think spending more money will get you a better unit then your being foolish.....the Carriers, Bryants, Rheem they all can have issues but for more cost.....I'll get another Payne in heartbeat and keep my money in the bank.....good luck

Date created: 2009-11-09 Name: Tuck L.
Location: Columbia, SC

"Bad Unit and Service from Sears"
18 months and this unit has been nothing but trouble. Called Sears several times and they said the power source needs to be upgraded. I asked why wasn't this done when installed. Their reply it's not part of the contract. So I'm stuck with a failing unit. Carrier/Payne it's all the same - bad. Don't deal with Sears or payne in the Columbia, sc area unless you enjoy pain....lost rental income due to this unit failing. With all these complaints I expect to hear a major class-action or recall on this product. Glad I didn't buy the $5,000 dollar Carrier unit Sears was trying to sell.

Date created: 2009-10-10 Name: M. Thornton

"JUNK"
Have Payne units in both upstairs and downstairs. Purchased downstairs in '04, replaced coil '07, again in '09...60 days out of warranty. Manufacturer agreed to go "halfsies" with me on the cost of the new coil. My upstairs unit...7 years old...sparked and almost burned down the house in the middle of the night. Had to evac the family, 3 alarm fire at the fire station, only to tell me the air handler had sparked. Very lucky! Can not wait to replace these heaps of useless, costly, and dangerous scrap metal!

Date created: 2009-08-25 Name: s Bryant

"15 S.E.E.R. Payne Owner"
Sorry to hear the bad reviews, I had my Payne unit installed and have been totally satisfied , my electric bill dropped 25% from that old Trane I used to have and with the new refrigerant "puron'' I feel much more comfortable and the difference in noise level is so much sometimes I can't tell if it's even running . I even recieved a certificate for a tax credit this year Maybe it's in the installation , all I can say is Carrier Corp. has done a good job with Payne

Date created: 2009-08-10 Name: T. Smith

"15 visits later and all parts replaced"
Ok 15 visits from my repairman.... every part except the shell replaced (including the condensor).... Then .. I started replacing the parts I replaced 1 year ago.... its a payne (pain)... Just like the name says. I own 2 heat pumps.. the rheem I own has only had 1 problem... the run cap is out.. so.. in my opinion payne is not the brand to buy. stay away from payne heat pumps!!!!!! Honestly.. it will make you regret it later down the road.

Date created: 2009-03-13 Name: T. Smith
Location: Georgetown, KY

"Payne strikes again"
The time has come! Again... and again.. I have had the repair people over 11 times for my Payne heat pump. Finally the last part that could go bad has... my compressor went out. so, after every part has been replaced (and I mean every single part), and 1300.00 in labor (not covered under warranty), it is finished. so my Payne unit has cost me double what I paid for it. Also the extra 600.00 in electric bills because the compressor did a type of slow burn until it finally tripped the breaker. one postive note... heh.. they did cover the parts under warranty =/