Consumer Reviews of Payne heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2018?

Read more about Payne heat pumps

Date created: 2010-06-10 Name: G. Herbert

"Payne Heat Pump"
We bought this heat pump from Sears in 2008 March. In August 2008, we had to call because it wasn't cooling. There was a pinhole leak & all the freon had leaked out. It was repaired. I told the rep. that I prefer a new unit since that one was defective. We paid 4000.00 dollars for it. I was not given an answer. It is June 2010 and the same thing has happened. The rep. said they would send someone to fix it. This is the third day temps in the 90s & still no air. My husband has heart trouble & this is not good for him.

Date created: 2010-06-04 Name: JD Francis

"Home owner"
So far, not too many problems with unit but the customer service is really bad. The unit came from the factory with wrong txv valve. Payne had me go pick up the valve to pay for it then only refunded me only the cost of the valve. No taxes. No service calls. No labor for their mistake!!!!!!!
Date created: 2010-05-11 Name: R. Brady

"PAYNE IS A PAIN"
The unit was in this condo when I bought it. The compressor went in April 07 and I replaced the whole unit. The compressor went again the first week of May. I was told Payne/Carrier would replace the compressor but not pay for the labor! Also had a leak in the coil on the furnace which caused loss of freon. That unit was also here when I bought this place. I am a retired senior living on a fixed income and I can't afford this! I will never buy a Payne or Carrier product again not will I recommend it.
Date created: 2010-04-24 Name: M. Williams

"Payne is a Pain!"
Unit has been out of service 6 times in less than 2 years. Will never own another Payne unit. Now, I'm not sure if it's the unit or the service technicians who installed the unit. Either way, it is definitely a Pain!
Date created: 2010-03-24 Name: Greg Gallagher

"Big Dissappointment"
First off, this unit uses non-standard air filters of 21.5 x 16.25. So had to special order filters which were much more expensive than going to the conventional stores. Second, not more than 5 months later the compressor blew along with a cap. So this high efficiency HVAC I just bought cost me quadruple the normal months heating bill.
Date created: 2010-03-09 Name: E. Naramore

"No heat in dead of winter,burning kerosene heater. payne's a pain. i could cry."
Has not kept house warm unless on about 75 degrees. Copper line came unwelded and all the freon leaked out after we had it 2 months. Repairman fixed it. After one year warranty, pump stopped heating. Repairman wanted $300 for heating element. We will have paid over $11,000 when we finish paying for this heat pump, not counting what future repairs may be. So here we sit with a kerosene heater paying $4.25 a gallon and a space heater. I am 79 years old and need help. My social security will not stretch to repair this . HHHHHHHHHHHHelp PPPPPlease!
Date created: 2010-02-06 Name: D. Reed

"Only minor repair ($25) in six years"
Entire system installed Dec 2003. Only problems have been with the contractor - which is inexpensive and easily serviced by any competent diy person. The first failure was caused by a bug that crawled into its contacts and got fried (this was my first shot at "debugging" a heat pump, this time quite literally), and the second time its low voltage coil shorted out and blew the fuse on the control board. Aside from that, my unit seems to have the same pluses and minuses of previous heat pumps I've lived with. Sounds like a lot of the problems reported here are due to the installers, not the product.
Date created: 2010-01-26 Name: Matthew R Borden
Location: Pennsylvania

"Payne systems"
I am a heating - cooling contractor in Pennsylvania. We offer our customers Payne as a second "economy option". When the budget does not allow for Trane/American Standard - our premium brand. That being said, we have had very, very few problems with the product. It has proven to be reliable & efficient at a very reasonable cost and is certainly a much better product than most if not all of the budget brands. Unfortunately, shoddy workmanship runs rampant in the business and this is most likely the cause of majority of the complaints that you read on this site. Your newly installed equipment will be doomed right from the start if proper procedures & workmanship are not strictly applied. Choose your contractor wisely! The lowest price is not the best value! Hope this helps.
Date created: 2010-01-06 Name: Dummy for trusting

"Bait and switch"
Bought a Carrier and got a Payne. I paid for the Carrier and got the Payne. Was told they are the same. The parts are more expensive and it's broken. He forgot to tell me the Payne had a 1 year warranty instead of the 5 year with the Payne.
Date created: 2009-12-22 Name: Michael Nichols

"Avoid the Payne"
Outside heat pump is a Payne. Has not heated well since installation. Old unit worked better. High electric bills. Too many technicians to count. Have had freon or r22 added and removed by different techs. No parts ever replaced yet (We'll see with today's visit). Tech feels the heat strip heat coming from the vents and declares unit is working nicely to him. (Had that happen several times) It does seem to cool okay in summer so I don't have them come out until it's winter each year.