Consumer Reviews of Payne heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2018?

Read more about Payne heat pumps

Date created: 2010-12-11 Name: Ritch
Location: Indianapolis

"Loud noise from Payne heat pump"
Brand New Payne Heat Pump installed and it's defrost mode is so loud that we can't sleep. Payne refuses to fix it, despite the numerous complaints found on the internet. They claim it's normal and if you don't like then spend another $225.00 to put in a different circut board. I'm looking into filing a class action suite against them.

Date created: 2010-12-05 Name: paul

"AC HEAT"
LIKE THE HEAT PUMP --DONT LIKE THE NAME//PAYNE//SOUNDS LIKE IT IS GOING TO BE A PAYNE IN -YOU KNOW WHAT WISH THEY WOULD CHANGE THE NAME OF IT
Date created: 2010-10-20 Name: R. Favata
Location: Cocoa, FL

"Mr. & Mrs Robert Favata"
We purchased a new heat pump 18 Mo. ago. During our 6 Mo. checkup they found a large leak in the coil.The installer is replacing the coil today.We don't have to pay for the coil, but we do have to pay for the installation and the collant that leaked out. We feel after paying 3,500.00 dollars only 18 mo. ago we should not have to pay anything. We feel we should be reembersed. for these coasts. We would like your feed back on this matter. Thank You The Favat's
Date created: 2010-09-21 Name: C T
Location: Jacksonville, FL

"Package unit heat pump"
The new Payne package units are quite impressive. I install for a living (10+ years). The reason I like them is they have a tin-plated coil and in Florida that can help coil leak problems. They also are engineered to be serviced and troubleshot...every major component is accessible through one panel that you can remove without interfering with system function. This is a big advantage that few other models have. They also use Copeland scroll compressors which are the top standard.
Date created: 2010-09-16 Name: A. Aguayo
Location: Warner Robins, GA

"4 years of good service"
We have 3 Payne 2006 model heatpumps. They all cool and heat great. The temperature manages to stay within 1-2 degrees year round. In the summer the humidity stays under 50%. We once had a leak in the evaporator of the 3 ton unit; it was covered under warranty. Later on the 2 ton unit began blowing out thermostat fuses, we had someone repair the fualty wiring. Laer down the road,someone steped on the liguid line and the unit developed a leak at a bolt type connection. The connection hadn't been tightend like it should during installation. After having those problem fixed the heatpumps work great again. They get the coils cleaned every 6 months, the blower every year and the filter are replaced as neccessary since they cost about $9 a piece.
Date created: 2010-08-23 Name: K Millhouse
Location: St Clairsille, Ohio

"Compressor"
Less than 3 years and we have called the installer 3 times for repair. The final repair was the compressor and another part that cost us over one thousand dollars for repair. A unit under 3 years old should NOT go bad so quickly.
Date created: 2010-07-21 Name: Mike
Location: Washington, DC

"Payne is great"
I own an HVAC company in the Washington DC area and I install Paynes on a weekly basis. Just about every issue here is due to poor installation. When you purchase a Payne/Carrier/Bryant unit, the evap coil is the same. They do not switch the box. The color the coil they use the same adp coil. The compressor as well as valves are all the same. Biggest diff is the color. What do you see on tv commercials for Trane and Carrier? I sell alot of Trane. In my opinion, they are the best for the little things they do for the installer, tilting the valves etc. but cost the most due to the rep and high consumer report ratings. You will almost never recoup the energy savings costs. By the time you do, the system will be due for replacement. You rarely if ever see a commercial for Payne which keeps costs down. All of the units have the 10 year warranty now so compressor replacements and other parts should have been done under warranty and typically when you have a unit installed a reputable company will give you a 1 year labor warranty and with the new r410 refrigerant older line sets that are soldered need to be replaced due to the higher pressures and newer line sets as long as sied properly can be flushed with r11 or another flushing agent to remove any residue and oil from the old unit which will prevent any compressor sludging or txv clogging. Payne is a great value esp with these tough economic times. I push Payne to any customer on a budget but if your looking for highest efficiency variable speed top of the line, stick with Trane or Carriers infinity series both are amazing systems.
Date created: 2010-06-18 Name: Hal

"Dud"
Unit was installed using old line sets, so the gas kept leaking. The installer patched it three times in 2 years before admitting he should have used new to begin with and replaced the high pressure line. There were various other problems with the system, and now the big one - the compressor has seized up on a 100-degree day. Not a very good lifespan when you consider that the old Carrier that this unit replaced had lasted for 28 years. Payne should be spelled P-A-I-N.
Date created: 2010-06-18 Name: M. Wild

"Payne Heat Pump"
I have not had any problems out of my Payne/Carrier unit that wasn't my own fault. I have kids and pets so there's alot of dust and pet hair so my filter has to be cleaned weekly to biweekly, and the inside filter/coils had to be cleaned this year. I've also had to clean the drain pipe out yearly because it would get clogged and shut the compressor off until I learned to just pour some bleach water into it monthly to clean out the grime which can lead to mold.
Date created: 2010-06-10 Name: G. Herbert

"Payne Heat Pump"
We bought this heat pump from Sears in 2008 March. In August 2008, we had to call because it wasn't cooling. There was a pinhole leak & all the freon had leaked out. It was repaired. I told the rep. that I prefer a new unit since that one was defective. We paid 4000.00 dollars for it. I was not given an answer. It is June 2010 and the same thing has happened. The rep. said they would send someone to fix it. This is the third day temps in the 90s & still no air. My husband has heart trouble & this is not good for him.