Consumer Reviews of Payne heat pumps

Read more about Payne heat pumps

Date created: 2013-02-26 Name: Vickie
Location: Advance, NC

"Royal PAIN"
Unit installed apx 1 yr ago. Have had 3 service calls on it. One was for the unit freezing. Tech said sometimes that is common. We just need to take a mallot and bang the outside of it, until the ice comes off. How stupid is that.....and what happens if something else breaks because we are banging the outside? In 30 years, this is our 3 heat pump. We have had more problems with this unit than the others all together. Maybe we should call the tech. at 2am to come and bang the ice off...see how he likes it. We did not even want this unit, but was told that we had to take it because of out home warrenty. do not, I repeat, do not install this heat pump. The aux. light runs quite often....and....it never gets warm in the house. Just bank on it...yeah, right!

Date created: 2012-10-30 Name: Harold Smith
Location: Charlotte, NC

"Payne is a pain"
Had a payne hvac new unit installed 5 years ago under home warranty. Have had to replace some computer chip in the air handler twice (at 500 a pop) and the heater fan has failed for the second time this past week. ac guy wants 1,335 to replace the fan this time. Save your money and go with any brand other than Payne.

Date created: 2012-10-18 Name: ROSS
Location: Charlotte Michigan

"16 SEER AIR TO AIR HEAT PUMP"
I installed a payne system last year and if you have a problem with yours, it wasn't installed correctly. Payne is the cheaper version of carrier. Same distributor and most components are the same. I installed trane equipment for 10 years and payne is the way to go. I heat my house for 2/3 of the heating season with payne and I will always be for something that is just as good but cheaper. Cut you lp bill in 2/3. How fast do you think it would pay itself off. Buy the highest seer available. It's still cheaper than other name brands. My balance point is 34 degrees. If you own one don't set it back it will blow cold during defrost.

Date created: 2012-05-31 Name: Paul Tenney
Location: Grovetown Ga.

"Sears Heating and cooling"
We have had the heat pump for 4 years and in the last 3 weeks it has frozen up 2 times. Service calls range in the 90.00 to just come out. My wife is on Social Security and I am on S.S.D. So we are on a very tight budget without any room for surprises. We paid $4056.00 4 years ago on a " this price is only good today." We live in Georgia and our old unit had to be replaced. We were just getting into the hot sticky weather.

Date created: 2012-05-10 Name: B. D. August
Location: Mt Laurel , NJ

"Stay Clear of Payne and Carrier"
What a piece of junk. A year after install the unit failed because the fan was wired wrong on the outside unit. At year 7 (just this week) a dimple popped on the tubing with in the outside unit a 3/16 inch in size. Support for the distributor and the company was the unacceptable even with a 10 year warranty. I have taken excellent care of this unit, servicing it every year only to have the distributor and manufacturer blame me. This is unacceptable. These problems were definitely caused poor manufacturing, materials and design. Stay clear of Payne and Carrier equipment.

Date created: 2012-04-12 Name: T Haunhorst
Location: ohio

"My payne is a payne"
I have owned a payne heat pump for over a year now the ac part of the system works good but the heat pump side represents the name well a payne. This unit will run for two hours straight with maybe a one to two degree temp change inside the house on a day when its 50 outside. I live in a brick house that has insulated walls and 18 inches blown in the attic all the duct work is insulated. My opinion is this is ridiculous and the installer has been great in trying to work with me and figure this out he has double checked everything and we are now trying to get the sales rep out but keep getting blown off from him. So my opinion and suggestion I will never by another payne.

Date created: 2011-09-10 Name: Dave
Location: raleigh, NC

"Compressor failed after 6 years"
6 year old unit died an ugly death when compressor failed. Terminals burnt clean through. Warranty is 5 years. Whatever happened to made in America?

Date created: 2011-03-21 Name: W. Talburt
Location: Dallas,Texas

"Very good quailty unit! 15seer."
Installed this unit with friend one year ago, replacing a 9 seer janatrol heat pump. This unit works really well cut bills in half! I readed some negative post here on this site and will say, your unit will only work as good as your A/C Techs expertise. Thanks great product Payne!

Date created: 2011-03-14 Name: h k
Location: Labelle PA

"Runs and runs and runs andruns"
Unit is 13 months old. The unit runs 20 minutes shuts of for 5 minutes. Runs another 20 minutes shuts off for 5. Runs for 5 shuts off for 3 then starts all over again. Air is warm at beginning of cycle but then blows cold air. Two service calls and they tell me their is nothing wrong with it. Only home on weekends. Only thing running by electric is fridge, one lamp for a few hours(on a timer) and the furnace. The average electric bill for 2 months was $150 each. Sounds like the furnace/heat pump yo me.

Date created: 2011-02-11 Name: Cliff

"A waste of money"
We had a Payne put in and have had problems every since. Freeon leaking,aux heat comes on. And now we are having a very cool winter and now it is blowing cold air instead of hot air. The outside unit is totally frozen over. The unit is only 4 years old. So my husband and I are telling everyone not to ever buy a Payne. Like another dissatisifed customer said that it is a Royal Pain.