Consumer Reviews of Payne heat pumps

Read more about Payne heat pumps

Date created: 2016-10-04 Name: V.M.
Location: British Columbia, Canada

"Spend your money on better quality"
We were sold a Payne 5 ton heat pump for our in-floor heating system. It is brand new. In short, it is low end, poor efficiency rating, cheaply built and noisy! So much for trusting the installer and his advice. Spend your money on a better quality unit and make sure it is located in the right spot (ease of installation should not be the priority). Don't let the tail wag the dog when it comes to your heat pump.

Date created: 2016-09-17 Name: R Mullins
Location: Murfreesboro, TN

"I understand the brand name now"
I copy and pasted this from my original Facebook post: To anyone considering replacing their air conditioner or heat pump, you need to read this first. I have one of each. The A/C is my original 20-year-old unit and my heat pump is 4 years old. The heat pump, made by Payne, broke down a couple of weeks ago due to the fan motor and capacitor dying. The tech called Payne since it still had a year under warranty (parts, not labor) and they were out of motors and they were on back-order until January. So he asked if he could install a generic motor until then to get me by and they said no but I was welcome to put one in at my own expense (about $200). Shocked, he asked if they were really willing to let my unit be down through winter but they really didnít care and had no problem with that. Fortunately, the tech had an app on his phone that allowed him to search for Carrier parts around the country. Carrier, Payne, Heil, Tempstar and a few others are now all part of a company called ICP. This is not to be confused with the musical group called Insane Clown Posse, although right now Iím not so sure. It stands for International Comfort Products, LLC. Anyway, the tech found me the correct motor and ordered it. ICP wouldnít even pay the shipping, which fortunately was only about $20 since it was fairly close by. This took care of the problem and we are back in good shape, thanks to a good, caring tech. Moral of the story: If youíre shopping for a new unit, pick one that cares if youíre going to be broken down for a few months or not. And stay away from ICP (the company, not the group. Iím kidding. Stay away from the group, too!)

Date created: 2016-08-11 Name: Jim B.
Location: Statesboro, GA

"Avoid"
We bought this unit to replace what we thought was a defective unit of another brand after 8 years. It has been nothing but trouble. It is under warranty for "parts" but that doesn't really matter when it is not working 2 or 3 times a year. I guess our AC guy charges a fair rate for labor, but it still ends up being pricey and so totally unreliable. Very, very disappointed with this expensive purchase.

Date created: 2015-04-18 Name: Austin Snipes
Location: Hickory, NC

"Very satisfied"
Installed 5 years ago and have had 0 service calls, no problems whatsoever. Completely satisfied. This is an upstairs unit. The original Rheem unit was a dog from day one. The downstairs unit is a 3 ton and is about 13 years old and is completely shot. I will be putting in a new Payne next week

Date created: 2015-02-22 Name: Patricia Williams
Location: Archdale, NC

"Payne is a pain"
Installed a new unit inside and out, and it has been a lemon from the beginning. The first 2 weeks after installation I had a $5000.00 insurance claim, it soaked the floors. It leaks all the time inside and it caught on fire one time when the motor went out. I'm having to call again today because it smells like it is burning, which is what happened when the motor went out. It's a very poor product and should be replaced under the lemon law. I thought I was getting a Goodman, but came home and this is what I had.

Date created: 2014-06-12 Name: jack
Location: MD

"Unhappy customer :("
Installed Payne in 2009. I already paid 4 visits (each approximately $500) for broken parts of Payne. It cost me already about $2k for this visit. Previous brand was 27 years old - and if I could I would replace this with the old one - don't get Payne. Horrible horrible horrible.

Date created: 2014-01-27 Name: julia balthaser
Location: gaffney sc

"Payne is sure a pain!!!!"
Bought this unit 8 yrs a go and have had nothing but trouble w/ it ever since had at least one service call a year. I too am on Social Security and can't afford to replace. The electric bills are out of line $230- 330 in the winter. It always goes into defrost when it first comes on and then heat for 19 minutes then defrost again. It never turns off -- especially when it is this cold (10 degrees). This continues all night. I have a tech coming soon. I've been without heat for 3 days. I don't recommend a Payne to anyone. I wish I could get a hold of them I would give them a piece of my mind and it would not be good.

Date created: 2013-12-29 Name: sid ardman
Location: s.e.ky

"Payne, oh the pain, the pain"
Please stay away from Payne heatpumps or you will feel serious pain in your wallet and will be cold when the temp drops. The unit freezes up constantly and I've had 3 defrost boards installed by techs. I have to turn it off and then turn it to air conditioning setting and let it run for 15 mins or longer so it will defrost -- it's a real pain

Date created: 2013-06-06 Name: m.waters
Location: Richmond, Va

"The Name Says it All. Payne is a Pain!"
I stopped installing Payne units after last year. I got 3 out of 4 units in one week that had cracked auxiliary drain pans out of the box. The outdoor units have the equivalent of chicken wire to protect the coil and the fins. Payne is so overpriced it is not even funny. You can almost get Carrier for the price of Payne, which is no better. Stay away from Payne. I actually installed one in my house in 2008, and have had nothing but problems. Compressor, condenser fan motor, relays, fusible links on the strip heat, and on and on we go. Biggest piece of junk on the market in my opinion.

Date created: 2013-05-22 Name: Leo S.
Location: Orlando, FL

"One Year Review"
Needed a new system to replace a very old AC - electric heat unit. A very trusted tech that has been servicing my old unit for the past 5 years recommended a Payne heat pump and air handler. He did the load calculations for my house and recommended changing old 3.25 ton unit to 3.5 ton. I could not be happier with this unit. House more comfortable from day one. Electric bill dropped over $100 a month over old system. Has performed flawlessly over the past year both in heating and cooling mode. I did get quotes from other companies on other brand units before deciding to go with Payne, and I believe the reason most people have issues with any unit is improper sizing of the unit or bad installation. I had one company recommend a 3 ton unit because they did not have a 3.5. When I questioned them about how that could cool our house when the old 3.25 unit was struggling, they said they would increase the fan speed in the air handler and that would take of it. Another company recommended a 4 ton unit even though the calculations said it should be 3.5 ton. Research on the web told me this was a bad idea as it would not run long enough to remove the humidity. Glad I did not work with them either. Your unit must be properly sized and installed.