Consumer Reviews of Payne heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2018?

Read more about Payne heat pumps

Date created: 2018-06-18 Name: Phyllis Plowucha
Location: Inman, SC

"Donít buy itís product"
Two and a half years ago our heat pump was replaced by Americaís Home Shield as part of our warranty. We have repairs every summer since installation. Each one is at least a thousand dollars due to coolant costs. It has been major every time. This unit should count under the Lemon law. Our previous unit was 24 years old and never needed more than routine cleaning. This is a horrible product.

Date created: 2018-03-11 Name: Mike
Location: Burke Lake, VA

"Good product, ran well for 16 years"
I had a Payne Heat Pump system that ran for 16+ years and was still running great when I replaced it. I replaced it because the original installer mounted it on the ground and dirt had built-up on the base and caused corrosion. I was also headed overseas and was going to sell my home in a couple years so I did a preemptive replacement because I did not want my spouse dealing with any HVAC issues and did not want a "Home Inspector" telling me my HVAC was near "end of service life" in an attempt to beat me down on my home asking price. As with most things I believe installation makes 90% of the difference on mechanical systems, and my Payne would have probably ran another 3-5 years if I had not replaced it.
Date created: 2017-10-30 Name: JR
Location: Nashville, TN

"Horrible, Horrible Unit"
We had a brand new Payne HVAC unit installed in November 2015 and it has been a total lemon from Day 1. The ac has worked fine, but the heat pump has not worked at all. The heat will come on for five minutes then shut itself off. Then I have to reset the whole system just to get another five minutes of warm air. We've had four different repair companies work on it and had every part replaced, yet nothing will fix the issue. In addition to all this, the unit itself is big and ugly and looks horrible next to our house. I'm going to have to buy a whole new unit and it definitely will not be a Payne.
Date created: 2016-10-04 Name: V.M.
Location: British Columbia, Canada

"Spend your money on better quality"
We were sold a Payne 5 ton heat pump for our in-floor heating system. It is brand new. In short, it is low end, poor efficiency rating, cheaply built and noisy! So much for trusting the installer and his advice. Spend your money on a better quality unit and make sure it is located in the right spot (ease of installation should not be the priority). Don't let the tail wag the dog when it comes to your heat pump.
Date created: 2016-09-17 Name: R Mullins
Location: Murfreesboro, TN

"I understand the brand name now"
I copy and pasted this from my original Facebook post: To anyone considering replacing their air conditioner or heat pump, you need to read this first. I have one of each. The A/C is my original 20-year-old unit and my heat pump is 4 years old. The heat pump, made by Payne, broke down a couple of weeks ago due to the fan motor and capacitor dying. The tech called Payne since it still had a year under warranty (parts, not labor) and they were out of motors and they were on back-order until January. So he asked if he could install a generic motor until then to get me by and they said no but I was welcome to put one in at my own expense (about $200). Shocked, he asked if they were really willing to let my unit be down through winter but they really didnít care and had no problem with that. Fortunately, the tech had an app on his phone that allowed him to search for Carrier parts around the country. Carrier, Payne, Heil, Tempstar and a few others are now all part of a company called ICP. This is not to be confused with the musical group called Insane Clown Posse, although right now Iím not so sure. It stands for International Comfort Products, LLC. Anyway, the tech found me the correct motor and ordered it. ICP wouldnít even pay the shipping, which fortunately was only about $20 since it was fairly close by. This took care of the problem and we are back in good shape, thanks to a good, caring tech. Moral of the story: If youíre shopping for a new unit, pick one that cares if youíre going to be broken down for a few months or not. And stay away from ICP (the company, not the group. Iím kidding. Stay away from the group, too!)
Date created: 2016-08-11 Name: Jim B.
Location: Statesboro, GA

"Avoid"
We bought this unit to replace what we thought was a defective unit of another brand after 8 years. It has been nothing but trouble. It is under warranty for "parts" but that doesn't really matter when it is not working 2 or 3 times a year. I guess our AC guy charges a fair rate for labor, but it still ends up being pricey and so totally unreliable. Very, very disappointed with this expensive purchase.
Date created: 2015-04-18 Name: Austin Snipes
Location: Hickory, NC

"Very satisfied"
Installed 5 years ago and have had 0 service calls, no problems whatsoever. Completely satisfied. This is an upstairs unit. The original Rheem unit was a dog from day one. The downstairs unit is a 3 ton and is about 13 years old and is completely shot. I will be putting in a new Payne next week
Date created: 2015-02-22 Name: Patricia Williams
Location: Archdale, NC

"Payne is a pain"
Installed a new unit inside and out, and it has been a lemon from the beginning. The first 2 weeks after installation I had a $5000.00 insurance claim, it soaked the floors. It leaks all the time inside and it caught on fire one time when the motor went out. I'm having to call again today because it smells like it is burning, which is what happened when the motor went out. It's a very poor product and should be replaced under the lemon law. I thought I was getting a Goodman, but came home and this is what I had.
Date created: 2014-06-12 Name: jack
Location: MD

"Unhappy customer :("
Installed Payne in 2009. I already paid 4 visits (each approximately $500) for broken parts of Payne. It cost me already about $2k for this visit. Previous brand was 27 years old - and if I could I would replace this with the old one - don't get Payne. Horrible horrible horrible.
Date created: 2014-01-27 Name: julia balthaser
Location: gaffney sc

"Payne is sure a pain!!!!"
Bought this unit 8 yrs a go and have had nothing but trouble w/ it ever since had at least one service call a year. I too am on Social Security and can't afford to replace. The electric bills are out of line $230- 330 in the winter. It always goes into defrost when it first comes on and then heat for 19 minutes then defrost again. It never turns off -- especially when it is this cold (10 degrees). This continues all night. I have a tech coming soon. I've been without heat for 3 days. I don't recommend a Payne to anyone. I wish I could get a hold of them I would give them a piece of my mind and it would not be good.