Consumer Reviews of Lennox heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2018?

Read more about Lennox heat pumps

Date created: 2008-05-25 Name: J Rowland
Location: Virginia

"My Lennox requires constant repairs"
In the fall of 2004, I purchased a house that had a 2001 top-of-the-line Lennox HVAC system installed. At the time of the home inspection, no problems were noted with the heating or cooling however my heating bills were high all winter. Every year I've had to pay for some sort of repair to get the unit to work. We've had the compressor replaced, the defrost board replaced, problems with fuses blowing, issues with intermittent cooling, problems with freon flowing through the system. Some work was done under warranty but the labor comes out of pocket (one service call was over $600). The weather is getting warm now & when I tried to turn on the AC guess what? It doesn't work. The fan blows warm air & the compressor doesn't come on. Last year I was told there may be a problem with the valve that controls the flow of freon and if it needs to be replaced the part is about $500. Someone is supposed to come out on Wednesday to diagnose the unit. In my opinion an HVAC system should not require yearly repairs after 4 years of use -- preventative maintenance is one thing but these are repairs that are averaging $500 per year. At this point, I am seriously considering replacing the Lennox unit with a different brand system. I'd never recommend Lennox to anyone.

Date created: 2008-04-23 Name: Don

I only had to replace a module on the unit once in all the years of service.
Date created: 2008-03-18 Name: S Smith
Location: Ohio

I will never own a Lennox unit again... it has cost me an average of about $500 a year in repair expenses. My electric bill is higher than anyone I know---Total junk from day one---
Date created: 2008-03-08 Name: Larry
Location: Gaithersburg, MD

Three out of three Lennox I have died in a one year time span. One system never worked well and in the end lost over 50% of capacity. It never produced rated cooling even after it was replaced during the first year. The second unit saw seldom use because it served an seldom used spare inlaw apartment. That second one lost the scroll compressor during cold weather because the Lennox HP22 gear doesn't use a suction accumulator, so compressor slugging killed it. The compressor spins, but there is no head pressure. That one, the bottom pan rotted out too because it has no drain holes. Water just pooled inside it. Now the third out of three had the compressor grind apart internally. It made a grinding noise, then locked the rotor and blew the fuse. These Lennox units have a minimum of protection devices. They have no loss of charge switch and no overpressure switch. Leak? The third one leaked for sure, because I recovered 5 lbs 4 oz of R22 from a system that should hold three pounds more than that. All three of these units ice over during freezing rain. They have no protection devices, so they sit there grinding the compressor to bits unless you see what is happening and turn it off. No one will service this gear. HVAC vendors only want to replace the entire system even though the air handler is okay. This junk has custom air handler dimensions that don't match other gear. So the equipment cannot be serviced and it can't be replaced without doing sheet metal ductwork all over. I wouldn't buy Lennox again, nor any of their sister brands.
Date created: 2008-03-06 Name: Alan Phillips
Location: Arkadelphia, AR

I replaced a 20 year old York heat pump with the Lennox unit. I have had problems at least once a year. The compressor went out under warranty but it cost $400 labor to replace it. Now the compressor is out again.
Date created: 2008-02-27 Name: Kevin
Location: S.A. Texas

Owned this 4 ton heat pump unit unit for 15 years and have had constant r22 leak problems. Can't find the Leak, difficult to work on, can't get parts locally. Have to add 11 or 12 pounds of r22 every year to keep it running. My dad has a 5 ton Lennox. Same problems and leaks also.
Date created: 2007-03-26 Name: Tom C
Location: Columbia, SC

I've been in my house for 25 years. Started with 2 Tranes-they worked fine for 15 years and then the upstairs unit went out. Replaced it with a Lennox-supposedly the Cadillac of heat pumps. Been a problem just about every year-circuitry, fuses, compressor, etc. Replaced the compressor 2 years ago and needs to be replaced again. Decided to junk it. The downstairs unit went out seven years ago and replaced it with a Heil-not one problem with it so far.
Date created: 2007-01-03 Name: P. Kelly
Location: Wenatchee, WA

I built a new home 5 years ago and the builder installed a Lennox heat pump/furnace system. This is the first and only heat pump/furnace I have owned. Almost every 12 months something has failed. I have gone through 2 blower fans (though Lennox says they "cannot understand what has happened"), and twice my heat pump unit has failed. When my heat pump failed during a heat wave, I was told it was "too hot" for the air conditioner to run! When else do you need an air conditioner? The greatest insight I got was from a service technician. He stated that as Lennox has tried to make the parts cheaper and more energy efficient, they have had many more failures. Lennox has been horrible in their customer service. They do not return calls, promising you they will get back with you, have someone contact you, etc. and they never do. You have to constantly keep contacting them, threatening them, etc. Take my word for it. It is very difficult and expensive to change your home heating/cooling system. Do not buy a Lennox. Make sure your builder does not install a Lennox system without asking you.