Consumer Reviews of Lennox heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2018?

Read more about Lennox heat pumps

Date created: 2009-07-23 Name: MLS

"Heat pump experience"
I'm in the market for a heat pump replacement. My house has two York 13-year- old systems, a 2.5 ton and a 1.0 ton for two different sections of the house. The 2.5 ton unit has had low cooling problems the whole time. I did not have annual servicing. Every two years, the cooling would diminish and I called in a service guy and cleaning the unit brought back the cooling. This was cheaper than buying an annual service contract. The past three years, there has been a small leak, requiring a pound of Freon charge. The leak went all out last week after putting three pounds in. No cooling remains. The 1 ton unit has had no maintenance and no problems for 13 years. So, doing research...Consumer Reports says that all the major brands have the same reliability. All brands have the identical warranty, limited to parts only! Trane has 12- years, the rest have 10-years. All ac companies provide "extended warranties" that include labor and cost about $100 per year. (My theory is that the manufacturers have parts-only warranties so that the installation companies can sell you extended warranties.) All low teir units (cheapest) are less reliable than mid and high teir. So...buy a mid or high teir unit for reliability. Contractor units in new housing usually are low teir units. My theory is buy a mid-teir unit ($2000 less than mid), expect it to last 10 years, then buy a new unit. The units 10 years from now will be even more efficient. Better to repalce the heat pump every ten years to take advantage of technology, then to pur in a Trane which may last 20 years, but cost relatively more to operate in those last 10 years. I think I am going with a Lennox mid-teir unit.

Date created: 2009-07-14 Name: Jennifer Evans

"Hot-n-Sweaty in Kansas"
If you're thinking of buying a Lennox....seriously think again. My home has a 6 yr old heat pump unit that has continuously failed every summer. Several capacitors, a motor, leak checks, cleanings, etc. And still does not cool the house properly. I have had several different techs try to diagnose the problem but just keep getting expensive parts thrown at it. I cannot remember ever having to call for a repair on any other a/c units I've owned in the past. Lennox should be ashamed of themselves for not recalling this failure.
Date created: 2009-06-29 Name: Philip

"Lennox heat pump"
Hello to the readers, Re Lennox heat pump 5 years old machine in a new home, a horrible experience with this machine, compressor grouded needed to be replaced,(I understand breakdown)may be under warranty, but some other parts $250 + labour = $1000.00 to 1200.00 approx to change the compressor approx. is what bothers me about the guarantee. talking to the dealers, forget it. comment by the serviceman: good luck after repair, may be some more problem later. It seemed to me that this is known problem. Philip
Date created: 2009-06-23 Name: j.smith

"Air Conditioner Problems AGAIN!"
Nothing but problems!! There is a small valve in the air handler that has gone out five times. The system dies every six or seven months. It is now the hottest time of the year and guess what? The compressor has just died. So all told, five years of service and about seven service calls. I'd say that the mtbf is pretty sad! I'll never own a Lennox air conditioner again!
Date created: 2009-06-13 Name: M Clayton

"Will Not Last"
I would not have another lennox. Worked great for the first 6 years but after that got the repairs got to be very expensive. The Rheam I had before lasted 15 years and only had to be repaired twice.
Date created: 2009-06-03 Name: Jim

"Installation"
I find that most of the very unsatisfied reviews on this website seem to be installation caused problems. Most are from builders and builder grade equipment. For instance the guy that said 40% of the homes in his development have had major problems with their systems. If an company had a failure rate of 40% they would not be around. These were all thrown into this development by, most likely, un-trained installers. I think the statistic is like up to 90% of all systems are installed incorrectly. Make sure you are going with a company that has trained employees that also do background checks, and keep your self in the upper 10%.
Date created: 2009-05-02 Name: E. Holland

"LENNOX"
Horrible Unit. Installed by the builder it breaks every winter and every summer. It broke the winter and summer after I moved in but it was covered by the first year builders warranty, I wish I had known that it was going to continue to break I would have asked them for another unit. I thought I just had a lemon but it seems that the entire line is no good. I have spent around $4000.00 repairing both the upstairs and downstairs units. I turned on the air yesterday and again it broke, I will never buy another Lennox unit.
Date created: 2009-04-25 Name: LENNOX
Location: Southern Maryland

"Lennox"
We live in a development of newly built homes (by Marrick Homes) in Southern Maryland. The development is approximately 6 years old and we have lived in our home for 3.5 years. The homes all came with Lennox Heat Pump systems. Bottom line up front, the Lennox system has proven to be the worst heat pump system ever known. There are 82 homes in our community and over 35 homes have had significant problems with their Lennox heat pump system. I know this because after so many problems with no help from the builder or Lennox (you try getting through their automated phone system to talk to a real person) I made my own survey and submitted it to the entire development. The results are truly unbelievable. The problems experienced by the 35 home owners (43% of the homes) that responded were pretty astonishing. These include leakage, compressor failures and replacements, indoor coil failure and replacements; all of them costing in thousands of dollars in repairs. We have two units – one for upstairs and on for downstairs – and below is the timeline of the problems we have encountered: 1. In 5/09/2006—only ten months after moving into the house—the unit downstairs had to be called in for a leak in the system. The indoor coil had to be replaced. Luckily the warranty covered the part but we got stuck with over $500 worth of labor. 2. In 4/3/2007—only 20 months after moving into the house—the unit upstairs had to be called in for a leak in the system. Turns out the inside coil was leaking and had to be replaced. Part was under warranty; however, the total cost of the repair was $700. 3. In 6/09/2008—only 33 months after moving into the house—the unit downstairs once again had to be called in for a leak in the system. The initial diagnostics indicated compressor damage and replacement. However, after a week long waiting for repair in 90+ degree weather we are told that the outdoor coil also needed to be replaced. The cost of the repair was well over $1,200. 4. In 4/25/2009—just this week, only 3.5 years since we’ve been living in the home—we turned on the upstairs unit to find out that is not cooling anymore. From past experience the unit likely has a leakage in the system and will likely need a coil replacement. I only wish there was something we could do other than spending our yearly savings on fixing this system every time it breaks. This has become a yearly occurrence. We will be dealing with fixing this unit one more time and depending on the cost of this latest repair we will likely be forced to replace the entire system (upstairs and downstairs). If you have any suggestions and/or recommendations by all means feel free to contact me, I would love to hear from you.
Date created: 2009-03-30 Name: LENNOX

"Lennox Elite Heat Pump"
We built a new home and had the top of the line Lennox heat pump 4 ton installed. The fan went out of "whack" after a few months and had to be replaced. Under warranty the bill was 150.00 trip charge, not covered under warranty. I called Lennox and was told I could "purchase" a warranty to cover labor at some ridiculous price. This is our third year, the fan went out of "whack" again, due to snow falling from the roof (so I was told), and when the fan went out it broke the mounts off the motor. The repairman was on the way out with the motor when I stopped him. I was then told that the motor was fine, just the mounts were bent off. I took the motor to a local electric shop and was charged 47.00 instead of the $1000 that the repair dealer charged. That bill was 180.00, now two weeks later in the worst blizzard we have seen, we are without heat again. The fan is out of "whack" again and making enough noise to wake the dead. We had to shut it off and call the dealer again. This unit cost 14,000.00 and I'm sick. I'm going to call the factory and ask for a factory rep.
Date created: 2009-03-27 Name: LENNOX

"Owner"
This is actually the worst system I have owned in over 25 homes I have built. 5 ton unit will not raise temperature above 62 degrees in 50 degree weather without kicking on auxiliary heat. Problems since day one, wish I had found this site before I bought a Lennox!