Consumer Reviews of LENNOX heat pumps

Read more about LENNOX heat pumps

Date created: 2009-11-09 Name: J. Joyner

"SERVICEMAN"
I am a service tech and I work on alot of different brands of equiptment. I agree with everyone else saying there is no excuse in new systems breaking down. I think alot of this is caused by improper installation. Units today are not like systems of the past which had fixed pistons instead of expansion valves, and relays instead of circit boards. Alot of compressor and expansion valve failure is due to not vacumming air out before turning freon loose. Not running small amount of nitrogen through system while brazing to prevent oxidation and flaking inside the copper tubing which will clog TXVs and stainers. And not having proper static pressure running through airhandler by not sizing duct properly. These things you see are not things caused by who makes the system. The best thing you can do is make these suggestions to you installer before its put in. Sometimes you do get what you pay for by going with the cheaper service provider

Date created: 2009-10-02 Name: F grenberg

"Best system is the Lennox XC21"
I purchase a 3 ton Lennox XC 21, 19.25 SEER unit 3 years ago. From the first month in the middle of the summer I saved $100 in electrical (from $250 a month to $150 a month ). The way I see all these reviews I think you are having very bad installations. I am sure the secret for a good unit is the installation. I paid more than my friend for this unit. And some, they got Trane or Carrier units and all they had problem in the first 2 years with the units. My advice is to make sure you get the best install. It makes the difference. And I have a 10 year parts and labor warranty. Make sure you maintain the unit, too.

Date created: 2009-09-27 Name: M Clayton

"Ms"
For the past 2 years I have had to have the air conditioner repaired not once but twice each year, at almost $300 a visit I might add. I feel like I am replacing this system one piece at a time and it is only 8 years old. The next system will not be a Lennox

Date created: 2009-08-24 Name: BRM

"Lennox Heat Pump"
The story is not finished yet. It`s just starting. I`m just visiting my family now, and it is warmer in the house than it is outside. They`ve been complaining and calling since they got it. They`ve been waiting three weeks for the service man to come by. He should have been here at least two weeks ago. I`m not promoting other websites, but I really hope people can post their complaints on planetfeedback. It does get results. I`ve used it before with my problems with the Microsoft XBOX. I hope this site does the same, but PF is much bigger. I will post the follow up to this story, we`re calling tomorrow, and I`ll be on Planet Feedback tomorrow too.

Date created: 2009-08-23 Name: Unhappy man

"Lennox XP15"
I had this unit installed 1 year and 9 months ago. I think it was one of the biggest mistake I have ever made. Some of my problems have been the service I am getting from the company that installed the unit. I have paid to have it cleaned and checked 2 times. I have had 4 service calls on the unit, and it is not running right now. It's Sunday and I am waiting on a call from the service department that I called yesterday. They have been out here the last 2 days and it keeps breaking down soon after they leave. I really think it's the quality of the repair people that are showing up and not the unit. But now I am becoming somewhat un sure. I'm just glad it's not a car that I using to get back and forth to work.

Date created: 2009-08-07 Name: Jeff

"Don't Just A Year Old And Still Having Problems."
I agree with other people on the review site. Avoid Lennox, I been having problems and the blow and heat pump are just a year old. As for warranty, it is a joke, you have to stay in their program to be covered. Avoid this brand.

Date created: 2009-07-27 Name: Cheryl Heacock

"I regret ever buying a Lennox XP26 Heat Pump, or consider recommending it to you"
I only wish I would have received the advice that you are receiving before our purchase was made 4 years ago. We started checking around for a new heat pump, due to ours was 26 years old and we felt was not very efficient anymore. We had a York that we had 1-2 service calls on in 20+ years and were considering another York. We were talked into an xp26 Lennox and we decided to go with the salesman's advice. What a mistake. c&c installed and have been out 3 times since. This last call we are told there is a freon leak, the serviceman put 2# of freon back in it with no success in finding the leak. The good news is, we now have air during a very hot spell, the bad news is, he did not find the leak so the problem is not fixed and he said our bill will be $223. Sure the cost of the switches we've had repaired previously were under warrenty and part was covered. But c&c does not cover the labor at anytime, not evey a warranty part. So now we can $223 on top of all the other costs we've had and know we still have a major problem. I did put a service call into the salesman, but he's on vacation and I was told the new high efficiency units have a lot more things go wrong with them than the older units. But I will call the salesman back tomorrow and possibly call Lennox, since the service man says it is probably a slow leak, we have no idea if we've had the problem from the beginning and how soon we will have to have more freon put back in at $223 for 2#. no...i would never recommend a Lennox....I Would stick with the York. I even believe York will stand behind their product much more than Lennox or their dealers do.

Date created: 2009-07-23 Name: MLS

"Heat pump experience"
I'm in the market for a heat pump replacement. My house has two York 13-year- old systems, a 2.5 ton and a 1.0 ton for two different sections of the house. The 2.5 ton unit has had low cooling problems the whole time. I did not have annual servicing. Every two years, the cooling would diminish and I called in a service guy and cleaning the unit brought back the cooling. This was cheaper than buying an annual service contract. The past three years, there has been a small leak, requiring a pound of Freon charge. The leak went all out last week after putting three pounds in. No cooling remains. The 1 ton unit has had no maintenance and no problems for 13 years. So, doing research...Consumer Reports says that all the major brands have the same reliability. All brands have the identical warranty, limited to parts only! Trane has 12- years, the rest have 10-years. All ac companies provide "extended warranties" that include labor and cost about $100 per year. (My theory is that the manufacturers have parts-only warranties so that the installation companies can sell you extended warranties.) All low teir units (cheapest) are less reliable than mid and high teir. So...buy a mid or high teir unit for reliability. Contractor units in new housing usually are low teir units. My theory is buy a mid-teir unit ($2000 less than mid), expect it to last 10 years, then buy a new unit. The units 10 years from now will be even more efficient. Better to repalce the heat pump every ten years to take advantage of technology, then to pur in a Trane which may last 20 years, but cost relatively more to operate in those last 10 years. I think I am going with a Lennox mid-teir unit.

Date created: 2009-07-14 Name: Jennifer Evans

"Hot-n-Sweaty in Kansas"
If you're thinking of buying a Lennox....seriously think again. My home has a 6 yr old heat pump unit that has continuously failed every summer. Several capacitors, a motor, leak checks, cleanings, etc. And still does not cool the house properly. I have had several different techs try to diagnose the problem but just keep getting expensive parts thrown at it. I cannot remember ever having to call for a repair on any other a/c units I've owned in the past. Lennox should be ashamed of themselves for not recalling this failure.

Date created: 2009-06-29 Name: Philip

"Lennox heat pump"
Hello to the readers, Re Lennox heat pump 5 years old machine in a new home, a horrible experience with this machine, compressor grouded needed to be replaced,(I understand breakdown)may be under warranty, but some other parts $250 + labour = $1000.00 to 1200.00 approx to change the compressor approx. is what bothers me about the guarantee. talking to the dealers, forget it. comment by the serviceman: good luck after repair, may be some more problem later. It seemed to me that this is known problem. Philip