Consumer Reviews of Lennox heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2018?

Read more about Lennox heat pumps

Date created: 2010-10-23 Name: wayne Perry
Location: Phoenix, AZ

"Home owner"
Have had Lennox HSXA19, 4 ton unit (seer 16) since 3-05 with a split Lennox 2 stage gas furnace. Had much experience in past life repairing many different AC units. I spent the entire installation time with the two installers since I had some unusual installation requirements (they did not really like this). with the exception of a couple installation problems, I have been very satisfied over 5 years of experience. The only problems I had was a cracked plastic fitting at exp valve which caused a very small gas/oil leak exp. valve (replace under warranty) and improper set up on recirc. fan motor speed board. The unit has easily exceeded all performance expectations. It reduced summer bills by 20-30 $ per month. It runs mostly in the 1st stage (about 60% capacity). The winter performance is excellent due to the two stage heating. Now on to some comments about the other opinions that are in this review thread. Lennox makes very few of the major components which make up their equipment outside of sheet metal and coils. All manufactures that use scroll compressors have only one source - Copeland. All valves and other components come from various manufactures. Herein lies the problem for Lennox (and others). Lennox, Trane and all others buy the these components from many different manufactures. They are always changing from one to another looking for the lowest price. All AC manufactures go thru cycle of changing suppliers for things and suffer the consequences of the cheapest piece of junk and then paying with negative threads like this one. It may be likely that Trane, Lennox and others may use the same exp valve. within the same year you may find that any one of the same manufactures may switch exp valves or reversing valve suppliers. On the use of suction accumlator. I believe that many AC manufactures that use scroll comps overestimate the slugging capability of this comp. Many manufactures avoid their use since the scroll if far more (claimed) forgiving to slugging. There was one responder who claimed his model did not use hi or lo pressure switches. I have seen this from all manufactures at different years. This is serious omission in my view. More comments on the installation experience. I had two guys, one on furnace/expansion coil change and one on condensing unit. The guy on the furnace change out was old experience hand and the kid on condensing unit was very green. I had to mentor him thru running gas lines and brazing technique. I had to lend him my googles when he brazed! Since there was significant extra tubing run, I calculated extra gas over what was stored in the compressor. They did not agree with this. However this was corrected upon repair of the previously mention gas leak at later date. The satisfaction index is really dependent on installation for a split unit. I am a satisfied customer and will consider another Lennox

Date created: 2010-10-07 Name: Charlie Suggs
Location: Jacksonville , Florida

"XP-19 5 Ton Piece of Junk"
Less than two years old and the compressor exploded last sat. the breaker had tripped feeding the unit after resetting it heard a hissing sound and bang like a 22 rife going off and freon spraying out everywhere, it blew out where the 230 volt wires go into the compressor, no excuse this unit cost me $8000.00 now have to pay labor $700.00 to fix this piece of junk, very unhappy with Lennox, stay away from them, after reading all the problems on this website they should be closed down by consumers union or whoever has the power to SHUT THEM DOWN !!!!
Date created: 2010-10-01 Name: G. Martin
Location: Dothan, Alabama

"FIRE ALARM!!!!"
We downsized back in 2007. The house we bought had a Lennox unit (3 ton). It had problems right before we closed on the house and I made the owners buy me a home warranty. Good thing I did. We had to replace the compressor about 6 months after I moved in. About a year ago it started acting up. We had two different companies come out and look it over. they could not make it repeat the problem. Long story short it has not worked right for about a year. A week ago it caught on fire and almost burned my house down. NO, I am not making this up. My neighbor came running and pounding on my front door screaming "your house is on fire, your house is on fire!!!". I ran out grabbed a hose and while my wife called 911 I proceeded to put out the flower bed and bushes where the unit was located. Thank goodness it had not gotten big enough to actually catch the house on fire. The Fire Department got there and would not leave until a HVAC tech could explain what happened, turn all power off to the unit and verify it would not flare up again. Seems a capacitor blew up, melted a bunch of wires together and the hot melted insulation dripped down onto the leaves on the ground around the unit. I am VERY lucky that I was home and my neighbor saw it on fire. otherwise I would be lawyered up and suing in all directions. My home owners is paying for most on the new unit and you can bet it WILL NOT be a Lennox.
Date created: 2010-09-28 Name: G. Doherty
Location: Sikeston Mo.

Had this heat pump installed in 2003. First 5 years no problem. After that nothing but. Circut boards started blowing. The a coil sprung a leak. Now my service man tells me it needs a new expansion valve, and another circut board. The thing is literlly falling apart. NEVER BUY ANOTHER LENNOX.
Date created: 2010-08-28 Name: Randy R.
Location: Missouri

"Individual"
Thinking about putting a new heat pump in before winter. Mainly because of the tax rebate running out. Everybody says we should. In doing some research and learning, I happened across this sight. We purchased a Lennox HP21-511-P (4 ton) heat pump about 9 years ago. It was their top-top of the line back then. We put a new filter in once-in-a-while, walk by it alot in the basement. Other that that, never gave it much thought about quitting. I'm not even sure anybody knows where the thermostat is.
Date created: 2010-08-23 Name: P.Jone
Location: Indianapolis

"Lemon"
Lennox 3 ton Heat Pump 11 seer Installed with 20kw Air Handler(complete new system). I had 3 compressor failures in 10 years and over $$$ in total repairs. Poor Warranty for Parts & Labor. If the compressor fails more than one time, the Waranty is not for the 10 years only 12 months on the replaced compressor. I was charged $ 650.00 to repace the 1st unit under the 10 year warrenty for labor. The other failures cost around twice as much. I also had other high $$$ repairs on systems. TXV valve replaced cost $738.89, Two bad doulbel pole breakers in air handler, because of loose wiring. $380.00, Found loose wire at Blower relay. $184.00. Replace 50 relay $223.00 I had a maintenacne service agreement. The dealer asked Lennox to review my failures and they said they would give me $ 1,000 credit on a new system, After getting Est. from 3 other companys - Trane, Carrier & Nutone systems, I did not see any saving in the on the Lennox Est. Where is the "discount"? The other companys have better Warranties. Many have 10 years on compressors with complete replacment on Mult-failures and 10 years on Parts and Labor. I'm having a new system installed, It will not a Lennox.
Date created: 2010-08-09 Name: P. Wilkins

"No problems"
Our house had a Lennox heat pump when we bought it that was more than 20 years old. It had not needed repair but we replaced it due to age. The current Lennox is about 13-14 and has been serviced but never has needed repair. It has held up to the Arizona heat quite well! I will probably buy another Lennox next time!
Date created: 2010-07-06 Name: Lynda Johnson

"Lennox heat pumpmy Lennox Heat Pump Model #HP29-042-4P"
This heat pump has had a problem leaking freon every year since 2005. It slowly leaks out and by January the heat pump is useless; backup electric heat has to be used until the Spring. Lennox says the unit is off warranty and they are not responsible for any parts. Apparently, the compressor only has a 10 year warranty. I would not recommend Lennox heat pumps to anyone. I feel that quality has definitely declined with the newer units compared with the ones installed in the 1970s.
Date created: 2010-07-06 Name: R. Hungerford
Location: Arizona

"Nineteen Arizona Summers"
Over nineteen summers of Arizona heat, I have needed only three service calls. The first related to a poor installation job. The remaining two involved replacement of parts. I have a five ton two stage compressor which has never failed. My only complaint is the high cost of failed components. I am planning to replace the unit this Fall, only because of age and I can't find anyone who knows how to work on such an old unit.
Date created: 2010-06-20 Name: T. Ankney

"Lennox BAD"
Since April, I have had the service technician out 14 times - replaced the "main board" - break and the fan has been replaced 4 times. The last, the technician at the suggestion of the Lennox trouble shooters installed a larger fan which necessitated the drilling out of the top cover - the unit ran for just over 24 hours! This unit is impacting the value of my home negatively. I am contacting the Lennox consumer affairs unit tomorrow and if I get no satisfaction, I will have my attorney contact them.