Consumer Reviews of Kenmore heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2017?

Read more about Kenmore heat pumps

Date created: 2017-07-29 Name: Lee
Location: Florida

"3ton compressor-15 Seer heat pump"
Just installed yesterday and that went well. It's a 3 ton compressor outside 15 Seer with Variable speed air handler inside with humidity t stat thermostat touch screen. One interesting thing I noticed is they put locks on the outside compressor ports, this is because it's is now known that your gas can be stolen out of your ac system without the owner knowledge. Think about that some. The next thing I noticed is how quiet this system is running. It cooled my 1500-1700 square ft home from 89 to 77 in less than 2.5 hour with outside temp 98. That is impressive. The new ac systems today are much more complex and can be technically challenging to setup the t stat correctly. There is about 10 to 20 adjustments required in the config to really get the full benefits of the system depending on how advance the purchased model is. Getting a correct schedule setup also helps. It's important to understand that a ac system can only do 20 degree difference so you can or should only run in a 3 degree change schedule to save energy. So example run 78 day and 76 at night for sleep staying within that 3 degree change range. Running heat with same rules would be good as well but heat is a little different in how it works. If you understand the principles and the system is installed correctly then it will work correctly. Just maintain it and have it checked annually or so and it will provide good service and life for best cost point. Most household ac systems will cost about $2 - $3 per day to own including filters and maintenance on average at best just to have it. It's not cheap. Update: 07/30/2017 I forgot to add, Sears installs thousands of these units per month in Florida alone I have been told. That said consider the low amount of negative reviews and higher positive reviews. When systems work good most consumers do not report anything. I will report more later on my system

Date created: 2017-04-05 Name: Dominic Matte
Location: Montreal, QC, Canada

"25 years old Kenmore 2 tons"
This Kenmore 2 tons heat pump ch5024qkb2, sold by Sears, was installed in November 1992, manufactured in August 1991 by ICP (Inter-City Products at that time). I have purchased the house in 2011, including this heat pump. According to files of the former owner, only the exterior fan has been changed around 2005. Another service call was done because the breaker was triped or OFF, bizarre... Other than that, service calls were for cleaning of unit. This heat pump has always worked great in cooling mode. But in heating mode, this heat pump is stopping sometime brutally after only 4 to 8 minutes since 2011, at least. A visual inspection let me discover that the capillary tube, located between a bulb and the expansion valve in the outdoor section, was sectioned. Troubleshooting with multi meter ans drawings have let me conclude that unit was stopping on high temperature protection of the compressor. Two technicians told me that a repair was not a good move on a heat pump so old. Today, after 6 years with cooling only, it the last day. It will be replaced tomorrow by a Coleman LX, the favorite by consumers on Furnace Compare. My model will be a THJF 2 tons. I Hope to offset purchase cost by lower energy cost in long term with functional heating mode!

Date created: 2016-06-26 Name: Juanita Broussard
Location: Breaux Bridge, LA

"Sears Kenmore 4 ton heat pump central heating and cooling system."
The Kenmore 4 ton 16 SEER central heat pump / AC system is 1 year old. Last summer it was very hot and also this summer in Breaux Bridge, Louisiana. The unit cycles well. Does a great job in winter also. Thus far very pleased. No maintenance necessary yet.

Date created: 2016-05-16 Location: Columbia, SC

"the heatpump on my house"
I have been living in my house for 9 years. I had the house built. I like the heat pump versus regular central heat because it is more efficient and heats up better. The only thing I don't like about it is that it is very loud. Knock on wood, i have never had to have it serviced nor repaired. I have only had to get the AC serviced and refilled because it was out of Freon. That was about 1.5 years ago over the summer. I slept and sweated in a 90 degree house for a day. After it was serviced, it felt like heaven. And it was repaired at discount since he was a family friend. I do not see anything wrong with my brand.

Date created: 2015-10-21 Name: TRI D NGUYEN
Location: Springfield, VA

"Heating air conditioning"
I ordered Sears to install the whole system, from compressor, furnace, wiring, thermostat, with extended warranty from Sears on 2010. It never worked right the 1st year. I then called Sears services and they tried to charge me $500, then waived it after some phones I had to make back to Sears to remind them that I have an extended warranty. One year later they sent me a collection letter of $250 and it had to be resolved after an appeal from me to the collection company. Other bad news was he told me the system had a "small leak " and he put some "stop leak " into the system. Can anybody believe this ? This is the whole new system, almost $7,000.00! Furthermore, when he removed the cover panel from the furnace I could see the evaporator inside already rusted out (it was 1 yr old) and until today whenever I adjust the A/C thermostat, it goes back to 75 f even after replacing the batteries. I trusted Sears products but not after this. It is so disappointing.

Date created: 2015-05-12 Name: Samatha P
Location: Sykesville, MD

"Excellent"
I bought a new Kenmore Elite heat pump system 4 months ago. I was replacing a old Kenmore unit which was 22 years old. I never had an issue with that one so I once again went back to Sears for my new heat pump. So far everything the sales person said is true. This 18 SEER unit really cools the house now and even my bedroom upstairs which never really cooled well. He explained how this system slows down the cooling to give it a chance to cool upstairs. I love it so far. I give this system a 10 out 10!! I would recommend this unit to anybody.

Date created: 2015-04-11 Name: D. Jackson
Location: Baltimore, MD

"Awesome"
I have owned my new Kenmore heat pump now for about 1 year. I bought an 18 seer 2 stage and the savings are what the sales person promised. I researched this unit for about 2 weeks and found out that it is the same unit as a Carrier Infinity unit. Both units are made by United Technology. All have the same parts. I saved a lot of money going with the Kenmore. I used Sears 24-month no interest to pay. From start to finish I give Sears a 10 rating. Their service has just been wonderful.

Date created: 2013-07-17 Name: P. Sutton
Location: Hazard, KY

"Model # PHD436000K000D"
I paid over $7,000 for the Kenmore heat pump combo unit (heat/A/C) three years ago. I came home last night and it was 91 degrees inside my house. I have spent the entire day calling Sears, looking on Kenmore's website and Sear's website for information. My model # does not exist on the Kenmore website, and could only locate it after calling Sears on one of their obscure websites. I was told by one Sears professional that the only warranty on my $7,000 unit was "exceptional" parts only and it was good until May 28, 2020. When I asked what "exceptional" parts are, she put me through to a Sears Specialist. The Sears Specialist told me it was basically the compressor and evaporator coils and my parts warranty was only good for 5 years after my purchase date. Needless to say I wont't be making any major purchases from Sears again. Do yourself a favor, buy a Trane. Also, in response to the lady who remarked that the other bad reviewer didn't understand how a heat pump worked and he or she was ignorant, I'm glad you are happy with your Kenmore from Sears. My guess is you or your husband work for Sears. If not, wait a couple more years and let us know how much you still love your Kenmore heat pump.

Date created: 2013-05-07 Name: Mr. PO
Location: peru, indiana

"Sears is Garbage"
Had my heat pump/electric back up for 3 years. Both the heat pump and back up have had to go through major repairs. Electric furnace needed a new motor and is now working again but is very noisy. The heat pump on the other hand hasn't worked properly in a year now. Sears keeps sending out junk compressors and it take 1-2 weeks for the compressor to get to my house. On top of that it takes the repair company another week to show up to install it only to tell me that the compressor is junk. All under warranty and they refuse to just simply replace the entire unit. Glad Sears is going bankrupt, they deserve it, never buying there crap products again.

Date created: 2012-06-10 Name: Jill Trident

"Sears is great!"
They do a great job with new air condoning! Its so sad to read these reviews from people who only write to complain. The things I read that are marked as "unsatisfied" are obviously from the rude, impatient and ignorant of how the hvac process works. The company and warranty are wonderful! I love mine, maybe I also just have a good attitude and attract good things!