Consumer Reviews of JANITROL heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2014?

Read more about JANITROL heat pumps

Date created: 2007-10-04 Name: Chuck Martinak
Location: Central PA

I own a Janitrol heat pump that is a contractors el-cheapo special. It is a 2 ton unit with a 10 kw heating grid installed in an 1800 sq. ft. home located in central PA. The air handler was shoddily installed by the home builder that required my attention to correct right after we moved in circa 1993. I also installed a setback thermostat thar I am sure has helped keep our utility bills low. The unit has been trouble free ever since. It is a quiet unit and has been relatively efficient. Even in the hottest summers or coldest winters my electric bills have rarely gone beyond $150/mo. Like all heat pumps in central PA, during the winter months it will run continually when the temperature drops below 25 degrees or so. The heating grid ussually kicks in at about that temperature. During summer months in 90 degree daytime heat, on A/C the house can be cooled from 80 degrees to 74 degrees in about an hour. I am building a new deck that requires me to move the outside unit to a new location along the foundation. I will be replacing this unit with a new one, otherwise I would be content to let it go till it dies.

Date created: 2007-08-26 Name: D. Garrison
Location: Paris, Kentucky

I am writing to let everyone know that I purchased a Janitrol 3 ton unit approximately 9 years ago. I have had nothing but trouble out of it. Less than two months after installing, the blower in the air handler began to "wobble" and the tech had to tighten nuts and bolts. Didn't help, the blower went out. Replaced it with and "industral" type blower. Less than a year later, the transformer went out. That was replaced. On three different occasions, I've had to have the "wires" in the air handler replaced because they have burned apart from the heat strips. Not only that, I've had to have the compressor replaced, only 4 years old at the time. Now, I'm sitting here in 90 degree weather with the heat pump once again down. The transformer had blown once again on Thursday night, was replaced on Friday morning, and blown out again on Saturday morning. Hopefully the tech will come tomorrow morning. In all honesty, I could not recommed this product. I am currently looking into a replacement unit this week.

Date created: 2006-07-25 Years owned: 1

Unit worked ok for the summer of 2005 (we moved into this new house in March 2005). The heat pump cools the second floor. Three days ago we noticed that it was not working. Called the installer. We have a maintenance/service contract. It was fixed at a cost of $109. It seems that a wire burned out. Last summer the gas furnace/ac which cools the downstairs stopped working. Same problem - a wire burned out. The repairman told me that Janitrol is inferior equipment - his explanation for the wire burning out. Is this going to be a continuing problem?