Consumer Reviews of JANITROL heat pumps

Read more about JANITROL heat pumps

Date created: 2010-06-27 Name: Tim

"Not so good"
Moved into a house in 92. Had a piece of home-made garbage for an ac unit. Replaced with Janitrol. A-coil leaked for about 3 years before the problem was found. I've lost count on the number of times the relay switch has been replaced. Blower motor replaced and entire outside unit replaced with Goodwin. (Goodwin now the new name for Janitrol 'cause of poor rep???) Now have a leaking service port with a schroeder valve that fell apart when the tech tried to replace it. And the unit(2.5 Ton)runs constantly in an 1100 sqft home.

Date created: 2010-05-29 Name: B. Allbritton
Location: Florida

"2 Janotrol units in my house"
We built our 2900 sq. ft house 12 years ago. We live in Florida, it's hot. Large Janitrol unit for downstairs, smaller unit upstairs. Only problem we ever had was the units freezing up due to an efficiency valve that keeps fan running after unit compressor cuts off. Contractor removed the valves, no more problems. The only criticism would be that the units are noisy. My neighbor has a gmc unit going on 14 years. GMC (Goodman) makes Janitrol. When my units go out, will definitely get another Goodman. I have many friends that have already replaced their Carriers, Tranes, and American Standards before me. I've heard this many times, may not be the manufacturer, but the installer that makes the difference. One or two companies probably make all the parts anyway.

Date created: 2010-04-08 Name: Tony Saprano

"22 years with a Janitrol"
When I built this house, the contractor put in a Janitrol 3 ton unit for a 1500 sq ft. The installer used cheap silver solder to make the line set joints and I was losing freon big time during the first two years. Filed a claim in court and got my 600 bucks worth of repairs back. After getting all the repairs done, the system worked great. I did plenty of inspections on the unit and cleaned it myself. I replaced the compressor contactor, fan capacitor, defrost board and fan. One thing I hate about the wiring connectors. I hate quick disconnect lugs for high amp load points. I cut the lugs off and screwed them under the terminal blocks. One lug on the compressor had to be constantly checked for a hot spot. Bottom line, I think any unit will run forever if you just take a little tlc to the unit. I'm replacing the 22 yr old unit with a new Goodman. The existing unit has been in slow leak mode every 6 months now. Time to bury it ! I definitely got my money out of it.

Date created: 2010-03-05 Name: C. Gatlin

"Janitrol is super terrible"
I purchased a new Janitrol unit six years ago. In the first three years, every major part inside the unit was replaced. Now the blower has went out. I will never recommend a Janitrol unit to anyone. Please spend the extra money now, with a Janitrol you will spend it later. They will cover the parts, but not the labor. Stay away!!

Date created: 2010-02-16 Name: B. Henson

"Never Again"
Replaced baseboard heat with a Janitrol heat pump after purchasing our house. After 1 year, the blower motor in the air handler went out. After that, 7 years trouble free. Last summer had the 3rd compressor installed and less than 6 months later, it's running continuously and blowing cold air. I think I'll bite the bullet and replace the whole system instead of replacing the condenser (outside unit). I hate to reward them for selling me junk by buying more of their junk. If I had known what a pain and expense a heat pump was going to be, I'd have just paid for baseboard heat. At least, it's reliable.

Date created: 2009-10-31 Name: G Doshen

"JANITROL"
What a piece of crap!! We built this house new in 2004 and have had to have a technician come out every year to fix something. As I write this, I have to again call a technician as the upstairs is not working again for the fourth time since summer began. I wouldn't recommend this junk to my worst enemy...

Date created: 2009-06-29 Name: Rick
Location: Florida

Our Janitrol 2 ton unit was installed by the contractor when our 1,600 sq. ft home was built. After 11 years, we had a musty smell coming from the unit, so we had the a coil pulled and cleaned. The starting capacitor failed and the r-22 gas was low after 13 years. These have been the only problems with this unit for over 16 years. Very pleased with what is considered an inexpensive contractor grade unit. Electric bills run $85-120 per month here in Florida.

Date created: 2009-06-24 Name: Milton

"Ower"
I have had a Janitrol for 2 years and a Goodman for 1-year. I am a building Contractor and have other units installed for 4-years. Thank the Lord I have a good installer. Have had no trouble what so ever with any of the Goodman or Janitrol heat pumps. All I can say is good and no bad. If the Job is done right and they are sized right for the job then that is everything.

Date created: 2009-06-12 Name: J. Reece

"One good unit and one bad unit"
Upstairs heat pump has performed satisfactorily. However, the downstairs heat pump experience 4 years of freon leakage with frequent make-ups. Then the contractor tried a leak-sealing compound in the freon recommended by the manufacturer; approximately 2 months later the compressor locked-up. $625 required for labor to replace the compressor and indoor coil unit.

Date created: 2009-05-09 Name: Fred

"Janitrol has had no problems for 20 years"
Didn't know that Goodman was Janitrol these days. My Janitrol replaced a Bryant 20 years ago and until I set it to cooling yesterday it never had a service problem. It is now tripping the breaker immediately so it is probably a short in the compressor. If the tech coming Monday says it is the compressor, I will buy a new high seer rated Goodman. I don't know why people buy twice as expensive units that are no more reliable.