Consumer Reviews of JANITROL heat pumps

Read more about JANITROL heat pumps

Date created: 2016-06-11 Name: Ronnie Frost, Sr
Location: Ludowici, GA

"CPKJ48-18"
I had a Janitrol air handler with a 4 ton Goodman split system heat pump installed in 1997 and the system ran consistently until November of 2015. I had to replace the fan motor on the outside unit twice during this time. I had to replace the super starter capacitor twice also. The Janitrol unit was actually more dependable than the outside Goodman unit. I had to replace the blower motor a few years ago and one of the heat strips shorted out leaving two banks of 5 kw each or 10 kw still working when needed. Other than that, the air handler gave no problems at all. I had a problem with the outside Goodman unit because the installer wired the defrost timer incorrectly and the unit kept freezing up. This put a lot of stress on my system and I believe it shortened the life of my compressor even though I got almost 18 years of service out of it. I finally found a technician who checked my system and was able to determine that the defrost timer was set for 3 seconds so it essentially never worked at all. He adjusted it to the correct setting and my problems with the unit freezing up and high electric bills due to heating with heat strips went away. If I had rated the system before the technician determined that the installer had wired it incorrectly, then I would have given it 2 stars or so...and that wouldn't have been due to anything relating to the actual system but would have actually been due to the incompetence of the installer. I hope this helps others who have had issues with their outside heat pump freezing up. Ask your technician to verify that the defrost timer is set correctly and you might save a lot of money trying to stay warm. I just purchased a new Goodman heat pump split system and I hope I have the same luck with this system as the Goodman-Janitrol heat pump split system.

Date created: 2015-02-19 Name: M. Hood
Location: Yorktown, VA

"Time to replace"
I have had this system since 2005 when the house was built. I have had problems starting at year two. The compressor was under warranty, but I had to pay placement cost which was approximately $500. The next year it worked fine. Year 4, had another problem and repaired it. Year 6, another problem repaired. Last year another problem was diagnosed as a leak. I'm fed up! I'm replacing the unit tomorrow after two months of utility bills of $412 and $460, respectively. I was told the bills are high because it's operating on the emergency heating system. I don't know much about systems and what's going on, but I do know this system is costing me a lot of money, almost on a yearly basis. While the repairman said the system could be repaired, I am not willing to continue to throw good money after bad. I hope this helps someone else out there.

Date created: 2014-05-27 Name: A. Mashayekh
Location: Norfolk VA

"JANITROL Equals PROBLEM"
I have had nothing but trouble from the very first day. I had to call and pay for service and refrigerant/gas at least a couple of times a year. The heating element died in year 4, the coil leaked from the very beginning, and some switch has stopped working now. I really did not get more than 3 months of service from this lemon. The unit now is only 6 years old, and I had 6 years of trouble. Stay away form Janitrol.

Date created: 2012-07-10 Name: K Maley
Location: Ruckersville VA

"Dissatisfied"
Very poor quality. Have two units and after six years replaced the coil in the air handler on both systems. Have had the systems maintained twice a year since purchasing the house new. Do not buy Janitrol.

Date created: 2011-07-04 Name: M. Vaughn
Location: San Marcos TX

"Janitrol heat pump a wise choice"
2550 sq ft home built in 1957 added on in 1988.Bought a 5 ton Janitrol unit at the recommendation of A/C man. Just now having a problem. Faithful about annual routine check ups - may be the difference regarding the life span. Very satisfied with the product.

Date created: 2011-04-05 Name: D Giles
Location: Prospect, Va

"Poor quality unit"
Very poor quality unit! Many misc. problems over the years and just fixed the second leak in the defective outdoor coil in one month! Tubes that were hidden by the fins were defective and keep having leaks. Hope to never purchase a house with Janitrol/Goodman again! Maint. cost is expensive and stressful!

Date created: 2011-01-13 Name: B. G. Hyde
Location: Chattanooga, TN

"Just replaced inside fan motor"
I put this 4 ton 10.7 Seer unit in myself (HVAC certified) 7 years ago and was happy with its performance -- lower electric bills than the old unit -- but I put in double pane windows, insulated garage door, and some missing wall insulation too. I may have over-sized it, as it cools quickly but leaves humidity too high in summer; warms nicely in winter -- Tennessee. Fan motor went out last week, bearing broke with internal clattering. Found that it used sleeve (cheap) bearings, not ball or rollers, with no oil holes; dealer said 7 years was about right! New motor $114 from Janitrol distributor. Almost never need the auxilary heat coils. Somewhat noisy outside unit, but acceptable.

Date created: 2010-10-11 Name: PAUL JANSKY
Location: BURLESON TEXAS

"Air cond /heating /heat pump"
BUILT NEW HOUSE IN 1993-BOUGHT JANITROL 3-1/2 TON UNIT FOR 1862-SQ FOOT HOUSE-HEAT PUMP- WAS TOLD WOULD SAVE US MONEY -THAT WAS A JOKE-ALWAYS SOMETHING WRONG WITH IT-IT EITHER FELT COOL AND DRAFTY IN HOUSE OR WAS COLD IN WINTER-IF TURNED HOTTER ALL THE HEAT STRIPS WOULD COME ON ALONG WITH THE COMP OUT SIDE AND OUTSIDE BLOWER-/THATS IN 40 DEGREE TEMP OUTSIDE-/ONE DAY IT SEEMS COLD IN HOUSE NO MATTER WHERE YOU SET IT - IT WAS 25 DEGREES OUTSIDE -THE OUTSIDE UNIT WAS FROZEN BLOCK OF ICE -MOST PEOPLE HAD 98 ELECTRIC BILLS MINE WERE 250 PLUS-HAD FIXED ALL THE TIME NEVER WORKED LIKE IT SHOULD -SO NEXT TIME YOU HEAR JANITROL HEAT PUMP DONT WALK / RUN AWAY FROM IT /ALSO THERE COMP RELAYS MUST COME FROM CHINA /ALMOST WENT BROKE REPLACING THEM EVERY SUMMER

Date created: 2010-09-13 Name: Michael
Location: Asheville, NC

"No problems in 8 years"
My home was built during 2000 to 2001. ~1600 sq-feet with two separate 2 ton upstairs & downstairs Janitrol/Goodman split-system heat pumps. I am told Goodman is "builder grade" cheap stuff, but mine have performed with no problems. Only hiccup was an algae clogged condensation line, but that's not the manufacturer's fault. I've cleaned and maintained them myself. $98 electric bill this July with AC at 73 degrees. They produce usable winter heating down to 15 degrees outdoor temps. Outside coil units are on the noisy side but not terrible; I'm looking into Sorbothane pads for them.

Date created: 2010-08-22 Name: Bob Hatcher
Location: Spotsylvania, VA

"Keep the repairman away"
2 1/2 ton unit. A real amateur installation. No place for a filter. they just stuck a large cheap green scrubbing pad (The kind used on large commercial buffers). I finally figured out a way to put in a filter. Very noisy. Circuit board burned out twice. They bypassed it so now I have this rats nest of wires. They put a thermostat outside so 35 degrees and higher the heat pump works...lower and it switches to 90 plus propane gas and that is working. I probably need to have the evaporator coils cleaned, but after working with 3 separate companies I do not know who to trust. The unit does the job, but I am sure it is not running as efficiently as it should be. 12 SEER rated and owned it now for 13 years.