Consumer Reviews of Heil heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2018?

Read more about Heil heat pumps

Date created: 2010-05-13 Name: Rich

"Ancient but still going"
My old unit is a 1988 model and still working with no problems. However, it is getting old. The seer is only about an 8 at best, and I am thinking about replacing it. Power bills aren't too bad, but I did a lot of work replacing all the windows in the house with low e double paned and energy efficient designs which has helped a huge amount. I am researching manufacturers on this site to pick my next heat pump, but Carrier, Heil, Trane, Lennox, pretty much any of these are rated poorly by those writing in. Maybe I should just stay with what I have until it does fail...

Date created: 2010-05-02 Name: N. Hill
Location: NC

"Heil - 12 seer"
Several years ago, I replaced a 25 year old heat pump (Trane, I think) with a Heil. Within the first 3 weeks of installment, I called the installer to come out about 13 times. He finally just ignored me and I called the district supervisor. He told me the day before he had received a fax about replacement computer parts on the Heil. Seems as if their replacement part was a dud. The installer got another circuit board from a brand new Heil and it worked okay for a couple of years. My electric bill was lower because it was more enegy efficient. After about 3 years, the compressor went out. They supposedly gave me a replacement but I had to pay an installer 550.00. I live in NC and we had an unusally cold winter with many days in the teens. I almost froze all winter. The temperature would not get above 55 in the house. Just as soon as it warmed up to about 30-40 degrees, the unit seemed to be working perfectly. Now it is summer and I am burning up because it is 92 outside and 82 inside. The unit has run and run and will not cut off. It cannot get the temp below 82 in the house. Does anybody know what could be wrong with this piece of crap? I have had more trouble with this unit in 5 years than I ever did with my old one in 25 years of use. My old unit was struck by lightning. I will never purchase another Heil. Not only is the unit crap, but so is their customer service. I finally gave up on Heil helping me but I am helping them by telling everybody I know not to ever purchase a Heil. Maybe this will give them more time to make their unit more effective since their sales will be down.
Date created: 2010-04-05 Name: M. Herron

"Heil 4 ton heatpump"
In 2003, I had my outdoor heat pump replaced with a Heil. The company that sold it said it was as good as a Trane & less expensive. I have always been told these units were normally good for at least 12 years. This is only 7 yrs. We had another company out to see what was wrong - he said the unit's vibration rubbed a hole in the coil and if we replaced the coil it would be about $2800.00 or we might as well buy a whole new unit for $3500.00. I feel like if this is a manufacturer's flaw (if the unit vibrates too much) and wears a hole in the coil, I think the Heil company should replace it, even if it is over the 5 year warranty.
Date created: 2010-03-05 Name: E. Gillon

"4 ton Heil heat pump"
Well, it looks like it is finally going down. This Heil 7000 has been chunking away through 95 degree summers and pretty cold winters in a early 70's house with 2800 heated square feet and not so great insulation with so so windows that don't help. It has been a real soldier. Our power bill dropped 30 to 40 percent for the most of the year. Looking at a new Heil. Just hope it is as good as the last 3 units including my rentals.
Date created: 2010-02-02 Name: William Place

"Heat pump reviews"
I just saw a review by Andrew Korte. At the time he wrote it, he was a dealer of 2 years and said he never had problems with heat pumps. He installed mine and at start-up makes a lot of noise. I would never buy from him with this kind of problem. Put it in Oct '09 So, I guess he can't say we're all happy now.. Wish they would replace it or fix it. It has been 4 months now! All I ask for is what the paper said quiet and so on. Got questions, e-me [email protected]
Date created: 2010-02-02 Name: William Place
Location: Oregon

"Heil 13 seer dule fule oct 2009"
Thing makes a buzzing grinding noise at start-up for about 3 to 5 seconds. I can hear this thing every time it starts... Been this way ever since they put it in and so they put a slow start kit on it! Dident make a difference then they put a noise blanket on the pump. Got somewhat better but, I have had to call the dealer because the guy that put it in say's everything is fine.. But he got paid. Is this what they call quiet? It seems their idea of quiet and mine aren't the same? Even when the gas furnace comes on the heat pump tries to start first and makes this noise.. wakes me up.. so the only answer I can add to this is I'm glad there is an Oregon law.. I guess I'm going to need to use it. Will never buy Heil again and should add you shouldn't either until all people are happy with what they sell. Oh, you can e-me if you like [email protected]
Date created: 2010-01-14 Name: P. Williams

"Hating It"
I purchased my home in June 09 and the heat pump had been installed by the previous owner in November 08. I have always had a gas pack....you set the thermostat at a certain temp and it turns off. Well guess what, the heat pump has a mind of its own... Why have a thermostat if it isn't going to turn off when it reaches the desired temp????? At night, I set the thermostat to 63 and daytime 65.... It keeps on running...... and running.... I can't get a satisfactory resolution to the problem. Give me the gas pack...... it makes sense. Why even bother to have a heat pump..... It would be cheaper to heat with a space heater.
Date created: 2010-01-11 Name: K. Yarbrough

"I Hate Mine!"
Going on 9 years and can't wait to replace this piece of junk! I previously had a 13 seer Heil heat pump in the late eighties at my previous residence and was very pleased with it. I moved into a different house in 2001 and bought another Heil for this house and have had nothing but problems. Every time we switched from heat to cool or vice versa required a service call. Our installer doesn't even install them anymore. He says parts are very hard to get and they're made in Mexico. It took over 5 years to get the aforementioned problem solved and now the unit is so noisy. It is ridiculous not to mention the last few years it won't cool the house on the hottest days or heat on the coldest days. I wouldn't recommend at all!
Date created: 2010-01-06 Name: Fred Pleger

"Fred Pleger, customer"
The Heil heat pump model hhp042aka1 I had installed new has been a constant headache. The defrost circuit had to be replaced, the fan has been replaced, and now the discharge muffler and filter drier has been replaced. The last repair cost $639.68 and since the warranty is only for 5 years, none of it is covered. I will not recommend this unit to anyone building a new home or replacing a heating system.
Date created: 2009-12-22 Name: William Kauffman

"Quality of my Heil unit."
I have purchased many Heil units in the past for my rental houses over the years so when I built my new home, I put in the following: npgad60g1ka/l971423974 in May 3rd 1999. I received a 10-year contract that ran out in May 2009. I have the paper work that I can send you on this and also where I just paid $1,450.00 for a new Heil heat exchanger replacement. Never have I had to do this with any of your products in the past years. If the quality of Heil units have gone down, this will be the last unit I will ever purchase. I've had my choice of American Standard or Heil in 1999 but went with Heil because of the service I had received from your units in the past. Please let me know if you can help me in any way toward the purchase of this heat exchanger. 10 years and 7 months is not satisfactory service. Thanks, William kauffman