Consumer Reviews of Heil heat pumps

Read more about Heil heat pumps

Date created: 2010-09-05 Name: P McGurk

I don't know about yours but mine was junk! Outdoor coil leaked from day 1 and couldn't find leak had to refill every year.5 years and 2 months in coil has sprung multiple leaks oil everywhere. service tech says no coil to replace but HEIL will build a new one but with labour would be the same cost as new unit not sure what to replace with trne has 10years parts and labour

Date created: 2010-08-25 Name: m coby
Location: mobile,al

"Heil is shit"
I have 12 heil units on new building since 2003. These units have been nothing but trouble. never again

Date created: 2010-08-14 Name: Billy Dorris
Location: sc

"2.5 ton 10 seer"
Technician couldn't say enough bad things about my Comfortair, but didn't have a single problem in 10 years, until the compressor went out and tech talked me into replacing the whole thing. Heil is junk. Had two service calls per year for everything from a burned capacitor to replacing the compressor. I have only owned it for 5 years but will not buy another one, and would suggest anyone reading this doesn't either. Wiring is weak, parts are third world. Contactor and relays are far too small and open to environment to last very long.

Date created: 2010-08-02 Name: Danny Carden

"Heil heat pump"
My mom has had Heil pump for eight years compared to a Coleman she had twenty three years. The Coleman had little problems over the years till it needed replacement but the Heil has been awful and will never invest in one. Going to something else this time. So much for repeating mistakes, mistakes, mistakes.

Date created: 2010-07-04 Name: K. Cedola

"Bottom of the line-HEIL"
Had a Heil unit installed when we had our basement finished out. Compressor went out and the contractor and sub contractor are out of business so can't get any warranty info. It is going to cost us almost $2000.00 to replace the compressor, and now I'm trying to decide if it wouldn't be worth just putting a new unit in from a reputable company. (Trane)

Date created: 2010-05-20 Name: Rob M.

"Heil -a real P.O.S"
House came with Heil unit, was new in 2002. Has never worked right, had it serviced over and over with predictable results. Money leaves my wallet and then we do it all over again in 4 months when it's dead again. Blows hot air in summer, cold air in winter, runs all the time, and is very noisy, other than that Heil is really good. If you are dumb enough to buy a Heil, program your installer/repairman on speed dial, you're going to need him often.

Date created: 2010-05-13 Name: Rich

"Ancient but still going"
My old unit is a 1988 model and still working with no problems. However, it is getting old. The seer is only about an 8 at best, and I am thinking about replacing it. Power bills aren't too bad, but I did a lot of work replacing all the windows in the house with low e double paned and energy efficient designs which has helped a huge amount. I am researching manufacturers on this site to pick my next heat pump, but Carrier, Heil, Trane, Lennox, pretty much any of these are rated poorly by those writing in. Maybe I should just stay with what I have until it does fail...

Date created: 2010-05-02 Name: N. Hill
Location: NC

"Heil - 12 seer"
Several years ago, I replaced a 25 year old heat pump (Trane, I think) with a Heil. Within the first 3 weeks of installment, I called the installer to come out about 13 times. He finally just ignored me and I called the district supervisor. He told me the day before he had received a fax about replacement computer parts on the Heil. Seems as if their replacement part was a dud. The installer got another circuit board from a brand new Heil and it worked okay for a couple of years. My electric bill was lower because it was more enegy efficient. After about 3 years, the compressor went out. They supposedly gave me a replacement but I had to pay an installer 550.00. I live in NC and we had an unusally cold winter with many days in the teens. I almost froze all winter. The temperature would not get above 55 in the house. Just as soon as it warmed up to about 30-40 degrees, the unit seemed to be working perfectly. Now it is summer and I am burning up because it is 92 outside and 82 inside. The unit has run and run and will not cut off. It cannot get the temp below 82 in the house. Does anybody know what could be wrong with this piece of crap? I have had more trouble with this unit in 5 years than I ever did with my old one in 25 years of use. My old unit was struck by lightning. I will never purchase another Heil. Not only is the unit crap, but so is their customer service. I finally gave up on Heil helping me but I am helping them by telling everybody I know not to ever purchase a Heil. Maybe this will give them more time to make their unit more effective since their sales will be down.

Date created: 2010-04-05 Name: M. Herron

"Heil 4 ton heatpump"
In 2003, I had my outdoor heat pump replaced with a Heil. The company that sold it said it was as good as a Trane & less expensive. I have always been told these units were normally good for at least 12 years. This is only 7 yrs. We had another company out to see what was wrong - he said the unit's vibration rubbed a hole in the coil and if we replaced the coil it would be about $2800.00 or we might as well buy a whole new unit for $3500.00. I feel like if this is a manufacturer's flaw (if the unit vibrates too much) and wears a hole in the coil, I think the Heil company should replace it, even if it is over the 5 year warranty.

Date created: 2010-03-05 Name: E. Gillon

"4 ton Heil heat pump"
Well, it looks like it is finally going down. This Heil 7000 has been chunking away through 95 degree summers and pretty cold winters in a early 70's house with 2800 heated square feet and not so great insulation with so so windows that don't help. It has been a real soldier. Our power bill dropped 30 to 40 percent for the most of the year. Looking at a new Heil. Just hope it is as good as the last 3 units including my rentals.