Consumer Reviews of Heil heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2014?

Read more about Heil heat pumps

Date created: 2010-10-03 Name: T Orr
Location: Roanoke, VA

"Heil-Carrier review"
My home is 19 years old. Original equipment are Carrier split units for upstairs and down. I will tell you the Carrier systems worked flawlessly until the fan went out on the outside unit (condenser) serving the upstairs about 3 years ago. So, because of the age of the unit, I decided to go ahead and replace the whole condenser. Got a good deal on a Heil 12 SEER condenser so I had an installer put it in. I've had zero problems with this new unit that is mated to my existing Carrier air handler.

Date created: 2010-09-28 Name: T.Hurt
Location: Weeksbury, Ky

"Homeowner"
Purchased unit in 1987. Lost 1 sensor in 1 week. Installer replaced free. Replaced compressor after 21 years.Live in Ky.Pretty rough winters in 22 years.Cant complain

Date created: 2010-09-23 Name: R Marmor
Location: Phoenix

"Can't Complain"
I've had a 12 SEER 4T running flawlessly for 10 years, and we get temps here regularly of 107 to 115. Recently started having some problems and had two local repair companies evaluate the unit. Each declared something different to be wrong, and quoted nearly $2000 to fix. Both counseled replacement. On a recommendation, I finally got someone honest and capable to look at it, and $400 later the unit is humming away nicely again. The problem was a line from the TXV valve. It rubbed against something and over 10 years wore a tiny hole which caused it to malfunction. I was told that the problem is not uncommon on Heils. The part was a couple of hundred dollars, plus $125 to put it in. The issue though, is that two supposedly reputable companies diagnosed that same problem as too expensive to repair. Someone else wrote in here about a hole being rubbed in their unit, saying it was a coil. I hope the individual didn't really have this problem, and got taken for a ride. Bottom line: I can't complain about the unit, just some of the service people out there.

Date created: 2010-09-05 Name: P McGurk

I don't know about yours but mine was junk! Outdoor coil leaked from day 1 and couldn't find leak had to refill every year.5 years and 2 months in coil has sprung multiple leaks oil everywhere. service tech says no coil to replace but HEIL will build a new one but with labour would be the same cost as new unit not sure what to replace with trne has 10years parts and labour

Date created: 2010-08-25 Name: m coby
Location: mobile,al

"Heil is shit"
I have 12 heil units on new building since 2003. These units have been nothing but trouble. never again

Date created: 2010-08-14 Name: Billy Dorris
Location: sc

"2.5 ton 10 seer"
Technician couldn't say enough bad things about my Comfortair, but didn't have a single problem in 10 years, until the compressor went out and tech talked me into replacing the whole thing. Heil is junk. Had two service calls per year for everything from a burned capacitor to replacing the compressor. I have only owned it for 5 years but will not buy another one, and would suggest anyone reading this doesn't either. Wiring is weak, parts are third world. Contactor and relays are far too small and open to environment to last very long.

Date created: 2010-08-02 Name: Danny Carden

"Heil heat pump"
My mom has had Heil pump for eight years compared to a Coleman she had twenty three years. The Coleman had little problems over the years till it needed replacement but the Heil has been awful and will never invest in one. Going to something else this time. So much for repeating mistakes, mistakes, mistakes.

Date created: 2010-07-04 Name: K. Cedola

"Bottom of the line-HEIL"
Had a Heil unit installed when we had our basement finished out. Compressor went out and the contractor and sub contractor are out of business so can't get any warranty info. It is going to cost us almost $2000.00 to replace the compressor, and now I'm trying to decide if it wouldn't be worth just putting a new unit in from a reputable company. (Trane)

Date created: 2010-05-20 Name: Rob M.

"Heil -a real P.O.S"
House came with Heil unit, was new in 2002. Has never worked right, had it serviced over and over with predictable results. Money leaves my wallet and then we do it all over again in 4 months when it's dead again. Blows hot air in summer, cold air in winter, runs all the time, and is very noisy, other than that Heil is really good. If you are dumb enough to buy a Heil, program your installer/repairman on speed dial, you're going to need him often.

Date created: 2010-05-13 Name: Rich

"Ancient but still going"
My old unit is a 1988 model and still working with no problems. However, it is getting old. The seer is only about an 8 at best, and I am thinking about replacing it. Power bills aren't too bad, but I did a lot of work replacing all the windows in the house with low e double paned and energy efficient designs which has helped a huge amount. I am researching manufacturers on this site to pick my next heat pump, but Carrier, Heil, Trane, Lennox, pretty much any of these are rated poorly by those writing in. Maybe I should just stay with what I have until it does fail...