Consumer Reviews of Heil heat pumps

Read more about Heil heat pumps

Date created: 2016-05-26 Name: B. Spears
Location: Sterling, VA

"Great HVAC system, would definitely recommend."
I really like the Heil product line. It is very similar to Carrier, they share many of the same features and build quality. I recommend them to my friends and family and will install one in my home the next time I need a system. I really like their higher end models, the 2 stage 19 SEER units and communicating indoor units. I think they are great.

Date created: 2016-04-18 Name: Mike M.
Location: Northern Virginia

"Still going after 15+ years"
My Heil 4 ton heat pump has never given me any trouble in the 13 years I have lived in our home. It was a couple years old when we moved in around 2003, and other than some corrosion on the lower cooling condenser fins, it still runs great. As for the corrosion, I should have put some gravel down around the exterior unit to reduce the dirt infiltration into the base of the condenser--that would have extended its service life.

Date created: 2015-12-26 Name: C. Kennedy
Location: Highland Heights, KY

"Utter hellish noise"
One was just put and it makes a hellish grinding noise so loud no one can sleep. It has been worked on several times to no avail.

Date created: 2015-12-10 Name: Alison
Location: Winston-Salem, NC

"Old Heil still going"
Our house has never been evenly heated or cooled, but I think that is a sizing issue and a result of the home design (open concept). The heat pump was installed 18 years ago, has never had a major issue (shorted by a lightning strike...but can't blame the unit for that!) and is only now starting to sound like it is going to quit. While I am sad to have to buy another heat pump I can honestly say that we got our money's worth out of this one!

Date created: 2015-11-20 Name: don bryant
Location: Columbia, TN

"Customer"
This is my first Heil heat pump. I have always used Carrier. This seems to be an abnormally loud unit compared to other units I have used. Time will tell if I like this product or not.

Date created: 2015-10-09 Location: West Lafayette, IN

"Heil Heat Pump Review - Great for 10 months out of the year"
I built a new home in 2011 and my builder installed an all-electric Heil HVAC system. It's worked great when the temperature is between 0 and 100 degrees Fahrenheit. However, the outside temperature in the winter typically gets below 0 degrees in my area which makes the heat pump completely ineffective. There's an electric heater installed which helps a little but it struggles to keep up. For example, we'll have the thermostat set to 68 degrees but it's typical to have an actual indoor temperature of 58-60 degrees when it's below 0 outside. Additionally, anytime the heat pump shuts off there is a loud noise that you can hear throughout my bottom floor. We haven't had any issues with the unit so we assume it's just normal operation. If I were to do it all over again, I would talk to my builder about all of the available options and do my own research prior to authorizing the purchase and installation of the heat pump and HVAC system.

Date created: 2015-07-30 Name: Frank Combs
Location: Roanoke, VA

"Junk says it all"
We installed a Heil heat pump after our old Trane broke down after 22 years of service. Our AC guy recommended this one rather then fixing the old one. Installed in November of 2013, since it's been in service it has not lasted one full season (not year) without breaking down. We've had to have our service man back to our house 9 times so far and I just called him again today. Worst piece of equipment I have ever owned. I tell everyone I know, and that's a lot of contractors, not to install Heil heat pumps in the new homes they're building so they won't have dissatisfied customers. Would give this unit -5 stars!

Date created: 2015-07-21 Name: L Bromilow
Location: Michigan

Model is actually H4H324GKD. Had this equipment installed in August 2011 and it worked fine. First over 90 degree day we had in summer of 2012, the unit failed to cool the house to set temperature of 72. Supposedly fixed a coolant leak and unit worked for the remainder of the summer. First over 90 degree day in 2013, same problem. This time a leaky evaporating coil was replaced. Just hit first over 90 degree day in 2015 and guess what? Evaporating coil leaking again. Pretty sure a heat pump should last more than 4 years and a coil more than 1 or 2 years. I will never purchase another Heil system again. I wouldn't even put one in if it was given to me, that's how disappointed I am with this product. Stay away from Heil.

Date created: 2015-03-19 Name: josh
Location: Texas

"Great equipment"
I've installed Heil equipment for 21 years now and wouldn't recommend any other brand for the money. I have worked on all brands but wouldn't install anything other than Heil. Not to mention that I have a 3 ton Heil heat pump system in my personal house that was installed in 1994 and still runs wonderfully. I wouldn't recommend anything else - "if it's not broke, don't fix it".

Date created: 2015-01-11 Name: Larry Spires
Location: Ozarks, MO

"Heil is junk"
I had a 5 ton Heil installed 5 years ago. During the first six months, it had an indoor coil leak and a bad TXV valve, and then indoor and outdoor leaks. I decided to go to school on heat pumps in Fort Myers, Florida, since I own two rentals with heat pumps. I have installed three Goodman heat pumps on different houses since then and they are very quiet, with zero problems. I now have peace of mind since I can do it all myself. Most HVAC contractors are con artists and if you find an honest one it's like hitting the lottery. I feel sorry for older people who can't install them themselves. I'm 68 years old and was the oldest student at Fort Myers.