Consumer Reviews of GOODMAN heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2017?

Read more about GOODMAN heat pumps

Date created: 2009-01-01 Name: D. West
Location: North Vernon, Indiana

"HKR-20C"
I agree with Joe from Kentucky. I'm having the same problem. I put it in myself, the end of last winter. Now, I've been studying the wiring schemes to try & figure a way to get the elements to burn (increase amps) a little hotter. Havenít followed thru yet, & I'm doubtful of a satisfactory outcome. Frustrated!!!

Date created: 2008-12-30 Name: L Blanks
Location: Fayetteville, GA

"Quality of Installers Is The Key"
I had a Goodman 3-1/2 ton, 13 seer unit installed as a replacement about two years ago. The company and the techs that installed it were excellent. Even the owner of the company was part of the installation crew. The Goodman unit has been and is working perfectly. I'm very satisfied, not only with the hardware, but especially with the company and the team that installed it. That's the key to a successful installation and a satisfied customer.

Date created: 2008-12-21 Name: Alan
Location: Portland, OR

"Works GREAT - So Far"
Only been 6 months but it works really well - puts out way more heat than our 27 year old Westinghouse Hi_Rely did. This is the 14 seer system with the variable speed blower. Really nice airflow, love the slow start up, outdoor unit is very quiet - except when it goes into defrost - then it buzzes pretty loudly for 20 seconds or so.

Date created: 2008-12-20 Name: V. Pacheco
Location: Newport News, VA

"Victor"
Last winter on a rainy/snow day our brand new Goodman heat pump outside started making a very loud noise. I quickly ran outside to check out what was going on and I found a block of ice had formed around the compressor coils. The fan was hitting the ice. Needless to say, I had to shut down the unit and melt the ice with hot water. I never could understand why design such a heating unit to be easily susceptible to icing during wintry mix conditions. Luckily we didn't have too many days like that in Virginia. Now, for this winter, my one year old heat pump stopped working. From reading the postings of other dissatisfied customers, I can say that I experienced similar situations, and now I know I was taken for a ride. I wish I did my homework before spending $3000 on this product. I believe heat pumps in general are not efficient; they draw a lot of energy to operate for a small amount of heat/cooling output.

Date created: 2008-12-19 Name: R Carr
Location: S E Pennsylvania

"Goodman Heat Pump"
Heat Pump works good and backup heat seldom needed. However, the unit is noisey! 3 1/2 ton unit with a scroll comp. Whenever it goes into defrost it sounds like it is going to blow up for about 5 to 10 seconds then it settles down and defrosts itself but then the noise returns again when it comes out of defrost and lasts about the same amount of time. It is coming from the compressor and sounds like liquid being sucked into the unit. It is not overcharged and I guess it is just the nature of the beast.

Date created: 2008-12-11 Name: Charlie Patton
Location: Bethlehem, PA

"Sounds like a Cessna"
I am writing my opinion on the heat pump at my Grandma's 3,800 square foot condo in PA. The house was built about 1994 and the central air/heat pump are believed to be original. It is single-zoned and is a little weak when it comes to keeping the second floor comfortable. The unit does a very good job of heating/cooling the house even in the most extreme of temperatures, but it is noisy as hell and makes a noise like an airplane and vibrates the floors of the master bathroom, as well as keeping anyone sleeping in the basement bedroom next to the air handler awake. In my opinion it is a very reliable unit, just kind of cheaply made and noisy. Also, no matter how good the unit is (even expensive Trane units have this problem), heat pumps will struggle to heat a house in temperatures below 32 degrees.

Date created: 2008-12-11 Name: Daniel Fisher
Location: South Lebanon, OH

"Engineer"
New home installation. Sub-Contractor did a "development" type installation - as fast and as dirty as possible. My unit runs 24/7, but I have to say - bill is cheap when comparing other 1900sq. ft. homes. Furthermore I am investigating some a botched insulation install from the builder. My unit had to be serviced 9 times before the A/C contractor found a defective restrictor in the compressor (was machined too small - simulating a low freon condition) WOO-HOO!!! Recently - my emerg. heater coils have been tripping their breaker - here we go!

Date created: 2008-12-11 Name: Joe
Location: Kentucky

"Goodman heat pump runs allnight?"
I have had this Goodman unit for 4 mouths. The air worked ok, but the heat pump runs all day and night when it is like 30 outside or colder, it just doesnít put out hot heat to shut the heat pump off, the aux heat will come on for about 5mins and it puts out cold air when it is on, that cools the house back down, I have it set on 72 and it will get up to 72 but go back down to 71 and never get the house up to 73 to kick the unit off, it needs to put out warmer heat, Goodman is junk, if you like high bills you will have one if you get a Goodman heat pump!!!

Date created: 2008-12-05 Name: Bill
Location: Mercersburg, PA

"Goodman Sucks"
Brand new unit ..never stops running never heats and never cools...Contractor says it's the best unit on the market..He is as good a contractor as the unit he installed.

Date created: 2008-12-01 Name: B.Gallagher
Location: New Jersey

"I HATE THE GOODMAN PRODUCT"
I am very dissatisfied with the Goodman Heat Pump. The Goodman unit replaced a Lenox unit and I have had issues ever since. First of all, in the heating mode it runs for 20 minutes, stops for about 10-15 minutes, and starts up again. I am finding that it is running 40 minutes out of every hour. Also, like other reviewers, it is so noisy, it wakes me up during the night, and with the tv on, I cannot hear it due to the noise generated by this unit, which as I said, runs almost constantly. Has anyone else experienced this?