Consumer Reviews of GOODMAN heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2017?

Read more about GOODMAN heat pumps

Date created: 2009-01-19 Name: Matt B.
Location: Springfield, MO

"Great Heat pump. Low energy bills."
Bought new house in May 2006 that came with a Goodman heat pump. No problems so far. I read the reviews about unit running all day. Most likely cause is unit is just not big enough for the size of the house. In winter when the outside temp drops much below 32 degrees I turn on the Emergency heat function on my thermostat which turns off the outside compressor and uses the aux heat. House nice and warm. The one and only thing that bugs me is in the summer when it goes into defrost mode and I get to hear a high pitched sound for about 15 seconds that makes my cat run and hide. Also love the low utility bills of around $92 year round in my all electric house.

Date created: 2009-01-18 Name: C Ezell
Location: Sheridan, AR

"House is Cold Again"
I have changed the fan blades once, two compressor motors and it needs another one now. My internal heat is 68 degees and cannot get it any warmer. I will not buy Goodman again.

Date created: 2009-01-18 Name: c. keyes
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio

"Goodman"
I moved into our brand new house 6 months ago, first thing I did was install a Honeywell t-stat that gives outdoor temp. so at 25 degrees and lower it automatically switches to electric heat only. I recommend everyone do that, keeps some of the noise down the saves the unit from defrosting all the time. but still have to agree, heat pumps suck!

Date created: 2009-01-17 Name: A Frank

"Not a happy camper."
My 5 ton unit is 22 months old and the compressor has failed. Installer came by tonight and said the warranty that includes labor ended after one year, of course it did. Now I am looking at a $350 labor charge. I plan to write to them to let them know I am a very dissatisfied customer. An odd thing is that I turned down the first two units delivered, first one looked used and second had a big dent in side. Go figure.

Date created: 2009-01-15 Name: P Bruni
Location: Cherry Hill, NJ

"GREAT PRODUCT"
Does everything they said it would. Lowered elec bills heats and cools house and even my sons room is warm or cool now and never was with my old unit. Don't hesitate get a Goodman. Make sure you match the outdoor unit with the indoor unit and they run so good together. Variable speed is a must.

Date created: 2009-01-12 Name: C. March

"Goodman HVAC Heat Pumpps"
Five years ago I had three Goodman HVAC units installed in my house (1- 1.5t, 1-@.5t, 1- 3t). Since the installation my 1.5t compressor went out and it's less expensive to replace the entire HVAC unit then to replace the compressor. I had to completely replace my 3t unit because the blower unit coils rusted beyond repair and continually leaked freon, and now my 2.5t unit will not shut off. I have spent several thousands of dollars calling HVAC technicians as Goodman avoids doing anything to assist. I am completely unhappy with the units and if anyone takes these blogs seriously...Do Not buy a Goodman unit!!!

Date created: 2009-01-09 Name: P. Siegel
Location: Phoenix, AZ

"Goodman Heat Pump"
I have reservations about the build quality of my Goodman builder special heat pump installed on my Phoenix home. After just a couple years, the unit stopped cooling. The problem was traced to some improperly installed refrigerant lines that chaffed, developed a hole, and leaked. The local Goodman distributor was much less than helpful in getting the problem fixed. He finally agreed to pay for half of the repair costs. I have had a recurring problem with the contactor burning. The compressor will run, but the fan does not come on. When that happens, I know enough to just go get another contactor. Several technicians have been unable to identify why this keeps happening. When the unit got to be about 8 years old, it developed a slow leak in one of the coils. Repair estimates were about $750. I elected instead to recharge the unit, which would last for 8 - 9 months. Now a recharge gets me about 4 - 5 months.

Date created: 2009-01-09 Name: Phillip Davidson
Location: New Bern, North Carolina

"Goodman package unit"
My landlord installed a package unit on the home I rent. This thing is loud with vibrations on most every cycle. My neighbors can hear it inside their home with their doors and windows closed.

Date created: 2009-01-08 Name: M. McBroom

"OK so far"
My unit is 8 years old. So far, it's operating okay. I've had only a couple of minor problems. It is slightly noisy, but not any more so than other brands that we had previously.

Date created: 2009-01-08 Name: Kevin Wade
Location: Terrace BC. Canada

"Home Works: Mr"
Been reading the reviews here, wow. I install these and they are a goodproduct. I have a 2.5ton 10 seer unit over a Carrier 92% Nat Gas Furnace. I run it down to -4degC (24degF) in a 1750sq ft + heated crawl space House. Just a thought of things Home owners have to do to help themselves. ~Keep unit clean of debris(snow/grass clippings and leaves). ~Noise in house: Make sure the copper lines are insulated and not touching copper to wood/metal. You will get noise transmission from the condensing unit if it is touching. Pipe insulation to wood/metal is ok but bare copper to wood/metal equals noise. ~Insulation!Insulation!Insulation! ~Air to Air units will run longer in low temperature conditions(30degF) ~Keep doors and windows closed to keep your heat in. Drafty doors and windows do not help. ~Use a good auto-switching thermostat. Not one from the local Hardwear store. ~Heat Pumps are about changing our waistfull ways. You've taken this step to purchase one because of your energy cost. I turn people down for installs because the windows in there homes are substandard. It wouldblow out a candle on a windy day inside the home. The heat that heatpumps deliver are subtle over duration heat during low temp conditions. It will run longer. If the home is drafty that subtle heat will just get pushed out the door. ~Have your defrost interval time decreased if heavy icing is occuring. ~Lastly, keep check on the blower filter. If you don't use one, your coil will plug with lint, hair and dust.