Consumer Reviews of GOODMAN heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2014?

Read more about GOODMAN heat pumps

Date created: 2008-08-09 Name: Unhappy Goodman Customer
Location: Tampa, FL

"What a noisy pile of junk"
My condensing unit is so noisy that my neighbors complained to the police. I now have two cinder blocks on top to stop the vibration. The contractor talked me into this product saying it was great. What a mistake I made buying it. Now I am stuck with a $5000 pile of junk!

Date created: 2008-08-05 Name: P Swackhammer
Location: Ohio

"My Goodman Heat Pump"
This unit lasted 10 years without any trouble, then all of a sudden the compressor went out. We are going to get another heat pump instead of putting more money in this one.

Date created: 2008-08-03 Name: D Gazaway
Location: Wilson, Oklahoma

"Heat pump dont cool at all"
We have had a lot of trouble with it sents we got it . I think the compresser is out again I wish some new how to fix it right, we cant afford to keepfixing it

Date created: 2008-07-28 Name: Don James
Location: Pittsboro, NC

"It's Good, Man"
We had a Train unit before and it couldn't heat or cool the far rooms of the house. Cold in the winter and hot in the summer. The Goodman works very well. So far so good. The Train had a 10 year warranty and the compressor went out at 9 years. They wanted $1500-2000 to put a new compressor in with no warranty. The Goodman was $2500 installed with a 15 year warranty. I'll get back to you in a few years.

Date created: 2008-07-20 Name: Russ
Location: Fayetteville, NC

"Good unit for a good price"
Bought an existing 12 year old home with 3 zones, all Goodman heat pumps, all running like a top. As a mechanical engineer, I've done the research like some, but I've also been involved with investigating failures. As some have said on this post, most of the failures I have seen over the last 20-years that weren't "bad out of the box" (and anybody can get one of those), were the cause of the installer. I can't count the number of failures I see caused by undersized ductwork or incorrectly installed refrigerant line sets trapping oil, or incorrect refrigerant charges causing unit failures. There are manufacturers installation instructions for a reason. So when these do finally fail, I will replace them with Goodman, with a quality mechanic for a proper installation.

Date created: 2008-07-19 Name: Janice Fulton
Location: Vandalia, Ohio

"Very Disgruntled Customer"
I have had nothing but problems with the Goodman mini-split ductless units that I had installed. Both units have needed repairs almost yearly, some repairs have been very costly. I would not recommend Goodman units. I had to spend $573.00 today on one unit and it is still not working correctly

Date created: 2008-07-17 Name: C Strahan
Location: Wetumpka, Al

"Ms."
Purchased home in 2006. Goodman Heat Pump 6 yrs old. I don't know if previous owner had any repairs but we have already had 1 due to leak in tubing. Now we are in the process of replacing the coil in the air handler. Goodman Mgr Co. said part out of warranty and would not replace. Even if part in warranty the installation charge would be $550.00 to replace coils.

Date created: 2008-07-11 Name: G. Maynard
Location: Raleigh, NC

"Retail Advisor for Greater Raleigh Region"
Very loud and runs all the time. Have had two service calls so far when freon leaked out twice. Now the fan sounds like an old model t Ford. Came new with the house. Should I just jerk them both out and go with another brand or suffer with these on again and off again units?

Date created: 2008-06-29 Name: P Etheridge
Location: Milton, FL

"Completely satisfied"
I have owned my Goodman unit for a little over 11 years, and I am completely satisfied with the way it heats and cools. In that period of time, I have had a total of (4) service calls. One was to have a fan motor replaced, that was covered under the warranty, which, by the way, was a 10 year warranty, that covered all functional parts. The second was for a bad relay, which I believe cost me a total of $65.00. I normally do most of the maintenance work, such as cleaning coils. keeping drain lines clear, etc. One time I had the company that installed the unit to perform this work, and paid $85.00 for that. The unit has never had to be recharged with freon. I don't know why so many have had so many problems on this forum. The only reason I could think of, is perhaps the contractors may be cutting corners somewhere?

Date created: 2008-06-23 Name: Ray Worsham
Location: Central Texas

"Bad news"
The unit I have did not last a year. I will not run more than a few days without failing. The coils are rotting and this thing is only five years old. If you love paying the HVAC contractor and the electric utility this is the brand for you. It is no wonder they do not put a badge on the units.