Consumer Reviews of GOODMAN heat pumps

Read more about GOODMAN heat pumps

Date created: 2009-01-23 Name: L Sledge
Location: Virginia

"Larry"
Our Goodman unit is 4.5 years old. It stopped working within the first 6-8 months. Repairman said the compresser was too "tight" and installed an induction coil to boost the current going to the compresser so it would start. Within 6-8 months, it wouldn't start again and there was a wire burnt into. Wire repaired. Within ~6 months wouldn't start. Another wire burnt into. That wire was replaced. Withing 6-8 months, wouldn't start. More wires burnt into. this time replaced a unit on the heat pump that was the problem.Within 6-8 months, wouldn't cool.The condenser had a hold in it and all the freon was gone. Had it fixed.I Was told it had rusted into. Now, 4.5 years after the installation, won't cool or heat. a number of wires are burnt into, the booster is blown and who knows what else. Waiting to see what it will cost this time. I would love to know if anyone else has had a compresser that was too "tight" and has had these type of electrical issues.

Date created: 2009-01-21 Name: Dan Hinton
Location: Toronto, Canada

"Please Be Objective"
People, I am a certified installer of all heating and cooling systems, and an energy consultant. Most of you who are dissatisfied in one way or another are describing installation issues. A properly sized heat pump will heat and cool wonderfully for many years. If it is undersized, or without back-up of some kind, you will be forever dissatisfied with it's performance. Any climate that experiences 0 degrees F. or colder, should have back-up heat. This is still highly dependant on your house size, insulation value, percentage of window coverage, house orientation, number of floors, solar heat gain, etc. Unfortunately, there are so many yahoos out there who don't know what they are doing. Please do your research before you commit to the lowest price.

Date created: 2009-01-21 Name: Joe
Location: Hickory, NC

"HOMEOWNER"
I am involved in the hvac industry working for a manufacturer (not Goodman by they way). In reading these reviews I actually have to laugh. The average homeowner does not understand what a heat pump does or how it works...hint : they do not blow hot air - they transfer heat! I have had dealings with every major manufacturer of hvac equipment in my career and selected Goodman based on quality and value. I am a raving fan and suggest anyone with issues ask for a load calculation. I can assure you that the box works - your issue is with the installation or application. Use a good contractor (get referrals) and purchase the extended warranty - then you will not have out of pocket expense with repairs. You would not buy a car or a new home without a labor warranty - why do you think that a heat pump is any different????

Date created: 2009-01-19 Name: Matt B.
Location: Springfield, MO

"Great Heat pump. Low energy bills."
Bought new house in May 2006 that came with a Goodman heat pump. No problems so far. I read the reviews about unit running all day. Most likely cause is unit is just not big enough for the size of the house. In winter when the outside temp drops much below 32 degrees I turn on the Emergency heat function on my thermostat which turns off the outside compressor and uses the aux heat. House nice and warm. The one and only thing that bugs me is in the summer when it goes into defrost mode and I get to hear a high pitched sound for about 15 seconds that makes my cat run and hide. Also love the low utility bills of around $92 year round in my all electric house.

Date created: 2009-01-18 Name: C Ezell
Location: Sheridan, AR

"House is Cold Again"
I have changed the fan blades once, two compressor motors and it needs another one now. My internal heat is 68 degees and cannot get it any warmer. I will not buy Goodman again.

Date created: 2009-01-18 Name: c. keyes
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio

"Goodman"
I moved into our brand new house 6 months ago, first thing I did was install a Honeywell t-stat that gives outdoor temp. so at 25 degrees and lower it automatically switches to electric heat only. I recommend everyone do that, keeps some of the noise down the saves the unit from defrosting all the time. but still have to agree, heat pumps suck!

Date created: 2009-01-17 Name: A Frank

"Not a happy camper."
My 5 ton unit is 22 months old and the compressor has failed. Installer came by tonight and said the warranty that includes labor ended after one year, of course it did. Now I am looking at a $350 labor charge. I plan to write to them to let them know I am a very dissatisfied customer. An odd thing is that I turned down the first two units delivered, first one looked used and second had a big dent in side. Go figure.

Date created: 2009-01-15 Name: P Bruni
Location: Cherry Hill, NJ

"GREAT PRODUCT"
Does everything they said it would. Lowered elec bills heats and cools house and even my sons room is warm or cool now and never was with my old unit. Don't hesitate get a Goodman. Make sure you match the outdoor unit with the indoor unit and they run so good together. Variable speed is a must.

Date created: 2009-01-12 Name: C. March

"Goodman HVAC Heat Pumpps"
Five years ago I had three Goodman HVAC units installed in my house (1- 1.5t, 1-@.5t, 1- 3t). Since the installation my 1.5t compressor went out and it's less expensive to replace the entire HVAC unit then to replace the compressor. I had to completely replace my 3t unit because the blower unit coils rusted beyond repair and continually leaked freon, and now my 2.5t unit will not shut off. I have spent several thousands of dollars calling HVAC technicians as Goodman avoids doing anything to assist. I am completely unhappy with the units and if anyone takes these blogs seriously...Do Not buy a Goodman unit!!!

Date created: 2009-01-09 Name: P. Siegel
Location: Phoenix, AZ

"Goodman Heat Pump"
I have reservations about the build quality of my Goodman builder special heat pump installed on my Phoenix home. After just a couple years, the unit stopped cooling. The problem was traced to some improperly installed refrigerant lines that chaffed, developed a hole, and leaked. The local Goodman distributor was much less than helpful in getting the problem fixed. He finally agreed to pay for half of the repair costs. I have had a recurring problem with the contactor burning. The compressor will run, but the fan does not come on. When that happens, I know enough to just go get another contactor. Several technicians have been unable to identify why this keeps happening. When the unit got to be about 8 years old, it developed a slow leak in one of the coils. Repair estimates were about $750. I elected instead to recharge the unit, which would last for 8 - 9 months. Now a recharge gets me about 4 - 5 months.