Consumer Reviews of GOODMAN heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2014?

Read more about GOODMAN heat pumps

Date created: 2008-11-30 Name: Dave
Location: Delaware

"Cheap, cheap, cheap"
Back when I bought this unit 6 years ago, some on the Internet boards were saying Goodman made junk, and some were saying those days were past, that it's a good brand now. I had a heat pump and air handler installed in my house. First thing that I noticed when inspecting the heat pump was two copper lines rubbing together--a leak waiting to happen. Fixed that. About a year later, during summer, found a pool of water around the air handler. Turns out, the drip tray is made of cheap, brittle plastic and had split when the installers put in the condensate line. I managed to seal the crack with PVC cement, rather than pay hundreds to have the tray replaced. This past summer, one day the A/C unit would not shut off, even after the air handler had stopped and the thermostat turned off. Had to flip the circuit breaker and the problem seemed to fix it self. Now, during the Thanksgiving holiday weekend, the blower motor has failed. No emergency heat available. I noticed early on that the units were constructed with the cheapest sheet metal, Chinese boards and valves, and Mexican made motors. I will never buy another product from this company.

Date created: 2008-11-24 Name: Cheryl Streeval

"Goodman Heat Pump"
We have had nothing but problems with our Goodman heating and cooling equipment. We have had five service calls in a little over a year, now our blower is so loud it keeps us up at night. The goverment should take Goodman products off the market.

Date created: 2008-11-22 Name: J.GAINER
Location: Pineville, WV

"Gph1360h21ab"
Very noisey, air is cool when heat is on

Date created: 2008-11-19 Name: T. Dietz
Location: Owenton, KY

"New 4 ton heat pump"
Have 4 ton 16 seer heat pump, electric backup. Blower noisy inside house; never seems to shut off and blows cold; Was highly recommended by our local utility company for efficiency and the company we hired. Our utility bills were outrageous last winter. Over $700 a month last winter. No wonder the utility company recommends it! In first place, heat pumps don't belong in the north; maybe down south. Wish I had done my research more thoroughly!

Date created: 2008-11-15 Name: Keith

"Only As Good As The Install"
First of all, and am a 11+ year HVAC service tech, Nate certified all that good stuff. I have worked on and installed just about every brand equipment listed on this site. It's true there are a lot of junk out there, all brands have built models that were junk, but it does not make everything they build now, or have built in the past junk. I do not care how good the equipment is, if the installation is poor the performance and reliability will be poor. I have found that 3/4 of the time poor performance and early failure is from the system not being sized correctly, or poor installation. I have a gsh1330 heat pump and 3-speed matching air handler, the only thing I recommend is using a txv metering device, the fixed metering device has poor performance. There is nothing wrong with the "Newer" Goodman equipment, they use Copeland compressors, decent reversing valves, and I have yet to have a leaking coil.

Date created: 2008-11-10 Name: R Sweeney
Location: Hernando, MS

"5.0 ton 16 seer goodman heat pump"
Just replaced my A/C - propane system with a Goodman heat pump. I finished the installation about 2 months ago and can not be happier. Cools great and I've used it for heating for the past 3 weeks and it keeps the house at 70 degrees without using the heat strips. The coldest day I've had so far has been 35 degrees.

Date created: 2008-10-29 Name: J. Lippert
Location: Clarksville, TN

"Goodman is Bad Man"
I bought a brand new Goodman 2.5 ton heat pump in September 2007. The main draw was the price and 10 year warranty. Nobody else can match that. Of course now, I have a refrigerant leak that is not covered under warranty and the contractor wants to charge me $500 to fix. Thanks for nothing Goodman, you piece of crap.

Date created: 2008-10-20 Name: Kent McPeters
Location: Florence, SC

"Bad compressor"
I had my Goodman heat pump check, the circuit breaker had been tripped. I was told the compressor is bad and the cost will be $1479.00 to replace the compressor. What is the warranty on Goodman compressors and is $1479 too much or should I replace the entire unit?

Date created: 2008-10-14 Name: Robert
Location: VA

"I don't own a Goodman"
One of my childhood friends is an A/C guy for a big company in Va. I told im I was looking at a Goodman. He told me he would not install it. He had done acouple of them and they where trouble from the start. This guy knows what he's doing! He work's on A/C units bigger than tracktor trailers!

Date created: 2008-10-08 Name: Bryan Graham
Location: Curwensville, PA

"Just installed my first"
Goodman heat pump. a 4 ton 16 seer. It's as quiet as a church mouse. If your system is loud then there must be an installation problem. Had a local Trane dealer put it in and compared it very favorably to Trane. Best warranty in the business, 10 years parts and lifetime compressor. Nobody else in the heat pump business offers this. My company has sold many Goodman heat pumps and has only 1 problem to speak of which was fixed the next day. We do also offer other heat pump brands but push Goodman because we have found them very reliable. I wouldn't risk my reputation on selling people junk. Reputation = Sales