Consumer Reviews of GOODMAN heat pumps

Read more about GOODMAN heat pumps

Date created: 2009-02-07 Name: david holl

"David from s.c."
I just bought a 3.5 13 seer goodman. it was very noisy. fixed the problem by sticking a treated wood wedge under the accumalator to keep it from vibrating on the sheet metal floor.

Date created: 2009-02-06 Name: Charles Knight
Location: Harrisonburg, VA

"Home owner"
I purchased an Amana 14 seer rated 3 ton unit this past summer. I've had nothing but problems with the unit. I'd say the vendor has been out at least a dozen times or more. They were finally able to fix the cooling problems, but the heating problems continue to this day. It seems the colder it is outside the louder the unit becomes. It sounds like a helicopter in the distance, but not to distant. Sometimes it's louder than other times. My neighbor has complained about the noise. My youngest who was here at Thanksgiving complained, too. My oldest son who was here during Christmas couldn't believe the excess noise of this unit. This problem still exist and I'm more than disatisfied with your product. I'm at the point where if this thing can't be fixed to my satisfaction that I will have the unit extracted and replaced by another vendors product.

Date created: 2009-02-06 Name: C. Knight
Location: Harrisonburg, VA

"Home owner"
I've had the heat pump less than a year

Date created: 2009-02-04 Name: B. Warren
Location: Tennessee

"Home owner"
I had a contractor replace 3 of my heat pumps 8 yrs ago when I build on a huge master suite to my house. I specifically requested Trane Heat Pumps. When I got home one day, the contractor had installed 3 Goodman Heat Pumps instead. When I complained, he told me that Goodman was just a good as Trane and about the same price. Two of the units work fine, but the main 3 1/2 ton unit has been a problem from the get go. I have to have it recharged twice a year. It runs constantly to keep a sustained inside temperature of 72 degrees. It is very noisy and the defrost cycle works off and on. I am in the process of having a contractor replace it with a Trane unit. Goodman is a piece of junk and you cannot get any satisfaction on the alledged warranty.

Date created: 2009-02-01 Name: Pete
Location: Tyler, TX

"DIY Installers"
This Message is For People like d West That Think They know every thing and can do a hvac Installation. Listening to some one say they are trying to reconfigure the wiring to get more Amps? Wire the Stat Correct and wire the low voltage correct and you will have all The electric emergency heat you need. a properly Trained hvac Tec should do your install and wiring.HVAC Equipment is only as good as the installer. The people having all this trouble with a hvac companies! Should check this! Are you dealing with a licensed Tec or some one working under some one else’s Lic.Over charge systems under charged, Bad wiring. There is a reason why your system failed or is going to fail. I have an old 10 seer 4 Ton heat pump. I am in East Texas. It has been in the low 30 to 20 at night. Every winter and I have no Problem with my heat pump. I Have 1,900 sq ft with lots of Glass and high ceiling. My electric runs in the low$ 150 to $200 on the coldest or hottest Months. I pay .12 cents a kw “I sell and Install Goodman". I have yet to have a failure due to the mfg. There is always a reason for the failure. One the of the worst is improper wiring of the stat and defrost heat setting. Next is Under size Ref Lines and poor installation. Poor evac did not use Nitrogen when installed, contaminants in line left by old system. Over sized unit and poor mechanical duct. If you purchased a unit From Wholesale Ac or over the internet and diy, you deserve what you get. And by now you know that’s nothing. Use licensed HVACs. Preferred Goodman Good Care Dealer and have a peace of mind. The Goodman Extended warranty cost as low as 49.00 and worth every penny Goodman still leads the Nation in sales and service. And Again If You're a DIY Good Luck.

Date created: 2009-02-01 Name: Pete
Location: Tyler, TX

"DIY Installers"
You get what you get. 99.9% is the fault of the installer

Date created: 2009-01-23 Name: L Sledge
Location: Virginia

"Larry"
Our Goodman unit is 4.5 years old. It stopped working within the first 6-8 months. Repairman said the compresser was too "tight" and installed an induction coil to boost the current going to the compresser so it would start. Within 6-8 months, it wouldn't start again and there was a wire burnt into. Wire repaired. Within ~6 months wouldn't start. Another wire burnt into. That wire was replaced. Withing 6-8 months, wouldn't start. More wires burnt into. this time replaced a unit on the heat pump that was the problem.Within 6-8 months, wouldn't cool.The condenser had a hold in it and all the freon was gone. Had it fixed.I Was told it had rusted into. Now, 4.5 years after the installation, won't cool or heat. a number of wires are burnt into, the booster is blown and who knows what else. Waiting to see what it will cost this time. I would love to know if anyone else has had a compresser that was too "tight" and has had these type of electrical issues.

Date created: 2009-01-21 Name: Dan Hinton
Location: Toronto, Canada

"Please Be Objective"
People, I am a certified installer of all heating and cooling systems, and an energy consultant. Most of you who are dissatisfied in one way or another are describing installation issues. A properly sized heat pump will heat and cool wonderfully for many years. If it is undersized, or without back-up of some kind, you will be forever dissatisfied with it's performance. Any climate that experiences 0 degrees F. or colder, should have back-up heat. This is still highly dependant on your house size, insulation value, percentage of window coverage, house orientation, number of floors, solar heat gain, etc. Unfortunately, there are so many yahoos out there who don't know what they are doing. Please do your research before you commit to the lowest price.

Date created: 2009-01-21 Name: Joe
Location: Hickory, NC

"HOMEOWNER"
I am involved in the hvac industry working for a manufacturer (not Goodman by they way). In reading these reviews I actually have to laugh. The average homeowner does not understand what a heat pump does or how it works...hint : they do not blow hot air - they transfer heat! I have had dealings with every major manufacturer of hvac equipment in my career and selected Goodman based on quality and value. I am a raving fan and suggest anyone with issues ask for a load calculation. I can assure you that the box works - your issue is with the installation or application. Use a good contractor (get referrals) and purchase the extended warranty - then you will not have out of pocket expense with repairs. You would not buy a car or a new home without a labor warranty - why do you think that a heat pump is any different????

Date created: 2009-01-19 Name: Matt B.
Location: Springfield, MO

"Great Heat pump. Low energy bills."
Bought new house in May 2006 that came with a Goodman heat pump. No problems so far. I read the reviews about unit running all day. Most likely cause is unit is just not big enough for the size of the house. In winter when the outside temp drops much below 32 degrees I turn on the Emergency heat function on my thermostat which turns off the outside compressor and uses the aux heat. House nice and warm. The one and only thing that bugs me is in the summer when it goes into defrost mode and I get to hear a high pitched sound for about 15 seconds that makes my cat run and hide. Also love the low utility bills of around $92 year round in my all electric house.