Consumer Reviews of GOODMAN heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2017?

Read more about GOODMAN heat pumps

Date created: 2009-06-26 Name: Roy Rouser

"Goodman Junk"
I just had my compressor replaced on my 3 year old unit. It cost me 700 dollars for labor and freon. Goodman is junk!

Date created: 2009-06-25 Name: matthew
Location: Fort Worth

"Review"
I bought a 2.5 ton goodman heat pump of the internet and did 95% of the install myself. The unit arrived packaged and in good condition at my home. I had a lisenced installer pressurize the system and start it up. We are currently having 100+ degree days here in Fort Worth, and I am able to cool the house down to 68 within a very short amount of time. I have had this unit for about 1 month now, and am very pleased sofar

Date created: 2009-06-23 Name: C. Hurst
Location: TN

"Goodman Heat Pump w/bad evaporator coil"
I have owned many different homes over the years with several brands of heat pumps. All were new when I moved in and gave me good service for 2 to 5 years - except for my Goodman. I just paid $180 to get it recharged and to identify the source of the leak. The problem is with the evaporator coil that has corroded. This is not an installation issue. It is clearly an issue caused by a poor quality component. My service guy told me that this was a common problem. The new coil is going to cost me $650 just for labor. Ouch! If I lived in FL or somewhere else on the coast this might be understandable but not in middle TN.

Date created: 2009-06-23 Name: Larry Mellott

"Goodman Heatpump"
Had a Goodman 2.5 ton Heat Pump installed last fall by warranty company contractor. System failed last week and tech had 2 replace transformer already!!! Hope this is not an omen!

Date created: 2009-06-22 Name: Jim Carlson

"Run The Other Way - This Is JUNK"
I have owned this piece of garbage for 4 years. The company that installed it is very reputable and to their credit they did tell me at the beginning that they did not have a lot of experience with this brand but felt comfortable enough to recommend it as a low cost alternative based on their warranty. I have regretted buying this unit from day one. Everything was fine, the unit cooled well, the installers left and then....the unit would not shut down! 3 days later and a new circuit board installed, the unit ran fine, technician left, operated properly thru 3 cycles and then....now the main circuit breaker trips. I waited a few minutes & reset the breaker...bam, trips again. Tech came back out...guess what...replacement board defective. This was for openers. I have since had no less than 9 repair calls on this unit. My hvac company has told me that they will not install this brand again and will not even service them unless it was purchased from them. They are also being very generous and crediting 50% of the "labor" bills that I've had to shell out under this so called "warranty" and letting me apply it to a new Carrier. I learned my lesson.

Date created: 2009-06-20 Name: ONO BOB

"Installer/homeowner"
I have installed several of these units and found that most of the problems are pre-exhisting. Not the fault of the new unit. I have only had one Unit that had a bad weld on the reversing valve which I fixed + 16 lbs of freon. on me. The price and the warranty is a seller for me as I live in a very harsh climate on the Gulf. Salt air eats these units alive. 10yr warranty covers it providing you register it on the Goodman web site.

Date created: 2009-06-12 Name: M. Schmitt

"Goodman / Airflo combo 'mis-matched' system"
We accepted a bid for a completely new Airflo (made by Lennox) heat pump set up, duct work and all, completely new. Our immoral scam artist installer actually installed a Goodman air handler in the basement and an Airflo heat pump outside. Mixing the two brands which immediately voided our warranty from day one. Yep, you guessed it, we have had problems and neither company will pay for repairs. We have been out repair cost and been told that our systems life is greatly reduced because it is working together with another brand that it is not disigned to be working with, Heat pumps are very sensitive, not at all like regular electric furnace/ac units. Anyway, we were not this installer's first victims, there are many. Lennox will no longer sell to him but Goodman will. I will never buy a Goodman product because they will let anyone purchase and install their product. At least Lennox shut him down.

Date created: 2009-06-09 Name: Todd Harris

"Goodman Junk"
System needed three compressors in two years. The first year labor was free. The other times it cost me $600-$800 for labor and materials, but the compressor was no charge. Service tech said a bad valve caused the problem. Took three weeks to get the new valve because Goodman did not have it in stock. Stand clear of this junk.

Date created: 2009-06-03 Name: R. Dixon

"DIYer considering Heat Pump install"
The Coleman brand packaged heat pump currently owned has had the compressor short out, unit is in excess of 25 years old, some of the ductwork was not sized correctly. Unit is a packaged 5 ton with auxilary heat strips. Have 3 quotes from hvac contractors for Rheem, York and Lenox. Any helpful advice to go with a self-install Amana/Goodman versus the very expensive contractor quotes?

Date created: 2009-05-27 Name: B. Kendrick
Location: Coastal Florida

"A Good Nine Years"
It's a 5 Ton heat pump unit (12 seer) that functioned without needing repairs for right at nine years. It has has developed a slow (tiny) coil leak, burned the compressor contacts, begun to occasionally rattle loudly in the condenser (outside unit), and shows extreme oxidation of the aluminum vanes on the condenser (they are falling off in small chunks by the handful), which should be no surprise in coastal Florida. Air handler and heating strip (inside portion) are still working well despite being improperly installed (just found out the main ducts are too small).